H
Bug eyes is right!

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7992133 09/29/20 03:30 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I recognize that voice...TBH legend right there!

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7993331 09/30/20 01:18 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Closer to 220 I'm guessing.

I'm also guessing he doesn't stay in that area a good part of the year and he is shedding his horns a mile or more away and that is why he cannot find them.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7993611 09/30/20 05:14 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If I remember this guy correctly, he owns a HF ranch/farm in louisiana. So it is possible the buck sheds one place, moves into his summer range, but moves somewhere during the winter that is inaccessible, but unlikely it is a mile or further away.

If this is rusty/el gato, he has a primo set up with great food plots and native forbs. He has worked hard to get where he is at, pumped a lot fo money into it and has no real job (for which he openly admits he is lucky to have the ability to do what he does), so he has lots of time to devote to his hobby/lifestyle. If that is the voice i am hearing.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 09/30/20 05:15 PM.
Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7994239 10/01/20 05:36 AM
H
HS2 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I asked him on YouTube, and he said he had “a tad over 1000 acres.”

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7994353 10/01/20 12:17 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
If I remember this guy correctly, he owns a HF ranch/farm in louisiana. So it is possible the buck sheds one place, moves into his summer range, but moves somewhere during the winter that is inaccessible, but unlikely it is a mile or further away.

If this is rusty/el gato, he has a primo set up with great food plots and native forbs. He has worked hard to get where he is at, pumped a lot fo money into it and has no real job (for which he openly admits he is lucky to have the ability to do what he does), so he has lots of time to devote to his hobby/lifestyle. If that is the voice i am hearing.

Could I ask why it is unlikely.
I guided quite a bit on a place that was about 3500 acres and was L shaped so from one corner of the ranch to the other farthest corner was about 5 miles. It was not at all uncommon to see a buck that spent the spring, summer and early fall at one spot and then be 3 or 4 miles away during the deer season.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7995038 10/01/20 10:31 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

I guided quite a bit on a place that was about 3500 acres and was L shaped so from one corner of the ranch to the other farthest corner was about 5 miles. It was not at all uncommon to see a buck that spent the spring, summer and early fall at one spot and then be 3 or 4 miles away during the deer season.

HF, a tad over 1000 acres. It could be a mile or so, but not much more than that. And that would be from fence to fence. Unlikely a deer is moving into a corner of a HF and going to the other corner right up next to the fence. If weird shaped HF maybe more likely. I will give you that.

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7995229 10/02/20 01:23 AM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
clap

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7995497 10/02/20 01:00 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

HF, a tad over 1000 acres. It could be a mile or so, but not much more than that. And that would be from fence to fence. Unlikely a deer is moving into a corner of a HF and going to the other corner right up next to the fence. If weird shaped HF maybe more likely. I will give you that.

Yes sir, very true. If the place is square than it would be about 1.3 miles between paralleling fence lines.

So, assuming the 1,000 acres is square, it would actually be 1.8 miles from corner to corner diagonally across the ranch.

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7995566 10/02/20 02:06 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yes sir, very true. If the place is square than it would be about 1.3 miles between paralleling fence lines.

So, assuming the 1,000 acres is square, it would actually be 1.8 miles from corner to corner diagonally across the ranch.

Lot of areas in Texas and other states are not cut up in sections like in the midwest. Many are not just a rectangle or square shape either. It could be a place 1/2 mile wide and little over 3 miles long in a rectangle shape. IIRC the Somberito Ranch in South Texas is about 2 miles wide and almost 10 miles long.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7995607 10/02/20 02:43 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The video is made by a dude who can teach a lot about food plotting and philosophy of food plots/soil nutrition. He does live in an area that is slightly more wet than south texas though. So I don't know that his principals apply to all of us. Seems many of our issues are timely rain, we get rain in droves when we don't need it and when we do need it it is scant or absent.

Anyway, he raises big deer and has lots of food plot info available on the TBH forum, and on his youtube channel.

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7995631 10/02/20 02:59 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If it rained that much in South Texas....South Texas landscape and habitat would be vastly different. It would be amazing to see how those genetics would look with that much moisture. Tecomate has done some amazing things with their food plot systems in that low rainfall area of the state. Google Campos Viejos Ranch if you want to see what 100% native Texas genetics and Tecomate food plot system can do for whitetails in the dry arid part of South Texas. It takes major farming skills and equipment but it can be done even in South Texas if you have the resources to do it. The $ky is the limit.

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7995671 10/02/20 03:17 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
What a Stud regardless of what kind of fence is there up

texas flag

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: stxranchman] #7995688 10/02/20 03:30 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by stxranchman
If it rained that much in South Texas....South Texas landscape and habitat would be vastly different. It would be amazing to see how those genetics would look with that much moisture. Tecomate has done some amazing things with their food plot systems in that low rainfall area of the state. Google Campos Viejos Ranch if you want to see what 100% native Texas genetics and Tecomate food plot system can do for whitetails in the dry arid part of South Texas. It takes major farming skills and equipment but it can be done even in South Texas if you have the resources to do it. The $ky is the limit.

Exactly right
Big money for equipment, water wells, irrigation, and some good farming skills can and does produce some unbelievable results in S & W Texas.
Hell, look at what Maverick county produces on such little rainfall with straight native genetics! Simply amazing.

I talked to a good buddy that lives in central Alabama just the other day and they are pushing 100" of rain for the year there already. I've had a little over 20" and half of that came in two rains which is no Bueno por nada!

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: Stub] #7995689 10/02/20 03:31 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Stub
What a Stud regardless of what kind of fence is there up

AMEN!!!

Flat out amazing animal

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: stxranchman] #7995742 10/02/20 03:59 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

For sure, there can be really good work done on native genetics and proper nutrition, even in south Texas.
I think I failed to mention in my most recent post, alluded to it in my first post, the guy who made the video pretty much has the sky as a limit with regard to his time and monetary ability. That’s a big thing. Most of us don’t have the time or money to make a perfect place. For those that do, great things can happen.

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7995923 10/02/20 06:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
A thought on bucks travel patterns and distances. Back in the early 90's I went to Dr. Kroll Boot Camp were we spent a week in the field of learning his research and knowledge of whitetail and management. He told the group that they had tagged/collared some East Texas buck and followed their movements, especially during the rut. Several miles was common and they had one buck that went 21 miles...14 one direction then a 90 degree turn for 7 more. He did this routine for several years and even crossed a river at flood stage one of those years. He was the one that went the greatest distance and returned back to his home range every year. A ranch I was on last fall had a group of bucks move from their home feeder/range in Sept and move south for 3.5 miles as the crow flies to a different feeder. They stayed around that feeder for 2 or 3 days and then returned back home. All documented by trail cameras. This ranch is HF and has been for a long time. Same ranch had a buck back in the late 90's or early 2000's that I found on trail cameras one night at 4 different feeders on the Friday night before opening morning. He made that feeder run in about 4 hrs and was killed at daylight at the first one he started at. He covered about 1000 acres that night and that areas was about 1.5 miles wide on the south end and about a mile to the feeder to the north.

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: stxranchman] #7995956 10/02/20 06:24 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
A thought on bucks travel patterns and distances. Back in the early 90's I went to Dr. Kroll Boot Camp were we spent a week in the field of learning his research and knowledge of whitetail and management. He told the group that they had tagged/collared some East Texas buck and followed their movements, especially during the rut. Several miles was common and they had one buck that went 21 miles...14 one direction then a 90 degree turn for 7 more. He did this routine for several years and even crossed a river at flood stage one of those years. He was the one that went the greatest distance and returned back to his home range every year. A ranch I was on last fall had a group of bucks move from their home feeder/range in Sept and move south for 3.5 miles as the crow flies to a different feeder. They stayed around that feeder for 2 or 3 days and then returned back home. All documented by trail cameras. This ranch is HF and has been for a long time. Same ranch had a buck back in the late 90's or early 2000's that I found on trail cameras one night at 4 different feeders on the Friday night before opening morning. He made that feeder run in about 4 hrs and was killed at daylight at the first one he started at. He covered about 1000 acres that night and that areas was about 1.5 miles wide on the south end and about a mile to the feeder to the north.

Great information stxrm!

I myself saw a 2 year old 13 point one morning at 10am at one corner of the ranch I was on and that afternoon about 3:45 he came strolling in at another stand I was on.
I got on google earth and it was over 4.5 miles from one spot to the other. They can and will travel a long ways in a hurry when they want to.

the buck I killed last year showed up at our place every year about the 2nd week of October and stayed until he dropped his horns and then disappeared again until the same time the next year.
This happened from age 2.5 until 5.5 (4 years). I later found out a neighbor directly east of me about a mile had hundreds, of not thousands of game cam pics of him from the time he started growing his horns each year until the time he rubbed out. He simply summered in a different area than what he lived during the fall & winter.

Re: Well, Maybe Give Him Another Year....? [Re: HS2] #7996370 10/03/20 12:23 AM
S
SowHntr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I just watched his 207 inch deer he got in old mexico. Awesome deer

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide