Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who’s deer legally? #8041473 11/07/20 02:56 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Im hearing a few shots around me. So I thought I would ask this question. A hunter wounds a deer on one property. It jumps the fence, maybe even two fences and another hunter shoots and kills it. The first hunter walks up and says that’s his deer.
Legally, who’s is it?

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041476 11/07/20 03:03 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
The one that drops and tags it..

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041478 11/07/20 03:05 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
The time this happened to my dad was with a hog.

They split the meat in half.

Now a deer is a little more complicated because someone has to tag it and someone would need a wildlife resource document.

If the situation is not agreeable then I would say the deer would belong to the person on the property where it died.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041503 11/07/20 03:37 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Are we to assume the hunter that wounded the deer had permission to go wandering around on the other properties looking for it?

Whoever killed it, tags it.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041547 11/07/20 04:14 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
In Oklahoma I watched the neighbor shoot a big 10 point about 50 yards on our side of the fence. He came and drug it back to his side. We called the GW, he came, looked around at the blood, and determined the deer was shot on the other side of the fence and the neighbor broke no laws. I know this doesn’t pertain to Texas, I hope, but I hate everything Oklahoma, lol.

To answer the OP’s question, a very similar situation happened on my first ever deer. It was a nice 8 point in east Texas on public land. I shot it, it ran a little ways, and before I could get a second shot another hunter leaving the woods spooked him. We started the search and followed a good blood trail right to the deer being loaded into a truck bed. GW stated if the other hunter had tagged it, then it was his deer as it would be impossible to determine who actually killed it.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041555 11/07/20 04:26 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
IMO if the first shot isn’t mortal in a short time, the second hunter owns the deer.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041687 11/07/20 06:41 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'd say whoever KILLS it and tags it.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041701 11/07/20 07:02 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
He who kills/tags reaps the reward, however if it was a kids or older mans I’d relinquish ownership to them without hesitation. I’ve killed more than my fair share over the years... Honestly I’d probably give it to anyone unless they had an attitude about it.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041821 11/07/20 09:22 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Im hearing a few shots around me. So I thought I would ask this question. A hunter wounds a deer on one property. It jumps the fence, maybe even two fences and another hunter shoots and kills it. The first hunter walks up and says that’s his deer.
Legally, who’s is it?

Well if the first hunter walks up he would be trespassing, once it leaves the property he doesn't have the right to pursue it across another's property without permission.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: HWY_MAN] #8041864 11/07/20 10:06 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Legally, who’s is it?

Well if the first hunter walks up he would be trespassing, once it leaves the property he doesn't have the right to pursue it across another's property without permission.

I agree with HWY_MAN

[Linked Image]
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041887 11/07/20 10:27 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I could see this issue coming up more often on public land. I am on board with who kills it tags it. Some states do allow going on another property to trail a wounded deer. NOT IN TX. Don't do it. Ask permission (if you can) or walk away. Not worth the risk of getting shot. If I had to finish off someone's wounded deer, they can have it. Life is way to short to argue about a deer.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8041893 11/07/20 10:37 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If I finished off a wounded deer and someone came looking for it I’d let them have it. I would ask for the back straps though. Nothing wrong with asking. Legally the deer belongs to the man that killed it. If it were an elk on public land I’d tell the guy that wounded it to kick rocks.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8042068 11/08/20 01:37 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
On Public land I have had a seriously wounded deer cross my field of view. As it was mortally wounded I shot it, About a half hour later a young man following the blood trail approached me and asked if it was hit to which I responded yes and gave him the deer, had I not been there he would have found it and I have been blessed with my fair share.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8042195 11/08/20 03:48 AM
llbts1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker

I'm impressed. A lot of you guys are very nice men.

Me, I kinda fit in the same category. Except, don't come walking in on my property without calling first for permission.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: llbts1] #8042251 11/08/20 04:49 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by llbts1

Me, I kinda fit in the same category. Except, don't come walking in on my property without calling first for permission.

Strait out of Dallas mentality. Good for you!

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: scalebuster] #8043201 11/09/20 04:13 AM
llbts1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker

Originally Posted by scalebuster

Not hardly.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8043308 11/09/20 12:36 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Why would a person want a deer some else had shot? I just would have some serious issues if a person was on my property looking for a wounded deer since it is HF.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8043332 11/09/20 12:52 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
"Old Gnarley" was a buck everyone watched because he lived near a golf course. There were 2 narrow properties that bordered said course. Well the deer shows up where my buddy was hunting. Bang! deer jumps the fence into the other property. Neighbor says no you can't retrieve it. Game warden is called out . Game warden says nothing can be done. The landowner will not let you retrieve it, This is after the evidence clearly showed where the deer was hit and where it jumped the fence. Landowner had no hunting license at the time so the deer was left to lay. Big deer turn some people into arseholes.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: hook_n_line] #8043334 11/09/20 12:55 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
"Old Gnarley" was a buck everyone watched because he lived near a golf course. There were 2 narrow properties that bordered said course. Well the deer shows up where my buddy was hunting. Bang! deer jumps the fence into the other property. Neighbor says no you can't retrieve it. Game warden is called out . Game warden says nothing can be done. The landowner will not let you retrieve it, This is after the evidence clearly showed where the deer was hit and where it jumped the fence. Landowner had no hunting license at the time so the deer was left to lay. Big deer turn some people into arseholes.

In this case, youur buddy with the place too small to deer hunt without the deer going over to the neighbors place, is the [censored].

Just because someone owns a few acres doesn’t mean it’s a deer lease.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: scalebuster] #8043340 11/09/20 12:58 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by scalebuster

No sir. I live in the country, & any [censored] that trespasses (looking for a deer or not) is not welcome.

The man trespassing is more likely to be from Dallas than any landowner.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8043356 11/09/20 01:15 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

In this case, youur buddy with the place too small to deer hunt without the deer going over to the neighbors place, is the [censored].

Shows how people can make asinine assumptions. Both properties are over 1000 acres the deer just happened to run farther than expected.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: hook_n_line] #8043359 11/09/20 01:21 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Shows how people can make asinine assumptions. Both properties are over 1000 acres the deer just happened to run farther than expected.

Then why is he hunting close to someone else’s property?

Here’s a hint- some people are just [censored]. If you give them 1,000ac, they will still set up next to their neighbors place to get “their” deer.

Either way, I have zero empathy for your buddy. Just because your a deer hunter & a piss poor shot doesn’t give anyone the right to access anyone else’s property.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 11/09/20 01:22 PM.
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: Mr. T.] #8043366 11/09/20 01:35 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
"Here’s a hint- some people are just [censored]. If you give them 1,000ac, they will still set up next to their neighbors place to get “their” deer." From personal experience, yep. You can give them thousands of acres and then somes will put up a blind and feeder set up 60 yards from the fence. I can still remember the retired law enforcement officer lifting his shirt to show me his 45 when I went to their camp to "discuss" the matter.

Last edited by Hudbone; 11/09/20 01:35 PM.
Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: maximus_flavius] #8043369 11/09/20 01:40 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Then why is he hunting close to someone else’s property?

Here’s a hint- some people are just [censored]. If you give them 1,000ac, they will still set up next to their neighbors place to get “their” deer.

Either way, I have zero empathy for your buddy. Just because your a deer hunter & a piss poor shot doesn’t give anyone the right to access anyone else’s property.

Funny guy, I'm glad you know all the details to assume you know the situation. Your right some people are just [censored]. Some deer can run 100+ yards after a good shot too. Some guys see a big deer and get pissed when someone else will hang it on the wall then go around bragging that if they can't have nobody can. Some folks are just that way. Nobody was asking for empathy, Hell i'ts a great campfire story that's told til today.

Re: Who’s deer legally? [Re: hook_n_line] #8043370 11/09/20 01:41 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Why do people feel so entitled that others are somehow obligated to cover for their inadequacies? Mistakes made on the part of the hunter do not obligate the neighboring landowner to grand access to his property. It would have been nice if he would have done so, but saying no to a request doesn't make him an arsehole. The hunter could have prevented the problem in several ways. This is on the hunter for not doing a better job.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide