Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,007
Posts9,719,390
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? #8036730 11/04/20 02:42 AM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

20 secs to 44 secs

Who has tried or even heard of this ?

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8036818 11/04/20 03:38 AM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
New to me - can’t smell great though.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8037098 11/04/20 08:12 AM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Many farms in SA burn cow/horse/buffalo/zebra dung at their bowhides. On the farms where I have seen it done the dung is not burnt in the hide - it's done outside either behind or in front of the hide. It doesn't smell bad. On a friend's farm, he burns dung every day for a week or so before the hunters arrive. He lays the dung in a line next to (touching) each other then lights the end piece. As the first piece is almost finished burning it sets the next piece alight and so on. Using that method, he lights the dung in the morning and it burns for a number of hours.

I don't shoot from hides so I have no first-hand experience in the effectiveness of burning dung to mask human scent. However, it does seem to work as I don't think so many farms would use that technique if it was not effective.

If you are going to try it just be careful not to set the farm on fire. Clear all grass, brush, leaves, twigs etc in a 2m radius around the spot where you will burn the dung. I wouldn't think it's a good idea to do it in very windy conditions where the burning dung might be blown into the surrounding brush.

I once cut off the bottom 1/3 of a coke can and dropped a piece of lit dung into it. I attached a wire "handle" so that I could carry it without burning my fingers. I had been hunting kudu unsuccessfully for 2 days - walking from morning to night. The problem was the the wind was very erratic and kept changing and swirling so I kept on being busted. I figured the little mobile dung burner might help but, as it turned out, it was too much of a hassle to carry. It was just too distracting and distractions are not ideal when you are hunting kudu in thick bush. So I abandoned it without properly and fully testing it.

Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8037170 11/04/20 12:58 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
nope

Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Dimitri] #8037200 11/04/20 01:30 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Dimitri
Many farms in SA burn cow/horse/buffalo/zebra dung at their bowhides. On the farms where I have seen it done the dung is not burnt in the hide - it's done outside either behind or in front of the hide. It doesn't smell bad. On a friend's farm, he burns dung every day for a week or so before the hunters arrive. He lays the dung in a line next to (touching) each other then lights the end piece. As the first piece is almost finished burning it sets the next piece alight and so on. Using that method, he lights the dung in the morning and it burns for a number of hours.

I don't shoot from hides so I have no first-hand experience in the effectiveness of burning dung to mask human scent. However, it does seem to work as I don't think so many farms would use that technique if it was not effective.

If you are going to try it just be careful not to set the farm on fire. Clear all grass, brush, leaves, twigs etc in a 2m radius around the spot where you will burn the dung. I wouldn't think it's a good idea to do it in very windy conditions where the burning dung might be blown into the surrounding brush.

I once cut off the bottom 1/3 of a coke can and dropped a piece of lit dung into it. I attached a wire "handle" so that I could carry it without burning my fingers. I had been hunting kudu unsuccessfully for 2 days - walking from morning to night. The problem was the the wind was very erratic and kept changing and swirling so I kept on being busted. I figured the little mobile dung burner might help but, as it turned out, it was too much of a hassle to carry. It was just too distracting and distractions are not ideal when you are hunting kudu in thick bush. So I abandoned it without properly and fully testing it.

Very informative - thanks

Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8037203 11/04/20 01:35 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Just buy you some white sage and burn it. Grandma's people have done it for a few thousand years.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8037463 11/04/20 04:03 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
So burning manure to cover scent? It might help, but so too would anything else that is strong smelling. Of course, it isn't like he doesn't have pigs come in like that when he isn't burning manure.

As Biscuit said, "Nope."

I carry around enough 5#1+ and don't need to carry around actual 5#1+.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8037734 11/04/20 06:54 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
So burning manure to cover scent? It might help, but so too would anything else that is strong smelling. Of course, it isn't like he doesn't have pigs come in like that when he isn't burning manure.

As Biscuit said, "Nope."

I carry around enough 5#1+ and don't need to carry around actual 5#1+.

My thoughts and/or understanding is that this is for static hunting situations and close in encounters .

It sure wouldn’t be something to lug in and out of hunts.

The pigman application is interesting - looks like a no muss no fuss thing , light the stick and and let it burn

I wonder what his recipe is (scent)...

Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8037740 11/04/20 07:03 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
It's always interesting to see what ideas other folks come up with, but I'll just continue to try to stay downwind.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8041414 11/07/20 01:36 PM
T
Tw0fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I’ve heard of standing in the smoke of a wood fire, even if you stink of it you don’t stink of person. So why not a dung fire?

Guess it depends on what you have handy to burn chicken

Jordan

"It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them." -- G. K. Chesterton
Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: der Teufel] #8041418 11/07/20 01:41 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by der Teufel
It's always interesting to see what ideas other folks come up with, but I'll just continue to try to stay downwind.

Might I suggest some essential oils?

Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8046012 11/11/20 02:16 AM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
On a related note, dry cow manure is about the best stuff to put in the smoker you use in beekeeping. Burns for a long time.

Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Pig_Popper] #8046469 11/11/20 03:00 PM
M
MClark Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
In South Africa burned buffalo chips to keep the flies away

Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: GNTX] #8046531 11/11/20 04:01 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by GNTX
On a related note, dry cow manure is about the best stuff to put in the smoker you use in beekeeping. Burns for a long time.

I think I will stick to pine needles, thank you. cheers

Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8046544 11/11/20 04:12 PM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
So, having read and given consideration to all this, I'm just gonna stick with my Swisher little cigars...

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Dennis in Ft Worth] #8046699 11/11/20 05:55 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dennis in Ft Worth
So, having read and given consideration to all this, I'm just gonna stick with my Swisher little cigars...

A man with a plan!
Me, I'm still just gonna try to stay downwind of the hogs.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Burning horse manure in a charcoal tower and Pigmans version - y’all ever heard of this ? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8050853 11/14/20 11:10 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by GNTX

I think I will stick to pine needles, thank you. cheers

Ha. You’d be surprised. Just smells like burning grass cause that’s basically all it is. It has to be DRY manure.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide