Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8045787 11/10/20 11:57 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Control panel (I believe) connectors have a male & female. Wires come from motor to control panel then to the battery. The solar panel wires jump in line w/those.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: foodieguy] #8046394 11/11/20 02:14 PM
B
BiggeSmalls Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by foodieguy
Could use some troubleshooting help here....

So we got one of these in AUG but this last week it stopped throwing corn. I was wondering why we stopped seeing stuff on the cellular trail cam. I didnt realize any of this though until Saturday when I went to reset the timer. When we opened it up the battery level indicator had no bars. When we tested, it seems like the motor is firing, can hardly hear it. But the spinner plate barely moves, maybe just like a quarter turn. It didnt seem jammed up, we cleared of any thing and it was feeding well from the hopper. We disconnected/reconnected the battery and the battery level showed fully charged? I have another battery on the way but if that's not it was hoping to get suggestions on how to troubleshoot any other potential electrical issue. Maybe the solar charger isn't doing it's job? The battery was new from the store in August (game winner, academy).

Was also thinking maybe the spinner plate came loose from the motor shaft? How is that attached?

Thanks in advance.

You have a bad battery, the battery level showing fully charged is because it was plugged into the solar panel at the moment, you are seeing the panel voltage. More than likely the connection to the battery wasn't good enough for the panel to charge. Connect the solar panel connections to the battery first, then piggy back the timer off of the solar panel and it should be fine. Either way that battery needs to be charged at home before it's back in use.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8046407 11/11/20 02:24 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
^^THIS^^ - It is ALMOST always the battery.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: Dalroo] #8048982 11/13/20 03:25 AM
F
foodieguy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Yeah, we swapped the battery out and it fired up just fine. The battery level on the original one was at like one bar on the display.

One thing I noticed, before i changed the battery, the battery display said 6V. Plugged the new one in and it swapped to 12v. Did it say 6v because it was dead? Sorry, still learning about the batteries and voltages.

I'm still not sure if the root cause was a bad battery that would not hold a charge or maybe a fault someplace in the charging system/wiring.

thanks for all the help.

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: foodieguy] #8049310 11/13/20 02:57 PM
B
BiggeSmalls Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by foodieguy
Yeah, we swapped the battery out and it fired up just fine. The battery level on the original one was at like one bar on the display.

One thing I noticed, before i changed the battery, the battery display said 6V. Plugged the new one in and it swapped to 12v. Did it say 6v because it was dead? Sorry, still learning about the batteries and voltages.

I'm still not sure if the root cause was a bad battery that would not hold a charge or maybe a fault someplace in the charging system/wiring.

thanks for all the help.

Yup, the battery was in need of replacement. once the battery discharges down to about 7v it will swap over the reading 6v.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8116049 01/05/21 03:37 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Well, after 2 full seasons, I have had ZERO issues other than the initial clogging I mentioned in the original post. Not clogs, no missed cycles no issues what so ever (I may have just jinxed it). We topped them off first weekend in September and didn't touch them until Christmas. I still highly recommend.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8116084 01/05/21 03:58 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by jrfan
Well, after 2 full seasons, I have had ZERO issues other than the initial clogging I mentioned in the original post. Not clogs, no missed cycles no issues what so ever (I may have just jinxed it). We topped them off first weekend in September and didn't touch them until Christmas. I still highly recommend.

Yep. I have one that's been out over 2 years and one over a year. Zero issues. Cows bent one cross-arm a little but nothing major. I have added-just recently- remote activators to both.
Did recently buy a stand-and-fill at the local feed store- Green-go feeder. Well made, but it uses a standard Eliminator plate and cage setup and doesn't throw nearly as evenly or far as the Buccee's do.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #8116345 01/05/21 06:40 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH

Yep. I have one that's been out over 2 years and one over a year. Zero issues. Cows bent one cross-arm a little but nothing major. I have added-just recently- remote activators to both.
Did recently buy a stand-and-fill at the local feed store- Green-go feeder. Well made, but it uses a standard Eliminator plate and cage setup and doesn't throw nearly as evenly or far as the Buccee's do.

Which remote? Does it work well??

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8116461 01/05/21 08:11 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH

Which remote? Does it work well??

The Moultrie. Super easy- clamp on the two wires using the provided taps on the wires to the motor, alligator clamps on the battery. They come with a thin antenna wire. Since the coons tend to pull on everything, I left the wire antenna inside the battery/motor compartment. If you do that, the remote will work only about 25 yards. If you leave the wire hanging out of the door it will work almost 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8146654 01/28/21 02:32 PM
J
jrfan Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
So, I had our first issue this past week. I contribute it to the poor design on the original feeders with the exposed motors and wiring. This particular feeder had the modified cover with the plastic water valve cover that I used to secure the motor and wires. I’m guessing a squirrel chewed the finger hole enough where he could get inside the cover and chewed up one of the wires. I’m not really sure why, I didn’t find a nest or anything, just the one chewed wire. Luckily it was an easy fix. I also cut a thin piece of sheet metal to cover the plastic, so hopefully all is good now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8151155 02/01/21 03:49 PM
B
BiggeSmalls Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I think All Seasons has a cover for that, it might work better and I think it is metal.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: TX_LT230FH] #8151288 02/01/21 05:14 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Why would they use a eliminator plate with a cage?

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: Sidebuster] #8152274 02/02/21 01:27 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sidebuster
Why would they use a eliminator plate with a cage?

Because some raccoons have long arms. I've seen them reach in there and spin the plate.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8174388 02/18/21 04:19 AM
M
MGREEN Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I used a one gallon paint can, L brace mounts, and self tapping screws and it worked great to cover the motor.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8184669 02/26/21 03:48 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
I like the idea of not having a varmint cage to allow the corn to spread out better around the feeder instead of piling up near/beneath it.

I am seriously thinking of buying this feeder at buc-ees with reading all the reviews here as it seems to be a good value for your dollar.
I have a fellow worker here that has bought 4 or 5 of them in the last couple years and he said the first ones they had issues with the wiring shorting out as it was run from inside the feeder through it to the motor through just an open hole in the metal and it rubbed the insulation off that wiring. He said the last 2 they purchased ASF fixed that problem by using a small tubing/conduit to run the wiring through.

Thanks to the OP and all posters here for all this great info posted!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: MGREEN] #8263142 05/11/21 09:58 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by MGREEN
I used a one gallon paint can, L brace mounts, and self tapping screws and it worked great to cover the motor.

Yep good call

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8294768 06/15/21 12:46 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im seriously thinking of buying several of these. Ive read all yall have said. Does anyone have anything to update or add? It sounds like they had some very minor issues but maybe they were corrected?? What changes from the original should I make sure have been done?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8294775 06/15/21 12:55 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
My All Season 400lb version has almost 2 full years under it's belt. It's my pig feeder, not a single problem and the hogs and coons haven't been an issue. Thinking of getting a 600lb Buc-ees one soon.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8295322 06/15/21 04:29 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Trying to figure out how many of these I can get in a trailer. Not a big deal cause I think I can make it work, but does anyone know what the dimensions of base are(foot print?)

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8295718 06/15/21 10:57 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Not getting much feedback, or maybe im just too anxious to write a big check for a bunch of these. ANOTHER question--I heard they started out with some different timer and then they switched to The Timer. Not sure at all thats correct, anybody know?

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8295722 06/15/21 11:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Flip them upside down when hauling them to get max capacity on a trailer. Just take the lids, timer and battery and put them in the back seat of the truck. I takes a few more tie down straps but this is how I hauled large capacity feeder with a wider leg base. You can arrange them when they are upside so the legs blend together. It is another anchoring or tie spot also.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8295802 06/16/21 12:33 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
You need to tie these down especially well since they aren't the heavy gauge steel like a Ramball made feeder.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: Jimbo1] #8295840 06/16/21 01:08 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks Stx and Jimbo.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8297761 06/17/21 09:23 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Just leaving Bucees Terrell. The feeders timers are not The Timer. Kept behind counter for the feeders in unmarked box that’s not sold separately. Says “All Seasons EZ Feeder” timer. Looks complete diff from The Timer. Anyone know if these timers are good or great. All Seasons so I figure good but maybe cutting costs to keep price so low. I just love The Timer an thought they used that.
Also the changes they made to protect underneath look solid. Not indestructible but solid. As others said very easy to add a little protection.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: freerange] #8297804 06/17/21 10:03 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by freerange
Just leaving Bucees Terrell. The feeders timers are not The Timer. Kept behind counter for the feeders in unmarked box that’s not sold separately. Says “All Seasons EZ Feeder” timer. Looks complete diff from The Timer. Anyone know if these timers are good or great. All Seasons so I figure good but maybe cutting costs to keep price so low. I just love The Timer an thought they used that.
Also the changes they made to protect underneath look solid. Not indestructible but solid. As others said very easy to add a little protection.

My All Seasons timer has been flawless for almost 2 full years now. As for underneath...I screwed on a couple of braces and ran a string of barb wire around it to keep the pigs from going underneath.

Last edited by Jimbo1; 06/17/21 10:06 PM.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide