Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992164 09/29/20 03:58 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
While many if not most of the college and pro coaches use play cards that are the size of table place mats, Mike Leach led his and my Bulldogs to a win against LSU with something that was no bigger than a paper napkin. Heck, for all I know it may have been a paper napkin. Being the traditionalist that I am, I've always considered the better coach to be one that uses a play card that's more in his head than on a piece of laminated plastic.

Someone told me Leach's offensive scheme includes just a few basic plays when some variations in the formations.

Brilliant mind for a guy that didn't play college football...

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7992260 09/29/20 04:53 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by kwrhuntinglab
While many if not most of the college and pro coaches use play cards that are the size of table place mats, Mike Leach led his and my Bulldogs to a win against LSU with something that was no bigger than a paper napkin. Heck, for all I know it may have been a paper napkin. Being the traditionalist that I am, I've always considered the better coach to be one that uses a play card that's more in his head than on a piece of laminated plastic.

Someone told me Leach's offensive scheme includes just a few basic plays when some variations in the formations.

Also has a law degree.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: LeonCarr] #7992282 09/29/20 05:10 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by LeonCarr

Also has a law degree.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Hunting skills surpassed only by a few native Americans.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7992367 09/29/20 06:06 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
I don't know what Tech was thinking

We were thinking that
1, he grievously mishandled a player, something coaches get run for on day 1 these days (WVU defensive coordinator, Maryland head coach, several others this year or last)
2, he told our Chancellor, basically his boss, in person, to go f*** himself
3, he refused to sign the apology letter to the player
4, and even after all that, would have kept his job had he not sued the school just to coach a bowl game.

Also, the man wanted out of Lubbock badly-he was whoring himself out every year to anybody that would interview him. Had he somehow stayed, it wouldn't have lasted more than a year or two more.

I don't hate Leach, I was here his whole time and it was great fun. After the first couple of years, you never went into a game without thinking you could win. To date, he is the best coach that TTU has had and I thank him for his years here.

Well said. They guy knows how to win football games, and he also knows how to royally screw some up. Defense is optional, and most of the guys posting here have absolutely no clue about this guy other than taking special note of a game or two a year, and a couple of signature wins. He's a royal PITA, and classless. Here's an example.

One year we were at a letterwinner's breakfast on Saturday morning of homecoming. There were about 200 of us there of all ages, some had come from quite a distance, many were large donors. Leach was the designated speaker that morning. We were getting near the end of our meal, and Leach wasn't even there yet. Finally, with everyone having waited about 30 minutes after eating, Leach shows up in a sweat suit that looked like he just got it out of the dryer, hair was a mess, he was obviously well-hungover. He gave some stupidasss talk for about 5 minutes, turned and left the room, and didn't take anyone's questions, didn't mingle, nada, nothing. We were turning our heads looking at each other wondering WTH was that? He's a classless POS.

You do know how to hold a grudge, I'll give you that

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992372 09/29/20 06:12 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The Houston Cougars would take him in a New York minute.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992493 09/29/20 08:32 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I'm a Tech fan and miss Leach, the good ol boys hated him because he didn't play ball with them. He was the best coach Tech ever had. He made miracles happen with 3rd rate talent.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Ox190] #7992524 09/29/20 08:56 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Ox190
I'm a Tech fan and miss Leach, the good ol boys hated him because he didn't play ball with them. He was the best coach Tech ever had. He made miracles happen with 3rd rate talent.

Yep, just like Trump. I dont have to like him, he just has to be good at his job.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992549 09/29/20 09:17 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Anytime someone challenges the character of another, and especially a man, I like to find out how many times the person in question has been married and for how long. While there are always exceptions to any rule, I've found that in today's world it takes a fairly decent guy to get a woman to live under the same roof with him for years on end.

Mississippi State head football coach Mike Leach has been married to his college sweetheart Sharon for more than 35 years.

Link

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/29/20 09:25 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992562 09/29/20 09:26 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Anytime someone challenges the character of another, and especially a man, I like to find out how many times the person in question has been married and for how long. While there are always exceptions to any rule, I've found that in today's world it takes a fairly decent guy to get a woman to live under the same roof with him for years on end.

Mississippi State head football coach Mike Leach has been married once to his wife Sharon for more than 35 years.

You're a freaking idiot and we all know it. I'm much closer to the TTU athletic program than anybody else on this whole forum I'd wager.

Trashcan Dan, I've been married to the same gal for 35 yrs myself. I don't care how many games you won, etc. I will not ever have anyone with Leach's character (lack thereof actually) representing any company or product I have. If I put up with that, the public should assume I'm of the same character, and to me, character is important, more important than just winning in my book. Unfortunately most poeple don't see it that way.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992566 09/29/20 09:28 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
eeks333

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7992571 09/29/20 09:30 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
I'm much closer to the TTU athletic program than anybody else on this whole forum I'd wager.

Then perhaps I should say "Thank you" for being at least some small part of the reason why Mike ended up in Starkvegas.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/29/20 09:32 PM.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992588 09/29/20 09:41 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
eeks333

WOW! yeah.....

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7992627 09/29/20 10:11 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Trashcan Dan

roflmao

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992656 09/29/20 10:38 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
I read today that Saturday's LSU/MSU contest was the most watched game so far this season on any TV channel.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7992742 09/29/20 11:36 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O

Mississippi State head football coach Mike Leach has been married once to his wife Sharon for more than 35 years.

You're a freaking idiot and we all know it. I'm much closer to the TTU athletic program than anybody else on this whole forum I'd wager.

Trashcan Dan, I've been married to the same gal for 35 yrs myself. I don't care how many games you won, etc. I will not ever have anyone with Leach's character (lack thereof actually) representing any company or product I have. If I put up with that, the public should assume I'm of the same character, and to me, character is important, more important than just winning in my book. Unfortunately most poeple don't see it that way.

There is something to be said about the character part, maybe he was worse than I thought. I don't think the way he handled Adam James was that bad though.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7993142 09/30/20 09:10 AM
R
redhaze Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Have you read his book about Geronimo and "leadership"......

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7994756 10/01/20 05:57 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Leach is a foul mouthed drunk who happens to be a pretty decent football coach. His escapades around Lubbock are legendary. As far as LSU goes, yeah, MSU whipped them. Lsu only lost 14 players to the NFL draft, 10 of those in the top 100 drafted, and was left with 2 defensive starters. One of them was out sick. MSU''s victory wasn't so much Leach, but an awful lot depleted talent from their opponent.

I ain't buying this one. LSU has out recruited MSU every year over the last 3-4. Probably the last 20+ years but only the last 3-4 mattered on Saturday. No doubt that LSU team on the field Saturday was more talented, no matter what they lost to the draft. They just got out coached. This was a "he can take his'n and beat your'n, and then turn around and take your'n and beat his'n" kind of thing.

Coach O was blessed with two outstanding coordinators last year who are now gone. His track record as a head coach isn't great. He caught lightning in a bottle last year and my guess is his days are numbered. We'll see how many years that NC can buy him. My guess is he'll be there until the boosters can talk Joe Brady into coming back for the HC job.

I agree Leach is an AH, but damn he's hilarious. Best interview in football. I can't wait for the Egg Bowl.

[Linked Image]
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7994803 10/01/20 06:30 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The Aggies could be looking at him after Alabama leaves College Station Saturday. There are 6 Aggies in my neighborhood. They were all upset about their game with Vanderbilt, even with their win..

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: bill oxner] #7994857 10/01/20 07:15 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by bill oxner
The Aggies could be looking at him after Alabama leaves College Station Saturday. There are 6 Aggies in my neighborhood. They were all upset about their game with Vanderbilt, even with their win..

Nah, he'll retire or get retired and stay in Baton Rouge where he'll never have to buy his own beer or pay for a meal again the rest of his life.

And I'm an Aggie, we don't want Coach O. We just want Kellen Mond to run out of eligibility and leave.

[Linked Image]
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Gumbeaux] #7994883 10/01/20 07:42 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
Leach is a foul mouthed drunk who happens to be a pretty decent football coach. His escapades around Lubbock are legendary. As far as LSU goes, yeah, MSU whipped them. Lsu only lost 14 players to the NFL draft, 10 of those in the top 100 drafted, and was left with 2 defensive starters. One of them was out sick. MSU''s victory wasn't so much Leach, but an awful lot depleted talent from their opponent.

I ain't buying this one. LSU has out recruited MSU every year over the last 3-4. Probably the last 20+ years but only the last 3-4 mattered on Saturday. No doubt that LSU team on the field Saturday was more talented, no matter what they lost to the draft. They just got out coached. This was a "he can take his'n and beat your'n, and then turn around and take your'n and beat his'n" kind of thing.

Coach O was blessed with two outstanding coordinators last year who are now gone. His track record as a head coach isn't great. He caught lightning in a bottle last year and my guess is his days are numbered. We'll see how many years that NC can buy him. My guess is he'll be there until the boosters can talk Joe Brady into coming back for the HC job.

I agree Leach is an AH, but damn he's hilarious. Best interview in football. I can't wait for the Egg Bowl.

You guys won't be so proud of Leach in a year or two, just wait and see...................He can be pretty dang funny sometimes though.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7994907 10/01/20 08:16 PM
L
LuckyDucker_TTU Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
L
I wouldn’t mind having him back in Lubbock. Wish he had never been let go. The whole thing was an embarrassment. With a recruiting budget at the time that was near bottom of the big 12, dont think it’s changed much, and facilities at the time well below what other teams had I’d be looking for greener pastures too. It’s a business and he owed no one anything. Ya he lost a lot of games he shouldn’t have, but he won several he shouldn’t have either. Tech has never been exactly relevant in college football, he made us relevant for a short time. Campus was buzzing on game days back then. Now no one cares. The product has never matched what he put out there.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Gumbeaux] #7994969 10/01/20 09:12 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
...and I'm an Aggie, we don't want Coach O. We just want Kellen Mond to run out of eligibility and leave.

Amen to that! (I'm an Aggie fan by way of the tuition I pay)

It's going to be a long season in Baton Rouge. Give it another loss or two and they'll be wanting to put Coach O on a pirogue down the river.

On Leach, I think he's a hoot to listen to, good enough skills to stay employed and have folks be happy to have him, each time.

Recent reporter to Leach: "Have you ever thought about dressing up on the sideline for a game?

“You know, I don’t know. I haven’t really thought about that. That’d be kind of wild. Nick does seem like the type of guy that would really get into some costume play, though.”

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: bill oxner] #7995127 10/01/20 11:55 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner

Some invited me to parties. I wouldn't go on a double dog dare.

[Linked Image]

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7995152 10/02/20 12:18 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

I know lots of smart people that didn’t play any football.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide