Page 1 of 2 1 2
South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? #7997463 10/04/20 03:11 AM
S
scot Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Going down South of San Antonio later this year to hunt my brother in laws place. The whole place is setup similar to the picture below. Bulldozed lanes and then stuff so thick you can’t possibly walk through it. In the past I’ve only taken doe so I’ve taken head shots. This year I may have the opportunity to shoot a buck so I want to be sure if I get the opportunity I don’t lose a buck the buck to the brush.

Only rifle I have is a .308. Extremely accurate with match ammo but have any actual hunting loads I can use. Amax and FGMM have been fine when taking head shots. Would you focus on a shoulder shot with a bonded type hunting round(which of course are extremely difficult to come by) or a neck shot? Upper or lower neck? What is your point of aim? Or buy a 300wm or .338 Lapua and leave no doubts? My brother in law swears by his .270 wsm and I’ve seen him take a number of deer and none have made it out of the shooting lanes. Does the .270 mag really hit that much harder?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

[Linked Image]

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7997484 10/04/20 03:30 AM
E
ErikL Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
.270 fine for south texas deer

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: ErikL] #7997498 10/04/20 03:46 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
308 you have is good, just get a good hunting bullet. Personally I would never ever shoot a buck in the neck. Shoulder or behind it but I’m sure others will elaborate on placement.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7997502 10/04/20 03:48 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
.308 is fine. High shoulder shot will anchor them

I can’t speak to match bullets but a regular soft point will be fine

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7997524 10/04/20 04:48 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If you shoot a deer in the center of the neck it makes no difference what you shoot it with.

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: freerange] #7997531 10/04/20 04:59 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by freerange
308 you have is good, just get a good hunting bullet. Personally I would never ever shoot a buck in the neck. Shoulder or behind it but I’m sure others will elaborate on placement.

In the brush country, never ever shoot a buck in the shoulder or behind it. Unless you like tracking and losing bucks.

Shoot them at the base of the NECK or high shoulder. They drop and don’t get up.

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7997691 10/04/20 01:46 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Mid/High frontal shoulder to anchor. .308 is more than sufficient for WT.

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7997734 10/04/20 02:26 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
When I hunt South Texas I'm hunting horns, so my aiming point is high shoulder. I use a .270 Win & 130 gr SP. They drop DRT . Your .308 will work fine with any good deer bullet of 150 gr or heavier.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7997743 10/04/20 02:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have killed a lot of deer in South Texas with .270 and 130 grain Remington Core-Lokt. You can shoot them thru the shoulders if you can break both shoulders they can not run...but you have to break both shoulders. I prefer a high shoulder/point of the shoulder/neck meets the shoulder shot. Last few years I have been using a Suppressed Remington .308 with Hornady SST provided by one of the ranches I get to hunt on.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: stxranchman] #7997786 10/04/20 03:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I have killed a lot of deer in South Texas with .270 and 130 grain Remington Core-Lokt. You can shoot them thru the shoulders if you can break both shoulders they can not run...but you have to break both shoulders. I prefer a high shoulder/point of the shoulder/neck meets the shoulder shot. Last few years I have been using a Suppressed Remington .308 with Hornady SST provided by one of the ranches I get to hunt on.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7997802 10/04/20 03:34 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by stxranchman
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This

I like that spot, and this: [Linked Image]
You get Circulatory and nervous system with a wound channel here. This is the rear legs fold up buck straight down shot for me.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 10/04/20 03:37 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7998149 10/04/20 10:38 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
308 has taken many a whitetail...Shot placement is the ticket

But nothing wrong with buying more guns. Me personally, I like the 7 mag. cheers

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7998532 10/05/20 03:12 AM
G
Gw123 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
I like straight up the leg bone and high. Where the shoulder blade, spine, and lungs all meet. Most of the time it folds deer up. There isn’t much blood trail to follow shooting that high though. Your 308 with a good hunting bullet will work just fine. Good luck

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7998669 10/05/20 12:12 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Nice pictures STXRM, they will benefit many. The 308 is one of my favorites, hunted STX since the '60s with one. I favor the old school Rem Core-Lokt.

I'm a handloader and ran out of the Rem way back. Fortunately, Black Hills Shooting Supplies (a distrubtor) is doing something with Rem and many of the old favorites are now available again through their dealers. Fortunately, the various inventories where not favored by the "defense" shooters and have been avialable. As hunting season approaches, the inventories of these hunting bullets seem to be drying up. I use Duck Creek Sporting Goods website. I found a lot of bullets this year that I've really missed in the Core-Lokt line especially for my 25-20 Win and Rem 600 35 Rem.

For the OP, I would be sure the rifle and you are up to the task. I sure would spend some range time shooting at the distance you expect.

[Linked Image]
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7998706 10/05/20 01:01 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Extremely accurate 308. You’re good. Put it where ^^^^ they say to.

I’m a 270win/core-lokt guy too but 3250fps 150gr will put a hurtin’ on em from a WSM. I’d still rather have the confidence you have in your 308 though

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7998710 10/05/20 01:05 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
At what point in time did the bucks in South Texas become super indestructible creatures that required safari rifles to make a clean kill?

The biggest South Texas Whitetail isn't close to a Corn Fed Illinois buck or a Saskatchewan bruiser in size.

The .308 is one of the most used rounds in South Africa and their brush is just as thick and nasty as ours and their animals quite a bit tougher than a whitetail.

Use enough gun, but past that its about putting the round where it needs to go

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: pertnear] #7998713 10/05/20 01:09 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by pertnear
When I hunt South Texas I'm hunting horns, so my aiming point is high shoulder. I use a .270 Win & 130 gr SP. They drop DRT . Your .308 will work fine with any good deer bullet of 150 gr or heavier.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I load 150gr Sierra KG for my 308 heavy barrel savage and I promise there is not a deer in S TX it will not smoke out to 400 yards given a good anchored up rest!!

I've killed big bodied S TX deer with it with shoulder shots and they don't make it 30 yards...even those that are well north of 200 lbs live weight.

If your 308 shoots match bullets like a tack driver, just build a load for it with good hunting bullets and it'll do exactly the same thing!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7998883 10/05/20 03:46 PM
P
Panhandler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
High shoulder shot with 150gr SST through my .308 anchors them just fine

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: txtrophy85] #7999138 10/05/20 07:05 PM
S
scot Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
At what point in time did the bucks in South Texas become super indestructible creatures that required safari rifles to make a clean kill?

The biggest South Texas Whitetail isn't close to a Corn Fed Illinois buck or a Saskatchewan bruiser in size.

The .308 is one of the most used rounds in South Africa and their brush is just as thick and nasty as ours and their animals quite a bit tougher than a whitetail.

While some went that direction, this thread was never about can a .308 kill a deer. Rather, how do you keep a buck from getting out of a shooting lane. If a deer gets even 20-30 yards out of the lane they would be essentially unrecoverable. The reason I even mentioned about caliber was in wondering if it would have a significant chance to improve the ability for a DRT

The high shoulder shot/spine shot will address what I need and have faith the .308 will get it done.

Some people still appear to be trying to take a shoulder and lung shot “5 inches from top of back” is this as reliable as getting the spin when you hit the shoulder extremely high?

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7999159 10/05/20 07:34 PM
H
HWY72 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by scot

While some went that direction, this thread was never about can a .308 kill a deer. Rather, how do you keep a buck from getting out of a shooting lane. If a deer gets even 20-30 yards out of the lane they would be essentially unrecoverable. The reason I even mentioned about caliber was in wondering if it would have a significant chance to improve the ability for a DRT

The high shoulder shot/spine shot will address what I need and have faith the .308 will get it done.

Some people still appear to be trying to take a shoulder and lung shot “5 inches from top of back” is this as reliable as getting the spin when you hit the shoulder extremely high?

There are definitely some places in S TX that so thick they are not easily navigated on foot, I've got a couple areas like that on my little place, but saying a deer is unrecoverable 20-30 yards off a sendero?

Maybe your BIL is yanking your chain a little. I think you'll be fine with any of heart, lung, high shoulder shot. A hunter unwilling to retrieve a downed deer 20-30 yards away through thick brush or a mesquite flat, well, that's completely different situation.

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7999164 10/05/20 07:40 PM
B
BassBuster1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
That shot 5" down from the top of the back right on the point of the shoulder will drop them in their tracks! I shoot a 30-06 with Hornady Whitetail ammo. The deer I have shot over the last few years have dropped with the exception of one who went 30 yards with his heart blown out of a fist sized exit wound in his brisket. The others have been one neck shot, one high shoulder, and one right behind the front shoulder, 110 yard average shot all dropped in their tracks.

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: HWY72] #7999258 10/05/20 08:48 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by HWY72
Originally Posted by scot

There are definitely some places in S TX that so thick they are not easily navigated on foot, I've got a couple areas like that on my little place, but saying a deer is unrecoverable 20-30 yards off a sendero?

Maybe your BIL is yanking your chain a little. I think you'll be fine with any of heart, lung, high shoulder shot. A hunter unwilling to retrieve a downed deer 20-30 yards away through thick brush or a mesquite flat, well, that's completely different situation.

I was thinking the exact same thing HWY72.
Hell, I've come out of the brush with thorns literally in every damn part of my body. Several times the only way through the black brush was on hands and knees navigating hog trails!

I think the bottom line here is if you want to anchor a deer in his tracks you break his spine somewhere. That said, it leaves very, very little room for error and if you make that error there's a good chance of never recovering that animal and having him/her die an awful death.

I've never been an enthusiast of neck or spine shots for that exact reason. Quartering away and send one right behind the shoulder or quartering to with one right in the point of the shoulder and I get a knockdown 90% or more of the time and 100% of the time I hit vitals with that shot and the animal rarely goes more than 30 yards even if he does get up after knocking him down. Hell, I get more sausage meat of the thick neck of a big buck than I do off the one shoulder that is basically ruined anyway. lol

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7999312 10/05/20 09:16 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Ain't buying the 30 yard thing anywhere in South Texas, but it should always be your goal to plant them right there. Quartering away, right behind the shoulder and directly in to the one opposite.

Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7999343 10/05/20 09:28 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Hunt the south texas thorns described above. It may not be as much fun to track one through the brush but its surely doable.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: South Texas Mesquite Flats(Shot Placement/Caliber)? [Re: scot] #7999649 10/06/20 12:43 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
my kids killed them with a 243 in south texas, pretty sure you can do it with a 308

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide