Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8015871 10/19/20 06:37 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I screwed up. Our kids were allowed to play games on a phone/tablet pretty early on. If i could go back i would re-think that one real long and hard!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8015908 10/19/20 07:13 PM
J
JRSUSMC94 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
We were also able to get away with a lot more shenanigans that they can today.

True. To be fair, lots of things that my parents did that would be considered character building are considered felonies today.

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: Papa Stan] #8015920 10/19/20 07:26 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Papa Stan
Agree with everything. But it doesn't help when the Administrators (Principals & Asst Principals) don't have the backbone to enforce consequences on these little darlings for continual bad behavior at the high school level. The teachers wind up spending most of their time in class dealing with behavior issues instead of teaching. Boils down to the Admins afraid to stand up to the parents.
If I got in trouble at school in the '60's & '70's I knew it was going to be a lot worse at home from my dad with the belt. Sure we had a few knuckleheads, but from my experience today there seems to be a large % of them in the classroom.

This is number one issue in schools today. PC is rule one. That’s parent correctness.

Proverbs 2
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8015929 10/19/20 07:29 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Good post and I agree parents are the issue. Too many mamby pamby window lickers that expect the school to raise their kids instead of jerking a knot in their tail when the kids need it. Schools now have to have a signed permission slip from the parents for corporal punishment. The kids who are taught to deal with discipline at home, aren’t often the trouble makers at school either.
I recently saw a prime example in my rural community. The school still has a respectable dress code and enforces it. New 2nd grade boy showed up wearing ear rings. Was told they did not comply with district dress code and he could not wear them at school. Momma and daddy threw a walleyed fit. Administration told them if putting earrings on their second grade boy was that important to them, they could home school. They pulled him out for two weeks. He came back last week, minus the jewelry in his ears. SMDH.

If you can find this district and have young kids you should move there. An administration that would enforce earrings and challenge the parents are one in a million. Guarantee you that this district turns out a decent product.

Proverbs 2
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8015937 10/19/20 07:35 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My son took cupcakes to his preschool class last week for his birthday (we ok'ed it with the teacher first). Teacher told my son he could hand out the cupcakes when it was time. One little boy in the class refuses to sit down when the teacher tells him to. My son gave all the other kids their cupcake and then told the little boy that wouldn't listen that he didn't get his till he sat down! LOL i about died laughing when he told me on the way home and we got the same story from his teacher as the wife and her chat with each other. She said she wanted to cheer my son on but restrained herself.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: Papa Stan] #8015943 10/19/20 07:39 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Papa Stan
Agree with everything. But it doesn't help when the Administrators (Principals & Asst Principals) don't have the backbone to enforce consequences on these little darlings for continual bad behavior at the high school level. The teachers wind up spending most of their time in class dealing with behavior issues instead of teaching. Boils down to the Admins afraid to stand up to the parents.
If I got in trouble at school in the '60's & '70's I knew it was going to be a lot worse at home from my dad with the belt. Sure we had a few knuckleheads, but from my experience today there seems to be a large % of them in the classroom.

That problem has been mostly mandated by the experts in the Legislature in Austin and the clowns in the Department of Education in Washington.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8015960 10/19/20 07:55 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
When I was a teenager some 35+ years ago, kids drank, did drugs and had sex. However, one thing I think has changed is the complete loss of self awareness around nude pictures/videos and sending nude pictures/videos. Many of the kids I've seen today in middle/high school have no issues asking someone to send them some nudes. What's worse is that the kids have no issues sending them. And if you think this is just a teenage boy thing, you haven't kept up lately. The girls are just as bad. Add in the global presence of social media and you have kids in Texas sending/receiving nudes with other kids all over the US and the world.

The other thing I have been seeing is the growing number of 19 year old seniors. Back in the day, the trend was for parents to push to get their kid into Kindergarten a year early so they could start first grade a year early. That trend flipped and suddenly parents wanted to keep their kid out of K until they turned 6 or hold them back in K so they would have an extra year to "develop." That trend has now led to a large number of 18 year old juniors and 19 year old seniors.

Along with the last one, the other thing I know has changed is that the kids are bigger and are developing earlier. When I was an 8th grader, there weren't many 6' boys in my class. I doubt I could have counted the number of kids in my son's 8th grade class last year that were close to 6' or taller than 6'.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8016025 10/19/20 08:41 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Getting them back to school should help. Found this.

More than 80,000 Houston ISD students return to campus for a 'year of flexibility'

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8016045 10/19/20 08:59 PM
I
Indianation65 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
Umm, I'm currently a high school teacher, been in the industry for years, and I can tell you for a fact, that "kids are different," and much of it is because of what adults tolerate now.

Carl is somewhat correct, much to Vern's dismay.

...------

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8016137 10/19/20 10:41 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We are not the best teachers. Friends seldom look up from their cell phones to say good morning on my morning walks.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: bill oxner] #8016152 10/19/20 10:58 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Indianation65
Umm, I'm currently a high school teacher, been in the industry for years, and I can tell you for a fact, that "kids are different," and much of it is because of what adults tolerate now.

Carl is somewhat correct, much to Vern's dismay.

...------

And they might be in power...next...month.
Originally Posted by bill oxner
We are not the best teachers. Friends seldom look up from their cell phones the say good morning on my morning walks.

Pro tip - They're not your friends.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 10/19/20 10:59 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8016166 10/19/20 11:11 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I think kids are different. They aren’t as mentally mature as they should be at pre teen years. I think that’s because of the hovering mothers and video games. I think the games mess with their brain. I’m speaking from personal experience. My boys are young and I limit their time to 30 minutes a day on video games after chores and homework. When they go to their grandparents for a weekend they are unmonitored on games. I can tell a difference. Discipline is not a problem at either house. I don’t put up with any bullsht and I know my old man doesn’t.

I also disagree with the post that it’s because of no spankings in school. I had spankings in school rarely and had some coaches that could hit pretty good but nothing like my old man. I wasn’t scared of a whipping, I acted good because that’s how I was supposed to act. None of them could compare to the 6’5” 250lb man that raised me. The only thing I ever got in trouble for at school was fighting and I never got a punishment for that at home.

I also think the school system is emasculating young men these days. Boys aren’t made to sit in a desk for hours, be monitored at lunch and then get a few minutes to run around with masks on and social distance after they get through eating every day. My youngest got involved in a fight last week because three kids spit in his smaller friends face and started pushing him around. My son was sticking up for his buddy and had to miss lunch and get another days lunch detention.

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: scalebuster] #8016173 10/19/20 11:20 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by scalebuster
I think kids are different. They aren’t as mentally mature as they should be at pre teen years. I think that’s because of the hovering mothers and video games. I think the games mess with their brain. I’m speaking from personal experience. My boys are young and I limit their time to 30 minutes a day on video games after chores and homework. When they go to their grandparents for a weekend they are unmonitored on games. I can tell a difference. Discipline is not a problem at either house. I don’t put up with any bullsht and I know my old man doesn’t.

I also disagree with the post that it’s because of no spankings in school. I had spankings in school rarely and had some coaches that could hit pretty good but nothing like my old man. I wasn’t scared of a whipping, I acted good because that’s how I was supposed to act. None of them could compare to the 6’5” 250lb man that raised me. The only thing I ever got in trouble for at school was fighting and I never got a punishment for that at home.

I also think the school system is emasculating young men these days. Boys aren’t made to sit in a desk for hours, be monitored at lunch and then get a few minutes to run around with masks on and social distance after they get through eating every day. My youngest got involved in a fight last week because three kids spit in his smaller friends face and started pushing him around. My son was sticking up for his buddy and had to miss lunch and get another days lunch detention.

You're son did a good thing. Define "miss lunch", 'cause if they said your son couldn't eat, I'm comin' up there.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: Creekrunner] #8016188 10/19/20 11:32 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

You're son did a good thing. Define "miss lunch", 'cause if they said your son couldn't eat, I'm comin' up there.

No grub for GW that day, but I don’t think the teachers knew because he didn’t say anything. That pissed me off but it did t seem to bother him too much. I let it go this time. The instigators got in much worse trouble. I know him and he’ll start a fight with his older brother for little reason at all with no chance of winning. He can handle himself and said he wanted to let it go. I’m just glad he was in the right.

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8016194 10/19/20 11:37 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Don't know you from Adam, but if half the stuff you post on here is true, I'd say that apple didn't fall from the tree. up

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8016232 10/20/20 12:18 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Kids are changing because parents are changing. Parents are changing because the society is changing.

All by design of the evil one.

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: Creekrunner] #8016255 10/20/20 12:37 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
'Don't know you from Adam, but if half the stuff you post on here is true, I'd say that apple didn't fall from the tree. up

My best friend has a ranch in west Tx. His son just graduated. His son and his buddies have grown up deer hunting with us. We started letting them drink cold beer around the fire with us last year. We have stories for days. They do too. I know we influenced a lot of stupid sht they did, but all turned out OK and some are playing college football. One thing they taught us is you don’t have to go to bars anymore for women. All you need is a Snapchat account. Wherever they go they can hook up on Snapchat. They’ve even tried to drag up Snapchat chics to the ranch but we don’t go for that.

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: ducknbass] #8016276 10/20/20 12:51 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Kids are changing because parents are changing. Parents are changing because the society is changing.

All by design of the evil one.

It's all going to happen sooner or later.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8016462 10/20/20 04:04 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Parenting and children have always been changing.

To be determined
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: scalebuster] #8016600 10/20/20 11:56 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

No grub for GW that day, but I don’t think the teachers knew because he didn’t say anything. That pissed me off but it did t seem to bother him too much. I let it go this time. The instigators got in much worse trouble. I know him and he’ll start a fight with his older brother for little reason at all with no chance of winning. He can handle himself and said he wanted to let it go. I’m just glad he was in the right.

Sometimes there is a price to pay for doing the right thing. Character right there. up

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: mikei] #8016633 10/20/20 12:43 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Maybe parents should spend less time on social media and THF and more time with their kids. If you have Twitter and FB and are constantly updating the world on your activities (oh, you are having steak for dinner, good for you) not only is that a waste of time but it's just sad.

Re: Are kids really changing? [Re: Choctaw] #8016824 10/20/20 03:37 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We live in an ever changing world, parents and kids change with it.

When I was a kid, it was hard knocks compared to my kids life. My parents said the same thing to me when I was a kid, how easy I had it compared to them. My kids have less responsibilities then I had when I was a kid, but they also get into a lot less trouble than I use to get into. My son has always been an x-box kid, but you know what, he has never given me a lick of trouble, not once in his life has he ever got into trouble. Not once, it is amazing really.

Maybe if I had x-box as a kid I would not have been on the street making trouble. I just want my kids to stay out of trouble, and do good in school. I tell them that all the time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide