texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
langleldroit, Wil_hunt_for_food, MommaFox, Williamrush, VnsDavnlsn
68253 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 106,551
bill oxner 81,421
stxranchman 57,307
SnakeWrangler 57,214
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 42,095
BMD 41,172
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics600,450
Posts11,264,432
Members83,253
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs #8031879 10/31/20 09:34 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
Dumped this big boar, I'm really liking 129 gr. SST, Hornady, Superformance. You can see the shot placement on the small silver one, this is approximately where I try to put the bullet. Big boar was on the move, fast walk and looked like he walked right into a brick wall, gave the stanky leg quiver and that was it. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8031944 10/31/20 10:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,392
G
Grizz Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
G
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,392
Impossible! We've all seen the clear internet evidence that the 6.5 Creedmoor can't kill anything but paper. roflmao

I've had great luck with mine shooting 140 SGK, 140 Nosler Accubonds, and 143 ELD-X. I haven't tried the SST in it yet. Good job on the pigs!


Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: Grizz] #8031987 10/31/20 10:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
Originally Posted by Grizz
Impossible! We've all seen the clear internet evidence that the 6.5 Creedmoor can't kill anything but paper. roflmao

I've had great luck with mine shooting 140 SGK, 140 Nosler Accubonds, and 143 ELD-X. I haven't tried the SST in it yet. Good job on the pigs!

You wouldn't believe it, or maybe you would but my buddy has dumped more than I can keep up with ELD-M. In fact, this morning his son killed a great buck with it, a CTR, 24" shooting 143gr. ELD-M. Opened up quick and bored a 2" hole in and out. I like the SST's in my .308, so gave them a go in my 6.5 Creedmoor.


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8032177 11/01/20 12:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,849
J
Jgraider Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,849
I've killed a slew of them with my CTR and 147 ELD-M's. Most exit.

Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8032233 11/01/20 02:03 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,392
G
Grizz Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
G
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,392
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by Grizz
Impossible! We've all seen the clear internet evidence that the 6.5 Creedmoor can't kill anything but paper. roflmao

I've had great luck with mine shooting 140 SGK, 140 Nosler Accubonds, and 143 ELD-X. I haven't tried the SST in it yet. Good job on the pigs!

You wouldn't believe it, or maybe you would but my buddy has dumped more than I can keep up with ELD-M. In fact, this morning his son killed a great buck with it, a CTR, 24" shooting 143gr. ELD-M. Opened up quick and bored a 2" hole in and out. I like the SST's in my .308, so gave them a go in my 6.5 Creedmoor.


I believe it. Everything I've read leads me to believe the performance of the ELD-M and ELD-X are very similar. The ELD-X is what I've been using for a while and the performance has been excellent. Shooting behind the shoulder, the ones that don't drop in their tracks leave a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow (and short).


Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: Grizz] #8032272 11/01/20 02:41 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
Originally Posted by Grizz
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by Grizz
Impossible! We've all seen the clear internet evidence that the 6.5 Creedmoor can't kill anything but paper. roflmao

I've had great luck with mine shooting 140 SGK, 140 Nosler Accubonds, and 143 ELD-X. I haven't tried the SST in it yet. Good job on the pigs!

You wouldn't believe it, or maybe you would but my buddy has dumped more than I can keep up with ELD-M. In fact, this morning his son killed a great buck with it, a CTR, 24" shooting 143gr. ELD-M. Opened up quick and bored a 2" hole in and out. I like the SST's in my .308, so gave them a go in my 6.5 Creedmoor.


I believe it. Everything I've read leads me to believe the performance of the ELD-M and ELD-X are very similar. The ELD-X is what I've been using for a while and the performance has been excellent. Shooting behind the shoulder, the ones that don't drop in their tracks leave a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow (and short).

Thing is, I have seen ELD-M on the shelves and I've walked right past it. I have a decent stock of ELD-X that I shoot in my T3X but here on out I'll buy the ELD-M whenever I can. I went to the SST partly because of OAL, it fits in my magazine of the Wilson Combat AR-10 I also hunt with. The ELD-X was right at the max length of the mag, so close I had to be careful loading as to not deform the tip.


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8032979 11/01/20 07:59 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,725
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Shocked
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,725
Nice

Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8033682 11/02/20 12:59 PM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 56
S
Safety1st Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 56
Shot my first hog last year with my 6.5 and it went about 5 yds. Good job!


To thine own self be true
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8033871 11/02/20 03:15 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,099
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,099
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by Grizz
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by Grizz
Impossible! We've all seen the clear internet evidence that the 6.5 Creedmoor can't kill anything but paper. roflmao

I've had great luck with mine shooting 140 SGK, 140 Nosler Accubonds, and 143 ELD-X. I haven't tried the SST in it yet. Good job on the pigs!

You wouldn't believe it, or maybe you would but my buddy has dumped more than I can keep up with ELD-M. In fact, this morning his son killed a great buck with it, a CTR, 24" shooting 143gr. ELD-M. Opened up quick and bored a 2" hole in and out. I like the SST's in my .308, so gave them a go in my 6.5 Creedmoor.


I believe it. Everything I've read leads me to believe the performance of the ELD-M and ELD-X are very similar. The ELD-X is what I've been using for a while and the performance has been excellent. Shooting behind the shoulder, the ones that don't drop in their tracks leave a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow (and short).

Thing is, I have seen ELD-M on the shelves and I've walked right past it. I have a decent stock of ELD-X that I shoot in my T3X but here on out I'll buy the ELD-M whenever I can. I went to the SST partly because of OAL, it fits in my magazine of the Wilson Combat AR-10 I also hunt with. The ELD-X was right at the max length of the mag, so close I had to be careful loading as to not deform the tip.



Seen it on the shelf recently? FINALLY got my 6.5 sighted in this week and I've been looking for ELDM or X.


"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8033887 11/02/20 03:25 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
@ Ox190, Seen it on the shelf recently? FINALLY got my 6.5 sighted in this week and I've been looking for ELDM or X.

Yes. It's out there. I'll buy it for you if you want, next time I see it if you say the word.


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8033894 11/02/20 03:30 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,099
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,099
I'd appreciate it, 2-3 boxes would be great I can Venmo you. Or if it's nearby just tell me where and I can run and grab it. I sighted in with some cheap S&B I'd bought to get on paper and I may use it just to head shoot pigs. I was actually pretty surprised at the S&B I got some decent groups with it at 100.


"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8034011 11/02/20 04:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
you bet


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8034948 11/03/20 02:23 AM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,829
A
angus1956 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
A
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,829
Can't be the interweb says that gun is only good for ringing steel targets at 500+ yards. roflmao

Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: angus1956] #8036268 11/03/20 11:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
Originally Posted by angus1956
Can't be the interweb says that gun is only good for ringing steel targets at 500+ yards. roflmao

I hear ya, I read all that. But like most of the time I disregarded 50% of that and remembered that bullets kill, and they make all types, for all calibers.


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8037102 11/04/20 09:41 AM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,829
A
angus1956 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
A
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,829
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by angus1956
Can't be the interweb says that gun is only good for ringing steel targets at 500+ yards. roflmao

I hear ya, I read all that. But like most of the time I disregarded 50% of that and remembered that bullets kill, and they make all types, for all calibers.

A 6.5 CM pushing a 140 gr bullet at 2600 FPS does and will kill deer, hogs, antelope, etc. Not just paper and steel targets.

Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: angus1956] #8037578 11/04/20 05:21 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,424
F
flintknapper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,424
Originally Posted by angus1956
Can't be the interweb says that gun is only good for ringing steel targets at 500+ yards. roflmao


^^^^^

It's good for that too, but my Older Brother used his 'chassis long range rifle' to topple this boar with good results. 6.5 Creed will get it done.

[Linked Image]


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Liking 6.5 Creedmoor on hogs [Re: flintknapper] #8037651 11/04/20 06:10 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,980
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by angus1956
Can't be the interweb says that gun is only good for ringing steel targets at 500+ yards. roflmao


^^^^^

It's good for that too, but my Older Brother used his 'chassis long range rifle' to topple this boar with good results. 6.5 Creed will get it done.

[Linked Image]

I have it in AR-10 as shown. I also have it in a bolt gun, a Tikka T3X. I have a hunting buddy that has the Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creed, 24" barrel. He has piled up everything with it, using Hornady ELD-M.


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3