texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
jmtaylor911, mercy, LDT, Cat Killer, Els16
67257 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 104,045
bill oxner 73,158
stxranchman 56,467
SnakeWrangler 53,545
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,451
BMD 41,091
Gravytrain 39,493
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics435,526
Posts6,550,282
Members67,257
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tire recommendations #8009828 10/14/20 05:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
EasyMoney Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
I’m running a 2018 ram 2500 Cummins and I’ve just bout wore out the toyo at 2 I have bout 45k miles on em. I’m looking for more of a mud tire but still would like to see some mileage out of them. I rotate them every 5k miles like clock work.

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8009838 10/14/20 05:46 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,243
BOBO the Clown Online Content
decoy
Online Content
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,243
Originally Posted by EasyMoney
I’m running a 2018 ram 2500 Cummins and I’ve just bout wore out the toyo at 2 I have bout 45k miles on em. I’m looking for more of a mud tire but still would like to see some mileage out of them. I rotate them every 5k miles like clock work.


That's weird I get 60plus on my f250. I get 50k out of RT’s.

Only other tire I currently have experience with is the a BFG k3 mud. But only have 1k on one tire(all they had in 35” in southern CO). It's louder then the RT’s


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8009865 10/14/20 06:01 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,092
R
Rustler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,092
Cooper ST max, or SST Pro
Toyo open country M/T, or AT III
Mastercraft CXT, or MXT
Goodyear duratrac

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8009906 10/14/20 06:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 953
J
jackcountyhunter Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 953
Nitto Ridge grappler.

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8009932 10/14/20 06:39 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 807
F
Fltmedic Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
F
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 807
Second Cooper ST Maxx, they’ve been good on my F250. Had to replace two recently because my front end was trashed but other than that they’ve been good.


Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8009970 10/14/20 07:03 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,145
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,145
BFG Mud Terrain. Loud. Excellent tire with good wear and the best traction I’ve found. Like I said they got loud after 30k or so but I’m bad about rotating.

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8010108 10/14/20 08:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
EasyMoney Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
My work got shut down for 3 months for covid so I was doing hot shots daily hauling heavy so knew they were going to go kinda quick when I started doing that. I’ve been looking at the coopers just not many people run them that I know except on farm trucks so don’t know how they handled the pavement. At3 has been pushed by my local tire guy but once again haven’t found much info on them on the longevity. He throw out the Nitto trail grapplers which I had on a half ton but they sure do seem soft to last long.

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8010236 10/14/20 09:45 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,092
R
Rustler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,092
You said you were looking for " more of a mud tire."
More of a mud tire than a Toyo AT2?
If you've had luck with Toyo, their AT III (3) has a more aggressive tread, similar to Cooper ST maxx, or Mastercraft CXT, or GoodYear Duratrac.

Cooper AT3 are non aggressive tread pattern all terrain tires.
Nitto Trail grapplers are a semi aggressive mud terrain tire.
= Comparing apples & oranges.


Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8010420 10/15/20 12:03 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
EasyMoney Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
Yes I want more of a mud type tire this time around. I was not impressed with the at2 in the mud even going in thinking they weren’t going to be all that good

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8010444 10/15/20 12:30 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,243
BOBO the Clown Online Content
decoy
Online Content
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 48,243
Originally Posted by EasyMoney
My work got shut down for 3 months for covid so I was doing hot shots daily hauling heavy so knew they were going to go kinda quick when I started doing that. I’ve been looking at the coopers just not many people run them that I know except on farm trucks so don’t know how they handled the pavement. At3 has been pushed by my local tire guy but once again haven’t found much info on them on the longevity. He throw out the Nitto trail grapplers which I had on a half ton but they sure do seem soft to last long.



Ahhh gotcha, I cant recommend AT3 yet, I haven’t used them, but as soon as my wife’ms burb BFG are done think I’m going to switch to those or RT’s like I run my f250.

I don’t think you can go wrong with cooper or Toyo, and my previous experience with nitto was same real soft and wore quick


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Tire recommendations [Re: jackcountyhunter] #8010512 10/15/20 01:27 AM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 303
F
FWFish Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by jackcountyhunter
Nitto Ridge grappler.

This

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8010976 10/15/20 01:56 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,705
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,705
My F-250 eats tires like crazy..but i drive off pavement alot, also pull a few trailers every now and then

Rotate every 5k, tire wear is even but its fast.

two days ago i went and got a set of Yokohama Geolander M/T's, 37x12.50's for $1264.....hell of a deal. Also they are VERY quiet.....much quieter than my Toyo M/T's and A/T's


Look into the Yoko Geolanders at Discount tire.


I've had just about every type of All Terrain tire you can imagine.....in a 3/4 ton diesel platform they are a shade better than regular street tread. The different between a Mud Terrain and a A/T is night and day. I've had Toyo, Cooper and now Yokohama Mud Terrains and the traction difference is incredible, esp. in loose dirt and rock


For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8011271 10/15/20 05:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 102
P
Panhandler Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
P
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 102
My buddy runs Hankook Dynapro MT on his F250. They're a little loud, but have seemed to handle the far West Texas terrain just fine

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8011322 10/15/20 06:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 153
Ol Thumper Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 153
Nitto Ridge Grapper all the way.. Best all around tire for mud and highway with great mileage. I was a Toyo guy but after lots of sets getting horrible mileage I switched the NRG on our trucks and I’ve been pleasantly surprised of the better mileage over Toyo’s.

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8011335 10/15/20 06:42 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,315
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,315
Take a look at the Cooper ST MAXX. They are more aggressive than an A/T, but not a full mud tire. I have a set on my F250, and when my F350 is ready, it will have a set of the same.


Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8011534 10/15/20 09:11 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,851
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
Z
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,851
2011 long bed 2500 cummins here. I've had 2 sets of 35" toyo MTs and currently on the second set of Toyo RT. Absolutely loved the performance of the MTs but they were loud and got right at 40-45k miles out of each set. First set of RT (same size) i got 60k miles and currently have right at 40k miles on this second set of RT. Good on-road manners including wet pavement, fairly quiet, pretty decent offroad traction but likes to be spun a little faster in the mud than the MTs I've had previously.

A buddy of mine has a 2020 mega cab with some 35" Ridge Grapplers and said they are slicker than snot on a doorknob on the wet pavement.

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: ZK-315] #8011793 10/16/20 12:32 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,057
J
Judd Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,057
Originally Posted by ZK-315
A buddy of mine has a 2020 mega cab with some 35" Ridge Grapplers and said they are slicker than snot on a doorknob on the wet pavement.


Mine were downright scary on wet roads, biggest POS tire I’ve ever bought.


Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Tire recommendations [Re: Big_Country01] #8011885 10/16/20 01:30 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,671
S
Stump_jumper Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,671
Originally Posted by Big_Country01
Take a look at the Cooper ST MAXX. They are more aggressive than an A/T, but not a full mud tire. I have a set on my F250, and when my F350 is ready, it will have a set of the same.

I ran a set on my Tacoma for 30k before I sold it. Probably the best AT in mud except maybe Duratracs which are not known for durability. Weak sidewalls mainly. When the KO2s (which suck in mud) on my Tundra wear out it will be ST Maxx or the Goodyear ATs at Discount. If you want a real mud tire and don't mind road noise look at the Goodyear MTRs. Discount mounted them on a Tacoma I had instead of Duratracs. They are one tough but loud tire. I ran them for a month and abused the carp out of the on deer lease.


2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Tire recommendations [Re: FWFish] #8012403 10/16/20 02:57 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,598
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,598
Originally Posted by FWFish
Originally Posted by jackcountyhunter
Nitto Ridge grappler.

This


Absolute trash tire on a Cummins. I’ve had them for a year now and just over 30,000 miles and I can’t make myself like them. They wore down quick, but have somewhat slowed down on tread wear, terrible wet weather traction on pavement, need rotation and balance every 3,000 miles, and they make this god awful whistle sound on the highway.

Now if you drive a lot in sand, like really soft sugar sand, they actually perform really well in that stuff.

They also seem to hold up decent to running over young mesquite trees, which is my biggest concern and why I have always ran BFG AT/KO. I’ll be looking for new tires next spring, will probably end up back with the BFG


Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
"The Bigley Group"
Premier Legacy Real Estate, LLC.
www.PremierLegacyRealEstate.com
WDews@premierlegacyrealestate.com
214-356-2410

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: BigPig] #8012673 10/16/20 06:17 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,705
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,705
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by FWFish
Originally Posted by jackcountyhunter
Nitto Ridge grappler.

This


Absolute trash tire on a Cummins. I’ve had them for a year now and just over 30,000 miles and I can’t make myself like them. They wore down quick, but have somewhat slowed down on tread wear, terrible wet weather traction on pavement, need rotation and balance every 3,000 miles, and they make this god awful whistle sound on the highway.

Now if you drive a lot in sand, like really soft sugar sand, they actually perform really well in that stuff.

They also seem to hold up decent to running over young mesquite trees, which is my biggest concern and why I have always ran BFG AT/KO. I’ll be looking for new tires next spring, will probably end up back with the BFG



My F-250 went thru them in 30k miles. They also sucked off road, even in dirt


For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8012758 10/16/20 07:50 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 746
K
Kevin_M Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
K
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 746
I, as well as several other people I know run Milestar Patagonia MT's. Love them, pretty aggressive tread and surprisingly quiet. These tires are pretty sticky too. They are super popular in the Jeep community but are gaining more and more popularity with the truck guys.

[Linked Image]

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: Kevin_M] #8013488 10/17/20 03:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,598
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,598
Originally Posted by Kevin_M
I, as well as several other people I know run Milestar Patagonia MT's. Love them, pretty aggressive tread and surprisingly quiet. These tires are pretty sticky too. They are super popular in the Jeep community but are gaining more and more popularity with the truck guys.

[Linked Image]


Super stick translates to super soft tread which translates to short life on the road. But they do look good


Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
"The Bigley Group"
Premier Legacy Real Estate, LLC.
www.PremierLegacyRealEstate.com
WDews@premierlegacyrealestate.com
214-356-2410

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8014130 10/18/20 01:45 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,682
J
JeremyKS Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,682
Copper ST Maxx or the cheaper tire similar to that is the Hercules T/G Maxx, they are made by Cooper is what I was told.

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8014753 10/18/20 06:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
EasyMoney Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
I ran into a family friend this weekend and I’m sold on the toyo MT. He runs them on his personal truck and there service trucks and he claims the single wheels diesels are getting 45-50k and his dually trucks getting bout 40k. If anyone is interested I’ll do a follow up post later if I think bout it and keep track of mileage

Re: Tire recommendations [Re: EasyMoney] #8015749 10/19/20 04:53 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,851
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
Z
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,851
Originally Posted by EasyMoney
I ran into a family friend this weekend and I’m sold on the toyo MT. He runs them on his personal truck and there service trucks and he claims the single wheels diesels are getting 45-50k and his dually trucks getting bout 40k. If anyone is interested I’ll do a follow up post later if I think bout it and keep track of mileage

Excellent tire. I got 40-45k out of mine on my single wheel cummins. The ONLY thing i did like about them was how loud they sing to you on pavement. Never had to patch any of mine and they held up to some abuse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3