Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: 68A] #8001305 10/07/20 02:09 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted by 68A
Originally Posted by dk2429
If you don't have a budget, for sure the Benelli SBE3.

I'd run a Stoeger M3500 before I spent a penny on a clanky and janky Beretta. Have shot/used the A400 and A300 Outlander, didn't like either of them. Now every Benelli I've shot, up up up Stoeger's are damn near close to the feel of a Benelli for half the price. And I'd run a Stoeger before a Beretta.

But yeah for sure go for a Benelli auto.. Either SBE3 or the M2 if you don't care about 3 1/2" shells. I run a Remington Versamax that I absoutely love.. Didn't have the money nor the willingness to dish out $2000 on a Benelli, especailly since I got the Versamax for damn near half off brand new!

But yeah... My vote is Benelli all the way..

1- Benelli
2- Remington (the V3 or the Versamax... the other new Remingtons are junk)
3- Stoeger
4- Winchester SX4
5- Beretta

But with that said, the reality of it is since it's gonna be your first time bird hunting, just get a 870 or Mossberg 500 pump! You ain't gotta start with the biggest and baddest gun. I started with a Winchester 1300 12 gauge pump that I picked up for $230 as my first duck gun, after being preached on here that I had to absolutely get an A400 or SBE3 to kill a bird.... I shot many of ducks with that 1300 no problem. Now that I know that I'm hooked, I went ahead and upgraded.

My friend still shoots a rusty and crusty Mossberg 500 and doesnt do any worse than I do!

May be mistaken but, werent you just on here a couple of months ago saying you were new to autoloaders and asking which one to buy? I believe you may have gotten frustrated that no one would vouch for the Remington you were sold on. A lot of new found experience, huh?

Not mistaken, that would be me!

Theres doubt in my mind, I'd love a SBE3 Benelli! Benelli is the smoothest shotgun I've ever handled, and I've hunted with an M2 and A400.

But, I got a brand new Versamax for half off which is over half the price of a Benelli. It was a no brainer.

I've put at least over 1000 rounds through it already at the range and not one single FTE on all shell sizes and load sizes. So as of now I'm more than happy with it and the fact that I saved $1500.

But my statement still stands.. I'd run a Stoeger or SX4 before I spent any kind of penny on a Beretta . I tried real hard to make myself like the A300 Outlander cause everyone was saying that its Gods gun. Couldn't do it though. Felt no better than a Yildiz.

When/if I get a B gun, its gonna be Benelli or Browning.

Last edited by dk2429; 10/07/20 02:14 PM.
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8001313 10/07/20 02:16 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Just keep your goal of "high quality semi-auto 12ga" in mind. Beretta, Benelli, Browning fall into this category, there are several others. One recommendation that I would make is to go by Scheels, it is one of the few stores where you don't have to ask a salesperson to hand you each shotgun. They also have most of the guns mentioned here and it might help you speed up your decision. You don't have to buy the gun there although they seemed to have pretty decent prices. Also, go to Elm Fork if you can, you can rent and shoot some of the guns mentioned here.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8001376 10/07/20 03:07 PM
L
longtalltexan Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
No mention of Retay here, anyone have any experience with them?

A wise man told me don't argue with fools. Folks from a distance can't tell who is who.
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8001409 10/07/20 03:41 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
To the OP, since you mentioned Browning and Beretta I'm assuming price isn't your primary concern. That being said, you should do some research to narrow down reliable guns. That's what you're doing here, great. Like is said often around here, you can't go wrong with a B gun (Benelli, Beretta, or Browning). Go to your local retailer that carries all that you have on your list and shoulder them all. Sometimes the feel is a lot better or worse than you would imagine. Pick the one that naturally feels the best. I did this same thing thinking I wanted a Browning but the SBE2 felt perfect so I went with it.

Then, go home and hop online. I went to GunBroker and waited until I found a good deal - camo never shot for $1,200. Deals can be found if you're patient. What you save on taxes more than makes up the FFL and shipping cost.

And you mention Stoeger. I know a guy that bought his son one when he stepped up to a 12 ga. He is now shooting it over his Vinci because he has a hard time with the Benelli LOL. He has only had it a few months, but so far this dove season it has been performing well. The main difference being that if you buy a cheaper gun, in general the odds of getting a turd are higher because the manufacturing shortcuts are what makes them cheaper. You can still get an expensive turd, but your odds are a lot lower. There are tons of people that are very happy with their less expensive guns. They rolled the dice and it paid off for them. I'd rather not gamble on it tho, just my two cents.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: LarryCopper] #8001415 10/07/20 03:44 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LarryCopper
To the OP, since you mentioned Browning and Beretta I'm assuming price isn't your primary concern. That being said, you should do some research to narrow down reliable guns. That's what you're doing here, great. Like is said often around here, you can't go wrong with a B gun (Benelli, Beretta, or Browning). Go to your local retailer that carries all that you have on your list and shoulder them all. Sometimes the feel is a lot better or worse than you would imagine. Pick the one that naturally feels the best. I did this same thing thinking I wanted a Browning but the SBE2 felt perfect so I went with it.

Then, go home and hop online. I went to GunBroker and waited until I found a good deal - camo never shot for $1,200. Deals can be found if you're patient. What you save on taxes more than makes up the FFL and shipping cost.

And you mention Stoeger. I know a guy that bought his son one when he stepped up to a 12 ga. He is now shooting it over his Vinci because he has a hard time with the Benelli LOL. He has only had it a few months, but so far this dove season it has been performing well. The main difference being that if you buy a cheaper gun, in general the odds of getting a turd are higher because the manufacturing shortcuts are what makes them cheaper. You can still get an expensive turd, but your odds are a lot lower. There are tons of people that are very happy with their less expensive guns. They rolled the dice and it paid off for them. I'd rather not gamble on it tho, just my two cents.

Larry brought up another good point. Go shoulder all of them in the store. One my feel better than the other to you.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8001421 10/07/20 03:52 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
The Stoeger 2000 series and 3000 series use the same action as the Benelli are are ridiculously reliable. Reasonably price too.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: JABHunting] #8001439 10/07/20 04:08 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by JABHunting
The Stoeger 2000 series and 3000 series use the same action as the Benelli are are ridiculously reliable. Reasonably price too.

Kind of like the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus. Standing there with your hands in your pockets it's kind of a toss up, but when you sit down and turn the key you can tell the difference.

If price point is a concern the Stoeger by most accounts is a good option. Just not the same bells and whistles.

Ironically I drive a Toyota grin

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8001443 10/07/20 04:10 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Stoeger M3000 is a heck of a value and extremely reliable. They've gained traction in 3-Gun competitions for a reason.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8001543 10/07/20 05:31 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
How do yall guys like the triger on your benellis? I have always found them to be to stiff, but I've always liked a light trigger.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: 2flyfish4] #8001627 10/07/20 06:55 PM
T
TBS12 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
How do yall guys like the triger on your benellis? I have always found them to be to stiff, but I've always liked a light trigger.

I don't notice a difference between mine and when shooting my buddies browning or my Remington 1100.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: 2flyfish4] #8001646 10/07/20 07:21 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4

I sent mine to Rob Roberts in Arkansas and had trigger work done to it. Alot smoother and less draw now.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8001650 10/07/20 07:26 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
I like the triggers on my Benelli's. Light triggers are for snowflakes, not shotguns.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: aerangis] #8001687 10/07/20 08:08 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by aerangis
I like the triggers on my Benelli's. Light triggers are for snowflakes, not shotguns.

Sorry about my language mods!

Please explain to me why you think lighter triggers are for snowflakes?

Last edited by Sinkey; 10/07/20 08:41 PM.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8008983 10/14/20 01:13 AM
K
kcrump88 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
Thanks for all the input and advice! Y'all are awesome. I went and shouldered a bunch today and, to be honest, they all felt pretty similarly. There were some noticeable differences in weight that generally seemed to follow pricepoint, expectedly. I was, however, surprised that some of the higher end options didn't seem to shoulder as naturally or feel as comfortable as others (the Beretta A400 felt heavy and the Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 felt uncomfortably long). I wonder if this could have been a result of just some level of arm fatigue? Seems odd, but that's all I can come up with. Also, the A400 model they had in stock was a wood stock with a blue action/case - could that explain the heavier felt weight versus a synthetic stock?

That said, I didn't shoot any - just handled them in our local Academy and Gander. The Browning A5 felt the best, but I'll admit I just don't know what I'm feeling and what I really should want in a gun yet. Do any of y'all have any input or feelings on the A5?

Any other input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by kcrump88; 10/14/20 01:14 AM.

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8009144 10/14/20 02:58 AM
O
OTL91 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I have one of the modern era A5s. I went four years of hard hunting without ever cleaning the recoil spring in buttstock before it gave me issues. Cleaned that out with some degreaser and she’s good as new. It doesn’t like real low velocity dove loads but will shoot any shell that shoots 1300 FPS or greater. Make sure you keep your choke tube oiled as they are notorious for becoming stuck.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8009537 10/14/20 02:11 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
I had significant problems with the new redesigned A5 after the first year I owned it. Primarily the recoil spring corroding.

The upside with the new A5 is it's extremely light and accurate. Of course, accuracy doesn't mean much if the shotgun doesn't work. Search my posts from years past and you'll see a lengthy diatribe on the problems I had with that shotgun.

fwiw, I ditched it for a Super Vinci which has been trouble free and shoots everything I feed it reliably. Another good shotguns is the are the Benelli SBE, Franchi Affinity and Stoeger M3000.

Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8022674 10/25/20 02:07 AM
H
hogwart Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I have to admit I'm outa my class here.
I could never afford an expensive gun until quiet recently and by then I'd become comfortable with less popular makes. As in the cheapest available.

So I'm not going to recommend any make or model.

I wonder though is there a reason for wanting a semi-auto?

The reason I ask is while I was still learning to wing shoot I tried a pump shotgun, I had been using a break action and thought a pump might be a better option. To my mind it offered the chance for a second shot, which to me meant double the chance of hitting.

It didn't work out that way for me. What happened was I wound up rushing my first shot and missing because of that and couldn't get on a bird fast enough for a second shot.
So my already pathetic hit average got even worse.

Now I hunt with a Mossberg 190 bolt action 16 gauge. It's not a popular shotgun, never was, but I like bolt actions so I like it, and I can hit with it.
To my mind that's all that matters.

My advice, if you can afford the best on the shelf, no reason you shouldn't have it.
However, if you are on a budget I see no reason you should mortgage the farm to get more gun then you need.

Best advice in my book is practice practice practice.
If you can't hit with a break action hardware gun you won't likely do much better with a Purdey side by side.

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8025397 10/27/20 12:21 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I have nothing to real add to the conversation except from the philosophical bent. When I was a kid, the absolute cheapest shotgun anyone would be caught dead hunting with was a Mossberg. That was the bottom of the barrel. For whatever reason in South East Texas if you didn't have a Belgian made A-5 you was po folks, and not taken seriously as a hunter (even though I knew a lot of rednecks up to their eyeballs in hock so they could have that Browning in the F-150's gun rack). If you knew anyone who even had a Stoeger, it was a twin hammered sxs coach gun. Now, not only are they respectable brands, but very sought after.
Oh and for what it is worth, I have 3 autoloaders: a '60's model Remington 1100, that I inherited from my dad, a Beretta a300, and yes a Belgian made A-5.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: Kevin Heath] #8028292 10/29/20 12:41 AM
D
dk2429 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
I have nothing to real add to the conversation except from the philosophical bent. When I was a kid, the absolute cheapest shotgun anyone would be caught dead hunting with was a Mossberg. That was the bottom of the barrel. For whatever reason in South East Texas if you didn't have a Belgian made A-5 you was po folks, and not taken seriously as a hunter (even though I knew a lot of rednecks up to their eyeballs in hock so they could have that Browning in the F-150's gun rack). If you knew anyone who even had a Stoeger, it was a twin hammered sxs coach gun. Now, not only are they respectable brands, but very sought after.
Oh and for what it is worth, I have 3 autoloaders: a '60's model Remington 1100, that I inherited from my dad, a Beretta a300, and yes a Belgian made A-5.

When you were a kid..? Still exists today! If you don't run a SBE, A400, or an A5 you're a poor worthless sack of [censored] that can't hunt to save your life grin

Last edited by dk2429; 10/29/20 12:43 AM.
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: dk2429] #8029995 10/30/20 11:11 AM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K

When you were a kid..? Still exists today! If you don't run a SBE, A400, or an A5 you're a poor worthless sack of [censored] that can't hunt to save your life grin

Key phrase "Belgian made"

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: Kevin Heath] #8030044 10/30/20 12:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Key phrase "Belgian made"

”Japanese made” barrels are more relevant since steel friendly

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8030077 10/30/20 12:47 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by kcrump88
Going on my first (of hopefully many) bird hunt this January, for Goose and Pheasant. I need to buy a shotgun and start getting some reps in with it. Can y'all give me some advice on a high quality semi-auto 12ga? I've hear the Beretta A400 is great, and the Stoeger M3500 is very good. Not much else. Shot a Browning Maxus the other day and it felt pretty good. I need all the help I can get, so thanks in advance.

The Maxus is a solid gun, but no way to put an extension tube on it for a goose conservation hunt.

[Linked Image]
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: Hopedale] #8030382 10/30/20 04:50 PM
H
hogwart Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by Hopedale

The Maxus is a solid gun, but no way to put an extension tube on it for a goose conservation hunt.

What am I missing? Why would a tube be necessary? Isn't three shots legal down there?

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: kcrump88] #8030399 10/30/20 05:03 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Benelli M2
if you want to spend less, get the Franchi Affinity 3
basically the same gun...little different ergos.

if you feel you will need to shoot 3.5" shells, get the Benelli SBE II or the Franchi Affinity 3.5

[Linked Image]
Re: Need Shotgun Advice - Please help! [Re: hogwart] #8030543 10/30/20 07:08 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by hogwart
Originally Posted by Hopedale

What am I missing? Why would a tube be necessary? Isn't three shots legal down there?

During the snow goose conservation season there is no limit on the amount of shells your gun holds so guys put magazine extensions on their guns to maximize the number of shells they can shoot each volley.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide