Re: Timber rattler [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8002801 10/08/20 06:02 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Timber Rattlers are on the Texas and US threatened and endangered species list and thus are protected by state and federal law.

Do not kill them. Killing them is a crime.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/timberrattlesnake/

Not if he killed it to protect himself which it sounds pretty much like he did!

Good luck convincing a judge and jury of that.

How hard is it to just move away?

Pretty expensive having to hire lawyers and go to a trial with that argument.

Re: Timber rattler [Re: jeffbird] #8002817 10/08/20 06:12 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Timber Rattlers are on the Texas and US threatened and endangered species list and thus are protected by state and federal law.

Sure, I could move away and next time my nephews 4 year old is playing by the gate, or my son , nephew, BIL, sister , dad or I open the gate get nailed.....if it was away from normal foot traffic area I would and have let them and others live. But not at my main gate! Not worried about needing defense or lawyers.....

Re: Timber rattler [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8002850 10/08/20 06:32 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Here's a post I made a few years ago. I currently don't have any captive snakes but still catch and release a few now and again....

I mostly deal only with native Texas stuff...luv em! Right now I have 4 diamondback rattlesnakes, two grey-banded kings, a bull snake, and a california king. These are my pet collection but I catch and release all the time - venomous and non-venomous. Last week I caught a banded watersnake and a rough green snake (grass snake) on an oil well we were working on. I move them to keep rig hands from killing them. I will release them to a non-populated area this weekend.

Well, to each his/her own and I do respect your opinion but just don't agree with letting rattlesnakes go!

I sincerely hope that neither you or anyone else is ever bitten by one that you handled or released.....
or a dog for that matter.

all creatures have a place, not saying to let stay around possibly hurt some one

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Timber rattler [Re: jeffbird] #8002852 10/08/20 06:33 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

popcorn

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Timber rattler [Re: Mako My Day] #8002867 10/08/20 06:44 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Only Timber I have encountered was on a mid summer backpacking trip in the Gila several years ago. It was a juvenile and it was coiled up right in the middle of the trail. Fortunately I try to keep my eyes on the ground most of the time when hiking/backpacking/hunting when warm out. We let it be....but all it takes is one careless mis-step and in the middle of the Gila 20+ miles in, it would/could have been a different outcome. They are indeed a beautiful snake, more so than the diamondback IMO.

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Mako My Day] #8002870 10/08/20 06:45 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
You're entitled to a trial by your peers, and I bet in Texas there's at least one judge and 12 people who hate them too!! smile

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Mako My Day] #8002882 10/08/20 06:57 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Please do not kill them. Killing them is a crime and could easily result in the loss of hunting and fishing rights for years at a minimum. Fines and jail time are also possible.

As of this year no longer on the threatened list in Texas

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/fids/202001043-1.pdf
https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/meetings/2020/0123/agenda/item_02/index.phtml

It is not on the US endangered list. It is listed as Least Concern Population decreasing

Last edited by Sniper John; 10/08/20 07:09 PM.
Re: Timber rattler [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8002888 10/08/20 07:03 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
[quote=ILUVBIGBUCKS]

I can’t understand killing something that isn’t being a threat to you and is beneficial to the habitat.

Agree 100%, all snakes I encounter get a pass on my ranch.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Timber rattler [Re: Sniper John] #8002892 10/08/20 07:11 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

Originally Posted by Sniper John

Please do not kill them. Killing them is a crime and could easily result in the loss of hunting and fishing rights for years at a minimum. Fines and jail time are also possible.

As of this year no longer on the threatened list in Texas

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/fids/202001043-1.pdf
https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/meetings/2020/0123/agenda/item_02/index.phtml

It is not on the US endangered list. It is listed as Least Concern Population decreasing

Good info John. Thanks for that update. up

fwiw - Here is the actual Threatened and Endangered List for Texas for all species last updated in March.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wil...dState-ListedSpeciesComplete-3302020.pdf

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Mako My Day] #8002905 10/08/20 07:23 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
And here is the federal status. The TPWD page linked is out of date on the State's status and wrong on it being protected in all states. There are some States in addition to Texas where it is not protected.
https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/64318/12765920

Other than killing them when there is a need or threat, I do believe in letting them be if they are not causing any harm. Just wanted to let y'all know about the status change.

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Sniper John] #8002915 10/08/20 07:31 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
And here is the federal status. The TPWD page linked is out of date on the State's status and wrong on it being protected in all states. There are some States in addition to Texas where it is not protected.

Other than killing them when there is a need or threat, I do believe in letting them be if they are not causing any harm. Just wanted to let y'all know about the status change.

The IUCN Red List is not the USFWS list.

Here is the USFWS database. https://ecos.fws.gov/ecp/species/7969

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Stompy] #8002952 10/08/20 07:56 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Stompy
[quote=ILUVBIGBUCKS]

I can’t understand killing something that isn’t being a threat to you and is beneficial to the habitat.

Bees/wasps and dogs harm/kill more people every year....same with lightening...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Timber rattler [Re: Theringworm] #8002958 10/08/20 08:00 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Theringworm
Only Timber I have encountered was on a mid summer backpacking trip in the Gila several years ago. It was a juvenile and it was coiled up right in the middle of the trail. Fortunately I try to keep my eyes on the ground most of the time when hiking/backpacking/hunting when warm out. We let it be....but all it takes is one careless mis-step and in the middle of the Gila 20+ miles in, it would/could have been a different outcome. They are indeed a beautiful snake, more so than the diamondback IMO.

I’ve encountered dozens of them over the years and they are one of the most passive species I’ve delt with venomous or non venomous. Can’t speak to the behavior of the individual at the front gate but ALL I’ve met up with either stayed perfectly still or tried to move away from me.

Jes my experience 2cents

Last edited by SnakeWrangler; 10/08/20 08:00 PM.

Re: Timber rattler [Re: jeffbird] #8003105 10/08/20 09:43 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

The IUCN Red List is not the USFWS list.

Here is the USFWS database. https://ecos.fws.gov/ecp/species/7969

Correct. up On the USFWS list it is simply not listed "Listing Status: Not Listed".

Re: Timber rattler [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8003126 10/08/20 10:02 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

I’ve encountered dozens of them over the years and they are one of the most passive species I’ve delt with venomous or non venomous. Can’t speak to the behavior of the individual at the front gate but ALL I’ve met up with either stayed perfectly still or tried to move away from me.

Jes my experience 2cents

Several years ago I used to catch timber rattlers in Oklahoma to bring into Texas after obtaining state export permits so I could sell them here. I would agree they are not as aggressive as most except copperheads. One of my Walker hounds was bitten by Timber Rattler in Oklahoma, but it was not because the snake was agressive. My hound simply trampled over it when her and three other hounds had just struck a trail near me. Fortunately only the one hound got hit. She was in so much pain I had to wrap my coat around her head to keep her from biting me and carried her out. She survived it, but it was a rough night.

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Mako My Day] #8003274 10/09/20 12:05 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
They are beautiful snakes. I killed a big one hunting in Victoria a long time ago, guy I was hunting with wanted to make a belt out of it so I shot it.

Re: Timber rattler [Re: skinnerback] #8003340 10/09/20 12:56 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by skinnerback
They are beautiful snakes. I killed a big one hunting in Victoria a long time ago, guy I was hunting with wanted to make a belt out of it so I shot it.

I got a really big one once that was so beautiful that I decided I wanted to keep it instead of selling it. I skinned it and bought some snake tan to tan it myself. I glued the skin to some construction paper to give it some rigidity. Color choice did not matter as it would not be seen, but it was Red construction paper that we had on hand leftover from a school project my son did. I then trimmed the paper to the edges so you could not see it. Then glued the whole thing to a larger strip of black felt for display. tacked on the wall it was beautiful. For about a month that is. It was like every day the skin got redder and redder. Within a month so much die had bled through from the paper that the whole skin had turned a dark plumb red that hid most of the pattern on the snake. It looked ugly and unnatural. The skin had to be thrown away. What was I thinking! bang

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Sniper John] #8003343 10/09/20 01:00 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by skinnerback

I got a really big one once that was so beautiful that I decided I wanted to keep it instead of selling it. I skinned it and bought some snake tan to tan it myself. I glued the skin to some construction paper to give it some rigidity. Color choice did not matter as it would not be seen, but it was Red construction paper that we had on hand leftover from a school project my son did. I then trimmed the paper to the edges so you could not see it. Then glued the whole thing to a larger strip of black felt for display. tacked on the wall it was beautiful. For about a month that is. It was like every day the skin got redder and redder. Within a month so much die had bled through from the paper that the whole skin had turned a dark plumb red that hid most of the pattern on the snake. It looked ugly and unnatural. The skin had to be thrown away. What was I thinking! bang

Aw man! Learning experience for sure!

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Mako My Day] #8003605 10/09/20 11:52 AM
M
Mako My Day Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Thanks for the update on the threatened list, if I find another one dead, it’s coming home with me

Re: Timber rattler [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8003607 10/09/20 11:54 AM
M
Mako My Day Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Here's a post I made a few years ago. I currently don't have any captive snakes but still catch and release a few now and again....

I mostly deal only with native Texas stuff...luv em! Right now I have 4 diamondback rattlesnakes, two grey-banded kings, a bull snake, and a california king. These are my pet collection but I catch and release all the time - venomous and non-venomous. Last week I caught a banded watersnake and a rough green snake (grass snake) on an oil well we were working on. I move them to keep rig hands from killing them. I will release them to a non-populated area this weekend.

My new home for the rattlesnakes...
[Linked Image]

One of my babies...
[Linked Image]

Another baby!
[Linked Image]

Nice timber I removed from the road a few years ago...
[Linked Image]

Close-up of the end to avoid!
[Linked Image]

They are beautiful snakes, but I would not pick up a live one for any amount of money...

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Theringworm] #8003812 10/09/20 02:30 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Timbers and Blacktails are my favorite Texas rattlesnakes....absolutely beautiful and very passive in behavior. Westerns are very aggressive and are responsible for most bites.

Re: Timber rattler [Re: Stompy] #8003992 10/09/20 04:39 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Stompy

It's your ranch and I respect your decision on that.
I also pray that you or nobody else takes a bite from one.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Timber rattler [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8004046 10/09/20 05:25 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

Bees/wasps and dogs harm/kill more people every year....same with lightening...

No doubt on the bees and wasps. But, a bee/wasp sting is pretty damn minor unless your are allergic to them. So, that comparison seems a bit silly to me. I've been stung 3 times by bumble bees which make a normal bee or wasp sting seem like a mosquito.

In the US there are between 7k-8k rattlesnake bites each year.
There are between 200-250 people each year in the US struck by lightning.
About 45-50 people a year in the US are killed by lighting and about 5 die from being bitten.

So, while I agree that bees and wasps do harm many more people than rattlesnakes, that 'harm' is typically NOWHERE near the level of a rattlesnake.
I agree that Lightning certainly kills many more people than snakebite in the US, you are about 35x-40x more likely to be bitten by a rattlesnake than hit by lighting.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Timber rattler [Re: Mako My Day] #8004093 10/09/20 06:12 PM
BigRon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Just for clarification, is it legal to kill a timber rattlesnake in Texas?

No making a value judgement on whether it's a good idea to kill one, but I have always thought and been told it was illegal. After reading this thread, I am not sure.

Thanks
Ron

God is so good to me.
Re: Timber rattler [Re: Pupjoint] #8004110 10/09/20 06:21 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted by Pupjoint
That’s a good one! DEAD