Print Thread
Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? #8031643 10/31/20 05:56 PM
D
Danny_DeerVito Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Brand new to this Public Hunting thing, and deer hunting altogether. Not looking for anyone’s secrets, just a nudge in the right direction.
Located in NW DFW, so Cooper MWA, Caddo-Ladonia, and Hagerman-Nocona seem to be the closest to me. But I don’t have the slightest bit of idea if any of those would be worth a 3-4 day midweek trip. Does anyone have experience hunting deer and/or hogs on these units, or any others nearby that would be better?
Not hung up on the success of the hunt, just looking to get some public land experience and spend a few days in the woods. If I can put some meat in the freezer, just a bonus.

Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8031739 10/31/20 07:42 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Check out the LBJ National Grasslands. The Caddo National Grasslands have very few deer, and are better for squirrel hunting. If you are into duck and small game hunting, there is some quality places on public land. I would suggest getting an Annual Hunting Permit, and doing some legwork. If you are really into deer hunting, there is nothing like being a member of a quality hunting lease. If you can connect with deer, on a regular basis, on public land, then you are very skilled hunter.

Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: Brother Phil] #8032243 11/01/20 02:17 AM
D
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Thanks for the info, tons of different sections of land there at LBJ. Looks like a better idea to focus on the smaller plots with the amount of trails/traffic/roads on the bigger sections.

Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8032367 11/01/20 04:16 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
That is a good idea, getting to know an area. It beats going to a new place each time, and doing much scouting, but little hunting.

Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8032920 11/01/20 07:12 PM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
Cooper and Hagerman are bow only. Ladonia can get crowded.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8033212 11/01/20 11:36 PM
R
romans44 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
We hunt Cooper WMA. Takes a lot of leg work and scouting the thick stuff to find em sometimes. Lots of pigs im the bottoms and some decent bucks when you find them, sometimes 2 miles deep. Don't leave anything hanging on a tree if your too attached to it. I've had all kinds of stuff stolen. But its all worth it when you finally find a big old swamp donkey. Just my 2c

Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: romans44] #8033858 11/02/20 03:07 PM
D
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted by upsslim
Cooper and Hagerman are bow only. Ladonia can get crowded.

I have the equipment for it, part of the reason why I was wanting to focus on those places to avoid the gun crowd in the coming months.
Originally Posted by romans44
We hunt Cooper WMA. Takes a lot of leg work and scouting the thick stuff to find em sometimes. Lots of pigs im the bottoms and some decent bucks when you find them, sometimes 2 miles deep. Don't leave anything hanging on a tree if your too attached to it. I've had all kinds of stuff stolen. But its all worth it when you finally find a big old swamp donkey. Just my 2c

I didn’t grow up deer hunting, mostly birds and the occasional hog. Just looking to get some new experience and try to get my first deer/put some meat in the freezer. Is it necessary to hunt from a tree stand or could I get by with a ground blind? Ive had plenty of deer walk by close enough when turkey hunting.

Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8034715 11/02/20 11:24 PM
R
romans44 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I'm not a huge fan of ground blinds but lots if people use them. Find you a good high traffic game trail and try it. Don't be afraid to walk around. Nothing will pay off more than putting the time in to walk around and getting familiar with the area.

Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8039141 11/05/20 03:58 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers agree with romans44... Archery deer/hogs @ OSBWMA ever since it went public...
Archery only, it has (like others) draw hunts...
Prefured tree stands, could slowly pattern deer & move closer...
Lots of oaks, brows, & forage... So hot & miss.
Find the run lines, scrapes...
Chance for deer & plenty hogs....
If can find good trail, just a bucket ta sit on
or they sell tree tree seats (they strap around the base of tree)
or hunting folding chair...
Look for oaks, white oaks, pine oaks...

Did most of me scout/hunt during the any legal means hog hunts...
Wealth if knowladge...
Had gps wrote down all , scrapes, runs, droppings, trails, & such.
Have Topo USA on lap top & put in info...
It stays wet down thar, floods @ times...
Awesome hunting, have met several former D/FW area...
Best wish's...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8047867 11/12/20 01:13 PM
T
Tw0fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Welcome to it, Danny! I’m only on my second season here in Freedomland, but I’ve been leaning against public trees for quite some time now (previously in PA.). Here’s what little wisdom I have to spare (lol):

1. Scout.

The trick back home was to “go out for squirrels” and spend the day banging around and seeing all you can see. Other places will let you “go for a day hike” with your binoculars. Of course there’s no closed season for hogs here, though local regs can vary. Even if you’re just looking at topo maps or google maps/satellite photos, having an idea of what’s out there is going to be a huge help. This is my first hoggin’ season, but I can tell you from experience that if you can walk up on a deer at random and see him first you’re awfully good and likely lucky.

2. Avoid crowds.

You’re absolutely right to want to make a midweek trip. Avoiding crowds means being when and where other folks aren’t. Be ready to walk in farther than any other hunters you see, or take an unusual route in - though be careful not to go thundering about in a way others could misconstrue as driving deer off from near them. Also, dunno if it’s worth saying but getting in early - like in the dark early- is always going to improve your odds.

3. Don’t be seen.

I heard combing tree stands are great, I dunno because I’m a little scared to try em 😂. Keeping in mind that most animals will run just from smelling you there, if you’re fidgeting obviously enough animals will see that too. Ground blinds are cool but can be disruptive (thus avoided..) but I’ve personally gotten a lot of mileage out of a cheapie Dicks sporting goods burlap camo blanket for impromptu stand hunting. Obviously don’t conceal your Orange if you’re in a place or time where it’s legally required.

Lastly, go buy Colt .45’s book whenever he puts it out roflmao

Jordan

"It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them." -- G. K. Chesterton
Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: Danny_DeerVito] #8068800 11/29/20 09:14 PM
B
BooneCrockettBowieMartin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
See my first post might help, Howdy Everyone, technically not really a newbie. I was on the Texas fishing forum back in the 90,s but new to hunting forum. I'm a native Texan of 65 yrs and living in Grapevine, Tx. for 45 yrs. recently retired with lost of time on my hands,
With all that being said, I've been hunting 24/7 on Texas public land from the Red to the Rio Grand with some success and private land as well for native Texas game. I'm seeing some post by newbies and others questioning and not sure about hunting on Public Land. Well I'm here to help along with all the other great members on this board.
Here's what I would like to plan and do and ya'll tell me if good or bad idea.
Anyone that would like, I will be more than happy to go with you or you with me ( I will probably be going away) to hunt on any public land you would like (split expenses ) or any of 3 private lands ( I only hunt low fence but nothing bad against high fence, its just me) I've used that are more than reasonable in pricing on Tx. game and other game as well, its your choice.( you pay for your hunt).
Also, I will give 1 free Hog hunt per month ( I will not hunt only go with you) on 1 of the 3 private lands ( pretty sure you will harvest one) to any ex military or current military person.( all expenses paid by me).
Well there it is my first hunting post let me know what ya think, I hope all this makes some since,all the best.

You'll come to know, when the bullet hits the bone.
I didn't come this far and get this old by Backing Up.
Re: Public Land Hunting Newbie... Any advice? [Re: BooneCrockettBowieMartin] #8068805 11/29/20 09:18 PM
B
BooneCrockettBowieMartin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
My experience has been on some you can put up stand or blind with your name, APH customer number and date you set it up , you don't have to move it every 3 days but change the date on your tag every 3 days and you can hand bait but no feeders. So technically you can but 1 up 2 months before season but change the date very 72 hours. see Twin Buttes for example. As state above tag everything and may be hide so cameras to help if someone takes it.
Also as stated up, walk walk walk and discover cant say that enough.

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 11/29/20 09:22 PM.

You'll come to know, when the bullet hits the bone.
I didn't come this far and get this old by Backing Up.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide