texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
TxnRunner, fssgreen, RingerTexas, NTC, BassnChris
69123 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 109,091
bill oxner 89,135
SnakeWrangler 60,965
stxranchman 58,949
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 44,209
BMD 41,232
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics613,922
Posts11,478,033
Members84,123
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
how'd your dove hunting go? #8033510 11/02/20 03:23 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 12,521
T
TCM3 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 12,521
9 total for the season 6 for me and my brother got 3.
That's alot better than the last 4 seasons combined.
Hope the December season is better.


(R-TX) [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.
Sam Houston
Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8033907 11/02/20 03:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 32,203
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 32,203
14 half day hunts, 116 birds, 8.3 birds per hunt. It is the first season probably since 2007 I hunted dove all season, normally I just hunt the opener. But me and Tara really had fun with dove this season.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8034337 11/02/20 07:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,759
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,759
We had 3 great hunts around Haskell.


"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8034443 11/02/20 08:27 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,000
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,000
Worst year I've ever had at our place in Van Zandt County. Never fired a shot. Had the groceries, had the water...just zero dove. Very odd. Still relaxing to be able to walk out the back door and hunt...just would have been nice to have some birds for the dogs.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8034450 11/02/20 08:30 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,865
4
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
4
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,865
First year in a long time I did not have multiple hunts. Had 2 hunts, limit on one and 8 on the other. Pretty sad season for me.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8034498 11/02/20 08:57 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 14
L
longtalltexan Offline
Light Foot
Offline
Light Foot
L
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 14
18 hunts spanning Harris, Waller, and Dewitt Counties. 14 birds total. Best hunt was 5 birds. Not for lack of shooting, but lack of opportunity. I knew this would be a tough season hunting mostly near home.
Still, had a blast.


A wise man told me don't argue with fools. Folks from a distance can't tell who is who.
Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8034533 11/02/20 09:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,698
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,698
2 hunts.... 3 birds total. No birds where I could go. Worst dove season for me in over 50 years of hunting.


Bobby Barnett

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8034675 11/02/20 10:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 214
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 214
Saw more quail than dove.That was nice to see. Probably won't bother with it next year. Developments are growing faster than fire ant piles, so not much future for birds around here anyway.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: Guy] #8034928 11/03/20 02:12 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 12,521
T
TCM3 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 12,521
Originally Posted by Guy
14 half day hunts, 116 birds, 8.3 birds per hunt. It is the first season probably since 2007 I hunted dove all season, normally I just hunt the opener. But me and Tara really had fun with dove this season.

Daang!!! what zone are you in? Season limit is 45 here in montgomery county.


(R-TX) [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.
Sam Houston
Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8035012 11/03/20 03:18 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 32,203
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 32,203
Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by Guy
14 half day hunts, 116 birds, 8.3 birds per hunt. It is the first season probably since 2007 I hunted dove all season, normally I just hunt the opener. But me and Tara really had fun with dove this season.

Daang!!! what zone are you in? Season limit is 45 here in montgomery county.

I think you are confusing season limit with possession limit, which is 3x daily limit.

But Haskell county I shot my birds.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8035015 11/03/20 03:22 AM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 352
B
BallerCaller Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
B
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 352
6 hunts, 38 birds. 2 hunts were limits. Had a few random big groups of white wings on our place this year that helped.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8035017 11/03/20 03:24 AM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 23,443
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 23,443
Don't remember how many shot, but we had a great season.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8035185 11/03/20 12:30 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,661
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,661
This was the best season I had. I went into the South zone last weekend and came out with 5 birds. If I had a dog I would have had 9. I can't believe i left 4 in the milo rows like that, very frustrating not finding the birds. Felt bad too, i worked hard for them.

I learned a trick that ended that - LASER focus on the milo stock where it landed, I did not under any circumstances move my eyes until I reached that milo stock and then i put my hat on it. Only then did i start looking. I was surprised that the doves could be as far away as 10 feet from where I swore it landed. I also learned to let the far ones go. Shoot the closer birds only. Next year I'm going to have mojos instead of cross-crossing corn or milo fields to kick them up.

Also a callout to cleboje if your reading - your PM got me over the hump and I started pointing the shotgun. I have a long way to go to be proficient, but now I know what it is supposed to look like from my point of view. THANKS!

Sneaky - Correction, make that Stompy - , I found your birds. I probably saw close to 150 in 2 days. First time I've ever seen that many, and I can tell you I've burned many gallons of gas in the last 3 years looking.

Last edited by decook; 11/03/20 01:31 PM.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: decook] #8035294 11/03/20 01:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 32,203
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 32,203
Originally Posted by decook
I learned a trick that ended that - LASER focus on the milo stock where it landed, I did not under any circumstances move my eyes until I reached that milo stock and then i put my hat on it. Only then did i start looking. I was surprised that the doves could be as far away as 10 feet from where I swore it landed. I also learned to let the far ones go. Shoot the closer birds only. Next year I'm going to have mojos instead of cross-crossing corn or milo fields to kick them up.

That’s the trick, and don’t mess with doubles unless you drop the first one in a real easy markable spot.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8035423 11/03/20 02:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,658
A
angus1956 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,658
Slow at first but we figured them out hunting some tanks coming to water for evening roost. Mostly short hunts but fast action.
Best part was it's a mile from the house.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: Guy] #8035424 11/03/20 02:57 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,756
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
G
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,756
We killed a bunch of birds. White wing season was really good, morning dove opener was really good, and then we had some good hunts after the October fronts. I hosted a 21 man hunt in late October and we still managed limited for all of the guys that were decent shooters.

More importantly, my 9 year old son upgraded from his pellet gun to a 410 and actually managed to knock some birds down.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8035464 11/03/20 03:18 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,488
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,488
Best season I've had in many years. All thanks to access to some great fields about an hour north of Abilene. Our leased place was better than normal, too, but not until mid Sep.

The big thing this season showed me is that one property that can look good can have zero birds, and just a few miles away a similar place can be loaded up with them. Migration can be completely random like they think they're teal or something.


Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8035562 11/03/20 04:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 526
S
Sinkey Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 526
Crappy!


[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8035672 11/03/20 05:32 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 20
D
doublebarrel Offline
Light Foot
Offline
Light Foot
D
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 20
13 half-day hunts 125 birds, just over 9.5 per hunt. Mostly hunted the afternoons, Williamson and Bell counties in Central Tx. Shot several limits in September but things really slowed in October as the migrants didn't stick around on our fields. Overall on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 4, and it would be much lower than that if September hadn't produced.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: decook] #8035714 11/03/20 06:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 157
C
cleboje Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
C
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by decook
This was the best season I had. I went into the South zone last weekend and came out with 5 birds. If I had a dog I would have had 9. I can't believe i left 4 in the milo rows like that, very frustrating not finding the birds. Felt bad too, i worked hard for them.

I learned a trick that ended that - LASER focus on the milo stock where it landed, I did not under any circumstances move my eyes until I reached that milo stock and then i put my hat on it. Only then did i start looking. I was surprised that the doves could be as far away as 10 feet from where I swore it landed. I also learned to let the far ones go. Shoot the closer birds only. Next year I'm going to have mojos instead of cross-crossing corn or milo fields to kick them up.

Also a callout to cleboje if your reading - your PM got me over the hump and I started pointing the shotgun. I have a long way to go to be proficient, but now I know what it is supposed to look like from my point of view. THANKS!

Sneaky - Correction, make that Stompy - , I found your birds. I probably saw close to 150 in 2 days. First time I've ever seen that many, and I can tell you I've burned many gallons of gas in the last 3 years looking.


Decook
Glad you found your rhythm...it's a great feeling when you watch a dove "cartwheel" from being center-punched by a pattern...now to practice, practice, practice to build that muscle memory!
I had to attend a wedding in Austin, so I missed the last weekend of the first split in the South Zone.
Hope to get on some more birds once the second split arrives in mid-December!
Joe

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8043311 11/09/20 12:38 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 131
G
Garwoodie Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
G
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 131
Slow season for us, great opener with limits first 2 days. After that, slow poor season.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: TCM3] #8045762 11/10/20 11:30 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,039
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,039
Made about 6 hunts in September and averaged 4-6 birds/hunt.

They finally cut the sunflower fields and I scratched off 5 limits, then a 8 bird and a 5 bird day October 31st and November 1st.

Finished with 118 birds in 13 hunts.

Hunting Sunflower fields in Slaton.

Re: how'd your dove hunting go? [Re: Cochise] #8049377 11/13/20 03:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
G
gentimmy Offline
Light Foot
Offline
Light Foot
G
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by Cochise
Worst year I've ever had at our place in Van Zandt County. Never fired a shot. Had the groceries, had the water...just zero dove. Very odd. Still relaxing to be able to walk out the back door and hunt...just would have been nice to have some birds for the dogs.


Where in VZ are you? We probably saw 30ish birds a day when we went out in Myrtle Springs

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2021 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3