Print Thread
Law issues with supressor #8016861 10/20/20 04:11 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Has anybody been asked by any law enforcement agencies for their tax stamp? I saw TXgunner308's story and wondered if anybody else has even been checked? I have not run into anything yet, but curious how ready I need to be.

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8016879 10/20/20 04:22 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
In the truck, Police, Sheriff deputies, and State Troopers have seen it, no questions asked.

On public land in Colorado a park Ranger did not ask a question.

Texas Game Wardens have seen it, no questions asked.

Sure it could happen, but it hasn't happened to me yet. Been moving around with one for 8 years.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: J.G.] #8016891 10/20/20 04:32 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

On public land in Colorado a park Ranger did not ask a question.

I seem to remember seeing that it is illegal to take the suppressor out of state without the ATF's premission. Is this true?

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8016892 10/20/20 04:35 PM
T
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
No. Suppressor is about the only NFA item you dont need a form 5320.20 to travel with. Just dont take it to a state where they are illegal.

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8017133 10/20/20 07:35 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
I got asked at the local gun range one day by a police officer that was out shooting. He said he wasn't "supposed to ask me" but was more curious than anything. If he wasn't "curious" he sure played it off well. He was super nice and said he hadn't seen one up close in person yet and was just curious what the stamp looked like and asked me the entire process I went though.

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8017178 10/20/20 08:24 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I asked our Game Warden this question, and he said with the many varieties of trusts and how a suppressor is filed, he couldn't tell if the person would be legit or not anyway. So he doesn't even ask about it.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8017188 10/20/20 08:34 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Has anybody been asked by any law enforcement agencies for their tax stamp? I saw TXgunner308's story and wondered if anybody else has even been checked? I have not run into anything yet, but curious how ready I need to be.

Buddy and I were out hog hunting and driving down a gravel road. Game warden had a truck stopped in front of us so we just sat and waited. He then came back to us and asked if we had been shooting at deer. Said no sir, we've been hog hunting, asked to look in the bed of the truck. Told him no problem. I always roll down all 4 windows and turn on the interior lights when it is dark and LEO's are around my vehicle. He saw both SBR's with suppressors in the back seat, didn't even pause. Saw we had not poached deer in the bed of the truck and on we went.

I don't think they really care much, as long as you're not breaking any other laws.

[Linked Image]

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: ZK-315] #8017365 10/20/20 11:19 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by ZK-315
I got asked at the local gun range one day by a police officer that was out shooting. He said he wasn't "supposed to ask me" but was more curious than anything. If he wasn't "curious" he sure played it off well. He was super nice and said he hadn't seen one up close in person yet and was just curious what the stamp looked like and asked me the entire process I went though.

He just didn't know what he was doing. Peace Officers in Texas are absolutely justified to inspect the silencer and NFA documents because firearm silencers are prohibited weapons under the Texas Penal Code. The NFA documents are what excludes them from being prohibited weapons.

Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1) any of the following items, unless the item is registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record maintained by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or otherwise not subject to that registration requirement or unless the item is classified as a curio or relic by the United States Department of Justice:

(A) an explosive weapon;

(B) a machine gun; or

(C) a short-barrel firearm;

(2) armor-piercing ammunition;

(3) a chemical dispensing device;

(4) a zip gun;

(5) a tire deflation device;

(6) a firearm silencer, unless the firearm silencer is classified as a curio or relic by the United States Department of Justice or the actor otherwise possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells the firearm silencer in compliance with federal law.

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8017379 10/20/20 11:30 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Meh, whenever a LEO asks me a question I just look him in the eye and say "the law don't go around here", and carry on about my business. He ain't the boss of me, shoot. I KNOW MY RIGTS! roflmao

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8017386 10/20/20 11:36 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Besides keeping copies on my phone, I make printed color copies of the Form 4 and trust that are reduced to 50% or so and laminate them in heavy plastic. They go in a molle admin map pouch and every can has a pouch. The pouches are about 5 bucks on eBay.

[Linked Image]

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: ntxtrapper] #8017387 10/20/20 11:36 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

He just didn't know what he was doing. Peace Officers in Texas are absolutely justified to inspect the silencer and NFA documents because firearm silencers are prohibited weapons under the Texas Penal Code. The NFA documents are what excludes them from being prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1) any of the following items, unless the item is registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record maintained by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or otherwise not subject to that registration requirement or unless the item is classified as a curio or relic by the United States Department of Justice:

(A) an explosive weapon;

(B) a machine gun; or

(4) a zip gun;

(6) a firearm silencer, unless the firearm silencer is classified as a curio or relic by the United States Department of Justice or the actor otherwise possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells the firearm silencer in compliance with federal law.

Damn, I hope they dont catch me with a nail... or a hammer... or a pick axe...

Or pepper spray, according to number 3. Wouldn't number 3 also include bathroom cleaner, air freshener, and spray paint?

I never knew how many illegal weapons were sold at walmart.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8017398 10/20/20 11:45 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

(A) an explosive weapon;

(B) a machine gun; or

(4) a zip gun;

Or pepper spray, according to number 3. Wouldn't number 3 also include bathroom cleaner, air freshener, and spray paint?

(14) “Chemical dispensing device” means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological effect on a human being.

(17) "Tire deflation device" means a device, including a caltrop or spike strip, that, when driven over, impedes or stops the movement of a wheeled vehicle by puncturing one or more of the vehicle's tires.

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: ntxtrapper] #8018023 10/21/20 03:50 PM
J
jhunter77 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

(A) an explosive weapon;

(B) a machine gun; or

(4) a zip gun;

(14) “Chemical dispensing device” means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological effect on a human being.

(17) "Tire deflation device" means a device, including a caltrop or spike strip, that, when driven over, impedes or stops the movement of a wheeled vehicle by puncturing one or more of the vehicle's tires.

I've seen COPS and Live PD spike strips don't stop or impede a vehicles movement 99% of time, the vehicle continues normally until "pitted" or wheels catch on fire.

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8018204 10/21/20 06:37 PM
G
George S Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
I've never been asked by an LEO or even a 'range Nazi'.

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius
Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8018760 10/22/20 01:32 AM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I've been asked 3 or 4 times at public ranges by LEO's, but every time I've got SBRs and full autos as well, and the conversation goes something like this-

"You have all your paperwork in order for those?"
"Yes sir, see anything you want to try?"
"Oh, Im all set, you guys stay safe today"

Pretty relaxed altogether. After other conversations with LEOs about NFA items, Im not sure most would even know what to look for.

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8018771 10/22/20 01:42 AM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Never been asked and I don't generally carry the docs with me. I do have the NFA number on my phone. A copy of anything isn't really much proof either way, I can photoshop you a Form easily.

Re: Law issues with supressor [Re: unclebubba] #8019239 10/22/20 02:06 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
14) “Chemical dispensing device” means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological effect on a human being.

Wasp spray to the face would result in an adverse effect.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide