Ground blind question #8035821 11/03/20 07:01 PM
B
BaronAlm Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Ignorant question...
I have always hunted from a tree climber, never a blind. I was in an accident and cannot currently climb. Due to my recovery timeline, I put up a ground, pop-up blind, late (About a week after open of Bow). I knew the deer would spook and I would not see them on camera for a while. This definitely happened and I have not seen a single deer or any sign since I put up the blind (They were all over the camera- morning, mid-day and evening, without fail, along with clear sign throughout the area).
Again, stupid question but, should I attempt to remove the blind or could that possibly spook them off for a longer duration?

Thank you for your thoughts...

Re: Ground blind question [Re: BaronAlm] #8035882 11/03/20 07:39 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Did you brush it in? Make sure you leave with the windows zipped or Velcro. Deer spook to flapping fabric or large black areas. A well brushed in GB should not spook deer unless it’s under the feeder. Good luck.

Re: Ground blind question [Re: BaronAlm] #8035889 11/03/20 07:44 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’m guessing it’s not brushed in, if not make it disappear with brush and it will likely solve your problem. If you’ve pushed them out it may take them a little while to come back though. Keep us posted regardless

Re: Ground blind question [Re: Walkabout] #8035907 11/03/20 07:57 PM
B
BaronAlm Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Hello, Walkabout and Ol Thumper, I brushed in to the best of my abilities... I am thinking that it was not a good enough job, now. I hunt in deep, thick woods so I was pretty limited on set up location but I thought I found the perfect spot. Regardless, I know I put up in their "living room" and they notice just about everything.
I did leave a couple of the flaps unzipped about 1/4 of the way just to possibly air it out. I did not think about the blackness of the interior. I will see what I can do but I am quite sure they are gone for a bit, unfortunately. My OCD may just make me remove it! hammer

Thank you both for your input and wishes. I will keep you posted!

Re: Ground blind question [Re: BaronAlm] #8036014 11/03/20 08:50 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
The blind should not spook them. I've set them up in the morning and killed a buck in the afternoon. Maybe the acorns are falling
and they just are not coming to the feeder as much right now.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Ground blind question [Re: BaronAlm] #8036744 11/04/20 02:47 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I go with Mr. T on this one. I am on a lease in NE TX. The feeders work well for hogs, but not deer. I have shot several deer on the property, and only one came to a feeder. There is usually a great acorn crop. I have noticed that often no deer will be seen on camera (pointed at a feeder) but are in the area. What county are you hunting in? Also, is a wooden box blind normally brushed in? Something to think about.

Re: Ground blind question [Re: Mr. T.] #8038731 11/05/20 04:49 AM
B
BaronAlm Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Hello Mr. T. and Brother Phil,

I am hunting in Wise County (Personal property, not the LBJ) and the property is >90% oaks with heavy density. Yes sir, plenty of acorns (still). I do not hunt a feeder, I just found the usual signs (big rubs, tracks, many piles of fresh droppings, etc) and heavy, beat down trails, and put up a camera. Boom! Bucks and does of all sizes. On camera, every day. I hid the camera "well". They always look at it but they always came back.

That is true about a box blind... Since I found the spot, I have been very careful not to walk around much through there except to check the camera (Never an issue) and then to put up the blind. They were in there in the morning, I put up the blind in the afternoon, and starting that evening, nothing has been on camera since. I have not walked around the area much because I do not want to spread my scent. And the blind is not right on top of any main access trail they appear to be using, or on top of any of the rubs that I have found, either.

I found this spot by gauging feeding and bedding areas for late season. I know deer change their patterns but this does not seem to be a coincidence. Or maybe I just gave them "incentive" to change their pattern.

I will be going back out Friday afternoon to sit for a bit and check the camera once more. If nothing, I will probably just take the blind down and hunt from the ground until I can climb again. I will keep you posted...

Thank you for your thoughts, as well!

Last edited by BaronAlm; 11/05/20 05:11 AM.
Re: Ground blind question [Re: BaronAlm] #8039100 11/05/20 03:19 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Good luck. If it was a brand new blind, maybe it smelled a little right out of the box. However, it should be aired out
by now and I truly believe that they will be back for you this weekend.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Ground blind question [Re: Mr. T.] #8039309 11/05/20 05:37 PM
B
BaronAlm Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Understood sir! I hope that is the case. I will definitely let you know.

Re: Ground blind question [Re: BaronAlm] #8039586 11/05/20 09:05 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I’m just North of you South of Bowie. The GrownGrandsons use store bought blinds that are brushed in but it gets done a couple of months before bow season. I generally just sit at the bottom of a cedar tree. The deer don’t spook.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Ground blind question [Re: Dave Davidson] #8039663 11/05/20 09:53 PM
B
BaronAlm Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Hello Mr. Davidson, yes sir, not far from me at all. I normally go up and hunt the National Forest in Arkansas and if I am out hiking around, that is exactly what I do. I do not like to carry my tree climber when out scouting. I have had quite a bit of success on the ground.

And yes sir, I figured it would be an issue putting it up so late but was hoping they would be back in by now. It's making me sick. Haha I know there are MANY different factors but do your grandsons have success during bow when they put them up around that time?

Re: Ground blind question [Re: BaronAlm] #8041262 11/07/20 03:41 AM
B
BaronAlm Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Well, as of yesterday, they are back in and on camera. And they brought several more of their big boy friends. The only problem is, they are not going anywhere near the blind. At least not close enough for a comfortable bow shot. I am going to leave it up but will probably get on the ground where they are coming from.

Last edited by BaronAlm; 11/07/20 03:42 AM.
Re: Ground blind question [Re: BaronAlm] #8063828 11/25/20 12:09 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Baron, the deer and hogs seem to pretty well ignore them. Never tried one that was just set up without brush around it. They generally get them in about 2 weeks before the start of bow season.

Gotta admit, I had one small doe that knew damn well that I was there with a 30 30.. And, I had a favorable wind.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Ground blind question [Re: BaronAlm] #8133187 01/18/21 03:47 AM
M
mley1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I hunted up near Menard this weekend. We set up Barronett Ox5 and Ox4 blinds Saturday midday, and had deer on us that afternoon, and this morning. We did set them up near large trees and brushed them in to break up their outline. The deer didn't pay much attention to them. I've got video and pics of deer about five steps in front of the blind I was in.

Thanks,

Marty
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide