Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987353 09/25/20 01:12 AM
C
Cow_doc.308 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Tough question. My short answer to people is that when the dog doesn't enjoy life anymore, then it's time.

Dogs can get a disease similar to dementia, which sounds similar to what you describe.

It's a tough call to make. Been there with 2 of my personal dogs since graduating vet school. When it comes time, its the last nice thing we can do for them.

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987365 09/25/20 01:27 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sorry to hear, tough, personal, decision..

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987372 09/25/20 01:34 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Sorry to hear that. It is a tough decision, prayers for you.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987375 09/25/20 01:35 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I went through the same thing about a year ago except his body was gone rather than his mind. A friend gave me the advice that whatever decision I do or don't do, that I should make sure it's for my lab and not for me. I let that soak in for a day and scheduled an in home euthanasia.

I think the whole thing would be more clear to me if it was her body. Arthritis, pain, suffering I would know exactly what to do. Because it’s her mind I am struggling with it.

I get it.

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987380 09/25/20 01:37 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I have known dogs that lost their sight and you are right, they compensate fantastically. Same with hearing. Once his mind drifts away, it is time.
It's only been since May for me, so the hurt is still heavy. You need to trust your instincts.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987388 09/25/20 01:45 AM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I went through the same thing about a year ago except his body was gone rather than his mind. A friend gave me the advice that whatever decision I do or don't do, that I should make sure it's for my lab and not for me. I let that soak in for a day and scheduled an in home euthanasia.

I think the whole thing would be more clear to me if it was her body. Arthritis, pain, suffering I would know exactly what to do. Because it’s her mind I am struggling with it.

Feel for you on this decision. When it's time, have it done in Her house with you holding and talking to Her. Make it as easy as you can. Gonna be sad and I've had to do this several times over the years. It's never easy with a freind.

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987427 09/25/20 02:25 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Honestly the answer is when compassion takes over the sense of selfishness.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987445 09/25/20 02:39 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
That sucks Sapper. You know when the time is right and it will suck but you will know you did the right thing

[Linked Image]
Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987623 09/25/20 11:21 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've had a dozen over the last 55 years and only two died in their sleep.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987680 09/25/20 12:28 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
We are getting there too. It sucks hind tit. No way Wifeypoo will let me put her down and frankly, it would be tough.

Re: How do you know when? [Re: Hudbone] #7987696 09/25/20 12:44 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hudbone
We are getting there too. It sucks hind tit. No way Wifeypoo will let me put her down and frankly, it would be tough.

See, now this is where people get up in arms and go ballistic about other people even suggesting that a second perusal of sentence structure (aka "grammar") might sometimes prove beneficial. Take a second look at the last sentence and ask yourself, "Could this be misinterpreted?" roflmao

(Kidding my friend.) up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987699 09/25/20 12:47 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Please, do not forward to Wifeypoo.

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987712 09/25/20 12:59 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I'm trying to figure this out myself. I have an old dog too. He's been a good dam dog.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987769 09/25/20 01:27 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I always talked to my vet and took their advice. They are a third party and don't have the emotional ties like you do.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987850 09/25/20 02:28 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
I have one that turned 15 in June and still gets around really good but I can tell she's losing her mind. The past few weeks she has started only eating about every other day. I know her day is coming. I hate having to put a dog down but it is the nicest thing you can do for an old dog that isn't enjoying life anymore.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987870 09/25/20 02:43 PM
H
Hooker Offline
Patriarch
Patriarch
H
She's helped you out over the years, repay her (With love)

"Happiness is more important then spilled jelly"

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987912 09/25/20 03:07 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Mine had stage 4-5 heart murmur. Not enough O2 to the brain causing seizures. She would come to all weak and confused. One of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

Make America Great Again

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987948 09/25/20 03:39 PM
J
jphunts6165 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Not trying to be a ... but I have always had Aussies and the quality of life with not being able to run wide open, bark and chase things, or follow commands. Every one that have ever had that’s what they live for. Pleasing us by having a job to do or what we ask of them. Extremely intelligent and the mind is going. It would make the decision way easier for me sir.
Will never make it any easier, it’s rough. Am having to go through the physical part of it before it gets cold. I am gonna have to do it. I am sorry

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7987953 09/25/20 03:43 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Cousin had a dog that went blind. It was amazing how well the dog could get around the appx 1/2 acre yard. Knew where the deck was fence was and storage building was, but if something knew came into the yard it took a bit to get used to. He eventually got very aggressive towards anything and everything that wasn't the owner and they put him down the old fashioned way and buried him out back.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How do you know when? [Re: jphunts6165] #7987959 09/25/20 03:47 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by jphunts6165
Not trying to be a ... but I have always had Aussies and the quality of life with not being able to run wide open, bark and chase things, or follow commands. Every one that have ever had that’s what they live for. Pleasing us by having a job to do or what we ask of them. Extremely intelligent and the mind is going. It would make the decision way easier for me sir.
Will never make it any easier, it’s rough. Am having to go through the physical part of it before it gets cold. I am gonna have to do it. I am sorry

I’ve had 3 aussies. She is way different lol. From day one she never liked being outside and has always been lazy. She would play and have fun but just didn’t enjoy being outside much. Would do her business and come right back to the door. The other 2 I’ve had were very active she has always just had a different mentality.

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7988039 09/25/20 05:00 PM
J
jphunts6165 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by jphunts6165

I’ve had 3 aussies. She is way different lol. From day one she never liked being outside and has always been lazy. She would play and have fun but just didn’t enjoy being outside much. Would do her business and come right back to the door. The other 2 I’ve had were very active she has always just had a different mentality.

Yes sir I understand. I can see where could change things a little. Either way my heart goes out to your family. Hope y’all find peace either way.

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7988081 09/25/20 05:37 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Back in January I had two dogs. One of them was the best dog I ever had, everybody loved him. He got diagnosed with a fast moving cancer, and the vet told me the best thing I could do was make him comfortable for the few remaining weeks he had left. We did lots of truck rides, a few steaks, more chicken nuggets than any dog should eat... that one was an easy decision to make, but the most difficult experience I've had yet. Still miss that dog so bad it hurts sometimes.

A few days prior to that cancer diagnosis, my vet advised me that my other dog should likely be put down due to aggression. He was a foster failure that I ended up keeping for 4.5 years. His past was questionable to say the least, and between that and the meds he needed to keep his medical issues in check, it caused a progressive aggression issue that simply couldn't be fixed. Problem was, he was still a big, dumb, happy dog with me, when it was just us. With having to put my other dog down, and not wanting to come home to an empty house, I kept putting it off. In the end, I did what I had to do, but I still struggle with wishing I hadn't done it vs. knowing that I probably should have done it sooner.

Point is, lots of people will say "You'll know when it's time." but sometimes you just won't. Every decision you've made concerning that dog has been the correct one up until now, for her to have been around this long. All you can do is make the best decision you can given the information that you have. Whatever you decide, she'll know you did the best you could.

Re: How do you know when? [Re: Shotgun Willie] #7988131 09/25/20 06:12 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline OP
Taking Requests
OP Offline
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
Back in January I had two dogs. One of them was the best dog I ever had, everybody loved him. He got diagnosed with a fast moving cancer, and the vet told me the best thing I could do was make him comfortable for the few remaining weeks he had left. We did lots of truck rides, a few steaks, more chicken nuggets than any dog should eat... that one was an easy decision to make, but the most difficult experience I've had yet. Still miss that dog so bad it hurts sometimes.

A few days prior to that cancer diagnosis, my vet advised me that my other dog should likely be put down due to aggression. He was a foster failure that I ended up keeping for 4.5 years. His past was questionable to say the least, and between that and the meds he needed to keep his medical issues in check, it caused a progressive aggression issue that simply couldn't be fixed. Problem was, he was still a big, dumb, happy dog with me, when it was just us. With having to put my other dog down, and not wanting to come home to an empty house, I kept putting it off. In the end, I did what I had to do, but I still struggle with wishing I hadn't done it vs. knowing that I probably should have done it sooner.

Point is, lots of people will say "You'll know when it's time." but sometimes you just won't. Every decision you've made concerning that dog has been the correct one up until now, for her to have been around this long. All you can do is make the best decision you can given the information that you have. Whatever you decide, she'll know you did the best you could.
Thank you sir

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7988155 09/25/20 06:35 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That's a hard situation for you. I kinda feel like you will know when it's time. And that will be the right time. I have thought several times it might be the right time... but then I knew when it was. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Sorry man.

Re: How do you know when? [Re: SapperTitan] #7988158 09/25/20 06:41 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I feel for you, Sir. Never easy and we are very close to a similar decision. Our 10 year old corgi has a degenerative spinal condition and has lost the ability to stand, but still scoots around well. The condition started in his right hind leg, and progressed to his left. Vet told us he is in no pain, but eventually it will progress to his front legs and he'll become incontinent - we've decided that will be the time. Hate to do it - one of the best behaved dogs I have ever been around.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide