Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? #8039610 11/05/20 09:19 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I just booked a four night, three day hunt in west Texas for 2021 for Whitetail. Price includes lodging, food, cook, guide skinning and quartering for your
ice chests. The guides are 1x1. However, I don't want that. My wife is going with me and we always hunt together. So,
I requested only one guide for the both of us. The hunt is $4,500 each, so what do I tip? If we both had a guide as they priced for, and we
were happy at how hard the guide worked for us, I would tip 10% to each. Or $900 out of my pocket.
But that is not going to be the case here.So, what are your thoughts?

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8039633 11/05/20 09:32 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
It all depends on how much work they have to do to get my animal and personality plays a huge part for me as well. I never go in with a pre determined price, if he sucks he might not get a penny but he works his tail off he might get a huge tip. Just go with your gut feeling and enjoy the trip..

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8039634 11/05/20 09:33 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Depends on service and how hard he really tried

Last edited by Brother in-law; 11/05/20 09:34 PM.
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8039654 11/05/20 09:49 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
if the guide gets you both on a WT, why wouldn't he deserve a tip for both hunters? honest question ...

I have guided similar hunts and I truly have busted my tail to get the client onto what they were looking for, seems like 10-25% range was the norm if the client was happy with my efforts, typically the higher end if they took an animal that got processed to the ice chests.

I do recall one client that was way out of the norm, I had him on 2-3 different 170+ Mulies where he said they weren't big enough and he was going to Mexico in a couple of weeks for 200+ MD ... 4 days of putting in the time, miles and effort, $100 tip (on a $4k hunt)

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Brother in-law] #8039730 11/05/20 10:47 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

This. At $4500 he should already be making some decent cash. For a three day hunt I could see $100-150/day, maybe $500 total if he busts his [censored] and does a good job.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8039778 11/05/20 11:35 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

This. At $4500 he should already be making some decent cash. For a three day hunt I could see $100-150/day, maybe $500 total if he busts his [censored] and does a good job.

I'm closer to this or less. I've been on many texas package hunts. these guys are on this ranch all day, everyday, they know just about every animal on it and its patterns. Pretty much all these "guides" do is drive you to the blind, sit with you, most have bad breath or cigarette breath, play on their cell phones or sleep. Tell you no, thats a "$9,000" deer, DONT shoot it. cuz the outfitter will fire them.

If you do get an animal. It is their job to dress it skin it properly, quarter it and GET IT COLD. . Who's cooking meals are they ? is there a separate cook. is the lodging clean? clean bedding. good plumbing. is it what they say it is?

hows their attitude, do they even want to be there?

to me the guides who get a tip are the ones which actually take you hunting in the mountains, set up spike camps, have firewood ready.

YOU ARE THE GUEST. you paid $9000 to kill a couple deer. you shouldn't have to lift a finger unless you want to. most of us want to help if we can.

i tip really good but ONLY is i'm satisfied and happy with what i got for the money. NOT just because i kill a deer.

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 11/05/20 11:37 PM.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8039918 11/06/20 01:24 AM
S
SB9969 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Are the guides not paid anything by the outfitter or owner ? It feels like for $9000 that should be included. I've never gone on a paid hunt but would like to some time. Feels like whoever is collecting all that cash should be paying the guide something too if they don't. I kind feel like if they aren't getting anything and helping both of you out they should get twice the tip if they do a good job. Just my thoughts.

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: SB9969] #8039951 11/06/20 01:42 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by SB9969
Are the guides not paid anything by the outfitter or owner ? It feels like for $9000 that should be included. I've never gone on a paid hunt but would like to some time. Feels like whoever is collecting all that cash should be paying the guide something too if they don't. I kind feel like if they aren't getting anything and helping both of you out they should get twice the tip if they do a good job. Just my thoughts.

Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. Most get a daily rate but rely on tips to make it worth their while

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8039960 11/06/20 01:45 AM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
for the record, most of my guiding was done for free, helping out a friend / relative that over stretched or had more hunters show up at the same time to hunt the "rut" or have one of the other guides not show since they were guiding a different client in another area on short notice ... all my expenses were paid by me, travel, diesel, food, etc. Just being a good friend, I wasn't expecting a dime in return. I am not complaining in the least, got to see some great country, incredible animals and worked my tail off to get a client on a spectacular animal or a few.

why I asked my question about a guide getting 2 people (their preference to hunt together) onto two good deer, why wouldn't they deserve a double tip ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8039964 11/06/20 01:46 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
good question. I guarantee the A.H. I hunted with last year didn't pay his guides. All he was interested in was promoting his brand and having a Deer Hunting TV show kill and pay about $30,000 for two whitetail bucks

He could have cared less if my daughter got her axis or not. Guides were worthless. just drove us around making excuses.

Do your homework, ask for references.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040134 11/06/20 03:50 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Do you pay your service at restaurants less if you are all sitting at the same table?

Not trying to offend, but your post comes off as “we are both using the same guide so therefore I should be allowed to tip less”....I am not sure if that is the intent of this post or what, but the tip is what the tip is. Just because you and your wife want to hunt together does not mean you get to stiff the guide.

If you have enough money to pony up the 9k for the hunt for both of ya, then pony up for the appropriate tip as if you both hunters were separate. It’s the right thing to do.

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040143 11/06/20 04:05 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
you should only need 1 guide, in fact i would request this from the outfitter

are you both shooting big bucks (same score)?

as long as you know there is a lessen chance for you both to shoot big bucks.

i think 3 days should be enough time for you both to shoot nice bucks given the price you paid

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040185 11/06/20 05:13 AM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
at least $1000 would be my tip if i was paying $9k for a hunt, better if the hunt turns out good

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040253 11/06/20 12:31 PM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Tips are way overrated. Here’s my tip, early bird gets the worm, plant your corn early and never, never bet on the Cowboys.

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: PMK] #8040418 11/06/20 02:52 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by PMK
if the guide gets you both on a WT, why wouldn't he deserve a tip for both hunters? honest question ...

I have guided similar hunts and I truly have busted my tail to get the client onto what they were looking for, seems like 10-25% range was the norm if the client was happy with my efforts, typically the higher end if they took an animal that got processed to the ice chests.

I do recall one client that was way out of the norm, I had him on 2-3 different 170+ Mulies where he said they weren't big enough and he was going to Mexico in a couple of weeks for 200+ MD ... 4 days of putting in the time, miles and effort, $100 tip (on a $4k hunt)

PMK, I'd make sure if he ever booked another hunt again the service I gave him was not 'at the top end of my game'!
I'd find him a deer of course, but it damn sure would not be the best one in the class of hunt he is looking for!!!

$100 tip on a $4k hunt that lasted 4 days is pathetic to say the least.

My response here to the OP is that even if he has you both with him he is still doing the work of finding you and getting you both on a deer and if you do kill, he is still doing the work to take care of those animals for you correctly. Last, although I completely understand you and your wife hunting together and applaud it loudly, this does not make a guide's job of getting you both deer easier at all unless the place you are going is just loaded with big, mature deer.

To me, if he does a great job of putting forth effort and you have a good time, 10% is probably the least that should be tipped....and I'm talking about 10% of the total of both the paid hunts. If the service isn't what it should be, then maybe less. But always remember it is called hunting for a reason and even if this ranch is a fantastic place it still doesn't mean you are going to see one that fits the bill.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Buzzsaw] #8040436 11/06/20 03:11 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

I'm closer to this or less. I've been on many texas package hunts. these guys are on this ranch all day, everyday, they know just about every animal on it and its patterns. Pretty much all these "guides" do is drive you to the blind, sit with you, most have bad breath or cigarette breath, play on their cell phones or sleep. Tell you no, thats a "$9,000" deer, DONT shoot it. cuz the outfitter will fire them.

If you do get an animal. It is their job to dress it skin it properly, quarter it and GET IT COLD. . Who's cooking meals are they ? is there a separate cook. is the lodging clean? clean bedding. good plumbing. is it what they say it is?

to me the guides who get a tip are the ones which actually take you hunting in the mountains, set up spike camps, have firewood ready.

YOU ARE THE GUEST. you paid $9000 to kill a couple deer. you shouldn't have to lift a finger unless you want to. most of us want to help if we can.

i tip really good but ONLY is i'm satisfied and happy with what i got for the money. NOT just because i kill a deer.

Very sorry to hear that you've had such a bad time on the package hunts you've been on.

So, when you talk about the guide telling you something like "Sorry, that's a $9k deer and you cannot shoot him" I'm guessing you chose a management hunt or something like that for less money but you expected to kill a trophy for the same price but that makes the guide bad in your eyes?

I guess I don't understand this at all because the places I've worked for have very, very clear price lists for cull, management sizes (by score), and trophy sizes (by score) and I know that before clients ever come on the ranch they've booked a hunt for a certain size animal and in some cases have asked to possibly upgrade their hunt once they get there and these places all try and accommodate that if possible as well.
Furthermore, most guides don't make but somewhere between $100-200/day from the ranch so if you think that is a lot of money for a 15-16 hour day I'd say I don't. A brand new, green employee with us would make $300-$350 for a 16 hour day with my company.

So, the guides that get a tip should only be those who take you to the mountains and set up a camp for you? Who the hell do you think is doing all the maintenance work, filling protein and corn feeders year round when it is 110 degrees, building those feed pens, fixing fences, blinds and other items, shredding senderos, plowing and planting food plots. What about the clean up the camp/lodge before, during, and after your hunt, etc etc etc. None of that is worked comparable to packing you into a spike camp in the mountains I guess? How do you think the deer get patterned, by sitting at home and picking your nose all day?
I'm didn't want to come across as an azz on this post but want to point out that there is a hell of a lot more to it than driving you to the blind and pointing at this deer or that deer.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040451 11/06/20 03:25 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
$500-1,000 would be about right depending on how hard the guide works for you.

Yes outfitters pay them a fee for guiding but many times it barely covers their expenses.

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8040454 11/06/20 03:27 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Very sorry to hear that you've had such a bad time on the package hunts you've been on.

So, when you talk about the guide telling you something like "Sorry, that's a $9k deer and you cannot shoot him" I'm guessing you chose a management hunt or something like that for less money but you expected to kill a trophy for the same price but that makes the guide bad in your eyes?

I guess I don't understand this at all because the places I've worked for have very, very clear price lists for cull, management sizes (by score), and trophy sizes (by score) and I know that before clients ever come on the ranch they've booked a hunt for a certain size animal and in some cases have asked to possibly upgrade their hunt once they get there and these places all try and accommodate that if possible as well.
Furthermore, most guides don't make but somewhere between $100-200/day from the ranch so if you think that is a lot of money for a 15-16 hour day I'd say I don't. A brand new, green employee with us would make $300-$350 for a 16 hour day with my company.

So, the guides that get a tip should only be those who take you to the mountains and set up a camp for you? Who the hell do you think is doing all the maintenance work, filling protein and corn feeders year round when it is 110 degrees, building those feed pens, fixing fences, blinds and other items, shredding senderos, plowing and planting food plots. What about the clean up the camp/lodge before, during, and after your hunt, etc etc etc. None of that is worked comparable to packing you into a spike camp in the mountains I guess? How do you think the deer get patterned, by sitting at home and picking your nose all day?
I'm didn't want to come across as an azz on this post but want to point out that there is a hell of a lot more to it than driving you to the blind and pointing at this deer or that deer.

I see your point but they got paid all off-season to fill feeders, etc., and if they didn't, then that's on them for working for a crummy company. As you pointed out, your guy was already making over $20/hr to do manual labor-that's dang good wages for a high-school diploma. Most of these places, honestly all they do is drive you to the blind. Patterning is done with cameras, most of which are cellular now, and I bet most of the patterning is done by one person who reviews all the photos, makes a log/database, and then tells John to take you to X blind at X time. That's partly why the western hunt is different. Those guys actually have to know where they're going and where the game is, sleep on the ground or cot, deal with horses (not get in a warm pickup), and a host of other issues that the TX 'guides' don't even thing about.

I also see it differently re: tip as a percentage. If you show up day one, and you're done by 8:30 a.m., that's a lot different than hunting 3-4 hard days and getting it done at last light on the last day. If those hunts cost the same, I wouldn't tip them the same %.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040474 11/06/20 03:40 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Tip what you think is fair. Personally I would tip at least $100 a day per person (200 a day for you and your wife). If the guide worked his/her tail off I would go higher. I only once didn’t tip a guide but he was a rude, condescending jerk. I personally do not go by a percentage of the cost of the hunt. I have been on 400 dollar doe hunts and tipped $200 to the guide for just one day of hunting because he was so helpful and personable.

Enjoy your hunt!!!!

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040479 11/06/20 03:44 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I should have explained a little more background in my post. First my wife, daughter and I hunted this ranch from 1984 to 1997. At that time
they did not have guides or a place to stay. They assigned you to a 10,000-15,000 acre pasture and said good luck. For many years we
had good luck. A few years we did not kill anything, but mostly we all got very nice bucks. Then my daughter passed away in 1997 and we
stopped hunting the ranch. I though for my wife's 75th birthday, we would go back to where we had many years of wonderful memories.
Fast forward to 2020 and now they require you hunt with a guide and they provide the meals and place to stay. The guides all live on the
ranch and are full time cowboys. I requested that we only have one guide so that we can hunt together.
Now, findly to the reason I asked my question in the first place. I have a friend who hunted with his wife last year. they also choose to only
have one guide. Everything was good on the hunt, food, lodging, etc. Early one morning at breakfast, he walked in the kitchen
and heard the guides talking. More than one of the guides had a group of two that they were guiding. Father/son, etc. One had a group
of three, Father/daughter/SIL. Anyway he heard one guide say, if he is guiding more than one at a time, he will try to get one a good buck and then just
take what comes for the rest. Another guide said, me too.
I wrote my question when I was thinking about what he had said.
I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040548 11/06/20 04:32 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Given the new info, be upfront with the guide. Tell him if he gets you guys both nice bucks then he will be rewarded appropriately. If he doesn’t, then he will be paid accordingly in his tip. Just be up front and communicate your concerns with the guide.

Why not discuss that with the guide before coming to conclusions about it before it even happens. There is nothing wrong with talking to the guide about your expectations and him/her giving their expectations for the hunt, right from the get go. Solves a lot of these concerns you have from heresay.

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040585 11/06/20 05:00 PM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
If the guide drops you off and picks you up, then maybe he'll get 5% of the total cost. Pretty expensive taxi service. Also depends on if they're actually scouting for game ahead of time or if you're just sitting in a blind and the "dinner bell" goes off twice a day.

If the guide "babysits" you in a blind, then he'll get 5% of the total cost. Pretty expensive babysitting. Also depends on if they're actually scouting for game ahead of time or if you're just sitting in a blind and the "dinner bell" goes off twice a day.

If it is a true spot and stalk, then the tip starts at 10% but usually is at 20%. The reason being they tend to have to work harder for longer and in some cases, much harder. They also may have had to spend some scouting for the hunt.

The above is just a rough guideline that I use. If the guide busts his/her butt, then they tend to get more. If the guide is lazy, then they tend to get less. Also, when I tag out does not impact the tip. Not getting an animal does not necessarily mean a reduced tip; if the guide does everything that is realistically possible then I will not hold it against him/her that we did not get an animal on the ground.

Went on a "sem-guided" whitetail hunt in NE last November. They pretty much drop you off and then pick you up if you got a deer or if it was time to g. I only had 2 days to hunt due to work so I flew. Since I shot two does and a buck, that was too much meat to take on the plane (my fault for booking a segment with a commuter plane). There was no where within a 100 miles that had a rental car available. Thankfully my guide offered to drive me to an airport in SD so I could rent a car to drive everything back. That is going well above and beyond! I hooked him up for this. He got more for doing this than he did from my hunt.

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #8040754 11/06/20 07:52 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
I should have explained a little more background in my post. First my wife, daughter and I hunted this ranch from 1984 to 1997. At that time
they did not have guides or a place to stay. They assigned you to a 10,000-15,000 acre pasture and said good luck. For many years we
had good luck. A few years we did not kill anything, but mostly we all got very nice bucks. Then my daughter passed away in 1997 and we
stopped hunting the ranch. I though for my wife's 75th birthday, we would go back to where we had many years of wonderful memories.
Fast forward to 2020 and now they require you hunt with a guide and they provide the meals and place to stay. The guides all live on the
ranch and are full time cowboys. I requested that we only have one guide so that we can hunt together.
Now, findly to the reason I asked my question in the first place. I have a friend who hunted with his wife last year. they also choose to only
have one guide. Everything was good on the hunt, food, lodging, etc. Early one morning at breakfast, he walked in the kitchen
and heard the guides talking. More than one of the guides had a group of two that they were guiding. Father/son, etc. One had a group
of three, Father/daughter/SIL. Anyway he heard one guide say, if he is guiding more than one at a time, he will try to get one a good buck and then just
take what comes for the rest. Another guide said, me too.
I wrote my question when I was thinking about what he had said.
I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.
I hope you and your wife have a great hunt and both kill awesome bucks.

Erny and Texas buckeye both have great posts I think on how to handle your situation.

If both hunters are paying the same fee then I would call it shameful for a guide not to do his best to get both hunters the same type of animal!

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8040763 11/06/20 08:05 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

I see your point but they got paid all off-season to fill feeders, etc., and if they didn't, then that's on them for working for a crummy company. As you pointed out, your guy was already making over $20/hr to do manual labor-that's dang good wages for a high-school diploma. Most of these places, honestly all they do is drive you to the blind. Patterning is done with cameras, most of which are cellular now, and I bet most of the patterning is done by one person who reviews all the photos, makes a log/database, and then tells John to take you to X blind at X time. That's partly why the western hunt is different. Those guys actually have to know where they're going and where the game is, sleep on the ground or cot, deal with horses (not get in a warm pickup), and a host of other issues that the TX 'guides' don't even thing about.

I also see it differently re: tip as a percentage. If you show up day one, and you're done by 8:30 a.m., that's a lot different than hunting 3-4 hard days and getting it done at last light on the last day. If those hunts cost the same, I wouldn't tip them the same %.

Not all get paid to help with the ranch chores in the off-season, and most ranches are not run like most companies really.

Also, when I did it you were up well before 5am to get things ready and if there were kills in the evening.....or deer wounded that had to be found, it could easily turn into a super long day and at best you were there until past 9pm to help clean up after dinner and what not.

Our green hands start at $15/hour and top end guys are at close to $40.
People that look down from their offices at they guys in construction don't have a clue and I laugh at them who do it.
We have guys running projects that easily make 6 figures.

I think the bottom line is the tip should match the service provided in any situation.
Hell, earlier this year I had a $300 tab at a local seafood restaurant for 5 of us. I tipped our waiter $75 which is substantially more than 15% but the service was fantastic and I damn sure didn't feel cheated walking out of there and to think...all he did was bring us drinks and food in the hour and 15 minutes we were there...…..he didn't even have to cook it!

Re: Tip for guide on Texas Whitetail hunt? [Re: AZ_Hunter_2000] #8040780 11/06/20 08:16 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000
If the guide drops you off and picks you up, then maybe he'll get 5% of the total cost. Pretty expensive taxi service. Also depends on if they're actually scouting for game ahead of time or if you're just sitting in a blind and the "dinner bell" goes off twice a day.

If the guide "babysits" you in a blind, then he'll get 5% of the total cost. Pretty expensive babysitting. Also depends on if they're actually scouting for game ahead of time or if you're just sitting in a blind and the "dinner bell" goes off twice a day.

If it is a true spot and stalk, then the tip starts at 10% but usually is at 20%. The reason being they tend to have to work harder for longer and in some cases, much harder. They also may have had to spend some scouting for the hunt.

The above is just a rough guideline that I use. If the guide busts his/her butt, then they tend to get more. If the guide is lazy, then they tend to get less. Also, when I tag out does not impact the tip. Not getting an animal does not necessarily mean a reduced tip; if the guide does everything that is realistically possible then I will not hold it against him/her that we did not get an animal on the ground.

Went on a "sem-guided" whitetail hunt in NE last November. They pretty much drop you off and then pick you up if you got a deer or if it was time to g. I only had 2 days to hunt due to work so I flew. Since I shot two does and a buck, that was too much meat to take on the plane (my fault for booking a segment with a commuter plane). There was no where within a 100 miles that had a rental car available. Thankfully my guide offered to drive me to an airport in SD so I could rent a car to drive everything back. That is going well above and beyond! I hooked him up for this. He got more for doing this than he did from my hunt.

So did your 'drop off & pick up' guide take care of your animal start to finish including caping it out for you to take to a taxidermist?
I'm asking this simply because if you had a 5 day $5k hunt and killed a deer and only tipped $250 to him that IMO is pretty chinchy.
If it was a 1 or 2 day hunt, great but not if it is longer than that.

I think if you can drop $4k-$5k on a 3 day hunt and are taken care of right and have a good time, how is 10% too much?
Now, if it is a not so good experience and you feel like you are underserved....total different story.

Every hunter I took (unless they were a PITA) didn't even start having fun until we had his/her targeted animal on the ground. Then the fun started for them because it was hog, javelina, varmint time and most of the hunts, an additional cull buck and or a couple of does. Or, I'd have 75-100 snares set on a 12 mile long fenceline and take them to check it for 2-3 hours in the late morning and let them do the 'dispatching' of any live varmints and hogs caught.

I guess that is why the smallest tip I ever received as $250 for a $2,750 management buck hunt that ended the first evening and we didn't do to much of the other stuff because the guy was a complete Tool. lmao

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide