Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Icing down venison [Re: Thisisbeer] #8011658 10/15/20 10:46 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Of course the processor is putting them in a cooler lol.

I was referring to that vs. putting the bare quarters in a cooler on ice for several days to "bleed out the deer meat".

I think the most important thing is to get the carcass/meat cooled down asap, instead of cooling it down and "bleeding it out" until the meat is almost white. IME they taste the same.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Icing down venison [Re: 7mag] #8011681 10/15/20 11:02 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I pack in ice not to bleed anything out, but to age it for tenderization. Same thing happens over a prolonged period packed in ice vs hanging to age in a cooler. I especially like to do this with old buck deer and big boar hogs.

Re: Icing down venison [Re: Thisisbeer] #8011858 10/16/20 01:19 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Originally Posted by maximum
I guess I've been doing it wrong.

I skin and take off the quarters and
straps and neck and put everything in
2 gallon ziplocks and on ice ASAP
until I get it home and in the freezer

If I want it bled for whatever reason,
I'll shoot it with a bow instead of a
gun and let the deer pump the blood
out. Way faster than soaking the meat

Contrary to what most people say, I don't think it has anything to do with bleeding. I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that enzymes break down and tenderize the meat while it ages. There shouldn't be a ton of blood in the meat to begin with. The color your seeing is from a protein called myoglobin and water. Myoglobin gives meat its red color. Allowing the meat to go through rigor mortis while still on the bone is supposed to help tenderize the meat. I try to keep water off of the meat, but I ice it down for a few days minimum.

I understand.
I was just sorta being a little bit of a facetious butt head.
I used to get aggravated somewhat back when the
all the " hunting " videos started getting popular, and
the people making them started making deer hunting
and everything associated with it way more complicated than it really is.
Now I'm able to laugh at the notion of some of it.

Re: Icing down venison [Re: 7mag] #8012127 10/16/20 11:49 AM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I like to hang them in a cooler and let those mussels stretch out.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Icing down venison [Re: LeonCarr] #8012307 10/16/20 02:12 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
Of course the processor is putting them in a cooler lol.

I was referring to that vs. putting the bare quarters in a cooler on ice for several days to "bleed out the deer meat".

I think the most important thing is to get the carcass/meat cooled down asap, instead of cooling it down and "bleeding it out" until the meat is almost white. IME they taste the same.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

No I understand. I was just pointing out they probably taste the same because your essentially doing the same thing. Just without water. In my earlier post I mentioned it's not blood in the meat, but a protein called myoglobin. It gives the meat it's color, but not it's flavor. The big quality factor is the time it spends aging on the bone. Get them cooled down quick a give them time before you debone and freeze.

Re: Icing down venison [Re: Thisisbeer] #8013530 10/17/20 03:45 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Oh man has this been talked to death from culinary forums to sausage making forums. Its all personal opinion to me. I've "wet aged" my deer in a cooler, on the bone (primal quarters), in an ice bath for the better part of 30 years now. Every single deer I kill, period. If the animal was taken in a non peak breeding period (like early winter axis), I age them for 3-4 days. If its a rut period for any animal I'm going to age them on ice, exchanging the water and ice daily, for at least 5 days. It simply takes the rut stank out of them.

If its any of the livery animals like elk, fallow, or moose I'll age them for 5-7 days.

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

No I understand. I was just pointing out they probably taste the same because your essentially doing the same thing. Just without water. In my earlier post I mentioned it's not blood in the meat, but a protein called myoglobin. It gives the meat it's color, but not it's flavor. The big quality factor is the time it spends aging on the bone. Get them cooled down quick a give them time before you debone and freeze.

^^^^^ THIS, however I know blood is associated with the wet age/ice draining as well, but the ratio of myoglobin to red blood is a mystery

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide