Page 1 of 2 1 2
Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! #7999354 10/05/20 09:36 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Saw a Hunting TV show, gal shoot at a big whitetail, bullet hit about 6 feet low. Says someone spun his elevation turret at the airport. Says its happened before>>>

weird

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999361 10/05/20 09:40 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Once they close the door and do their TSA BS all bets are off. Sad someone would do that.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999368 10/05/20 09:42 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Most people check their rifle's zero after traveling.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999371 10/05/20 09:44 PM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
leaving for Kansas tomorrow flying out of DFW, did not trust DFW with my Citori to make it there . sent it with Texas Lefty instead! back

PS " Check your Zero stop" bolt

Last edited by hetman; 10/05/20 09:46 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999376 10/05/20 09:47 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
You have to lock and check a hard case when flying with a gun. I don't see how they could tamper with it unless they cut the lock off.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: BassBuster1] #7999389 10/05/20 09:54 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BassBuster1
You have to lock and check a hard case when flying with a gun. I don't see how they could tamper with it unless they cut the lock off.

What he said.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999390 10/05/20 09:55 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I'm calling BS. All firearms on commercial flights have to be in a locked hard-sided case and you must keep the key with you. It must be a real lock too, not some spin combo that can be opened with a good shove. If TSA requests the key to inspect it, you are present until it's locked back up.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999392 10/05/20 09:57 PM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Airports are ruff on luggage. You would be a fool to take a trip on an airline and then take a rifle out to hunt without verifying zero. After a few long trips on airlines my hard gun case looks twenty plus years old.

Last edited by elkhunter7x6; 10/05/20 09:58 PM.
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: ntxtrapper] #7999409 10/05/20 10:11 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I'm calling BS. All firearms on commercial flights have to be in a locked hard-sided case and you must keep the key with you. It must be a real lock too, not some spin combo that can be opened with a good shove. If TSA requests the key to inspect it, you are present until it's locked back up.

Once it's inspected (with you present), it's locked back up and is never opened or inspected again. Plus, from there, it gets hand carried to the airline.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: ntxtrapper] #7999436 10/05/20 10:32 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Yep, and the last two times I travelled with a rifle they didn't even have me open the case to check it. I do know the airline employees tend to treat your stuff like garbage. I was sitting on the plane and watched a baggage loader slam my rifle case on the conveyor like he was practicing for a WWE match. My first thought was to come through that little window and pull his *** through his throat. My second thought is that's why I bought a quality case for it.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: ntxtrapper] #7999452 10/05/20 10:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

So you mean I didn’t have to remove my real locks and buy TSA approved combo locks(that they can back door)?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7999460 10/05/20 10:51 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

So you mean I didn’t have to remove my real locks and buy TSA approved combo locks(that they can back door)?

"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7999478 10/05/20 11:06 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

TSA approved locks are for your regular checked baggage.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: ntxtrapper] #7999480 10/05/20 11:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Them bas’ made me change them, But might of been the airline, but regardless I had to change them. Buddy had two extra so I lucked out

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Grizz] #7999525 10/05/20 11:29 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Grizz

Yep, and the last two times I travelled with a rifle they didn't even have me open the case to check it. I do know the airline employees tend to treat your stuff like garbage. I was sitting on the plane and watched a baggage loader slam my rifle case on the conveyor like he was practicing for a WWE match. My first thought was to come through that little window and pull his *** through his throat. My second thought is that's why I bought a quality case for it.

I can only imagine how they are treated inside the terminal where no one can watch.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999577 10/06/20 12:03 AM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Who on earth travels a long distance with a rifle and doesn’t check zero upon arrival? Regardless what did or did not happen at the airport, that is stupidity.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Adchunts] #7999626 10/06/20 12:26 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Adchunts
Who on earth travels a long distance with a rifle and doesn’t check zero upon arrival? Regardless what did or did not happen at the airport, that is stupidity.

yep

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: ntxtrapper] #7999637 10/06/20 12:34 AM
J
JRSUSMC94 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J

Back a few years ago I was traveling with an M1 Garand between duty stations. TSA told me they would have to inspect the rifle. They performed the inspection in a locked room, and I wasn't allowed to be there. I wasn't too happy. They took a while, numbnuts probably couldn't figure out how to work the action.

Regardless, thats only happened to me once in the dozens of times I've flown with a firearm, and it's always smart to check your zero.

Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999796 10/06/20 03:14 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Airports can be hard on gun cases. I was on the plane looking out the window of IAH in Housotn and told hunting partner, look at that. That guys gun barrel is hanging out the end of his gun case. After looking a little closer, that gun case was mine. They banged up my muzzle brake really good and same for the sight on my Ruger Sgl action 44 mag.

Both still shot fine once we made it to Alaska but I worked the Airlines over pretty good. They must have opened my gun case and when they closed it left the barrel hanging out and didn't even have all the latches, latched. I was waving at the guy trying to get his attention.

When we got off the plane in Anchorage, I had baggage poeple with me when it came down the shoot. I said I told you so. At first they didn't belive me but when I told them what are you going to do when all those tree huggers seen that gun barrel hanging out of my gun case.

Needless to say it was the easiest claim in the history of Continental Airlines. I can't remember what they paid me, but I sent them a letter and the list price for a SS blackhawk and copy of the custome rifle that the barrel was hanging out. They cut me a check with in a week or two. I want to say they paid me 1400 dollars which was more than I asked for. I only wanted a new barrel for my ruger pistol and for my gun smith to repalce my muzzle break.

The next year I went Africa, different even better gun case. The baggages handlers in Pretoria must have side swiped a steal post or hit it with a fork lift, or something. Busted one of my locks off. I still have that old gun case, fixed it once I got back. Made quite a few more trips with it. I still have it in the attic.

I have many more airline hunting stories but thats for another post, another day.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: ntxtrapper] #7999844 10/06/20 04:45 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

Not entirely true. I fly a lot with a pistol. It’s always properly secured in the luggage but everyone I leave a state, that TSA decides they need to inspect the pistol. More often than not this is done behind closed doors while I wait, gun out of sight. They bring me in once the “check” is complete to verify and resecure the weapon.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999845 10/06/20 04:50 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Just because something is stated on a TSA or airlines page doesn’t mean they actually adhere to that or can’t make it more strict. We were flying back from Costa Rica a few years ago. We bought some alcohol in the duty free store after we had passed through security in CR. We landed in Houston and had to go through customs there. Well Houston airport SUCKS and after customs we had to exit the airport and re-enter including going through security again to catch our connecting flight to DFW. Well the liquor got hit and they said we had to leave it behind. This didn’t sit well with my wife and she told TSA their rules and how to do their job. After a few minutes of multiple TSA agents and supervisors discussing the issue they bowed down to her and let her take her liquors through security.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999949 10/06/20 11:58 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
All my airline issues were in mid 90s, we didn't have TSA locks back then.

The other issue would be one Airport wanted bullets in a gun case, other where you landed wanted them in checked baggage. They also would not allow bullets to be in hard plastic cases, had to be in cardboard, with bullets seperated by cardboard. So we would slip the our plastic relaod boxes inside the original cardboard. Many would make own labels for bullet boxes for reloads to make them look factory.

I'm 64 and done with all my tourist hunting. I haven't been on a plane with a firearm in years and don't intend too. Heck I don't even fly with job anymore which is fine by me.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #7999952 10/06/20 12:02 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
After I lock the case I wrap duct tape around the case in two spots and take a picture.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Jimbo1] #7999958 10/06/20 12:08 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Once it's inspected (with you present), it's locked back up and is never opened or inspected again. Plus, from there, it gets hand carried to the airline.

Exactly

But more importantly, why in the hell would you shoot at an animal before shooting paper with it once you've arrived at your hunt?!!!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Airports messing with peoples rifles??!! [Re: Buzzsaw] #8000057 10/06/20 01:37 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Ive been to Africa 5 times and Sonora, MX twice. Every time when checking in at airport, TSA had me open the case (non TSA locks) and inspect everything. They shut it, I locked it, and it remained that way to final destination. There have been a couple of times where airline employees don't know their own rules as well. I always have the bolt removed inside the case so it's easier for these employees to see the gun is unloaded. Ammo was in a separate hard container with TSA locks on it, inside of checked baggage.

I have never not confirmed zero at hunting camp, and any good outfitter should insist on it as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide