Print Thread
Thermal Cal. #8003054 10/08/20 08:58 PM
C
Clayton1 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
When you have a thermal set to manual calibration, how often should you have to hit the cal. button when using the scope? (Pulsar Apex)

Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: Clayton1] #8003058 10/08/20 09:01 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
That depends on you and the conditions. If you think the image has degraded and is bothering you, make the calibration (nuc). It will be a good bit less than if you are running it on automatic.

You know that on the Apex, there is automatic, semi-automatic, and manual. Auto does everything. Semi-auto and manual occur when the user decides. With semi-auto, the user just presses a button and a shutter covers the sensor for the nuc to take place. With manual, you have to cover the front lens and press the button.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: Clayton1] #8003100 10/08/20 09:37 PM
C
Clayton1 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Perfect, thank you for the info.

I felt like it was getting grainy pretty constantly. It would clear each time I would nuc it. Maybe because the humidity was pretty high.

Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: Clayton1] #8003334 10/09/20 12:53 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Just leave it on auto. No real reason not too

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: Clayton1] #8003350 10/09/20 01:08 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
DO NOT LEAVE IT ON AUTO NUC.

1. Uses more battery power
2. May and will NUC during shooting sequences or at bad moments and hence may be a safety issue.

Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: Clayton1] #8003383 10/09/20 01:31 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Never had an issue with auto nuc. I have however had issues when it was on manual nuc, when I hit the button I had like 4 different pictures of the same picture. Thermal was done for the rest of the night. Had to run the battery all the way down and recharge to get it to refresh

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: BigPig] #8003814 10/09/20 02:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BigPig
Never had an issue with auto nuc. I have however had issues when it was on manual nuc, when I hit the button I had like 4 different pictures of the same picture. Thermal was done for the rest of the night. Had to run the battery all the way down and recharge to get it to refresh

There have been several videos posted here where people have demonstrated the issue with various brands of thermals. The scary part is that people are sometimes actually shooting during the auto nuc, with the image frozen, which is not a safe practice.

Interesting on your problem trying to manually nuc the image. Virtually nobody runs their scopes on manual unless the shutter mechanism inside the scope is broken or manual nucing is the only option nuc the scope. Most folks run their scopes on auto or semi-auto.

Sounds like you tried to run your scope on manual and NUCed the image without covering the lens cap.

No reason to let the rechargeable battery run down (which, if you were running an Apex, would be an external battery). You could have simply changed back over to semi or auto nuc, powered down, or if you could not do either of for some reason, simply detached the battery, LOL. You didn't have to wait for the battery to run down and your thermal should not have been done for the night.

Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: Clayton1] #8003820 10/09/20 02:33 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Never auto. Always manual for reasons stated above, and usually have to recalibrate every 5-10 minutes for the first 30 minutes or so. After that it seems to hold well.

Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8004004 10/09/20 04:46 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

There have been several videos posted here where people have demonstrated the issue with various brands of thermals. The scary part is that people are sometimes actually shooting during the auto nuc, with the image frozen, which is not a safe practice.

Interesting on your problem trying to manually nuc the image. Virtually nobody runs their scopes on manual unless the shutter mechanism inside the scope is broken or manual nucing is the only option nuc the scope. Most folks run their scopes on auto or semi-auto.

Sounds like you tried to run your scope on manual and NUCed the image without covering the lens cap.

No reason to let the rechargeable battery run down (which, if you were running an Apex, would be an external battery). You could have simply changed back over to semi or auto nuc, powered down, or if you could not do either of for some reason, simply detached the battery, LOL. You didn't have to wait for the battery to run down and your thermal should not have been done for the night.

I spent 30 minutes on YouTube, reading the instructions, and scouring the internet for help and nothing was working. Finally gave up. The next day after replacing the now dead batteries it was back up and working just fine. Yes it was an Apex, it’s now history as the power button quit working and SellMark refunded me the money. The new Trail 2 I leave on Auto Nuc, 8 hours from the battery is plenty of hunting for me.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: DocHorton] #8004320 10/09/20 08:59 PM
C
Clayton1 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Never auto. Always manual for reasons stated above, and usually have to recalibrate every 5-10 minutes for the first 30 minutes or so. After that it seems to hold well.

That was probably my problem. I just use it around the farm when the dogs are going crazy. I usually dont have it powered up for long.

Re: Thermal Cal. [Re: BigPig] #8004605 10/10/20 01:22 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

I spent 30 minutes on YouTube, reading the instructions, and scouring the internet for help and nothing was working. Finally gave up. The next day after replacing the now dead batteries it was back up and working just fine. Yes it was an Apex, it’s now history as the power button quit working and SellMark refunded me the money. The new Trail 2 I leave on Auto Nuc, 8 hours from the battery is plenty of hunting for me.

You should have just pulled the batteries, LOL. So you had a potentially defective unit, so not really relevant to the OP situation.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide