Print Thread
The Big Green Machine goes small ball. . . #7996065 10/02/20 08:09 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Under New Management: Remington Rebooted?
Posted by Vizardsgunsandammo.com on 2nd Oct 2020

With the smoke clearing from Remington's Chapter 11 bankruptcy sale this week, signs point to a reorganization of "Big Green" to a leaner company, focused on its roots.
With a history that goes back to 1816, Remington is regarded as the oldest remaining firearms company in the U.S., formed at a time when the young country held just 18 states. Over the past two decades, under a family of brands gathered at the time under the Freedom Group, Remington was the flagship of with a growing flotilla of gun and firearm accessory companies including Barnes Bullets, Bushmaster, Dakota Arms, DPMS, Marlin, Panther Arms, Para-Ordnance, TAPCO, AAC Suppressors, Stormlake Barrels and others.
Now, with its ammunition businesses going to Vista-- who owns CCI and Federal-- and Sierra, Marlin going to Ruger, and just about everything else bought by Franklin Armory, Sportsman's Warehouse, and the holding company that owns Palmetto State Armory, only a diminished core of the pre-2006 Remington endures under the smaller green banner.
That core, to include traditional Remington-branded long guns, shotguns, pistols, as well as the firearms manufacturing facilities in Ilion, New York, and Lenoir, Tennessee, along with the company's museum, and gift shop, went to Roundhill Group LLC, the high bidder at $13 million.
"Our intent with this acquisition is to return the company to its traditional place as an iconic American hunting brand" -- Jeff Edwards, Roundhill Group.

Roundhill, an investment company with headquarters in Pennsylvania and Florida, formed from a "group of experienced firearms manufacturing and hunting industry professionals" released a statement Wednesday announcing they wanted to make Remington, long-suffering from declining sales and somewhat hit-and-miss PR in the gun community, into something to be proud of once again.
"Our intent with this acquisition is to return the company to its traditional place as an iconic American hunting brand," said Edwards. "We intend to maintain, care for, and nurture the brand and all of the dedicated employees who have crafted these products over the years for outdoorsmen and women both here in the USA and abroad. More than anything, we want to make Remington a household name that is spoken with pride."
With Roundhill reportedly having no other real estate holdings, and custody of Remington's huge Huntsville, Alabama plant reverting to the city which holds a $12.5 million mortgage on it, the company is looking to keep making guns at the historic plant in upper New York's Mohawk Valley. There, according to local reports, some 700 workers were furloughed last week until further notice, pending the outcome of the sale.
New York State Senator James L. Seward (R/C/I – Oneonta), said he spoke with Roundhill and found the gun maker's new owners, "committed to restoring the Remington name and continuing the firearm manufacturer’s longstanding tradition of quality craftsmanship."
Seward said the plant could soon be humming again, possibly before Christmas. "Within 30 to 60 days an initial recall of 200 workers is expected, and I would anticipate additional growth shortly thereafter," he said.
As for now, Billy Hogue, Remington’s vice president of operations, told the (Utica) Times Telegram on Thursday morning that, “There are things to still get sorted out,” and that “It’s going to take some time.”

Reference:

Guns.com

Re: The Big Green Machine goes small ball. . . [Re: mikei] #7996152 10/02/20 09:26 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Love to hear they are going back to their heritage vs trying to be Sig and get government contracts.

Re: The Big Green Machine goes small ball. . . [Re: mikei] #7996202 10/02/20 10:00 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I hope they can turn it around like Winchester and Savage did.

Would really like to be confident in buying a Remington firearm its going to do what I need it to do.

[Linked Image]
Re: The Big Green Machine goes small ball. . . [Re: mikei] #7996321 10/02/20 11:52 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Remington got too big, ignored problems and general customer service was lacking. Perhaps with a smaller Remington they can get it going again and fix the dang trigger or just use one of the good aftermarket ones for the 700. Several issues I have seen would have no doubt been caught if they just test fired the rifles before leaving the company.

Has anyone bought Dakota? They have made some fine rifles over the years.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: The Big Green Machine goes small ball. . . [Re: kmon11] #7996372 10/03/20 12:28 AM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted by kmon1
Perhaps with a smaller Remington they can get it going again and fix the dang trigger or just use one of the good aftermarket ones for the 700.

Remington could make some awesome rifles just using aftermarket parts!

Re: The Big Green Machine goes small ball. . . [Re: mikei] #7996440 10/03/20 01:22 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Outdoorsmen have looooong memories and its going to take a miracle to bring Remington back to what it used to be. Even if they can produce the quality they use to its still a uphill battle to bring back their customers who have watched the most respected name in the woods crumble to pieces. Seeing what happened to them mirrors what happened to OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) on the fishing side. They never recovered and now both are gone. Sadly I expect Remington to suffer the same fate. Hopefully other gun makers are taking notes.

Re: The Big Green Machine goes small ball. . . [Re: mikei] #7996581 10/03/20 02:54 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Remington is a little different. We are talking about a 200 year old American gun company. Sportsman will come back once they start producing quality firearms again.

Re: The Big Green Machine goes small ball. . . [Re: mikei] #7996683 10/03/20 10:48 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The good about the 700 is that there's every aftermarket part you could want. In custom stocks it's the easiest footprint to get. They better address the trigger first. The bad about the 700 is that they got left behind by other manufacturers. I hate a Rem 700 bolt release, there's lots of other manufacturers that make a better one. Bolt throw being 90°, we now have some more ergonomic options, even from Ruger. And the clip style extractor can be built better, we also have some better options from other manufacturers. I like the long actions to build from, but a rifle as a whole, I have no use for one. I agree it will be an uphill battle, and I hope they do well.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide