Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,716
Posts9,728,106
Members87,036
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... #8007293 10/12/20 06:34 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Knife point is on entry point of first shot

Second shot is just below and in front of the right eye

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hog was on the run at the time of the first shot, which when received she went down hard.

I went to the truck to get gear ready for recovery and about a minute later I scan and see a hog moving out so I take a shot while it’s sauntering away - down right there.

As I looked and looked and looked for the first hog and couldn’t find it - I went to the second shot hog and discovered it was actually the first hog.

I figure she lay stunned on the ground for a minute and then got up and had the wherewithal to continue in her pursuit of evading me.

Both shots inside of 100 yards with a 30 cal 125 grain bullet flying at 2875 FPS....

Yeah hogs are tough and it just goes to show , if you don’t hit spine or central nervous system you’re most likely going to be tracking a wounded animal ...

Again this was on a runner so not trying to say that the shot placement was at fault .

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 10/12/20 06:40 PM.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8007297 10/12/20 06:39 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Dang, tough one for sure...

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8007302 10/12/20 06:44 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Looks like the first shot hit muscle behind the head. Nothing vital there, but ended up with a nasty flesh wound. Might have survived if you hadn't finished it off.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8007309 10/12/20 06:50 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
No doubt they are tuff, but so are most wild critters. Make the same shots on a deer and you will get the same result.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8007344 10/12/20 07:28 PM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I want to fall down looking at it lol, wild critters are some tough suckers.

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8007362 10/12/20 07:49 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Looks like the first shot hit muscle behind the head. Nothing vital there, but ended up with a nasty flesh wound. Might have survived if you hadn't finished it off.

Yeah, you definitely gave it a headache, but it still might have survived. I've definitely had some go down, stay down for a while, then get up and go.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: redchevy] #8007379 10/12/20 08:01 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by redchevy
No doubt they are tuff, but so are most wild critters. Make the same shots on a deer and you will get the same result.

I hear what you’re saying - you got me to thinking on this...

This hog was about 75 lbs - so I’d say she was less than a year old

From a skeletal and muscular development standpoint it is absolutely astonishing the punishment hogs can take from a very young age.

We obviously can’t (legally) compare the same with deer or other wild critters but I’d have to speculate that deer (being designed differently) wouldn’t handle the same type of shot at more juvenile ages.

Sure we’ve known big body deer to be resilient and tough as well as larger species of deer and exotics but - hogs .... I say they’re in a class of their own ...

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8007489 10/12/20 09:32 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
people can tolerate such mild "flesh wounds" as well. Thats not to say a human won't eventually die, but I have seen a guy who attempted suicide and went a little too far forward on the temple. Took out his whole fore face including both eyes and nose, but didn't kill himself. He was plenty alive. Have seen plenty of other gun shot wounds that hit very close to vital organs, including one who got hit by a sniper with a bullet lodged at the bifurcation of the carotid artery, and the sniper saw he was not dead so he went down and picked the guy up to bring him in, the whole while the bad dude was swearing and giving the sniper the middle finger. Botht hose stories are from Iraq.

Hit CNS and its over. Hit flesh, and well, things can live, at least temporarily. I had a hog that I hit this weekend, took several shots, was rolling in the dirt, and still managed to get up and wander off. After hitting it 3-4 times I stopped wasting ammo on it since I knew it wasn't going to be coming around anytime soon.

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8011950 10/16/20 02:37 AM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Yup. Shot a 125 pound sow a few years ago with a 300 grain 12 gauge slug. Absolutely destroyed the heart and part of the lungs. Crazy thing still ran almost 100 yards. My shot was right at 35 yards.

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Adchunts] #8012429 10/16/20 03:15 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Adchunts
Yup. Shot a 125 pound sow a few years ago with a 300 grain 12 gauge slug. Absolutely destroyed the heart and part of the lungs. Crazy thing still ran almost 100 yards. My shot was right at 35 yards.

Yes, even with a heart shot there's still enough oxygen in the brain for roughly 15 seconds of activity. I've had hogs run up to 200 yards with a .30 caliber hole through their heart.

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8012565 10/16/20 04:55 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
But they're good with some tenderization stir hammer food

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8012738 10/16/20 07:34 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
up

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Texas buckeye] #8015634 10/19/20 03:26 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I had a hog that I hit this weekend, took several shots, was rolling in the dirt, and still managed to get up and wander off. After hitting it 3-4 times I stopped wasting ammo on it since I knew it wasn't going to be coming around anytime soon.

Yep.

Shot a 235 lb. boar a couple nights ago. Quartering slightly away so I placed the bullet just behind the on-side shoulder so it would exit about the middle (or a little forward) of the off-side shoulder. Shot was good, hog went straight down then immediately got back up and ran 40 yds off into the briars and bramble. Crashed there but I was bit surprised.

160 gr. Federal Trophy Bonded bullet did not exit but performed well enough. 7mm-08

Guess I should have used my .458 SOCOM.

Attached Files Boar101520a.jpgRecovered2.jpgRecovered3.jpgRecovered5.jpg

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: flintknapper] #8015863 10/19/20 06:23 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by flintknapper
[Guess I should have used my .458 SOCOM.

Ah, the .458 SOCOM. When it absolutely, positively, needs to be dead right on the spot. banana

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8017392 10/20/20 11:40 PM
J
J Hills Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
J
I shot this one this morning at 6:15. After I hauled him off I noticed the water edge of my pond was rooted up. Not sure if it was him. I waited all night for a sounder (30+) that tore up my front and back yard 2 nights in a row and only he showed. Guessing he was 120-130# range. His front quarter seemed to still be strong, rear not so much.
His tail was missing. Not sure if it was a bullet or fighting, or something else. He smelled pretty bad. I can't believe his intestines were functioning. I assume the mud was for some relief from the hip damage.
Damage is his left hip area.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8017407 10/20/20 11:49 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Tough critters

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: J Hills] #8017434 10/21/20 12:06 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by J Hills
I shot this one this morning at 6:15. After I hauled him off I noticed the water edge of my pond was rooted up. Not sure if it was him. I waited all night for a sounder (30+) that tore up my front and back yard 2 nights in a row and only he showed. Guessing he was 120-130# range. His front quarter seemed to still be strong, rear not so much.
His tail was missing. Not sure if it was a bullet or fighting, or something else. He smelled pretty bad. I can't believe his intestines were functioning. I assume the mud was for some relief from the hip damage.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

sick sick sick

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8017556 10/21/20 01:32 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I can smell it from here!

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8026196 10/27/20 09:16 PM
BuckMaster Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
This one decided he did not want to die that day. Took 2 follow up shots. I blame my first round shot placement. Did not get the drop I expected. Last shot severed his spine.

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8026243 10/27/20 09:51 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
My aiming point on pigs is high in the neck, directly between the shoulder and head. It will anchor them right there. The next shot placement is directly in the head in the ear hole or between the eyes. Anywhere in the shoulder or behind the shoulder and they will generally run.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: BuckMaster] #8026548 10/28/20 12:36 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by BuckMaster
This one decided he did not want to die that day. Took 2 follow up shots. I blame my first round shot placement. Did not get the drop I expected. Last shot severed his spine.

What a cool video - digital shows the color really well and RED on WHITE is quite neat to see

Re: How tough are hogs ? This photo is a pretty good illustration of their ability to take a licking and keep on ticking ... [Re: Pig_Popper] #8026676 10/28/20 01:24 AM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Originally Posted by J Hills
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

sick sick sick

That looks like road rash! Most likely hit by a car.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide