Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt #8018877 10/22/20 03:06 AM
M
mr. buck Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Just wanted to start a poll amongst the lessees and lessors on the forum. Simple question, does your lease agreement guarantee exclusive hunting rights or are landowner and family also allowed to hunt?

Exclusive vs LO & Immediate family
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/22/20 03:05 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8018890 10/22/20 03:18 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
LO and family hunting is a generally a bag of hurt and invites conflicts. But every lease is different. It just depends. But personally I’d pass on one where family has hunting privileges. Land owner ok. Just too many variables to make a general yes or no decision.

To be determined
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8018954 10/22/20 05:07 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I lease a place where in the lease agreement the landowner has the right to erect 1 blind in a corner of the property and take a doe/spike.

It’s been 3 years and they have not erected that blind. I wanted to hunt the property bad enough and it’s ( imo ) a reasonable request to want to harvest a deer for meat so I didn’t fight it.

I would hesitate to pay good money to hunt a ranch where the land owner and his family had hunting rights across the board. . If it was deeply discounted then maybe depending on everything else.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8018957 10/22/20 05:22 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
If they want to hunt it, do not lease it to other people to hunt it. Sooner or later, there will always be a conflict arise, if they hunt it and lease it.

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8019032 10/22/20 11:55 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Funny how when some people “lease”, they think they “own”

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: maximus_flavius] #8019037 10/22/20 12:01 PM
A
Archer Anthony Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

Why would you want to pay to hunt property and have direct competition with the people you are paying? I agree with above. If you want to hunt your property you shouldn't lease it. Now if its a rather large ranch and you are going to hunt a specific area thats different. Before we owned property, we had a few lease and none of the property owners hunted. I would say i spent on average $6,000 a year all expenses. Thats alot of money to pay and have direct competition. JUST MY OPINION.

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: maximus_flavius] #8019063 10/22/20 12:17 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

When you pay good money to lease...…..you do own

THE HUNTING RIGHTS!

I was taught and in turn taught my two kids to ALWAYS leave a place better than you find it and the most important thing you can do is treat the land with respect and that means stopping every time you spot the smallest piece of trash laying under the brush! So, if I'm paying the owner the agreed upon lease fees I think that the same respect should be shown back to me when I take care of his/her place and follow all the set rules.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: maximus_flavius] #8019122 10/22/20 01:05 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Funny how some people think they can "lease" their land for money and the lessee has no rights what so ever because its their land.

You dont want people on your land and you dont want to give up the hunting rights... real simple dont take other peoples money for a leas.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8019128 10/22/20 01:11 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If the property is big enough and the LO carves out a specific, separate pasture for just family, it MAY be okay. But otherwise, I think the chances are high that some family member will see you as just a chump and have the attitude that "This is my family's land and I'll do whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want."

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: redchevy] #8019155 10/22/20 01:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Originally Posted by redchevy

Funny how some people think they can "lease" their land for money and the lessee has no rights what so ever because its their land.

You dont want people on your land and you dont want to give up the hunting rights... real simple dont take other peoples money for a leas.

I’m on both sides I’m a leasee and lessor. I think people tend to do what's convenient to them instead of what's the right thing to do. Most have a hard time understanding cattle and crops trump hunting. They can't fathom that their money is easily replaced With someone else. Trash, ruts, having to resort cattle due to gate being open is unacceptable, and not a leasee entitlement.

OP-Every lease I’ve been on in past 10 years, owners/family don't hunt or have specific family pasture to them selves. First question I ask.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8019175 10/22/20 01:36 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I’m on both sides I’m a leasee and lessor. I think people tend to do what's convenient to them instead of what's the right thing to do. Most have a hard time understanding cattle and crops trump hunting. They can't fathom that their money is easily replaced With someone else. Trash, ruts, having to resort cattle due to gate being open is unacceptable, and not a leasee entitlement.

OP-Every lease I’ve been on in past 10 years, owners/family don't hunt or have specific family pasture to them selves. First question I ask.

I have limited lease hunting experience but both ive been on the family hunted too. It was never a problem for us. We knew what the rules were when we started same for the owner. Fortunately we were all good enough to stand by our agreement, no signed papers, just a civil discussion and a handshake. My favorite lease was a working ranch that ran cattle and goats, that was part of it. The stock ruined some hunts that was just part of it. Everyone knew what they were getting from the start and everyone stuck to it and was happy for over 20 years.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: ntxtrapper] #8019195 10/22/20 01:45 PM
S
Stetsonoverton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
If they want to hunt it, do not lease it to other people to hunt it. Sooner or later, there will always be a conflict arise, if they hunt it and lease it.

exactly to much money involved cant have best of both worlds least I wouldn't go for it,

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8019204 10/22/20 01:49 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
The agreement is only as honest as the parties on either side.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8019208 10/22/20 01:51 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Truth, been on both sides and if I ever had enough land again, no way would I lease it out.

Was also on a large lease one time, was told the son had rights to hunt, but he was in college. Well the son and his buddies from school hunted the place more than we did.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8019224 10/22/20 01:56 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I chose the LO option due to the fact he keeps spring turkey for him and his brother. We have exclusive rights during deer season. Full year round access and he let's us know the days he will be hunting during turkey so we can plan our work schedules around that.

Last edited by landsurveyor; 10/22/20 01:58 PM.

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8019251 10/22/20 02:14 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I had a landowner about 8 years ago want me to be the broker and lease out his 600 acre ranch for deer hunting. The stipulation was he wanted his family to be able to hunt the hunters stands and feeders the week of Thanksgiving, and he still wanted top money for it. I told him I would NOT touch that with a 10' pole. To my knowledge he's never been able to lease it.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: Stompy] #8019253 10/22/20 02:20 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stompy
I had a landowner about 8 years ago want me to be the broker and lease out his 600 acre ranch for deer hunting. The stipulation was he wanted his family to be able to hunt the hunters stands and feeders the week of Thanksgiving, and he still wanted top money for it. I told him I would NOT touch that with a 10' pole. To my knowledge he's never been able to lease it.

When I was looking at a lot of different ranches, to purchase one, it was mindblowing what some owners think would be acceptable to a buyer. Some folks have no perspective beyond their personal wants.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8019520 10/22/20 05:44 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
It depends, we hunted multiple leases in South Texas from same family for 35+ years and it was understood not written that family members could and may hunt infrequently; they rarely did, maybe once a year and there were plenty of nice deer to go around. They averaged 1-2 days a season hunting, rarely harvesting much. Had they been daily frequent hunters may have been a different situation. Do recall some separate lessors blowing up on LO's elderly uncle harvesting an old spike buck on their pasture; never saw people get kicked off so quickly. Two campers, two offshore houses and several blinds moved off that same weekend. These were hunters with nearly 10 years on the property but highly arrogant in my opinion; they separately leased a 3,000 acre on the Callaghan and often floated that. My opinion is that full and complete disclosure is paramount.

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: maximus_flavius] #8019534 10/22/20 05:56 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

With full disclosure given and agreed upon, couldn't agree with you more Max....

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: DQ Kid] #8019537 10/22/20 05:58 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

With full disclosure given and agreed upon, couldn't agree with you more Max....

And that there is the deciding factor...

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: Creekrunner] #8019540 10/22/20 06:00 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Stompy

When I was looking at a lot of different ranches, to purchase one, it was mindblowing what some owners think would be acceptable to a buyer. Some folks have no perspective beyond their personal wants.

as long as you arn't a subdivider or expect reasonable access to your property it shouldn't be a problem....

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8019558 10/22/20 06:09 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've been involved in several leases over the short course of my life.

Leasing out the family ranch we reserved one "spot" ( same number of animals the lease hunters received per individual ) and it worked out ok. They didn't have a season lease per say but a 14 day period they could hunt, and we did not hunt during that time period. We normally shot culls and does and hogs. This was all stated upfront and we all got along, and for them being out of state the 14 day deal worked out fine for them. We also extended this time to them on several occasions so it went both ways.

I've been on the " family is gonna be here the week of thanksgiving" type places and imo thats more of a have your cake and eat it too type scenarios. I lease a house from a person i don't expect their family to come stay with me during the holidays, i feel the same way about a hunting lease.

We leased one place from a guy, he did not hunt but he didn't want his entire property leased out. He leased us 1/3rd of the ranch for hunting, we had access to the entire ranch for riding 4 wheelers and fishing in the many tanks and lakes but could only hunt on the 3rd. Kinda of an odd set up but it worked out.

One thing I've done personally and its worked out very well, is when i lease a place for hunting, i lease it for hunting. I don't hang out there in the off season, target shoot, invite a bunch of friends, etc. I don't make myself seen other than absolutely necessary and during season i'm quiet as a church mouse. This way no one gets a bad taste in their mouth about the arraignment. Landowners do not like feeling they are getting taken advantage of, regardless of whether or not that is actually happening.

I will say this....in 12 years of selling ranches, the number of leasee's I have come across that treat the ranch like crap far outweigh the ones that respect the place. Take that for what its worth

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8019692 10/22/20 08:03 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I'm the only person hunting the tract but do enjoy it whenever the landowner joins me.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: redchevy] #8020635 10/23/20 12:19 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Who says the lessee has no rights? Your creating a straw man.

What if it’s a large chunk of land? Is it ok with you if the owner leases part of it?

If you don’t like the deal offered, don’t take it, nobody is making you.

Re: Exclusive rights vs landowner family allowed to hunt [Re: mr. buck] #8020637 10/23/20 12:20 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Good to see the old “my lease money means I can do whatever I want” group is here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide