Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Planted late... #8017995 10/21/20 03:24 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I've only been plating food plots for a few years now. This year was toughest by far. Since learning how to plant food plots - I have a whole new level of respect for farmers.

Between the lack of rain in the Coleman County area and the shortage of oats (anyone else notice the shortage?) - I wasn't able to get seeds into the ground until last weekend. Been planting Bob Oats with great success the past few years. Couldn't find Bob Oats anywhere over the past month. Ended up getting some Plotspike Oats from Tractor Supply... at a significantly higher price. Had to drive an hour away from my property to find these... oof.

I drilled the oats over 6 aces of disced/cultipacked fields. Curious if anyone else has had experience with these oats and at planting this time of year. I fear that I planted a bit too late and these Tractor Supply oats won't be as frost tolerant as Bob Oats.

Previously managed to get the oats planted late September/early October with a healthy amount of rain that followed shortly after. The Bob Oats I planted previously came up strong and lasted through the Spring.

Do you guys think I'm doomed for foot plots this year? Seems a little rain is coming in the forecast on Friday/Monday and more consistent rain is coming every other week in November. Hoping I didn't get these in too late.

Re: Planted late... [Re: JDP Ranch] #8018030 10/21/20 03:52 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I think you will be fine. I've planted Plotspike Oats from tractor supply as a test once. They did quite well, but I won't be using them since they were far more than double the cost of regular oats.
However, if they were the only thing you could get, then be happy you got them.

Last edited by Mr. T.; 10/21/20 03:53 PM.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Planted late... [Re: JDP Ranch] #8018224 10/21/20 06:50 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
I've only been plating food plots for a few years now. This year was toughest by far. Since learning how to plant food plots - I have a whole new level of respect for farmers.

Between the lack of rain in the Coleman County area and the shortage of oats (anyone else notice the shortage?) - I wasn't able to get seeds into the ground until last weekend. Been planting Bob Oats with great success the past few years. Couldn't find Bob Oats anywhere over the past month. Ended up getting some Plotspike Oats from Tractor Supply... at a significantly higher price. Had to drive an hour away from my property to find these... oof.

I drilled the oats over 6 aces of disced/cultipacked fields. Curious if anyone else has had experience with these oats and at planting this time of year. I fear that I planted a bit too late and these Tractor Supply oats won't be as frost tolerant as Bob Oats.

Previously managed to get the oats planted late September/early October with a healthy amount of rain that followed shortly after. The Bob Oats I planted previously came up strong and lasted through the Spring.

Do you guys think I'm doomed for foot plots this year? Seems a little rain is coming in the forecast on Friday/Monday and more consistent rain is coming every other week in November. Hoping I didn't get these in too late.

I think you will be fine. We are going to get rain the end of the week and next week from what I saw. Typically takes oats 60 days to mature.

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Planted late... [Re: JDP Ranch] #8018442 10/21/20 09:38 PM
E
ELKMTB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
first freeze possible this weekend

Re: Planted late... [Re: JDP Ranch] #8018646 10/22/20 12:14 AM
S
SB9969 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Since it hasn't rained in Coryell county in a month I have been waiting. Was doing it this weekend since we are suppose to get rain next week. Hopefully everything will go fine. Good luck with yours.

Re: Planted late... [Re: JDP Ranch] #8019255 10/22/20 02:22 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Thanks guys. Makes me feel better about planting. Curious to see how the Tractor Supply oats perform compared to Bob Oats.

Re: Planted late... [Re: JDP Ranch] #8019275 10/22/20 02:48 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I think you'll be fine. The lack of rain is the true killer this year. We're in Mills county (drive through Coleman all the time to get there). We planted 3 weeks ago but didn't plant on moisture and haven't gotten any rain. Hopefully the next 10 days delivers.

Seed oats have been getting harder and harder to come by. We've been using feed oats the last few years that we use for livestock. We double-chisel the fields, sling the oats with a fertilizer wagon, and then tandem it in and always get a good stand. My rec on seed oats would be to start calling seed companies in June-they may be able to order it for you and get it by the time you need it.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Planted late... [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8019314 10/22/20 03:11 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I think you'll be fine. The lack of rain is the true killer this year. We're in Mills county (drive through Coleman all the time to get there). We planted 3 weeks ago but didn't plant on moisture and haven't gotten any rain. Hopefully the next 10 days delivers.

Seed oats have been getting harder and harder to come by. We've been using feed oats the last few years that we use for livestock. We double-chisel the fields, sling the oats with a fertilizer wagon, and then tandem it in and always get a good stand. My rec on seed oats would be to start calling seed companies in June-they may be able to order it for you and get it by the time you need it.

Good to know. I was tempted to plant feed oats (read that quite a few people do). Might try that next year. Definitely going to pre-order oats next year!

Re: Planted late... [Re: JDP Ranch] #8019329 10/22/20 03:18 PM
B
boxerdog Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Check out east Texas seed company they are based in Tyler but shipped to my house for $20. They have a pretty good budget blend mix that is coated and it’s only $25 for 50 lbs bag.

Re: Planted late... [Re: JDP Ranch] #8019336 10/22/20 03:24 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Good to know. I was tempted to plant feed oats (read that quite a few people do). Might try that next year. Definitely going to pre-order oats next year!

If you can't find anything next year and want feed oats, give me a shout. I think we're paying ~$3-4/bushel (10-12/100wt). We could certainly spare 600-700 pounds if you're willing to sack it out of a bin in Goldthwaite.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Planted late... [Re: JDP Ranch] #8029115 10/29/20 05:13 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I planted 8 days ago, the day after this cold,wet weather moved in. Hardley ever plant this late and have far less expectations, but as many, lack of rain.

I have had great luck using WHOLE feed oats, a little more weed seed than certified seed, but manageable for what I pay. I used to plant BOB oats, but for deer I haven't seen a huge difference, it does get tougher sooner than BP, but you can shred the tops off if it gets to high and get some regrowth. I mix in some wheat to hedge for real cold weather as well.

As far as comparing the two seed types, I think you'd be fairer to yourself planting both types side by side, so you get a fare comparison. Too many weather variables from your past planting to this year which has been much dryer overall, at least where I'm at.

BTW just walked my plots and did find some sprouting, not like I might find if temps where a tad warmer, but they are giving it some effort. Hopefully see more growth during this warm up to normal fall temps.

Last edited by Western; 10/29/20 05:13 PM.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide