Forums46
Topics537,035
Posts9,719,689
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8013676 10/17/20 06:40 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Impressive. What were the measurements?

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8013731 10/17/20 07:51 PM
T
tailchaser93 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Great buck and story

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8013804 10/17/20 09:18 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Well after our talks on crossbows, then letting me know you got him I can understand the delay on getting this posted. You said in your search for a crossbow up to the task you had a big one you wanted to get, Congrats on closing the deal. At least you didn't make us wait but one day for the results and completion of the tale.

Did the bolt cut an exit hole or was the blood trail just from the entry wound? Exits help have more blood especially from a down hill angle where the entrance will be higher than the exit. Looks like a big bodied buck which they cn be in that part of the country.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: kmon11] #8013836 10/17/20 10:05 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by kmon1
Well after our talks on crossbows, then letting me know you got him I can understand the delay on getting this posted. You said in your search for a crossbow up to the task you had a big one you wanted to get, Congrats on closing the deal. At least you didn't make us wait but one day for the results and completion of the tale.

Did the bolt cut an exit hole or was the blood trail just from the entry wound? Exits help have more blood especially from a down hill angle where the entrance will be higher than the exit. Looks like a big bodied buck which they cn be in that part of the country.

Kmon1 really helped me with research and prepping for xbow hunting. The pics should show the entrance and I’m pointing to where it would of exit but it didn’t quite break skin on exit. If you look at pics from stand of the does it’s really not that steep of an angle. That entrance may look too far back but he was a hard quartering away and based on exit it pretty much dissected his vitals just right(tell me if im wrong.)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by freerange; 10/17/20 10:08 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8013938 10/17/20 11:13 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If your finger is on the exit (or where it would have exited) then your angle was correct. I always like to think of archery shots based on the exit. With gun shots you don’t have to think that way usually. But shoot for the exit, and that’s what you did.

In your recollection, did the buck jump the strings at all or did you just catch him unaware and hit before he could react? My experience with xbow is the animal rarely if ever jumps the strings. Of course the way I like to hunt I don’t like to let them know I am there at all. So they are pretty u aware for the most part.

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8013984 10/18/20 12:08 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Exit looks ok, what did the lungs look like I do not think you caught much of the right lung with that entrance and where pointing to for the exit. I know to shoot low in case they drop down to run off, but the lungs extend further back a little higher up and it does make a difference if the lungs are full of air or not but that is most of the time impossible to tell and time.

Bottom line is you got him, congrats.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: kmon11] #8014135 10/18/20 01:48 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Someone ask if it was free range and yes definitely. Low fence and no protein.
Some one ask about the stand and I will try to get a picture and description.
As for ducking the string, I felt the thump of the shot and saw him hunch then go, so I don’t think he had time to react till it hit him. That’s why I want a fast bow and short distance.
Kmon, as for catching the right lung, I know what you mean and I’m not sure. Before I bow hunt again I’ll study anatomy more. With a rifle you don’t have to be a biology major to know how to kill one but lots about bowhunting is different.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8014138 10/18/20 01:51 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Congrats freerange. Heck of a deer! I read enough to understand the plot but skipped ahead to see how the story ended. FWIW I do like your taste in music.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: Smokey Bear] #8014167 10/18/20 02:15 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Congrats freerange. Heck of a deer! I read enough to understand the plot but skipped ahead to see how the story ended. FWIW I do like your taste in music.

Smokey, thanks. Some day when the forest is growing without your help, go back and read it all. I picked the music and movies cause they fit what was going on in my mind during that time, but I really did like all of them except I never heard of "Wait" by The Beetles or the Neil Young Needle and Damage thing. First Time Ever I Saw His Face was the first one that came to my mind and gave me the idea but I always thought it was the main song from To Sir With Love. They have very similar melodies. I love El Paso and Big John and barely figured out a way to get those in. I wanted to get Bob Seger and/or Bob Dylan in along with Forest Gump and Giant but just couldnt come up with anything.

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8014343 10/18/20 09:49 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Good things often happen to good people. Now that you've had these six seconds, what you gonna do with the rest of the season?

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8014351 10/18/20 10:49 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
cheers

texas flag

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: Hudbone] #8014539 10/18/20 02:49 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Good things often happen to good people. Now that you've had these six seconds, what you gonna do with the rest of the season?

Hud, good questions often get asked by good people. Six seconds is long enough to last me a very long time. Prior to this I last killed a deer in 2012 and 2008 before that(not that I didnt have many many chances.) The other guys are always ready to pull the trigger on Mgmt bucks and does so I literally only pull the trigger every few years. Im not sure how this new place will change my standards but I certainly wont kill another buck THIS season. This place never was leased till they let me hunt it last year and then I added more country so we are still setting up for rifle season. This guy on camera and the chance of him changing pattern as well as getting broken up pushed me to try to get him during archery. That got me out of work mode and into hunt mode so we are behind getting all rifle stands up. Also, my Mom turned 103 yesterday and still lives at home and took a turn for the worse the other day so three of us are giving her 24/7 care. So, since you asked, my next many seconds will be caring for Mom and finish getting ready for rifle season. Eventually, if the smoke ever clears, I will practice my crossbow on a few does and hogs(Ill leave Mgmt bucks for the others). I have a second lease(had a long time) that Ive been treating like a step child since I found this one so Ill try to sneak out there to the campfire.
If you havent noticed, when you ask me a question, you rarely get a six second answer.

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: scalebuster] #8014548 10/18/20 02:57 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by scalebuster
That’s a lot of writing. I’m impressed if that a free range buck. Let’s see the pictures.

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8014552 10/18/20 02:58 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by freerange
AGONY OR ECSTASY???:::::
“The handsome young(old) stranger lay dead on the floor.” (El Paso by Marty Robbins.)
I scanned just beyond the field in the tall thick grass once more and there it was!!! Unmistakable antlers sticking up out of the tall grass. His LG2,3,4 all about 9” were sticking up. He wasn’t moving and I was about 35 yards away so I got my crossbow ready and approached him. He was DEAD ON THE GROUND.
“What a feeling.” (Song from Flashdance by Irene Cara.)
I don’t have to describe my feelings at that point cause if you don’t know the feeling then you stopped reading a long time ago. I let all the negative concerns of defeat flow out of me to make room for the satisfying feeling of a long and hard fought victory. A victory 55 hunting years in the making.
“He stood six-foot-six and weighed two-forty-five, Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip.” (Big John by Jimmy Dean.)
Ground shrink? The tale of the tape? Did he measure up? Some don’t care about BC score but I always have. Im a goal oriented person and it just gives me something to shoot for. Im sure I will talk about this buck for years to come and the score just gives whoever is listening some sense of what the buck looks like. We officially measured him at 181 2/8s. 19 points can be character enough but his character went beyond that. He was the last buck on camera to shed his velvet and it still hung on in two places. Very dark horned and good mass. He was also kind of bladed along one beam and had some webbing or flattening out.

I actually prefer a more Typical rack with a large frame and he wasn’t that, but there’s always next year……

[Linked Image]

Beautiful

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8014637 10/18/20 04:25 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Congrats.......up

Would of like to of seen some profile pics.....the pic you posted doesn't really show the score........

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8014686 10/18/20 05:08 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Congrats.......up

Would of like to of seen some profile pics.....the pic you posted doesn't really show the score........

Pitch, I have tried real hard for years to perfect a dead deer pic so that it shows his rack the best. If I failed on this one it wasnt for lack of effort and experience. I did do the whole photo set up and shoot by myself but no excuse there. I feel like the head on I picked shows all his points the best. Im always aware to get their nose down as needed so that the tines that "lay back" will be straight up and down to show proper length. I NEVER push a deer out front or have the hunter set way back which makes the bucks look unrealistically larger. The profile hides too much but if I had help for the pic I would of shown both profiles also. The live pics I included shows a real good profile and the other one helps show some of the point lengths. The NT point coming off inside of beam is 7" and the one you cant ever see off the Lg1 is 4". Stuff like that adds up quick, and like I have said hes not huge framed(20" beams), just alot of points. I plan to post the scoresheet for those like you that may be interested.

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8014724 10/18/20 05:50 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Congrats.......up

Pitch, I have tried real hard for years to perfect a dead deer pic so that it shows his rack the best. If I failed on this one it wasnt for lack of effort and experience. I did do the whole photo set up and shoot by myself but no excuse there. I feel like the head on I picked shows all his points the best. Im always aware to get their nose down as needed so that the tines that "lay back" will be straight up and down to show proper length. I NEVER push a deer out front or have the hunter set way back which makes the bucks look unrealistically larger. The profile hides too much but if I had help for the pic I would of shown both profiles also. The live pics I included shows a real good profile and the other one helps show some of the point lengths. The NT point coming off inside of beam is 7" and the one you cant ever see off the Lg1 is 4". Stuff like that adds up quick, and like I have said hes not huge framed(20" beams), just alot of points. I plan to post the scoresheet for those like you that may be interested.

Not questioning the score, just wanted to see more close ups of the deer without the velvet showing all those points....especially after that long read you owe us more pics of the deer, lol.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8014836 10/18/20 07:41 PM
S
sbushee Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Good one.

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8014843 10/18/20 07:46 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Pitch, I did not think you were questioning the score, I was just trying to explain why I thought my pics showed his rack pretty good. I’ll post the scoresheet an that should help.
[Linked Image]

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8014867 10/18/20 08:12 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
You asked for profile pics and this is about all I got. I’m struggling by myself trying to get him on that rock for a photo shoot. Beautiful backdrop but camera facing due South so sun was horrible and a rookie cameraman like me wasted time setting up and had to scratch. Finding a photo spot and waiting for help that never came took me several days for the photo(he was in walkin). [Linked Image]

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8015169 10/19/20 12:57 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Awesome buck, and yes I read it all. Forrest

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: Drahthaar] #8015246 10/19/20 01:43 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Drahthaar

Same cheers Slightly miffed the first night but it turned out to be an awesome read.

[Linked Image]
Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: Bee'z] #8015265 10/19/20 01:57 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by 2Beez

Same cheers Slightly miffed the first night but it turned out to be an awesome read.

2beez, I figured the cliffhanger would bother some and i knew the long read would keep many away. I felt it would be worth it for those that hung in there. Thanks for your comment.

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8015316 10/19/20 03:02 AM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Fights were pretty much normal at Big G's in the early 70's

Re: SIX SECONDS-My short time with the Buck of my Lifetime [Re: freerange] #8015327 10/19/20 03:10 AM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 2Beez

2beez, I figured the cliffhanger would bother some and i knew the long read would keep many away. I felt it would be worth it for those that hung in there. Thanks for your comment.

I skimmed it first, then returned for a full read, and am glad I did. Amazing amount of details & description in your story. I understand the anxiety after the shot up until the recovery and know the first 30 seems like an eternity.
Congrats - your excitement is contagious.

p.s. Hope you enter him in the big game awards program.

Last edited by Dodge_Rock; 10/19/20 03:13 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide