I've been suffering with sub-par internet for the last few years.
The company we have been with for years has old equipment, no spare parts and zero redundancy so when ANY tower goes down, my tower goes down as I'm on the end of the string.
My 2 year contract runs out at end of October so it was time to take care of it.
I do some IT/network related consulting online and my son works from home as a Lead Software Engineer for a gaming company and moves large files regularly so we really need speed and reliability.
We had a site survey done on Monday, Sept 28th and they said we needed 40' for good signal.
The best way to get good line of sight signal is height!
I was searching bookOface marketplace for used towers before they got out of driveway!
Found a freshly taken down 80' Rohn about a hundred miles away, made the deal and picked it up on Tuesday afternoon.
I already had a slab from a mid-70's 76' CB tower but had to dig holes and install new anchors for guy wires.
I picked up a few odds and ends including new galvanized grade 5 bolts/nuts for tower joints and ordered a guy wire mount for the tower.
Over the next week, the parts we had on order arrived and we assembled the tower as 50' with a 10' 1-3/4" pushup mast in the top section.
I made an adapter plate to convert the existing bolt pattern on concrete pad to fit the tower pattern.
We attached guy wires and finished the rest of the make ready work.
On the following Tuesday, Octobert 5th, we put the gin pole on my trusty Kubota and raised the tower into place.
We attached and adjusted the guy wire turnbuckles, finished conduit w/pull string and attached ground wire to tower base.
The company arrived on Friday and installed new radio.
And I have good internet again.