Print Thread
DIY Pen Trap, Questions #7997188 10/03/20 09:45 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Small traps are useless on our place, the hogs simply will not go in them. So I'm thinking about setting up a pen trap after deer season this year. Our property is seriously overrun with the dang things and shooting them is fighting the proverbial losing battle.

The way I have it on paper at the moment it is octagon shaped, and about 34' across.

Thinking either 34" tall hog panels, or 50" tall cattle panels with a additional smaller wire down low so the young'uns can't escape. Not sure if the 50" height of a cattle panel is necessary, or will the 34" height of a hog panel suffice? Don't want them getting all parkour on me and escaping.

Looking at a 6' wide drop gate, activated via remote using a door magnetic lock assembly. It wouldn't be cellular, but capable of remote activation up to 50yds away. There's a few different reasons for me not to use a cell activated system.

I pretty much have it planned out on building the gate setup, and erecting the pen is fairly planned out as well. I will set some additional posts outside and have panels pre-made to slap them up and make a loading chute too.

Main question I have is, do these traps need to be moved often?

I have a particular spot on our property where I would like to put it, and not have to be moving it around. Ours is a fairly small place anyway, 100acres total, so it's not like moving it would be targeting different sounders or anything. Right now the best I can tell from cams is we have about 3, maybe 4, sounders scavenging our place almost daily. As more deer feeders got cranked up this summer in preparation for season, more pigs just keep flooding in. So a more comprehensive solution is needed. If loading them up instead of killing them in the trap, is there any reason other sounders would get trap-shy like they all obviously have with smaller traps?

Thanks for any advice you might offer on the subject.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: DIY Pen Trap, Questions [Re: psycho0819] #7997262 10/03/20 11:19 PM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
The 50" panels would be your best bet. Larger hogs can clear a lot higher than a guy would expect. I have a large round trap set up with panels, and have actually watched a 200 pounder go over the top....so I set it up with taller panels. I have had mine in the same place for years now, and there just seems to be times when it is still active. The most I have caught at one time is 22....that really took me some time to remove all the hind legs, skin them out, put in separate zip lock bags and into the freezer. I give the legs away to friends and sometimes end up with quite a few in a freezer at one time.

Re: DIY Pen Trap, Questions [Re: psycho0819] #7997280 10/03/20 11:38 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
While a 34" panel will usually keep hogs OUT of an area (like your deer feeder) they won't keep them IN a trap. I think 48-50" is pretty much required.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: DIY Pen Trap, Questions [Re: der Teufel] #7997381 10/04/20 01:30 AM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Me and ol' Pig Popper made one on a previous lease, using a saloon-door rig. Had plenty of panels, so jumpers weren't going anywhere.
Once you build it, I'd lock it open and bait heavily so they have a week or two to get used to free lunch. A game cam will tell ya what's going on.
Then, set the gate to trigger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: DIY Pen Trap, Questions [Re: psycho0819] #8000893 10/07/20 02:20 AM
H
Homer75 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I'm in the process of building my corral trap. I'm using 50" x 16' panels from TSC, $22 ea and went with 1" square tubing for the frame. I'm cutting the panels in half and framing each 8' section with a center bar in the middle of the panel. I just ordered a saloon style trap door from Boss Hog, I'm like yourself, over run with pigs and shooting them is almost worthless. In the end, I'll have twelve 8' sections with a door and later I may add a loading door to move them alive to the buyer.

Re: DIY Pen Trap, Questions [Re: psycho0819] #8000950 10/07/20 03:08 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
This trap is 4ft tall (I have two of them) and no pig has ever jumped out. It is 8ft x 9ft (the gate section is a foot deep), the door is a full 8 ft wide, 4 ft tall. I keep a game camera on the trap, only little ones running in and out of the bottom holes is the only pigs that ever got out. I fixed that with smaller mesh.
The double upper rail stops the climbing, they fall right back in. I have had many jump and get their front feet over the rail, but they fall back in because they cannot climb with their rear legs dangling in the air.
The trap comes in pieces and stacks in the back of the truck like plywood. U bolts hold the corners together.
Deer hop right out.
Homer75, this is 1" square tubing. I made the trap about 10 years ago and have caught 100s of pigs. Several 200+ pounders, it has held up well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: DIY Pen Trap, Questions [Re: psycho0819] #8001209 10/07/20 01:03 PM
H
Homer75 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Simple, your panels are exactly what I did except I put the shorter holes on the bottom of the panels. I like the idea of your top rail, nothing gets your blood pumping like a rank boar trying to jump over the rail at you when your not watching.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide