Forums46
Topics537,785
Posts9,729,134
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8000290 10/06/20 05:11 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I would guess it was my 3 or 4th trip to Alaska, I made 5 over the years. We were in line at the Airport in Achorage headed back to Houston, I would guess about 1995. I was the first in my group in line. I had a bear hide on ice in a fish box, thats the way we brought hides, capes etc back in a fish box. Out of the 4 of us I think 2 of us had hides with us. One of the other guys left his with a Taxidermist in Anchorage. They are used hunters and guns, at least I thought they were.

My turn to check baggage, lady ask me whats in the box. I said a bear, she gave me a go to h.........ll look let me know what she thought about killing animals grabed her sign and closed her lane. There were two lines, lady in the line beside her closed her line shortly after and told us we shoud have been there earlier. We where there in plenty of time to make the flight. Everybody in our group and several other people behind us missed fights. Cost a pile of money to get another flight out the next day back to Houston.

The only fight back had a lay over in Vegas. One of my buddies said watch this, I am going to win my plane ticket money back. Danged if he didnt come close, he hit slot machine that paid off. I think I lost about 30 bucks.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8000300 10/06/20 05:21 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Something that I have always found a little frustrating is how scope manufacturers never share the details on how they construct their scopes, short of what they share about glass coatings. Unlike other products where information on design and construction helps the buyer decide what product offers the greatest reliability, you have nothing that reflects as to what scope can take a beating more than others.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8000309 10/06/20 05:34 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Within the United States, the current rules are:

1) Gun gets inspected with you present. This should NEVER happen behind closed doors without you there.
2) Once completed the NON-TSA locks get locked back on the case and is NEVER opened again until your destination. You should have a lock for every locking attachment on that gun case. I have 6 secure points on my case so I use 6 keyed locks. TSA strongly recommends non-TSA approved locks so that NO ONE can open it after checking it in.
3) Ammo CAN be either in the original cardboard box or in a plastic box. Ammo cannot be loose or in a baggie. The ammo CAN also be stored inside your gun case with your gun.

These are the rules for flying within the United States.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8000317 10/06/20 05:37 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Saw a Hunting TV show, gal shoot at a big whitetail, bullet hit about 6 feet low. Says someone spun his elevation turret at the airport. Says its happened before>>>

weird

Sounds like she is an idiot who doesn't pack her gun properly, who doesn't know the dope on her rifle, and who stupidly does not check that her rifle is still properly zeroed after shipping, SHIPPING her gun with an airline.

Simply put, had she known the dope on her scope and actually bothered to check, she would have known if it had been turned.

Nothing but laziness on her part across the board.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8000399 10/06/20 06:44 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Was watching a hunting show this weekend (not my favorite cup of tea but it does OK when there is no Ohio St football to watch while at the ranch) and the guy was with an outiftter and they were trying to cull some 8 pt bucks they didn't want out there. Guide sees one, they stop their vehicle, and the guy hands the hunter a rifle, shoot...miss. He turns tot he camera and says something about not being a good shot, shoots again....miss. This time several doe get up and you can clearly see several animals behind the target, third shot....miss. At this opint they realize either this guy six or their dope is off. They never gave a clear indication of range, but it wasn't super far, but enough that some adjustment needed made. Fourth shot, spines the buck and it goes down and starts flopping.

All it did was turn me off something fierce to these kind of shows. What a joke.

I say all that to just say, the OP issue was probably just a crappy shooter. even if TSA spun the turret....and you didn't catch that? Bad hunter in my mind.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Choctaw] #8000425 10/06/20 07:12 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Most people check their rifle's zero after traveling.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8000445 10/06/20 07:31 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Most people check their rifle's zero after traveling.

And this is as much on the guide as it is the hunter.

I understand it's common for guides to ask hunters to take practice shots so they can determine the accuracy of both the hunter and their rifle.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8000704 10/06/20 11:18 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
She’s making an excuse. Makes all of us look bad

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8000753 10/07/20 12:09 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
If she didn't check her zero and zero stop, it is on her

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8001641 10/07/20 07:15 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
A reminder that most of these so-called hunting shows are heavily edited and tend toward the dramatic. 99% of them have the hunter "going out on the last day of the hunt and getting the big buck 10 minutes before sundown" because that always sounds better than "it was a 5 day hunt but we shot our buck on the AM of the 2nd day and then we drank and chilled out for the final 3.5 days"!

Easier to say "someone at the airport spun my turret" than "I whiffed the shot on camera"! smile

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Gringocazador] #8002040 10/08/20 12:35 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Gringocazador
Airports can be hard on gun cases. I was on the plane looking out the window of IAH in Housotn and told hunting partner, look at that. That guys gun barrel is hanging out the end of his gun case. After looking a little closer, that gun case was mine. They banged up my muzzle brake really good and same for the sight on my Ruger Sgl action 44 mag.

Both still shot fine once we made it to Alaska but I worked the Airlines over pretty good. They must have opened my gun case and when they closed it left the barrel hanging out and didn't even have all the latches, latched. I was waving at the guy trying to get his attention.

When we got off the plane in Anchorage, I had baggage poeple with me when it came down the shoot. I said I told you so. At first they didn't belive me but when I told them what are you going to do when all those tree huggers seen that gun barrel hanging out of my gun case.

Needless to say it was the easiest claim in the history of Continental Airlines. I can't remember what they paid me, but I sent them a letter and the list price for a SS blackhawk and copy of the custome rifle that the barrel was hanging out. They cut me a check with in a week or two. I want to say they paid me 1400 dollars which was more than I asked for. I only wanted a new barrel for my ruger pistol and for my gun smith to repalce my muzzle break.

The next year I went Africa, different even better gun case. The baggages handlers in Pretoria must have side swiped a steal post or hit it with a fork lift, or something. Busted one of my locks off. I still have that old gun case, fixed it once I got back. Made quite a few more trips with it. I still have it in the attic.

I have many more airline hunting stories but thats for another post, another day.

Did they let you keep the firearms and get a check?

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: BigPig] #8004897 10/10/20 01:14 PM
JimBridger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I'm calling BS. All firearms on commercial flights have to be in a locked hard-sided case and you must keep the key with you. It must be a real lock too, not some spin combo that can be opened with a good shove. If TSA requests the key to inspect it, you are present until it's locked back up.

Not entirely true. I fly a lot with a pistol. It’s always properly secured in the luggage but everyone I leave a state, that TSA decides they need to inspect the pistol. More often than not this is done behind closed doors while I wait, gun out of sight. They bring me in once the “check” is complete to verify and resecure the weapon.

You need to check with who ever teaches “Flying While Armed” in your agency. Although you are flying as a civilian, TSA should not be given your key or combination, all inspections must be done in your presence with you unlocking and re-locking your gun case. If a TSA agent says otherwise, ask to see the Ground Safety Coordinator

Last edited by Pappybear; 10/10/20 01:31 PM.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: JimBridger] #8004940 10/10/20 02:04 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Pappybear
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I'm calling BS. All firearms on commercial flights have to be in a locked hard-sided case and you must keep the key with you. It must be a real lock too, not some spin combo that can be opened with a good shove. If TSA requests the key to inspect it, you are present until it's locked back up.

Not entirely true. I fly a lot with a pistol. It’s always properly secured in the luggage but everyone I leave a state, that TSA decides they need to inspect the pistol. More often than not this is done behind closed doors while I wait, gun out of sight. They bring me in once the “check” is complete to verify and resecure the weapon.

You need to check with who ever teaches “Flying While Armed” in your agency. Although you are flying as a civilian, TSA should not be given your key or combination, all inspections must be done in your presence with you unlocking and re-locking your gun case. If a TSA agent says otherwise, ask to see the Ground Safety Coordinator

^^^^^Pappybear is 100% correct. That’s what they, TSA, highly recommends flying with NON-TSA approved locks on your gun case. You are the only one with the key and/or combo and you don’t give it to anyone. You do all of the locking and unlocking while in the presence of the firearm. ZERO Exceptions!

Last edited by Theringworm; 10/10/20 02:11 PM.
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8005004 10/10/20 03:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I carry both regular and TSA locks (even though regular locks are the TSA rule).
I put my ammo in separate, checked baggage (even though TSA says it’s OK to go in the gun case).
I remove my bolt and put a cable lock through the breech, and sometimes I even add a trigger lock (even though all of
that is not required).
I don’t argue with airline personnel,TSA agents or customs agents. This is not a wise thing to do, even if you are right. They can seriously inconvenience you. It’s not worth it. I simply try to do whatever they request.
I did ask to speak with a U.S. Customs agent’s supervisor because she was obviously going to delay me so I would miss my flight because she was an anti-hunter. (The supervisor immediately checked me through.)

Always check zero on rifles upon arrival at your destination. Always.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8005027 10/10/20 03:58 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
I carry both regular and TSA locks (even though regular locks are the TSA rule).
I put my ammo in separate, checked baggage (even though TSA says it’s OK to go in the gun case).
I remove my bolt and put a cable lock through the breech, and sometimes I even add a trigger lock (even though all of
that is not required).
I don’t argue with airline personnel,TSA agents or customs agents. This is not a wise thing to do, even if you are right. They can seriously inconvenience you. It’s not worth it. I simply try to do whatever they request.
I did ask to speak with a U.S. Customs agent’s supervisor because she was obviously going to delay me so I would miss my flight because she was an anti-hunter. (The supervisor immediately checked me through.)

Always check zero on rifles upon arrival at your destination. Always.

Well, welcome back to the party!
welcome

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Jgraider] #8005125 10/10/20 05:36 PM
U
UpRound Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
I have experienced all of the above at different airports. Some TSA people do not know or fully understand their own rules, so I carry a copy of the official TSA rules on firearms and ammo inside the gun case. More than once the issue they raised was legal IAW their rules. In JFK airport on our way to South Africa one jerk was about to confiscate our ammo until I showed him the rules. After inspection, I have always been able to lock the gun case in their presence, so it should arrive unmolested. You gotta be smarter than TSA when it comes to flying with firearms/ammo.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8007086 10/12/20 04:12 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I've had the elevation turret spin when pulling the rifle out of a soft case as it rubbed up against the side of the case, I would think it's more likely something like that rather than air port people messing with it, but most dialing turrets have zero stops, and why would you not double check to make sure it was at zero.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8007351 10/12/20 07:34 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Highly doubt anyone spun her turret's. But.... there is a reason they call baggage handlers "bag apes" in the airline business. Suitcases get treated like crap. Rifle cases take a whole additional level of abuse because they don't neatly fit into the baggage cars or luggage bays or conveyor systems. If you check your rifle on ANY plane trip do so expecting it to get tossed like a rag doll into a brick wall multiple times on the journey. And you're a simpleton if you don't check your zero on arrival.

Side note... my outfitter in Africa advises his clients to just rent rifles from him. Partly because of the cost and hassle to get them there, and also because of the stupid number of expensive guns he's seen arrive broken.

Just my .02 cents. 2cents

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: dkershen] #8007491 10/12/20 09:35 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by dkershen
Highly doubt anyone spun her turret's. But.... there is a reason they call baggage handlers "bag apes" in the airline business. Suitcases get treated like crap. Rifle cases take a whole additional level of abuse because they don't neatly fit into the baggage cars or luggage bays or conveyor systems. If you check your rifle on ANY plane trip do so expecting it to get tossed like a rag doll into a brick wall multiple times on the journey. And you're a simpleton if you don't check your zero on arrival.

Just my .02 cents. 2cents

This is why I have never checked a gun.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8008420 10/13/20 05:49 PM
G
Gillettehunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
I have flown a bit with firearms. First you ALWAYS check your zero after arriving. The soft case can grab turrets. I had this also happen with a scabbard on a horseback hunt........ When I have flown with a rifle TSA usually makes me stand outside of the room that they are inspecting the rifle in. You can watch, but you are 8-15 feet away. That seems to be the way they always do it in Denver.
TSA allows ammo to be in the same case as your rifle. Each airline has their own regulations about that. They also enforce it. Most US airlines want it in a different bag and packed so they aren't touching or rolling around. Get to Africa and SAA wants ammo in its own box. They will make you take it out and ship it in a box by itself. So you just have to plan ahead for that to happen.
Bruce

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide