Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8009342 10/14/20 11:10 AM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Sinkey
If you’re a good shooter, doesn’t matter if your shooting steel or bismuth. Your folding them up either way. I’ve shot steel my whole life. But will be trying BOSS shells this year. Want to see what all the hypes about. I’ve got some buddies that shot the 2 3/4 #5’s last year and swear by them now. So proof will be in the pudding.

Work better in smaller bores, think it’s an expensive wash in 12

This.

Last edited by john paul; 10/14/20 11:11 AM.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: KWood_TSU] #8009390 10/14/20 11:58 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Originally Posted by ducknbass
I stumbled upon what looked like a case of 20 gauge boss hulls laying under a tree last year. Either they shot 30 limits or they still did not know how to finish birds.

Good made up story up

For a hundred dollar bet I'll head up there and take a picture. Let me know.

Why didn't you pick them up to begin with?
I know it's not your trash, but still...

Your mom doesn't work here clean up after yourselves.

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8009417 10/14/20 12:30 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
fwiw, check my posts from previous years about the goodies I've found while hunting dux. Folks lose & forget about stuff when they're hunting, including very expensive shotguns.

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: ducknbass] #8009446 10/14/20 12:55 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
[]

You are right, and I do.
But I always pick up others trash when I come across it. But I also have respect for the land

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8009447 10/14/20 12:57 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
I load my own bizmuth shells, I want to hunt from now on with my O/U Brownings because I shoot them better than the M-2 Benelli. The tubes on the O/U are thin and I don't want to ruin them with steel even though they are rated for steel.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: RayB] #8009467 10/14/20 01:17 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RayB
I load my own bizmuth shells, I want to hunt from now on with my O/U Brownings because I shoot them better than the M-2 Benelli. The tubes on the O/U are thin and I don't want to ruin them with steel even though they are rated for steel.

What’s your cost per shell?? When I’ve looked at loading them I couldn’t ever justify the cost of buying all the reloading equipment and shell components because it was just as cheap to buy them off the shelf.

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: KWood_TSU] #8009483 10/14/20 01:29 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
[]

You are right, and I do.
But I always pick up others trash when I come across it. But I also have respect for the land

take it easy kid, you're talking to a man thats been ducking hunting before duck commander, before it was cool, before waders broke the $200 mark and while you were still swinging on mommas tit.

lets take a deep breath before I lock this thread up

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: KWood_TSU] #8009524 10/14/20 02:02 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
[]

You are right, and I do.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes I do sometimes I don't just depends on my mood. If you only had that much respect for common sense we wouldn't be having this conversation

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: john paul] #8009553 10/14/20 02:23 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
Originally Posted by john paul

What’s your cost per shell?? When I’ve looked at loading them I couldn’t ever justify the cost of buying all the reloading equipment and shell components because it was just as cheap to buy them off the shelf.

Never sat down to figure it due to shooting 16 & 28 ga. and until recently , no biz available in those sizes. Probably not less expensive but on slow days I can load several boxes to kill time.
100 new primed hulls (Fiochi) $13.00 wads 100@ $6 10# bizmuth $165. Goes on sale regularly for $145. Powder $23 a pound if my math is close $1.15 per shell (1 oz. loads for the 16)

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: RayB] #8011699 10/15/20 11:21 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by john paul

Never sat down to figure it due to shooting 16 & 28 ga. and until recently , no biz available in those sizes. Probably not less expensive but on slow days I can load several boxes to kill time.
100 new primed hulls (Fiochi) $13.00 wads 100@ $6 10# bizmuth $165. Goes on sale regularly for $145. Powder $23 a pound if my math is close $1.15 per shell (1 oz. loads for the 16)

I could never get the cost down below $32.00/box of 25 when I did the math.. And you can buy most of the factory loads for around that nowadays, even for 28 gauge.

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: KWood_TSU] #8012583 10/16/20 05:05 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Smokey, boss has actually been proven to be better than lead. It's the copper coating i believe.

Also, for anyone that's curious, here's why boss bismuth is better. It takes #2 or #3 steel to act like boss #5. But now using a smaller shot you get more pellets on target. More pellets equals better killing.

I'm not saying steel won't kill, it does, but it's not nearly as effective.
And you're right, you don't need bismuth, but the facts have been out, if people shot bismuth and not steel it's a large amount of number of birds that go back to the breeding grounds.

Having a good dog helps, but bismuth doesn't cripple like steel. It's usually a clean miss or dead bird. Steel isn't like that.
But anyways, I guess science doesn't apply here

KWood,
first off, I like Bismuth. It it does not take “the best” to cleanly kill ducks and modern steel shot shell work well.

Second, bismuth is not the best, #9 TSS is. Not even close.

Third, Bismuth is not better than lead. Is that statement simply based on something you read? Since you opened the science can of worms: Lead is denser than bismuth. Bismuth is brittle. Tin among other things are mixed with it to mitigate the brittleness. If you have killed many birds with bismuth, you have found black dust in some of the wound channels. Particularly against bone. That is where the shot shattered. Don’t take my word, test it yourself. Open up a bismuth shell and put it on an anvil. Hit it with a hammer and see what happens. Do the same with a piece of copper plated lead shot.

Fourth, if you are experiencing copious crippled ducks with steel shot, you problem is either:
A) using too small of shot
B)not enough velocity
C)shooting too far
D)not shooting a load and choke combo that patterns well
E)can’t shoot
F)combination of more than one of the above

OP-welcome to the sport of waterfowling and good luck. Take internet advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 10/16/20 05:08 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8012608 10/16/20 05:21 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Smokey, I agree that tungsten is the best, but duck hunting with tss isn't even feasible.

It's science boss has done that they get better penetration than lead. They say it's the copper plating that allows for that.

We don't necessarily have a lot of cripples, but birds shot at 30 yards or so that look dead, but are still alive and have to be rang when you get to them. Boss 2.75" #5 is well known for stoning big ducks, divers, and Canadas at 40 yards. You just don't see that with steel unless you get a head shot in.

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8012643 10/16/20 05:51 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
dead_horse

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8012713 10/16/20 06:57 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
So the manufacturer tested their own product and decided it was the best... Never seen that one before.

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8012721 10/16/20 07:01 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
[censored], I just spent $200 on 5lbs of tss

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: KWood_TSU] #8012728 10/16/20 07:17 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Smokey, I agree that tungsten is the best, but duck hunting with tss isn't even feasible.

It's science boss has done that they get better penetration than lead. They say it's the copper plating that allows for that.

We don't necessarily have a lot of cripples, but birds shot at 30 yards or so that look dead, but are still alive and have to be rang when you get to them. Boss 2.75" #5 is well known for stoning big ducks, divers, and Canadas at 40 yards. You just don't see that with steel unless you get a head shot in.

You are barking up the wrong tree KWood. I was hunting waterfowl with lead before non-toxic shot was brought to the market. I also have a fair amount of DIY experience killing big ducks and geese. I have a lot of first hand experience with all the shot I mentioned. In my prior post I was relating first hand experience, rather than advertising. There is nothing new or revolutionary about copper plated shot. Although pretty good, Bismuth is not as dense as lead and does not kill like lead. Comparing copper plated lead to copper plated Bismuth, lead still wins. If you have done much testing yourself, you would recognize the differences. So what happens to bismuth when it hits something hard? Either the forcing cone in the barrel or wing or breast bones? What is that black dust you find in the Bismuth shot birds?

Science: One size bigger Bismuth shot than lead gives similar performance but with less shot count and similar patterns. Lead may deform but does not fragment on impact. Copper plated shot, lead or bismuth patterns tighter.
Two-three times bigger steel shot than lead gives similar performance with still fewer pellet count but patterns much tighter.
Bismuth is not as good as lead but better than steel. Steel is adequate to go out and lean on the ducks and geese, at a fraction of the cost of Bismuth.
This is why I knew better than to engage....

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 10/16/20 07:19 PM.

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8012751 10/16/20 07:49 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
nothing beats #6 lead except maybe #5 lead but I preferred #6

of course I didn't know much about science back then

#sigline
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Smokey Bear] #8012769 10/16/20 08:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

You are barking up the wrong tree KWood. I was hunting waterfowl with lead before non-toxic shot was brought to the market. I also have a fair amount of DIY experience killing big ducks and geese. I have a lot of first hand experience with all the shot I mentioned. In my prior post I was relating first hand experience, rather than advertising. There is nothing new or revolutionary about copper plated shot. Although pretty good, Bismuth is not as dense as lead and does not kill like lead. Comparing copper plated lead to copper plated Bismuth, lead still wins. If you have done much testing yourself, you would recognize the differences. So what happens to bismuth when it hits something hard? Either the forcing cone in the barrel or wing or breast bones? What is that black dust you find in the Bismuth shot birds?

Science: One size bigger Bismuth shot than lead gives similar performance but with less shot count and similar patterns. Lead may deform but does not fragment on impact. Copper plated shot, lead or bismuth patterns tighter.
Two-three times bigger steel shot than lead gives similar performance with still fewer pellet count but patterns much tighter.
Bismuth is not as good as lead but better than steel. Steel is adequate to go out and lean on the ducks and geese, at a fraction of the cost of Bismuth.

I had pretty much same thing written out, but figured he doesn’t care to get it. Let him keep thinking full metal jacket ammo is where it’s at.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8012775 10/16/20 08:13 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I had pretty much same thing written out, but figured he doesn’t care to get it. Let him keep thinking full metal jacket ammo is where it’s at.

cheers

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8012781 10/16/20 08:22 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

With attitudes like yours we'll never see 10 page of coach

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8013006 10/16/20 11:40 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
[Linked Image]

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8013156 10/17/20 01:30 AM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Never mind, think I’ll just stick to dove and deer... roflmao

Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: js4242] #8025070 10/27/20 01:55 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by js4242
Originally Posted by aerangis
Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Telling someone that it trying to get into duck hunting to see if they like it to buy Sitka gear and to shoot bismuth is like telling a new fisherman to go buy a $80K bass boat.

this

Anyone telling a fella wanting to learn how to hunt ducks to go out and buy Sitka and bismuth is an idjit.

This?
Are y'all dense? You're not even comparing apples to apples or even oranges.
I just recommended the best stuff, he can go from there. I thought drake was good, now all that money i spent on drake is wasted bc I'm switching to sitka.
Bismuth is definitely superior to steel. Y'all can try to deny it all you want, but 95% of y'all don't have a clue bc you've never shot it.
I bought gator waders the first go around, lasted 1.5 seasons, extremely disappointed and cost $350. I wish I would of known not to go that route.

Just a thought, but if you would have come here before buying said $350 waders that I've never heard anyone recommending on this site or any other you would only be out $100 bucks for magellans.

Me. I recommended gator waders and still do. This will be my third season with them and I’ve had the exact opposite experience he had with his. They’re the most comfortable waders I’ve ever worn, and they have shell holders, waterproof phone pocket, hand muff, magnetic locking front pocket and I like the elastic straps because they’re easy to get on and off, especially when you’ve got to take a leak.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Nick1] #8025851 10/27/20 05:02 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Wait a minute, hold on. Steel shot doesn't kill ducks? So the hundreds of ducks I have killed in the last 40 + years of waterfowling, I scared to death?

Last edited by Kevin Heath; 10/27/20 05:03 PM.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Duck hunting gear [Re: Kevin Heath] #8026010 10/27/20 06:45 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
Wait a minute, hold on. Steel shot doesn't kill ducks? So the hundreds of ducks I have killed in the last 40 + years of waterfowling, I scared to death?

You have to understand, my bizmuth shot ducks are deader than your steel shot ducks, just like my Benelli shotgun kills ducks deader tham other shotguns. roflmao

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide