Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds #8006190 10/11/20 09:40 PM
L
LanceH Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Looking for advice to be more successful hunting out of pop-up blinds. I know a lot of people don't like them because you're at nose/eye level with deer but for me personally they are just easier to set up.

For those that are successful hunting pop-ups, what advice do you have?

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006214 10/11/20 10:00 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
get a sturdy tripod to shoot off of (I assume you are rifle hunting) - we have used them for years - we don't even brush ours in - deer could care less - great way to hunt IMO

You can't fix stupid
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006226 10/11/20 10:18 PM
B
bassman110 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I have hunted for years out of a pop-up . A shooting stick is a must. A Tripod might be o.k. if you are primarily hunting out of one window. But if hunting out of multiple windows it can be difficult to move it without spooking deer if they are close. I zip the windows on three sides down only enough to see out and be able to stick the rifle out if necessary. I generally don't unzip the window to my back and like a seat that I can easily turn to face each window. The portable three leg dove seats are pretty good but tend to sit a little low. If you can, leave the blind in place and brush it in. Also air it out in the yard for a few days before putting it in place.

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006262 10/11/20 10:51 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
If it's hot out, you can count on the ground blind being about 20 degrees hotter inside. When hunting antelope the heat in there can almost be unbearable. That's a good thing if it's cold and windy, though. If you fall asleep in them, you won't hurt yourself too bad falling out of your chair. I'm a long time ground hunter and recently went to treestands. I like the visibility but I much prefer hunting out of a groundblind. The other posters mentioned don't outline yourself by opening the side or back windows. I only open one fully and the others just a crack so I can catch movement. Chairs: By all means buy a comfortable one. The three legged ones are ok if you don't mind sitting on your cojones for 3 or 4 hours at a time. I have one like that but I don't use it unless I'm going to be walking quite a ways and want something light to carry in addition to the blind. Not much more to add that the others haven't said. Safety can kind of be a wash. Treestand falls can kill you but if you're in an area that has lots of hunters, I would much rather be in a treestand (up in the air and shooting into the ground). If you're hunting public, I would always put something orange on the blind to be sure other hunters will hopefully know you are there.

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006264 10/11/20 10:52 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Yes, get a good, swivel-type chair made specifically for hunting that has at least one adjustable leg since the ground where you want to put the blind may not be level. I've noticed Walmart is now selling these chairs for about $20 less than what you'll find at other places.

Agreed, it can get warm to hot inside with direct sunlight hitting them.

While a propane heater works great inside them, it will cause condensation to form on the inner ceiling and walls, which can create an annoying drip on your rifle and yourself.

The only negative, and I'm not so sure it's a negative, is any health concerns from using a ThermaCell inside them with the windows opened just a few inches. While I've never read that it's not safe to breathe the vapor from a ThermaCell, it can be noticeable when you use one inside a ground blind.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/11/20 10:57 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006456 10/12/20 01:21 AM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Almost forgot. Wear black or black camo (unless your state requires orange) on your body and face. Regular camo sticks out like regular clothes in that black atmosphere. Flat black is fine. The black camo is just to sell more product. Take a lunch. You can sit in these all day. I can only last 3 or 4 hours in a treestand. LikeDan said, you might want to do some research on Thermacell in a confined space and/or some of these ozone generators. Better safe than sorry. PS - you still need to play the wind.

Last edited by Huskerron; 10/12/20 01:47 AM.
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006471 10/12/20 01:32 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
When I broke my foot few weeks back. I was going to rig up a ground blind. I changed my mind and bought an electric bike and will just ride to my stands.

The ground blind that walmart had in Jaspter, Tx looked pretty good for the money. I think it was 100 buck or so and as good or better than some I looked at. I found a good swivel chair at Academy. Also found a chair on Amazon as I recall that had a fold down gun rest. I decided against a ground blind but I have a spot next year I may rig one up if I hunt the same.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006488 10/12/20 01:46 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Wearing black is extremely important. I also brush mine in expecialy if the sun hits the blind.

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006521 10/12/20 02:13 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I bow hunt out of them. I only open one window that I shoot out of. Leave the rest closed.

They offer a ton of room for forgiveness and movement that I couldn’t get away with in a tree stand/tripod.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006680 10/12/20 11:33 AM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Set up should be northwest of feeder as prevailing wind is out of the southeast 80% of the time. This is very important.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006782 10/12/20 01:22 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Get a real stand

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006795 10/12/20 01:31 PM
P
polishpreacher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Pop ups tend to add a bit of flexibility to your hunt, especially if you are hunting with a rifle when you are a longer distance away. For those of us who bow hunt, brushing in or airing out of the pop up blind is necessary as we are usually MUCH closer to our feeder. I have found that when put out at bow range, the deer tend to be skittish around the area for the next week or two. I recently bought one, the brand being Rusk that was tall enough for me to stand up in as many of the pop ups that i have seen I have to shoot out of while seated. Staying sort of on the original posters question about pop ups, is there a brand or variety that is preferred for yall for rifle and for bow? Do yall use the same one or are there aspects that are considered differently when choosing one for rifle and one for bow? Or do you simply buy whatever you find?

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006832 10/12/20 01:51 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I like using popups when testing a new area. If it proves to be a good location, I may add a permanent blind later. Currently working one and so far, so good. On opening day of bow I had 14 deer within 40 yards on one sit, and 12 on another. One shooter buck, but I passed waiting on big brother.

I only fully open to main windows, and just crack the others so I can see. I have a nice swivel chair that I move to back corner, use a shooting stick, and wear dark colors, but don't worry about camo. Also don't worry about brushing in and just build into brushy area. Give it a week or two to become part of the landscape.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006839 10/12/20 01:55 PM
P
polishpreacher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Side question for those who bow hunt from a pop up. How much faith/trust do you put in the camo mesh that most of these blinds have as an outside layer for the windows? Usually they have an inner layer that fully blocks sight in and out and a mesh layer on the outside. Do you put much trust in it? Also, do you assume that it is shoot through or do you lower that mesh before you shoot?

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: polishpreacher] #8006847 10/12/20 02:01 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by polishpreacher
Side question for those who bow hunt from a pop up. How much faith/trust do you put in the camo mesh that most of these blinds have as an outside layer for the windows? Usually they have an inner layer that fully blocks sight in and out and a mesh layer on the outside. Do you put much trust in it? Also, do you assume that it is shoot through or do you lower that mesh before you shoot?

I've tried to shoot through the mesh, but have a hard time seeing through it. I just pull it down when I arrive cuz the velcro makes too much noise when you unfasten. Funny, but several years ago I shot a rifle through the mesh. Maybe just the brand of popup I was using, but the mesh burns...

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: polishpreacher] #8006853 10/12/20 02:07 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by polishpreacher

I've shot through the mesh and it had no ill effect on my arrow flight on a handful of deer and a couple of turkeys.
You have to make sure the mesh is tight and not flopping around, and I used fixed blade broadheads. I never tried mechanical heads but I think they would work as well if the mesh is stretched tight.
Downside of the mesh is the setting or rising sun when the angle hits the mesh rising or setting, it can completely obliterate your view through the screen.
Once the blind has been established in a spot for a while the deer become accustomed to it and you really don't need to shoot through the mesh, and also make sure the inside of the blind is dark, and why I like to set up my popups in the shade with overhanging limbs to block the outline and shade the inside.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006859 10/12/20 02:09 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Anyone have a strong opinion on whether or not deer can recognize if the windows have been opened more or less than usual?

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: Texas Dan] #8006879 10/12/20 02:20 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Deer not so much!....Turkeys yes!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006893 10/12/20 02:27 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Popup blinds are great! I bow hunt from them and have taken several deer over the years. Find a trail then out which direction the wind blows from the majority of the time. Set up as far as you can shoot and if possible find a wind break to get in front of. I put my stand out 2 weeks before a hunt and spray it with coleman camp dry, this helps lock odors in. Use the quietest clothing you can find. I have a cotton mask and a cotton jacket i use on cold days. Scent control is important but not as important as not moving. I've been winded and deer just get skittish and sometime walk up to the blind trying to get you to move. Even with a mask they can see your eyes so don't blink. Wear gloves so they don't see skin reflection. I've had then at 5 yards stomping the ground. They leave and come back if you don't move, a lot of times. In the picture the white cover is about 27 yards away, he tree is 7 yards, the feeder is 22 yards to the funnel and the edge of the trap is 17 yards. Find land marks to help you with distance so you can just lift your bow and shoot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8006894 10/12/20 02:27 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I love hunting out of pop ups, I brush them in extremely good leaving only a couple holes to shoot out of and the deer never pay much attention to them. My only concern with them is the critters that like to take up residence in them. I scrape the ground under them to bare dirt and every time I get in one I rough up the ground to release some fresh dirt smell. I’m not sure if it actually helps but I feel it gives a little cover scent when you can smell the moist fresh earth scent plus it allows me to move inside without any sound at all being bare ground.
The key IMO is to heavily brush them in and break up the outlines of the blind. I’ve killed a ton of deer out of them and it’s pretty cool being face to face with them verses peering down from a tree. My only negative comment on them is the lack of visibility most of the time but you get accustomed to that after a while.

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: Ol Thumper] #8007085 10/12/20 04:11 PM
L
LanceH Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Popup blinds are great! I bow hunt from them and have taken several deer over the years. Find a trail then out which direction the wind blows from the majority of the time. Set up as far as you can shoot and if possible find a wind break to get in front of. I put my stand out 2 weeks before a hunt and spray it with coleman camp dry, this helps lock odors in. Use the quietest clothing you can find. I have a cotton mask and a cotton jacket i use on cold days. Scent control is important but not as important as not moving. I've been winded and deer just get skittish and sometime walk up to the blind trying to get you to move. Even with a mask they can see your eyes so don't blink. Wear gloves so they don't see skin reflection. I've had then at 5 yards stomping the ground. They leave and come back if you don't move, a lot of times. In the picture the white cover is about 27 yards away, he tree is 7 yards, the feeder is 22 yards to the funnel and the edge of the trap is 17 yards. Find land marks to help you with distance so you can just lift your bow and shoot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I love hunting out of pop ups, I brush them in extremely good leaving only a couple holes to shoot out of and the deer never pay much attention to them. My only concern with them is the critters that like to take up residence in them. I scrape the ground under them to bare dirt and every time I get in one I rough up the ground to release some fresh dirt smell. I’m not sure if it actually helps but I feel it gives a little cover scent when you can smell the moist fresh earth scent plus it allows me to move inside without any sound at all being bare ground.
The key IMO is to heavily brush them in and break up the outlines of the blind. I’ve killed a ton of deer out of them and it’s pretty cool being face to face with them verses peering down from a tree. My only negative comment on them is the lack of visibility most of the time but you get accustomed to that after a while.

Thank you guys. How do you control your scent, especially your breath?

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8007108 10/12/20 04:24 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
The way you control scent is to NEVER hunt it when you are not downwind of the deer...........especially if you are trying to get close and bow hunt......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8007117 10/12/20 04:32 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
+1 on some type of shooting stick. Nothing but anecdotal evidence but I think deer recognize whether the windows are open or not, so I leave mine open all the time and brush the blind in somewhat. Also get one of the bigger ones with an internal frame, I've used the cheaper ones without and they aren't fun in heavy winds with the sides collapsing

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: kk66] #8007152 10/12/20 04:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by kk66
Also get one of the bigger ones with an internal frame, I've used the cheaper ones without and they aren't fun in heavy winds with the sides collapsing

Your comment brings to mind another key point concerning pop-up blinds. Once you buy a new one with a design that's new to you, spend some time to familiarize yourself with the correct steps to put it up and take it down. I have one that I finally gave up trying to put up by following the instructions and instead found a YouTube video that explained it. While the smaller and more simple ones with flexible poles are quite easy to set up, the larger ones with a more sturdy, heavy steel frame may require a lot more effort to understand the steps to both put them up and take them down. They can be one of those things where it takes you 45-minutes the first time you do it, and 5 minutes once you've learned how.

Also, even my smaller blinds require a certain "knack" to get them to collapse to a point where they can easily stored away. In order to make them last longer, and because it's so easy to remove them, I always take my blinds down and store them once the season closes.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/12/20 04:57 PM.

Re: Looking for Advice on Hunting out of Pop-Up Blinds [Re: LanceH] #8007197 10/12/20 05:23 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by LanceH
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Thank you guys. How do you control your scent, especially your breath?

Well there is no real good way to cover all your scent but traditionally my grandmother taught us to cut down on meat in our diet for about 4 days before the hunt. Fish and veggies for a week isn't bad. It seems to work. I saw Texas Dan mention the type of blind and he brings up a good point. I use the hub style double blinds so you can back further into the dark spaces for less visibility from the outside.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide