Page 1 of 2 1 2
You gotta love Mike Leach #7991023 09/28/20 06:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
While many if not most of the college and pro coaches use play cards that are the size of table place mats, Mike Leach led his and my Bulldogs to a win against LSU with something that was no bigger than a paper napkin. Heck, for all I know it may have been a paper napkin. Being the traditionalist that I am, I've always considered the better coach to be one that uses a play card that's more in his head than on a piece of laminated plastic.

Someone told me Leach's offensive scheme includes just a few basic plays when some variations in the formations.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/28/20 06:33 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991026 09/28/20 06:35 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Craig James doesn't.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7991028 09/28/20 06:37 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Craig James doesn't.

And I bet a lot of Tech fans hate him for it.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991093 09/28/20 07:39 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Leach is a foul mouthed drunk who happens to be a pretty decent football coach. His escapades around Lubbock are legendary. As far as LSU goes, yeah, MSU whipped them. Lsu only lost 14 players to the NFL draft, 10 of those in the top 100 drafted, and was left with 2 defensive starters. One of them was out sick. MSU''s victory wasn't so much Leach, but an awful lot depleted talent from their opponent.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991097 09/28/20 07:47 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Yes to all of the above and LSU wins about 70% of the time when playing the Bulldogs. No matter who was not there and who left and whatever else, it's still a notable victory for MSU. Kinda reminiscent of what he used to do at Tech. It is what it is.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991108 09/28/20 07:56 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
CJK5H

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991111 09/28/20 08:00 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Craig James doesn't.

And I bet a lot of Tech fans hate him for it.

Nailed it. Craig James not Leach.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7991122 09/28/20 08:12 PM
T
TonyWornick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Leach is a foul mouthed drunk who happens to be a pretty decent football coach. His escapades around Lubbock are legendary. As far as LSU goes, yeah, MSU whipped them. Lsu only lost 14 players to the NFL draft, 10 of those in the top 100 drafted, and was left with 2 defensive starters. One of them was out sick. MSU''s victory wasn't so much Leach, but an awful lot depleted talent from their opponent.

Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7991130 09/28/20 08:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I wouldn’t even say he is decent, he gets beat buy well disciplined teams pretty regularly

Sounds like LSU needs to dig deep and go back to fundamentals

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991133 09/28/20 08:20 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
He's good for 1-2 like this a year, and you'll also scratch your head when he loses to somebody like Vanderbilt in the same year.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991136 09/28/20 08:23 PM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Dude is a genius. One quirky MF’er though. Tech made a huge mistake getting rid of him.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991152 09/28/20 08:38 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Leach will become a burr under the saddle blanket to a lot of SEC teams. Like him or not...Leach always has teams that nobody really wants to play.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7991400 09/29/20 12:25 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I agree with JG a lot. His post shows how difficult it is to maintain a top quality program. Realistically, Alabama and Clemson are in a league of their own. I can’t tell you how many coaches Bama has lost. Those coordinators and position coaches are big time recruiters.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7991853 09/29/20 11:57 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Lsu only lost 14 players to the NFL draft, 10 of those in the top 100 drafted, and was left with 2 defensive starters. One of them was out sick. MSU''s victory wasn't so much Leach, but an awful lot depleted talent from their opponent.

If the Bayou Bengals are as limited with talent as you claim, it's going to be a very long season for the folks in Baton Rouge.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/29/20 11:59 AM.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991949 09/29/20 01:23 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I love the old pirate! His air raid will give the SEC hell! I don't know what Tech was thinking

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 09/29/20 01:25 PM.
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: S.A. hunter] #7991970 09/29/20 01:35 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
I love the old pirate! His air raid will give the SEC hell! I don't know what Tech was thinking

This grad student that Leach picked up from Stanford, K.J. Costello, could be the most talented QB that Leach has ever coached, not to mention being a perfect match for his air raid offense. It's going to be interesting to see how defenses can sustain a strong pass rush with more than 60 passes thrown at them. After all, the SEC is perhaps better known for defending smash mouth running attacks. In addition to his arm, I like the kid for being a true student athlete who now wants to work towards a Law degree.

While it could be a "one and done" season before Leach moves on to bigger things, I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/29/20 01:58 PM.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7991985 09/29/20 01:45 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

This grad student that Leach picked up from Stanford, K.J. Costello, could be the most talented QB that Leach has ever coached, not to mention being a perfect match for his air raid offense. In addition to his arm, I like the kid for being a true student athlete who now wants to work towards a Law degree.

While it could be a "one and done" season before Leach moves on to bigger things, I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Tech fans always hate on him, but he might have been the best coach they have ever had. He had success there with minimal talent. Now he is in a deeper end of the talent pool, i can only imagine things will get better.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: S.A. hunter] #7992047 09/29/20 02:25 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I don't know what Tech was thinking

We were thinking that
1, he grievously mishandled a player, something coaches get run for on day 1 these days (WVU defensive coordinator, Maryland head coach, several others this year or last)
2, he told our Chancellor, basically his boss, in person, to go f*** himself
3, he refused to sign the apology letter to the player
4, and even after all that, would have kept his job had he not sued the school just to coach a bowl game.

Also, the man wanted out of Lubbock badly-he was whoring himself out every year to anybody that would interview him. Had he somehow stayed, it wouldn't have lasted more than a year or two more.

I don't hate Leach, I was here his whole time and it was great fun. After the first couple of years, you never went into a game without thinking you could win. To date, he is the best coach that TTU has had and I thank him for his years here.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992051 09/29/20 02:28 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I would take him over Herman anyday.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7992066 09/29/20 02:40 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

We were thinking that
1, he grievously mishandled a player, something coaches get run for on day 1 these days (WVU defensive coordinator, Maryland head coach, several others this year or last)
4, and even after all that, would have kept his job had he not sued the school just to coach a bowl game.

Also, the man wanted out of Lubbock badly-he was whoring himself out every year to anybody that would interview him. Had he somehow stayed, it wouldn't have lasted more than a year or two more.

I don't hate Leach, I was here his whole time and it was great fun. After the first couple of years, you never went into a game without thinking you could win. To date, he is the best coach that TTU has had and I thank him for his years here.

Well said. They guy knows how to win football games, and he also knows how to royally screw some up. Defense is optional, and most of the guys posting here have absolutely no clue about this guy other than taking special note of a game or two a year, and a couple of signature wins. He's a royal PITA, and classless. Here's an example.

One year we were at a letterwinner's breakfast on Saturday morning of homecoming. There were about 200 of us there of all ages, some had come from quite a distance, many were large donors. Leach was the designated speaker that morning. We were getting near the end of our meal, and Leach wasn't even there yet. Finally, with everyone having waited about 30 minutes after eating, Leach shows up in a sweat suit that looked like he just got it out of the dryer, hair was a mess, he was obviously well-hungover. He gave some stupidasss talk for about 5 minutes, turned and left the room, and didn't take anyone's questions, didn't mingle, nada, nothing. We were turning our heads looking at each other wondering WTH was that? He's a classless POS.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Jgraider] #7992072 09/29/20 02:44 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

We were thinking that

Well said. They guy knows how to win football games, and he also knows how to royally screw some up. Defense is optional, and most of the guys posting here have absolutely no clue about this guy other than taking special note of a game or two a year, and a couple of signature wins. He's a royal PITA, and classless. Here's an example.

One year we were at a letterwinner's breakfast on Saturday morning of homecoming. There were about 200 of us there of all ages, some had come from quite a distance, many were large donors. Leach was the designated speaker that morning. We were getting near the end of our meal, and Leach wasn't even there yet. Finally, with everyone having waited about 30 minutes after eating, Leach shows up in a sweat suit that looked like he just got it out of the dryer, hair was a mess, he was obviously well-hungover. He gave some stupidasss talk for about 5 minutes, turned and left the room, and didn't take anyone's questions, didn't mingle, nada, nothing. We were turning our heads looking at each other wondering WTH was that? He's a classless POS.

But can he coach....

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992078 09/29/20 02:49 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"Also, the man wanted out of Lubbock badly-he was whoring himself out every year to anybody that would interview him. Had he somehow stayed, it wouldn't have lasted more than a year or two more."

My understanding this here was a huge, huge issue. TT was nothing, but a stepping stone for him. A great coach, but no thoughts of loyalty. Could've been a God in Lubbock, just did not want it.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Hudbone] #7992083 09/29/20 02:52 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Hudbone
"Also, the man wanted out of Lubbock badly-he was whoring himself out every year to anybody that would interview him. Had he somehow stayed, it wouldn't have lasted more than a year or two more."

My understanding this here was a huge, huge issue. TT was nothing, but a stepping stone for him. A great coach, but no thoughts of loyalty. Could've been a God in Lubbock, just did not want it.

He's yet to step up. roflmao

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Texas Dan] #7992104 09/29/20 03:03 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
As far as Tech losing that game. That was won by Texas conditioning coach. Tech was gassed, couldn’t cover anyone.

Re: You gotta love Mike Leach [Re: Roll-Tide] #7992156 09/29/20 03:55 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by Hudbone

He's yet to step up. roflmao

He WAY over-estimated his worth. The stories about alumni and his drinking are very true; he did nothing to help with fundraising and his interviews in the middle of recruiting season were a bad look that hurt us a lot. Nothing like your DC walking into a recruits house only to be faced with an article that morning about 'Leach interested in Miami, etc'.

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
As far as Tech losing that game. That was won by Texas conditioning coach. Tech was gassed, couldn’t cover anyone.
Not totally accurate-we changed the coverage. But, our DL was completely gassed and got NO rush those last two drives. Ehlinger picked us apart, having time and his choice of targets.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide