Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven #8008971 10/14/20 01:02 AM
K
kcrump88 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
What's the functional difference to the average hunter? Do both operate similarly and offer comparable reliabilities? Is one preferable over the other for different types of hunting? Thanks for y'all's help.

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8008978 10/14/20 01:11 AM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I lean more towards inertia driven personally. I shoot an SBE Benelli. Love the gun and have had no hick ups with it.

Gas guns like my older Beretta 391 seemed to be stingy with some shells. I had to shoot certain brands and sizes to get it to cycle correctly.

Not knocking Beretta at all. I still think they are great guns! But inertia driven guns just seem smoother.

Just my opinion.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8008987 10/14/20 01:16 AM
K
kcrump88 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
Does one generally translate to less felt recoil? Is either generally less forgiving when it comes to getting wet or dirty from being in the woods/marsh/etc?

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8008999 10/14/20 01:26 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Generally speaking gas guns have less recoil.

I shoot gas guns, browning gold hunter, yes there are allegedly newer and better models out there now. I have had little problems with it jamming, cycling or being reliable. Which is why for the past 20 years I've been shooting it.

Take it as a grain of salt, there will be alot of responses that this gun or that gun is the best and yadayadaya. Its no different than the Chevy, Ford, dodge, Toyota agreements. For the most part everyone makes a good gun these days and its all about finding a gun you like and shoots where you look.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8009049 10/14/20 02:16 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I have an inertia and a gas. I like them both but prefer shooting the gas. I duck hunt with the inertia gun because it is camo but it is nice gun too. The gas gun actually cycles lighter rounds better but I can cycle 2-3/4 1 oz. loads fine out of either and that is as small as I plan on going.

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: 2flyfish4] #8009056 10/14/20 02:17 AM
N.Tx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Generally speaking gas guns have less recoil.

I shoot gas guns, browning gold hunter, yes there are allegedly newer and better models out there now. I have had little problems with it jamming, cycling or being reliable. Which is why for the past 20 years I've been shooting it.

Take it as a grain of salt, there will be alot of responses that this gun or that gun is the best and yadayadaya. Its no different than the Chevy, Ford, dodge, Toyota agreements. For the most part everyone makes a good gun these days and its all about finding a gun you like and shoots where you look.

This. Kind of like a putter in golf. They all work, but they work better if they look / feel right.

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8009088 10/14/20 02:31 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I have and shoot both. Gas guns have less felt recoil in my opinion. Not a big difference, but some. I enjoy shooting both. Gas guns are a little harder to clean but not so much so that it would influence my decision to buy one or the other. I will say store bought light load shells burn much dirtier than they used too. Get the gun that fits you. The birds won't know the difference in gas vs inertia.

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: jetdad] #8009182 10/14/20 03:18 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Gas guns are for girls.

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8009426 10/14/20 12:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I’m a gas gun guy, gas seems to keep muzzle jump down more compared to inertia, with that said they are all good but all will wear out.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: 2flyfish4] #8009440 10/14/20 12:50 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
I can quantify the differences between gas vs inertia in one word; reliability & simplicity (ok, two words smile

a. Kansas hunt, we drove up knowing that there was a possibility of getting hit with a winter storm. Second day we were there we got hit and woke up to two feet of fresh snow. Everyone with gas guns were stuck with single shots because their shotguns wouldn't cycle. The only shotguns that worked were the two inertia shotguns. Temps were single digit, wind chill below zero with 30 mph gusts and snow blowing sideways with visibility about a hundred yards.

b. Alaska hunt for eiders, the guide suggested inertia shotguns which unfortunately a couple the guys didn't have. Cold, wet snow/sleet, wind and we were a hundred yards offshore in a low-freeboard skiff. The only shotguns that worked past the first 15 minutes or so were inertia driven. The gas guns went tits up from sleet and cold, the second they got wet and icy they were done. The Super Vinci's worked like a champ.

fwiw, the guts from my Super Vinci can fit on the palm of my hand. It's mind blowingly simple and doesm't get fouled from mud or debris. The whole shotgun takes seconds to field strip and breaks down into three pieces.

Ask yourself, how many gas operated vs recoil (inertia) operated semi-auto pistols do you see on the market? Not a damn one that I'm aware of.

Last edited by aerangis; 10/14/20 01:37 PM.
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8009462 10/14/20 01:14 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
fwiw, the most popular auto shotgun in history is..... recoil operated. The venerable Browning A5.

Grandpappy knew better than to use a gas shotgun smile

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8009540 10/14/20 02:13 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
John Browning had 128 firearm related patents and considered the Browning Auto-5 his greatest achievement.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8009559 10/14/20 02:35 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I prefer gas guns because it happens that the guns that handle better for me are gas. I’ve never had a failure on any of them, albeit I’ve never hunted Alaska in the conditions mentioned above but have hunted snowy and icy conditions with single digit temps, and I don’t baby my equipment. Both systems are reliable and disassembly, reassembly and cleaning isn’t rocket science on gas or inertia guns. Inertia or gas shouldn’t be the deciding factor in which gun you buy.

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: LeonCarr] #8009567 10/14/20 02:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
John Browning had 128 firearm related patents and considered the Browning Auto-5 his greatest achievement.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

And isn’t even remotely close to the Benelli inertia system.

Different beasts all together, now the Fake A5 is a different story

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: aerangis] #8009574 10/14/20 02:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by aerangis
I can quantify the differences between gas vs inertia in one word; reliability & simplicity (ok, two words smile

a. Kansas hunt, we drove up knowing that there was a possibility of getting hit with a winter storm. Second day we were there we got hit and woke up to two feet of fresh snow. Everyone with gas guns were stuck with single shots because their shotguns wouldn't cycle. The only shotguns that worked were the two inertia shotguns. Temps were single digit, wind chill below zero with 30 mph gusts and snow blowing sideways with visibility about a hundred yards.

b. Alaska hunt for eiders, the guide suggested inertia shotguns which unfortunately a couple the guys didn't have. Cold, wet snow/sleet, wind and we were a hundred yards offshore in a low-freeboard skiff. The only shotguns that worked past the first 15 minutes or so were inertia driven. The gas guns went tits up from sleet and cold, the second they got wet and icy they were done. The Super Vinci's worked like a champ.

fwiw, the guts from my Super Vinci can fit on the palm of my hand. It's mind blowingly simple and doesm't get fouled from mud or debris. The whole shotgun takes seconds to field strip and breaks down into three pieces.

Ask yourself, how many gas operated vs recoil (inertia) operated semi-auto pistols do you see on the market? Not a damn one that I'm aware of.

I have had both freeze up in the panhandle. Both require maintenance for really cold weather. Can’t use cheap oil on gas and inertia better be dry as you can get it. Atleast from my experience. End it’s know where you gun will have sticking points, and being prepared for them.

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8009594 10/14/20 02:53 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I have had both freeze up in the panhandle. Both require maintenance for really cold weather. Can’t use cheap oil on gas and inertia better be dry as you can get it. Atleast from my experience. End it’s know where you gun will have sticking points, and being prepared for them.

To that point, leftover Mobil 1 from oil changes keeps the berettas cycling like a champ.

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: 68A] #8009617 10/14/20 03:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by 68A

To that point, leftover Mobil 1 from oil changes keeps the berettas cycling like a champ.

I have a qt in my truck always as it’s what I use also.

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8009648 10/14/20 03:24 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
I use dry lube. The only thing I like sticky is in a woman's panties.

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8009694 10/14/20 03:48 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Just shoot a Benelli, then you dont have to take Pep-Boys to the blind with you! roflmao

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: Sinkey] #8009698 10/14/20 03:52 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Originally Posted by Sinkey
Just shoot a Benelli, then you dont have to take Pep-Boys to the blind with you! roflmao

And for those that don't want to spend the Benelli money try Franchi laugh

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: Sinkey] #8009753 10/14/20 04:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Don’t clean that Benelli and let me know how that works out for you... you might want to Stop by pet boys and toss some carb cleaner in your truck roflmao

No such thing as a maintenance free shotgun. grin

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8009807 10/14/20 05:25 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S

Don’t clean that Benelli and let me know how that works out for you... you might want to Stop by pet boys and toss some carb cleaner in your truck roflmao

roflmao

Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8009943 10/14/20 06:46 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
gas gun when the weather is nice, double barrel when the weather is bad, inertia if I want to get in touch with my feminine side.

#sigline
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: kcrump88] #8010049 10/14/20 07:57 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by kcrump88
Does one generally translate to less felt recoil? Is either generally less forgiving when it comes to getting wet or dirty from being in the woods/marsh/etc?

a lot depends on your loads- a pump will knock the pss out of u w large loads........gas inertia, just preference- I prefer the Extrema- was thinking about the SBEIII for a second gun

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Gas Operated vs Inertia-Driven [Re: #Hayraker] #8010452 10/15/20 12:37 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted by #Hayraker
gas gun when the weather is nice, double barrel when the weather is bad, inertia if I want to get in touch with my feminine side.

If I had a feminine side down there I sure as hell wouldn't tell anyone, much less let anyone touch it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide