texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
LUKE22, WBRC, having fun now, GingerFredMan, ECBwHntr
70566 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,641
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 64,129
stxranchman 60,263
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
BMD 41,241
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics616,062
Posts11,410,940
Members85,566
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Suppressor Recommendation #8045894 11/11/20 12:51 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 36
F
Falco Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 36
Hey guys, looking to purchase my first can this month. Wanting to get a 30 cal can that will be used on a bolt 308 and 18” AR in 556. Primary use will be for hunting. I’ll be moving it back and forth rather frequently, possibly even mid-hunt so a good QD system is a necessity. Length isn’t really an issue; more focused on performance.

I hear really good things about dead air cans with keymo QD system, but also hear keymo adds a ton of weight. Never shot one so don’t know if that’s a big deal or not. I’ll mainly be shooting prone or from a large blind so weight may not be an issue.

What would you buy?

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8045946 11/11/20 01:14 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,359
5
5Redman8 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
5
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,359
I have theYHM Ultralight Titanium

Inexpensive and very effective.

No POI change with or without it on my 30-06 nor on my AR 223


AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8045960 11/11/20 01:32 AM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4,854
S
scottfromdallas Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4,854

Don't skimp. You say our aren't concerned about weight but I would still recommend a titanium can.

I only know what I have and it's bad [censored]. Q Trash Panda. It comes with 2 cherry bomb tapered mounts. One in 1/2x28 and one for 5/8x24.




Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046046 11/11/20 02:35 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 34,307
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 34,307
You can’t got wrong with a Deadair

If it works for your string of fire you could look at the Nomad titanium or standard. Muzzle devices add up

Not for me but the Q can are light and quiet

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046094 11/11/20 03:16 AM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,521
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,521
I run an Omega 300 from SilencerCo on ASR mounts between a few rifles with good results

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: duckhunter175] #8046095 11/11/20 03:19 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 14,643
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
Q
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 14,643
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
I run an Omega 300 from SilencerCo on ASR mounts between a few rifles with good results


I have two and am happy with them. I know some people say that mount has issues but I’ve never had a problem.


[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046107 11/11/20 03:27 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,372
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,372
YHM Resonator R2.


[Linked Image]
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046165 11/11/20 04:47 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,058
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,058
Dead Air makes great stuff and I have several. Spend the extra money for titanium, you won't regret it.


"Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god."

- Aristotle
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8046187 11/11/20 09:28 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 21,089
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 21,089
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
I run an Omega 300 from SilencerCo on ASR mounts between a few rifles with good results


I have two and am happy with them. I know some people say that mount has issues but I’ve never had a problem.


Have the same suppressor. The only way an ASR mount can fail is by user error.


Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
VETERAN & LAW ENFORCEMENT OWNED & OPERATED
$1500 back at closing for First Responders, Veterans, and Teachers.
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046331 11/11/20 01:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 57
F
friscotx Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 57
Which one is the most quiet?

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046334 11/11/20 01:39 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 57
F
friscotx Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 57
It should have said....which one is the most quiet for .30 cal?

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: friscotx] #8046358 11/11/20 01:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,972
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,972
Originally Posted by friscotx
It should have said....which one is the most quiet for .30 cal?


Honestly, youtube. I was shocked how many dudes out there were very methodically about how they "tested" suppressors. Some even busted out a decibel reading thing. None of the videos are the be all end all and they only cover some of the more popular models. I found them to be very informative when attempting to decide on mine. I had a 22 can but never really witnessed centerfire ones much before.

FYI, I wanted a Thunderbeast but ended up with the Omega 300 because of the bogo deal. I am one who's can flew off my asr mount however I believe it was user error.

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046452 11/11/20 02:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 34,307
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 34,307
Between my nomad and omega the Nomad is quieter but not by a landslide

Q cans seem to be the quietest

Just make sure you research attachment points because you become invested

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046503 11/11/20 03:39 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4,810
J
Jgraider Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4,810
This is worth reading IMO........I found it very informative.

https://www.silencercentral.com/wp-...eviewed-The-Truth-About-Guns-Article.pdf

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046603 11/11/20 04:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,586
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,586
I have the Q Full Nelson on a 6.5CM and it is "Hollywood" whisper quiet. Minimal felt recoil from rifle either.

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: friscotx] #8046627 11/11/20 05:05 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,215
D
DocHorton Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,215
Originally Posted by friscotx
It should have said....which one is the most quiet for .30 cal?


Several years ago it was the AAC Cyclone....not sure if any others are quieter now.

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: The Dude Abides] #8046671 11/11/20 05:30 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,775
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,775
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
I have the Q Full Nelson on a 6.5CM and it is "Hollywood" whisper quiet. Minimal felt recoil from rifle either.


But it weighs a TON. If going the Q Nelson route...I'd give up a little noise to not have to carry it around.

I went through all of this back in April...I narrowed it down to 2....Dead Air Nomad and Q Half Nelson. I went with Dead Air Nomad for no other reason but the way Q owner's arrogance...having said that, I would buy one now just because of the way he's handled the Honey Badger deal. So I probably would've flipped a coin.

However now that Dead Air has released the Nomad Ti...that is which one I would pick just because the weight...holy crap is it light. I need to just order one of those and get that ball rolling.

Good luck, it's maddening and easy to get paralysis via analysis grin


Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Judd] #8046749 11/11/20 06:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,586
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,586
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
I have the Q Full Nelson on a 6.5CM and it is "Hollywood" whisper quiet. Minimal felt recoil from rifle either.


But it weighs a TON. If going the Q Nelson route...I'd give up a little noise to not have to carry it around.

I went through all of this back in April...I narrowed it down to 2....Dead Air Nomad and Q Half Nelson. I went with Dead Air Nomad for no other reason but the way Q owner's arrogance...having said that, I would buy one now just because of the way he's handled the Honey Badger deal. So I probably would've flipped a coin.

However now that Dead Air has released the Nomad Ti...that is which one I would pick just because the weight...holy crap is it light. I need to just order one of those and get that ball rolling.

Good luck, it's maddening and easy to get paralysis via analysis grin


Oh I agree the Q owner is a freaking tool. Only reason I have this one is I got it on as a dealer demo with my Q Fix. I have the Nomad as well on my Tikka.

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8046811 11/11/20 07:19 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 29,349
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 29,349
yall think a suppressor will reduce recoil as much as a true, loud, brake?

oh yea, another Omega 300 owner. love it but my next will be the latest greatest woot

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 11/11/20 07:21 PM.

SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Buzzsaw] #8046816 11/11/20 07:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18,151
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18,151
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
yall think a suppressor will reduce recoil as much as a true, loud, brake?


No, not even close. The suppressor does cut down on recoil. An effective muzzle brake reduces recoil about 50-60%, and the recoil is very quick with a short duration. A suppressor does reduce recoil, but not as much. And the recoil duration is MUCH longer with a suppressor. So firing with a suppressor does reduce recoil, but greatly increases the amount of time of the recoil, and pulls me off target much more than a brake does.



Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: ChadTRG42] #8047648 11/12/20 03:48 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,775
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,775
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
yall think a suppressor will reduce recoil as much as a true, loud, brake?


No, not even close. The suppressor does cut down on recoil. An effective muzzle brake reduces recoil about 50-60%, and the recoil is very quick with a short duration. A suppressor does reduce recoil, but not as much. And the recoil duration is MUCH longer with a suppressor. So firing with a suppressor does reduce recoil, but greatly increases the amount of time of the recoil, and pulls me off target much more than a brake does.


^^^^ perfectly described, I agree. It is just different. They both have their places.


Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8048831 11/13/20 01:27 AM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 481
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
H
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 481
Originally Posted by Falco
Primary use will be for hunting. I’ll be moving it back and forth rather frequently, possibly even mid-hunt so a good QD system is a necessity.




I will weigh in here. For hunting, sound suppression and weight are the key components.

I started with QD mounts, but over the years I have come to the conclusion (my opinion only) that the only reason the manufacturers continue to make QD suppressors is to sell more accessories. You are much more likely to have a misalignment or have it fly off with a QD than a direct thread. Some guys talk about DT cans coming loose, but even when it is one or two threads loose, it is still aligned (as long as your threads are cut correctly). Plus, it takes you approximately 1-2 seconds more to remove and replace a DT can over a QD can with a decent mount system.

That being said, my recommendation is:
SilencerCo Harvester - super light, great sound suppression, changeable DT modules so you can use it for all your platforms, including those with weird threads (such as metric). Spend the extra money you will save on the mount modules and ammo.


#FighttheNoise
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8048990 11/13/20 03:30 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,215
D
DocHorton Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,215
Agree with the above post...I'd never get a QD suppressor. All of mine are DT and very happy I went that route. I don't have to worry about user error or the suppressor coming loose, plus lighter weight, less cost, fewer parts, adaptable to any rifle without needing another QD mount, etc.

Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8049016 11/13/20 03:50 AM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 22,410
HoneyBeez Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 22,410
All mine are direct thread. Hybrid 46 so I can shoot pistol, 17 hmr, and any centerfire I want. I do not like the QD mounts.

HandgunHTR is right the harvester is slightly lighter and less diameter but I have baffles that are .46 so there is that. I had to had one and this one works. I am building rifles and not buying suppressors right now but I want a few more grin


[Linked Image]
Re: Suppressor Recommendation [Re: Falco] #8049053 11/13/20 04:26 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
YHM QD system is full proof and impossible to get misaligned. I’ve never ever had mine come loose even after hundreds of round range sessions. If anything it tightens up because of the fouling and heat.

Hands down if I were to get another can it would be another YHM. It was first can and started buying different brands and even built one on a form 1. I have a 30cal direct thread can that sits in my safe and is never used because my YHM is the only one I use.


[Linked Image] [Linked Image]



Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3