Page 1 of 2 1 2
Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? #8000256 10/06/20 04:32 PM
P
PMK Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
recently had to have a new well pump installed including new piping at my mother in laws house. Previously the pump was down in the hole, so no pump cover or insulation was needed. Now the pump is exposed along with ~30 inches of PVC before going back underground. I am guessing I will still need to wrap the pipes but think I need to put some type of a cover over the entire thing???

reference slab is 33"x33" by 10" tall, pump/pipe is above slab 12" and where pipe goes back underground is about 8" from slab.

Looking for ideas ...
[Linked Image]

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000257 10/06/20 04:34 PM
P
PMK Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
(this was supposed to be in the DIY area)

~PMK~
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000267 10/06/20 04:42 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I wrapped my pvc with heat tape, then pipe wrap insulation. Then built a box with insulated panels on the inside and put it over well head when it was going to be below freezing. Just ran an extension cord for the heat tape.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000287 10/06/20 05:09 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Mine has been exposed for 45. Years. Never had a problem. The tank in inside my garage. I see that yours goes back in the garound after the L. This is the only outside exposed area goin into my garage. I have no idea what the second is for. I put spray fome from a can on the inside.

[Linked Image]

I wrapped the pipes coming out of my water softener. I had to remove some sheet in order to fit the water softener in. I didn't study about my outside pipes. I can easily turn them off on the winter.

[Linked Image]

Different strokes for different folks. Your water well man has done hundreds. I'd trust him opinion more I would trust a washed drug peddler.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000294 10/06/20 05:14 PM
P
PMK Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
yep, pressure tank is in the laundry room inside the house about 250+ feet away.

I was going to build something but my wife wants to just buy something premade, like the fiberglass fake looking rocks, but one that is big enough is pretty pricey to enclose the whole thing. The only issue with running the heat tape is then relying on tenants to plug it in when it will be below freezing (and remembering to unplug when its not).

~PMK~
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000340 10/06/20 05:55 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Heat tape is controlled with its built-in thermostat. You can leave it plugged in

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000400 10/06/20 06:45 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Had a similar issue with pump and PVC pipe. Recycled a metal stock tank as the cover after lining the interior with foam board. So far it's worked like a champ.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000473 10/06/20 07:50 PM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
i would build a decent looking box around it with a lid and stuff it with insulation. would look look like a dog house. leave a faucet slow drip if there ever is a freeze warning

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: Poppa] #8000558 10/06/20 08:50 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Poppa
i would build a decent looking box around it with a lid and stuff it with insulation. would look look like a dog house. leave a faucet slow drip if there ever is a freeze warning

There is generally not a faucet between the well and the tank. Very little pressured in that area. Take a peek at the picture in the OP.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000569 10/06/20 09:04 PM
P
PMK Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
yes, I had thought about building something, either pressure treated wood or even welding up a square tubing metal frame with either siding or sheet metal, then insulated the interior walls/top ... wife says I don't have time for that plus using any type of wood products would just be a temporary fix due to rotting. She is also concerned about appearance, since it will be fairly viewable from the highway and front of the house area. Why she was thinking one of those fiberglass or pre-cast rock looking covers, but finding one large enough to cover that area is not a common size and would be fairly large (and stick out like a sore thumb to me, but my opinion is not the question) ...

~PMK~
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000579 10/06/20 09:11 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by PMK
yep, pressure tank is in the laundry room inside the house about 250+ feet away.

I was going to build something but my wife wants to just buy something premade, like the fiberglass fake looking rocks, but one that is big enough is pretty pricey to enclose the whole thing. The only issue with running the heat tape is then relying on tenants to plug it in when it will be below freezing (and remembering to unplug when its not).

I've seen it done with a large "Dogloo", and stuff it with insulation. There's also a thing, I've bought 2 or 3, called a freeze cube that you plug your lamp, heat-tape, etc. into, you plug it into an outlet, and it comes on at 40 degrees. I have one on in the home well/pump house. I've tried to catch it on, but haven't been able to, so I can't say whether it really works. I'm in an area that either never gets that cold in a winter, or, the bottom drops out for 3 or 4 days, every few years. bang

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000583 10/06/20 09:13 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You could be like my neighbor and pitch a tent over the whole thing. And put a tarp over his son's convertible Mercedes. And...you can take 'em outa the west...oh, never mind.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 10/06/20 09:14 PM. Reason: misspelled "convertible"

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000646 10/06/20 10:13 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
You could go full redneck like we did at the deer lease. Took an old upright freezer and used a sawzall to cut the back out and remove all of the mechanism. Laid the open side down over the well head and it never froze. Had a handy lid (the old freezer door) that opened up if you needed to get to it. Rattlesnakes liked it in there during the summer because it stayed cool.

You can see it there in it's full glory through the open gate.

[Linked Image]

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8000667 10/06/20 10:36 PM
P
PMK Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
dang, an old chest type freezer with the bottom cut out sounds like a great idea, but I don't think they are made big enough with the slab being 33 inches square ... but then again, the wife would likely poo-poo the appearance.

~PMK~
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8001335 10/07/20 02:33 PM
P
PMK Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
wife came across large style dog houses that might work ... would just require closing in the opening and insulating. now to find one big enough that doesn't break the bank.

She also found a pump house at Ace Hardware that is normally used for swimming pool pumps but the assembly looks like a nightmare and hours of effort (which I might as well make it myself with square tubing and corrugated sheet iron).

~PMK~
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8001362 10/07/20 02:55 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by PMK
wife came across large style dog houses that might work ... would just require closing in the opening and insulating. now to find one big enough that doesn't break the bank.

She also found a pump house at Ace Hardware that is normally used for swimming pool pumps but the assembly looks like a nightmare and hours of effort (which I might as well make it myself with square tubing and corrugated sheet iron).

I would forget about the swimming pool pump.

I did not have electrify until my house was finished. I ran a PVC from my neighbors house and hired the water well out after a year. I finished the job myself after the well man ran water to my new tank.

[Linked Image]

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8001599 10/07/20 06:23 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
[Linked Image]

This is what we use on outside hydrants. When the temperature approaches freezing, the attachment starts dripping allowing water to flow so the pipes don't freeze. I've checked them during the night when the temperature was well below freezing and there was a steady drip. You screw it on like a water hose and turn the hydrant on and leave it turned on. It does not leak during above freezing temperatures. I found these at the local feed store. I bought one and tried it and it worked as advertised so I bought more. It doesn't replace a pump house but it works well on outside hydrants. We have one on a hydrant in our pump house and it worked all last winter.

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8001714 10/07/20 08:25 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
[Linked Image]

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: Ramball36] #8001934 10/07/20 11:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Ramball36
[Linked Image]

For the win!!!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: bill oxner] #8001936 10/07/20 11:30 PM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted by bill oxner

There is generally not a faucet between the well and the tank. Very little pressured in that area. Take a peek at the picture in the OP.

i meant a faucet in the house. if pressure drops the pump comes on and the ground water warms the pipes.

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8001942 10/07/20 11:31 PM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted by PMK
yes, I had thought about building something, either pressure treated wood or even welding up a square tubing metal frame with either siding or sheet metal, then insulated the interior walls/top ... wife says I don't have time for that plus using any type of wood products would just be a temporary fix due to rotting. She is also concerned about appearance, since it will be fairly viewable from the highway and front of the house area. Why she was thinking one of those fiberglass or pre-cast rock looking covers, but finding one large enough to cover that area is not a common size and would be fairly large (and stick out like a sore thumb to me, but my opinion is not the question) ...

no offense but let her do it.

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8003069 10/08/20 09:14 PM
P
PMK Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
bang bang bang after she did all her pricing and searching, she decided that we should build it ourselves. So that is on tap for this coming weekend after a home depot run this evening.

~PMK~
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: PMK] #8003150 10/08/20 10:13 PM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
its all good now!!! yall can make it blend in with the landscape, no prob. paint rocks or weeds or grass on the sides, wont even see from a distance.

Last edited by Poppa; 10/08/20 10:16 PM. Reason: k
Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: bill oxner] #8003183 10/08/20 10:39 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

There is generally not a faucet between the well and the tank.

He's completely wrong, you know. roflmao

Re: Insulated Well pump cover ideas??? [Re: Creekrunner] #8003205 10/08/20 11:02 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

There is generally not a faucet between the well and the tank.

He's completely wrong, you know. roflmao

How does it get its pressure? The one for my pond goes directly to the pond. No pressure to speak of. Here are two pictures. There is a shutoff but no faucet going into the pressure tank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide