texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Jordan king, dgrimesag92, Tom400, HeatherLeeu, Mad Horse Farms
67827 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 104,676
bill oxner 76,709
stxranchman 57,085
SnakeWrangler 54,868
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 41,433
BMD 41,092
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics593,123
Posts11,157,945
Members82,827
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Luna Creek Outdoor Adventure Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 #8041131 11/07/20 01:42 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
5
5Redman8 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
5
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
The owner was conveniently out of town but this is a synopsis of the trip and what I sent him in text

I hate long posts and this is one of them. Sorry for rambling and sorry if it is whiny....this has been a hard pill to swallow


Extremely disappointed.


First 2 days were with a guide that has never been on the land. Never saw an elk. Never heard and elk. I enjoyed the guide but we were at a steep disadvantage.

Days 1 and 2

Mornings consisted of walking and trying to bump/spook elk out of cover to maybe possibly get a shot.
Evenings were sitting in stand overlooking meadows that had zero sign of recent activity....according to the guides.
In the evenings, all three of us hunters sat by ourselves....no guide.

The only elk that was shot by one of the other two hunters from a public road(this is the exact story from the hunter and his guide) when the herd almost ran over the truck. The elk.....according to them was on private land they had permission to hunt. These were the only elk seen by that hunter. He was even allowed to continue hunting after wounding that bull. even though the contract stated that would conclude the hunt. Where those elk were seen, no one ever hunted that area again.

I can’t shake the feeling that Scott Huggins hunters were given priority over my hunt. Admittedly, i have no direct evidence of this but I trust my instincts. My guide would tell me the plan and then the main guide would change plans. I got the guide with no experience on the property. Day 4 evening the other guide took his two hunters to the top of the mountain.....and I was stuck hunting one of the same meadows with no activity.

Day 3 with Antonio, finally saw 2 cow elk because we walked into them on the way back to the truck after walking several miles. He really tried to talk me into shooting a cow but this is/was my once in a lifetime hunt. My wife and I are both in public education so $5,000+ is big money to us. At the time, I didn’t understand he knew this might be the only elk we would see.

Day 4....no elk. More of the same....walk and try to spook. Then sat on a meadow I had already sat on . Told Antonio I was thinking of throwing in the towel and his reply was, “I don’t blame you”

When I booked I was told we would spot and stalk in the mornings but what we actually did was try to walk...bump...and gun. I am confident to 500yds and can stretch it further but the only elk I saw was running at 30yds and one standing still at 40yds. Both were cows.

One of the other hunters here never saw an elk except for driving in the dark and they saw 3 bulls on other property.

I understand you are on a deer hunt in Kansas and then Ohio. Imagine if your guide had never been on the land you are hunting. Then the plan for your hunt was to walk around trying to spook deer to then get a shot as they run away in thick cover. Then imagine if in 4 days you had only accidentally bumped into 2 does and there were 2 other hunters there that one saw 0 deer and the other only saw a buck because they almost ran over it on a public road.

There were some red flags that I ignored in the excitement of booking a hunt. I asked multiple times for pics of kills this year and never got any. I asked multiple times if y’all were seeing some good elk before my hunt and never got an answer. I told myself that this hunt was discounted because of Covid 19 but now I think there are more reasons for the discount.

So according to the the owner the elk haven’t moved down because there was no snow but then in the same breath he says they were there last week. I asked how he conducts hunts in Sept and October if he is reliant on elk moving down....I got no reply.

Before I booked the hunt, I asked what would happen in the case of a bad hunt....exactly like the above....he said Monday the past he has rebooked at a discount. I wouldn’t even take him up on this offer at a great discount.

Lessons learned.....

Get in writing who you will be hunting with
Get in writing what will happen if no shot is presented....if possible pay for the hunt and then agree on a kill fee
I wouldn’t mind paying more for some kind of opportunity guarantee.
Ask exactly how much acreage there is to hunt and find out if there is access to elk no matter the weather
Be persistent about recent kills and what scouting is being done
A discount hunt may just be too good to be true. There was definitely a reason I could afford this hunt.
Definitely wait until you can afford a legitimate outfitter.

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 04:48 PM. Reason: changed title per request

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8041177 11/07/20 02:19 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 828
T
Theringworm Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 828
Sorry to hear. Had you gotten any references prior to booking?

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:04 PM. Reason: title change
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: Theringworm] #8041186 11/07/20 02:26 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
5
5Redman8 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
5
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
Originally Posted by Theringworm
Sorry to hear. Had you gotten any references prior to booking?


There was one reference in the Outfitters section here and there were some on their website but I did not call any. I assumed they would be positive since they were provided by the outfitter

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:04 PM. Reason: title change

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8041204 11/07/20 02:39 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 684
B
batman Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
B
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 684
I was going to book a hunt last year, but got a red flag and didn't. The THF reference he provided gave a good review and said he only met the outfitter the prior year. But, I did a little snooping around the forum and found threads that clearly showed that claim was false. So, looks like I dodged a $5k bullet. Sorry for your bad experience.

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:05 PM. Reason: title change per OP
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8041348 11/07/20 05:33 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,057
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,057
Sorry to hear that you had a bum hunt.

To be 100% fair, elk are highly migratory and depending on weather up high can means lots of elk or no elk at lower elevations. Also, this time of year, elk are not going to be vocal, so the methods you told can be productive ways to kill elk. If I were hunting this time of year, I would be watching meadows in the evening myself.

Zero excuse for having a guide that had never been on the property...that is piss poor business imo.


Hopefully you will be able to book in the near future with a more legitimate outfit.

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:05 PM. Reason: title change per OP

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8041394 11/07/20 12:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,088
H
Hudbone Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,088
Sucks hind tit

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:05 PM. Reason: title change per OP
Re:'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8041405 11/07/20 01:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
5
5Redman8 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
5
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
PM from someone who hunted with Luna Canyon


[Linked Image]

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:06 PM. Reason: title change per OP

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8041420 11/07/20 01:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,273
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,273
SOCIAL MEDIA!!!! Leave comments and reviews on Facebook, IG, etc-- tag them and the owners. Contact NM DNR and see if you can leave a review with them and then go to BBB or whoever will listen.

But- spread the word so the hard earned money of others doesn't go to filling their pockets-- be the voice you wish you heard!!

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:06 PM. Reason: title change per OP
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8041430 11/07/20 01:56 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 5,106
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Shocked
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 5,106
Nice

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:06 PM. Reason: title change per OP
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: duckhunter175] #8041481 11/07/20 03:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,670
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,670
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
SOCIAL MEDIA!!!! Leave comments and reviews on Facebook, IG, etc-- tag them and the owners. Contact NM DNR and see if you can leave a review with them and then go to BBB or whoever will listen.

But- spread the word so the hard earned money of others doesn't go to filling their pockets-- be the voice you wish you heard!!


Can’t recommend this enough. Be the voice you wish you had heard!

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:07 PM. Reason: title change per OP
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8042273 11/08/20 06:03 AM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 284
S
Sitkahunter Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
S
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 284
Let start this off by saying, your guide for the first 2 days was shown the property, given direction on how to hunt the elk and what to do in each property you hunted.
He knew the boundaries of the property, he is an experienced and successful elk hunter him self so therefore he was more then qualified to be your guide on your hunt.
Elk are not like white tails or any other animal you have probably hunted. No matter how much you’ve scouted for them or put out trail cameras they never do the same thing ever, especially in a late season hunt. So as for scouting none of my guides do it, I’m the one who does it. Ive been hunting these same ranches since September 1st pretty much every single day. Same goes for my lead guide isaiah. So I know what these elk do, he knows what these elk do. All of this information was passed on to your guide Anthony.
Personally I talked to Anthony and he said he never told you he had never set foot on these ranches, he did tell me he said to you he’s hasn’t guide for me as much as isaiah and my other guys. Which I do believe because I have ranches that are 20-30 min away from camp and some that are 5-10 min from camp. If he had never been to the ranches he would have never know how to even get to these properties.

When booking this hunt It was booked as a 100% fair chase hunt. “Fair Chase” means no guarantee on anything. I never once guaranteed you an opportunity, I never guaranteed you an animal. I guaranteed you that you would be able to “hunt” elk.
I did say 80% success rate, because that’s what my success rate has been the passed 3 years, I can give you 25+ different references from those passed years, and they would all vouch for me. It just so happen you end up on a hunt with a full moon, drought conditions, and warm temps That how hunting goes. All season has been tough with these same factors being an issues. Every season can not be perfect.

I know you’re paying me money to hunt elk. And that’s what my guys did. They took you out in the mornings to try and make something happen even if that means walking through the woods trying to get something to move. They were still out there hunting and trying get you an elk.
In the evening we sit and wait, doesn’t matter if a guide is with you or not. They set you up where they feel is the best spot in hopes that something will come by you. .

The way I see it is we can’t please everyone. You went out and did what you paid for and came here to do.... “HUNT ELK” And that is exactly what you did no matter what, You’re guide was an experienced hunter, and elk guide.

Sorry it didn’t turn out the way you wanted it, but that is why it’s called hunting and not killing.


And if anyone else has any questions for me feel free to reach out.
Thank you!
James Duran

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:07 PM. Reason: title change per OP
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8042313 11/08/20 11:42 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
5
5Redman8 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
5
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
I could “hunt” elk in my back yard in Texas but there aren’t any......just like most of your properties

Your website says 90% success on 5x5s. Now you’re saying 75-80% success.

[Linked Image]

Is that false advertising or is math difficult for you.

Here is a little math lesson for you. Since the 3 hunter from this hunt got 0 elk...the next 27 hunters would have to kill a 5x5 or better to get up to 90%

Now that you’re percentages are inching closer to the truth, how much of that “success” is convincing hunters to shoot a $5,000 cow?

I like how you say Anthony never told me he didn’t step foot on your properties. You are correct.....I listen...he and Isaiah had too many conversations within earshot of us hunters.

Last edited by TreeBass; 11/08/20 05:07 PM. Reason: title change per OP

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 7mag] #8042627 11/08/20 07:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
5
5Redman8 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
5
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
7mag.....sorry for the misunderstanding on the previous thread.

Last edited by 5Redman8; 11/08/20 09:11 PM.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8042655 11/08/20 07:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 552
E
ErikL Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
E
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 552
gotta be careful/do research

Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8042664 11/08/20 08:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 21,920
7
7mag Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
7
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 21,920
Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Originally Posted by 7mag
Quote from the OP 5Redman8 on my post in the outfitter section when I gave an opinion on a defunked hunt with don k on an exotic hunt last month. Karmas a bitccchhh now isn’t it my friend??? You called me out even though I was in the right??? Enjoy that cheese with your whine. Seems like the outfitter has voiced his 2 takes and your the one of “questionable character”??????? Hmmmmmmmm



Originally Posted by 7mag
So. I saw where don k had a few exotics that needed taken from his place. Prior to his thread about the two young axis I thought we had a deal on both axis and a couple of black buck does.

My wife hunts with me and we thought Hill Country COVID getaway and much needed venison as we haven’t taken anything in the last 4 yrs.

I didn’t bad mouth don in pm etc. everything imo was very civil and yes I thought we had it hashed out on dates which I gave him and he appeared ok with that. I even advised him I would send whatever deposit as I wanted to make sure he knew we were serious and no bs.

I took time off as well. All this thinking we had a deal. I could appreciate more a response such as “no I need them taken this weekend” or “ no I don’t want you out here”. Seriously fly straight and I’m ok with it. Word is everything with me and I have scratched a few off my list as you can see in my quote on one particular person last yr. Oh well best of luck gentlemen.


Quote 5Redman8:

“Anyone that has read a handful of his posts should be able to tell he is of questionable character.”



That quote was directed at Don K.....not you.

I have no doubt he screwed you over.

Sorry you misunderstood and had this stuck in your craw this whole time. A PM could have cleared this up sooner.

Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Originally Posted by 7mag
Quote from the OP 5Redman8 on my post in the outfitter section when I gave an opinion on a defunked hunt with don k on an exotic hunt last month. Karmas a bitccchhh now isn’t it my friend??? You called me out even though I was in the right??? Enjoy that cheese with your whine. Seems like the outfitter has voiced his 2 takes and your the one of “questionable character”??????? Hmmmmmmmm



Originally Posted by 7mag
So. I saw where don k had a few exotics that needed taken from his place. Prior to his thread about the two young axis I thought we had a deal on both axis and a couple of black buck does.

My wife hunts with me and we thought Hill Country COVID getaway and much needed venison as we haven’t taken anything in the last 4 yrs.

I didn’t bad mouth don in pm etc. everything imo was very civil and yes I thought we had it hashed out on dates which I gave him and he appeared ok with that. I even advised him I would send whatever deposit as I wanted to make sure he knew we were serious and no bs.

I took time off as well. All this thinking we had a deal. I could appreciate more a response such as “no I need them taken this weekend” or “ no I don’t want you out here”. Seriously fly straight and I’m ok with it. Word is everything with me and I have scratched a few off my list as you can see in my quote on one particular person last yr. Oh well best of luck gentlemen.


Quote 5Redman8:

“Anyone that has read a handful of his posts should be able to tell he is of questionable character.”



That quote was directed at Don K.....not you.

I have no doubt he screwed you over.

Sorry you misunderstood and had this stuck in your craw this whole time. A PM could have cleared this up sooner.



Ok. I will take you on your word and I have deleted the post. Just an FYI. I had two members ask me why you were busting my chops after that thread. So hopefully you can figure why it went south for me.


[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8042826 11/08/20 11:07 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,327
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,327
Similar situation happen to me on a mountain goat hunt in BC. $12K and no goats. Sucks.

Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8042943 11/09/20 01:01 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,838
BOBO the Clown Online Content
decoy
Online Content
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,838
Wow interesting theme, You chastised a few of us for trying to recommend and help you with an outfitter earlier this year over $$$, now your pissed about not having High Percentage opportunity on bulls, that ironically you consistently dog High Fence hunters about.


Elk migrate when the individually feel the need. We use to hunt a 18k ranch that we would be 95% success/opportunity one year, same dates would be 5% next year, then back up to 75% the following year. That's the nature of being bound by a fence line vs NF, but also having controlled access.


Outfitters response seems pretty reasonable, private land elk hunts are historically feast or famine, unless you get on a hugh ranch


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8042976 11/09/20 01:24 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
5
5Redman8 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
5
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Wow interesting theme, You chastised a few of us for trying to recommend and help you with an outfitter earlier this year over $$$, now your pissed about not having High Percentage opportunity on bulls, that ironically you consistently dog High Fence hunters about.


Elk migrate when the individually feel the need. We use to hunt a 18k ranch that we would be 95% success/opportunity one year, same dates would be 5% next year, then back up to 75% the following year. That's the nature of being bound by a fence line vs NF, but also having controlled access.


Outfiiters response seems pretty reasonable



Where did I chastise anyone?

You suggested Alberta and Sonora for mule deer....neither of which could I afford.


AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8042982 11/09/20 01:28 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,838
BOBO the Clown Online Content
decoy
Online Content
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,838
Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Wow interesting theme, You chastised a few of us for trying to recommend and help you with an outfitter earlier this year over $$$, now your pissed about not having High Percentage opportunity on bulls, that ironically you consistently dog High Fence hunters about.


Elk migrate when the individually feel the need. We use to hunt a 18k ranch that we would be 95% success/opportunity one year, same dates would be 5% next year, then back up to 75% the following year. That's the nature of being bound by a fence line vs NF, but also having controlled access.


Outfiiters response seems pretty reasonable



Where did I chastise anyone?

You suggested Alberta and Sonora for mule deer....neither of which could I afford.


Alberta was very close to if not same As your recent elk hunt, either way, best of luck to you.


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8043157 11/09/20 03:25 AM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 33
M
MIROPHAN Offline
Light Foot
Offline
Light Foot
M
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 33
I have hunted with Luna Canyon for prairie dogs for several years. I recognize that prairie dogs are not elk and the cost of the hunts is drastically different. James and Isaiah have treated me in a very stand up way. I am sorry for your experience, but that has not been mine. James has gone out of his way to be accommodating and more than fair to us.

I feel for the OP, and have had a similar situation with a guided trophy Axis buck and doe hunt in Texas (~4.5K). My kids and I ended up seeing a total 3 axis, and only one potential shooter. My shot opportunity consisted of about 15 seconds seated in the front seat of a Mule at +100 yards offhand. We even spotlighted until after midnight and did not see a single axis. I also had guide issues resulting in a hunting trip cut short and then coming back months later to complete the hunt. ~16 hrs of additional drive time for me. The outfitter is a very respected member and advertiser here on THF. I am not trying to bring up dirty laundry on this guide, and I will not name the outfit. Like the OP the cost of these hunts is prohibitively expensive, and I will not spend that kind of money for a hunt again.


My point is life and things don't always work out how we want them to for hunters or guides, and it happens to the best outfitters.

Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8043252 11/09/20 10:51 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,088
H
Hudbone Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,088
Been on two guided mule deer hunts. One in the Wasatch Mountains area of Utah and the other 20 clicks below Jackson Hole in the Greys River Basin outside of Alpine. The Utah outfitter is fortunate we went on his first. Never saw a mule during the season. I think they tried hard, but we picked up on a group cancel and I am thinking there was a reason that there group had cancelled. The territory itself was spectacular and so was spending time with my friends (yes, I have friends). The 24 hour straight through drive in a rented 32' RV may have been worth everything.

The second trip was much more of a target rich environment. There were six of us. Cottonwood shot a 29 inch wide beast that scored about 170. Many w/trophy wife took a really nice 186. Eugeneio struck it big with a 22 inch wide mega mass beast that scored 208. The biggest one came under the luckiest hunter in the world category - a story I may post at some point.

"Sorry for rambling and sorry if it is whiny" = gotta question any man swallowing anything when starting off about anything whiny. People gritch about perceived canned hunts where trophies are obtained and then, it's someone else's fault if a hunt is booked and no trophy is secured.

I never chambered a shell in either of my guided hunts. I never got a ribbon.

Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8043987 11/09/20 09:15 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 327
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
K
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 327
I've read OPs threads on this on another forum, I'm not trying to be a jerk but this was too good of a deal to be true. A private land tag and an almost guaranteed 5x5 bull in New Mexico for less than $5K? From the prices I've seen that's the equivalent of someone offering an almost guaranteed shot opportunity at a low fence 180 whitetail for $2,000. That just isn't going to happen the majority of times. If a deal looks too good to be true that's likely because it is.

Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: kk66] #8044099 11/09/20 10:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
5
5Redman8 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
5
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,111
Originally Posted by kk66
I've read OPs threads on this on another forum, I'm not trying to be a jerk but this was too good of a deal to be true. A private land tag and an almost guaranteed 5x5 bull in New Mexico for less than $5K? From the prices I've seen that's the equivalent of someone offering an almost guaranteed shot opportunity at a low fence 180 whitetail for $2,000. That just isn't going to happen the majority of times. If a deal looks too good to be true that's likely because it is.



No doubt you are exactly correct. I was totally ignorant of elk hunting and behavior. In my mind, I knew it would most likely be a small 5x5 which would have made me very happy!

But going and seeing no bulls really depresses me.

It is kind of like fishing a lake for 4 days only to find out there was a huge fish kill that no one told you about.

It sucked and I will warn others before they fall for the same scam.

[Linked Image]


AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8044218 11/09/20 11:49 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 17,109
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 17,109
My opinion of what NM does to you, regardless the subject:



I like Alberta, very much.


...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: 'Luna Canyon Outfitters Chacón NM Elk Hunt 11/2-11/6 [Re: 5Redman8] #8044269 11/10/20 12:12 AM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,306
A
angus1956 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
A
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,306
It's hunting no guarantees, Elk hunting is even worse. I've spent thousands and years looking before I SCORED!
Keep at it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3