Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8043379 11/09/20 01:49 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Just so you guys know. I'm a landowner and if someone legally shoots and wounds a deer I would rather them recover it from my property than leave it to lay to waste. My number is on my gate just for that fact. As for the story I told, that was a jealous man who got his panties in a wad and told everyone he would let the deer rot before the antlers left his place.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8043428 11/09/20 02:32 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I have good relationships with my neighbors, and though it hasn't happened yet (to my knowledge), if a wounded deer jumped a fence, I believe we would all grant access permission to the other - but not without a call first.

Last edited by Dalroo; 11/09/20 02:32 PM.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8043592 11/09/20 04:25 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
"Old Gnarley" was a buck everyone watched because he lived near a golf course. There were 2 narrow properties that bordered said course. Well the deer shows up where my buddy was hunting. Bang! deer jumps the fence into the other property. Neighbor says no you can't retrieve it. Game warden is called out . Game warden says nothing can be done. The landowner will not let you retrieve it, This is after the evidence clearly showed where the deer was hit and where it jumped the fence. Landowner had no hunting license at the time so the deer was left to lay. Big deer turn some people into arseholes.

Why do people feel so entitled that others are somehow obligated to cover for their inadequacies? Mistakes made on the part of the hunter do not obligate the neighboring landowner to grand access to his property. It would have been nice if he would have done so, but saying no to a request doesn't make him an arsehole. The hunter could have prevented the problem in several ways. This is on the hunter for not doing a better job.

Well yeah it kinda does...

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8043843 11/09/20 07:50 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Maybe those hunters who hunt closer to a neighbors fence line should be taking neck shots at a closer range to prevent deer from crossing the fence. You definitely should have phone numbers to your neighbors which border your hunting property. Just call them. And treat them the way that you would want to be treated then everyone will get along nicely.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8044493 11/10/20 02:15 AM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I had a person hunting a stand that was at the corner of my small (28 acres) using a .357 Magnum Pistol shoot a spike buck that was either on my side of the fence or jumped the fence. It ran out into my winter food plot and fell over. I called out to the guy that shot it and told him to come on over, tag it and field dress it while I went and got my tractor to take it out for him. Him and some others had over 800 acres leased but liked to hunt close to my place because of the low hunting pressure and food plots. Common curtesy goes a long way, even though they had stands just off of my fence, some I could almost lean over and touch, we compromised by me being allowed to go over onto their land to retrieve a deer if needed. It actually ended up giving me full access to their lease during non deer hunting season, shot lots of squirrels during the spring season.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8044517 11/10/20 02:39 AM
T
tophorsecop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

"Guns don't kill people, Guns kill dinner!"
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8046374 11/11/20 02:05 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by llbts1

I'm impressed. A lot of you guys are very nice men.

Me, I kinda fit in the same category. Except, don't come walking in on my property without calling first for permission.

Strait out of Dallas mentality. Good for you!

No sir. I live in the country, & any [censored] that trespasses (looking for a deer or not) is not welcome.

The man trespassing is more likely to be from Dallas than any landowner.

I'm sure lessors do quite a bit of this type of trespassing, but I've only had guys from a neighboring lease enter our property once (to my knowledge). Most trespassers I've ever encountered were locals....one was the neighboring landowner "looking for a horse"...

Last edited by Schpanky; 11/11/20 02:08 PM.
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8047797 11/12/20 11:09 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
A couple of thoughts.

I'm a land owner but don't live there. I know my neighbors and don't get along with all of them. I've shot deer that I've never found. It can happen. I also think that I can spot a liar and can hear shots. I occasionally have poachers. One was on my place for several years until I caught him and busted his rifle on a tree. He might be the one that removed all of the cards from my cams.

It isn't hard to tell a poacher from a person looking for a deer. If the guy seems to be legitimately looking for a deer, I believe I would help him.

I do have a concern about confronting an armed person who is breaking the law.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: DQ Kid] #8047824 11/12/20 12:04 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
The one that drops and tags it..

This was partly a tongue in cheek response, for me it depends. If a deer is not noticeably wounded or mortally wounded at that, I'm dropping said deer, tagging it and not looking back. If I see an obvious freshly mortally or severely wounded deer and the hunter whom establishes that he clearly and legally shot it is welcome to the deer assuming he/she is not a douche. A incidental flesh wound that the deer was sure to survive isn't grounds to give that deer up in my mind, neither is a hunter with a questionable story as to where the deer was when he shot it. When I was younger in South Texas, hunters established by showing where deer were shot, the blood trail, etc. In those cases, deer were almost always given up as the legitimacy and stories matched.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8048110 11/12/20 03:56 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
"Old Gnarley" was a buck everyone watched because he lived near a golf course. There were 2 narrow properties that bordered said course. Well the deer shows up where my buddy was hunting. Bang! deer jumps the fence into the other property. Neighbor says no you can't retrieve it. Game warden is called out . Game warden says nothing can be done. The landowner will not let you retrieve it, This is after the evidence clearly showed where the deer was hit and where it jumped the fence. Landowner had no hunting license at the time so the deer was left to lay. Big deer turn some people into arseholes.

Why do people feel so entitled that others are somehow obligated to cover for their inadequacies? Mistakes made on the part of the hunter do not obligate the neighboring landowner to grand access to his property. It would have been nice if he would have done so, but saying no to a request doesn't make him an arsehole. The hunter could have prevented the problem in several ways. This is on the hunter for not doing a better job.

Asking permission does not obligate getting a positive response that apparently entitled people seem to think that it does. The failure isn't on the other landowner for not granting access, but on the hunter for not doing a better job.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8048161 11/12/20 04:24 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

Asking permission does not obligate getting a positive response that apparently entitled people seem to think that it does. The failure isn't on the other landowner for not granting access, but on the hunter for not doing a better job.

Doing the right thing is everyone's responsibility. if you feel letting a huge racked deer rot because you didn't shoot it and you wanted to claim it for yourself later, so be it. I hope we're never neighbors. I assume you know all the details surrounding the hunt, and that it would be impossible for a deer to run 100 yards after a pass through shot to the boiler room with .270 extreme polymer at 35 yards. If the guy felt entitled he would have just jumped the fence and got it, the deer was within sight. Instead he called the game warden and the gw asked if he could go retrieve it. My buddy got a solid "hell no, I've been watching that deer for 3 years." Hence me saying "Big deer turn some people into arseholes." I should have added "When they are a day late to the show."

Last edited by hook_n_line; 11/12/20 04:26 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8050943 11/15/20 12:46 AM
BigRon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I try to be the kind of neighbor a neighbor would want to have. We were helping a neighbor a bit down the road last weekend look for a deer their daughter had wounded. Tracked to the next neighbor's property, I called him and he said' "come on over and look". He came and helped us look but it crossed to another neighbor's place that didn't want anyone on his place. Totally understandable, they were hunting their property the next morning and didn't want the place disturbed.

I want my neighbors to know they can cross my place any time looking for a wounded animal, lost pet, etc. At the same time, I never cross a fence line without calling first. It would hurt my feelings if anyone thought I would rather let their deer rot than let them recover it. Bad shots and other mistakes happen, when I become perfect then I'll demand perfection of others.

God is so good to me.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide