Print Thread
New to Archery #8017348 10/20/20 11:01 PM
T
txbarrett Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
I’m new to archery & haven’t been out hunting yet... I picked up a Blackout Epic from BPS a couple of weeks ago and have been shooting in the backyard. My groupings aren’t very impressive at 30yrds, but I practice everyday. Did I purchase a decent bow for a beginner? What kid of tips can anyone give me to improve my aim?

Re: New to Archery [Re: txbarrett] #8017372 10/20/20 11:26 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
welcome

Re: New to Archery [Re: ChrisB] #8017378 10/20/20 11:29 PM
T
txbarrett Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Thanks!

Re: New to Archery [Re: txbarrett] #8017389 10/20/20 11:39 PM
P
Peepaw on Fork Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
P
Keep practicing. A short fast bow like that is less forgiving than a longer slower bow.

Re: New to Archery [Re: txbarrett] #8017419 10/20/20 11:57 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I cant help you much but what little i know would be a lot. Im trying to say that learning to bow hunt the right way and ethically is a marathon not a sprint. An experienced bow hunter could type forever with tips. Im not trying to discourage you cause you have to start somewhere but just hoping you will be realistic with expectations. You probably should walk into a bow shop and ask the same question. Not that this forum wont have the answers but its hard to explain alot when not in person. If you stay engaged and interact and seem nice a good guy then someone may take you under their wing and teach you stuff. Alot of what im talking about isnt just about shooting the bow but specifics about the animal and what happens after the shot. Good luck and welcome to a great forum.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: New to Archery [Re: txbarrett] #8017485 10/21/20 12:34 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Has anyone worked with you on shooting form and the basics of shooting and form?

Stance 90 degrees to the target if you laid an arrow at the end of your feet it should point to the target. Over time you will figure out what is the best for you. But that is a good start.

Grip
you do not really grip the bow which will cause torque and erratic arrow flight. a loose grip will be a lot better with the bow pulling back into the pad of the thumb , following the lifeline.
Try this for grip angle of the hand. Lean against a wall with your fingers pointed up. You could lean that way for a long time. Then turn the hand 90 degrees to the left if you are a right handed shooter. Doesn't feel too god. Now try it at 45 degrees and though not as comfortable as the first position it is a good hand position for the bow hand.

Draw, should be smooth and not jerky, or with excess movement a good poundage to use for hunting is one you can sit on the floor and draw the bow without any struggle.

Anchor point. this is truly your anchor to consistent shooting

You will find what works well for you with the release you have. Shooting a compound bow without a release will never be as accurate as shooting with a release. When at full draw the string should have some face contact I like it so the string is touching the corner of the mouth and my nose. My knuckle is on my ear lobe or jaw depending on the release. The more contact points the more repeatable it is.

Sight I like a peep sight that I can see the front sight ring through the peep. The eye centers two circles real easy then put the pin for that distance on your target. Most cannot hold it dead on the target without some movement and a pattern helps some with the movement.

Breathing control your breathing. A couple deep breaths then draw on inhale et out a little settle the pin and squeeze the trigger on the release do not slap it.

Follow through, hold that bow arm out and the bow wil rock in your hand, try pulling the bow out of the way before the arrow is a way to ee a bad shot.

When practicing, practice with purpose. By that I mean concentrate on the basics of the shot each and every time until it becomes second nature. When you start getting tired you start making mistakes and practicing mistakes just works those into your form.

Mostly have fun with it and do not get too frustrated.

There are some good instructional videos on youtube and some not as good.

As far as hunting there are a few really good videos on that as well, but like Freerange said it helps if you have an experienced hunter help you on that. You will learn more about deer and hunting them by bow hunting than you ever will gun hunting and make you a better hunter if you stick with it.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: New to Archery [Re: txbarrett] #8061610 11/23/20 07:31 PM
B
Big red Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Any thoughts on a Winchester bow and what broadheads all the best bang for your buck

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide