Forums46
Topics537,031
Posts9,719,629
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season #7984556 09/22/20 11:17 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
This is our last weekend for major work at the lease. The way ours works, you have to get all your stands and tractor work done before Bow season starts. After that its between 12 and 2 to for Cameras and fill feeders etc.

I pretty much have my stuff done. Put in my food plots weekend before last. I topped off two feeders this last weekend and changed batteries in two of my Cell Cams. I have one of those Tripods from Academy with the platform on it. I need to level it and put some camo burlap around it. I can do that pretty easy when I change batteries on my cell cam around the end of Oct.

I probably won't bow hunt until the last week or two of bow season. I have a new bow stand set up with some small plots I put in, hope it grows.

Looks like I have my stuff done for the most part. Its hard to get it all done between the heat and not being able to get off work which I bet I'm not the only one with that problem. I need to check my box blinds to make sure they aren't full of wasps, I haven't checked them in a while.

How about you guys, did ya get all your stuff done and ready to go.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984565 09/22/20 11:24 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Son-in-law is supposed to help me set a blind Saturday. More than one set with mesquite to cut and spray. One feeder to move and fill and packrats to evict out of the blind.

So no, I'm not finished.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984602 09/22/20 11:43 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I had a stand on one of the South Texas ranches I hunted years back that didn't have windows that close. I had to run a big ole Barn Owl out, he was not happy. Opening day of season he tried to fly in window with me with me in the stand, scared the piss out of me LOL!!! I had no idea how big Owls were up close and personal. He was pissed off.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984610 09/22/20 11:46 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I had a stand on one of the South Texas ranches I hunted years back that didn't have windows that close. I had to run a big ole Barn Owl out, he was not happy. Opening day of season he tried to fly in window with me with me in the stand, scared the piss out of me LOL!!! I had no idea how big Owls were up close and personal. He was pissed off.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984830 09/23/20 02:37 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
If your food plots don't grow, it won't be because of lack of rain. I live on Sam Rayburn and we got 1 1/2" since yesterday. Good slow soaking rain too.

I don't have anything to do, except maybe put up another tripod stand. I have been hunting hogs since the end of last deer season so feeders and stands are in great shape. Just need the deer to cooperate.

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984852 09/23/20 02:52 AM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Kind of...

New blind setup this past weekend and the feeder that is there decided to chit the bed.
Checked other blinds and no wasps/rodents
2 1000# corn feeders and a 1000# protein feeder delayed due to demand issues & COVID which means we will have to refill feeders next month and didn't get to setup new spots for popups this year
Laid out triticale seed this past weekend but rain decided to skip us so may not grow

Will see how it all turns out, but that's part of the fun...right?

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984913 09/23/20 04:17 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Gringocazador

Nope. Still have to replace one blind, add one blind, replace another blind, add 2-3 more feeders, and replace 400-600 yards of barbed wire fence. My teammates always elect to do this major work during deer season, when it's cooler. Been round & round with them on this, not arguing any more. Whatever.

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984920 09/23/20 04:49 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just need to do a little chainsaw work
There is a fairly big limb that's dead right above the stand that needs took out or else I might get a headache one day.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984934 09/23/20 05:39 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Haven’t been out. Probably won’t hunt my lease this year. Going to spend more time with family out east chasing pigs and coyotes than any deer hunting this year.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984965 09/23/20 09:58 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
We are going up Wednesday to meet a blade man for three days. Lots of roads on 5,500 acres. Trying to arrange for a skid steer mulcher also, but a barn build has gotten in the way of one and a sheep hunt in the way of the other.

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984976 09/23/20 10:46 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
most of the needed work has been done.......it's never finished......that would be boring.....making adjustments is part of the fun.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7984997 09/23/20 11:29 AM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
After the comment above on rain. I think I will drive a tee post in and set a cell cam on my largest food plot, about 1/2 acre.

I need to get a better chair for one of my box blinds, its a crappy chair that won't even lean back. Hows a guy supposed to hunt if he can't lean back and take a nap before it gets daylight!!!!

As forgetfull as I am, I better make a list as my wife tells me to do.

Ya never get it all done, but that part of the fun. I hate working around the house, but I will live on a tractor or fix/build blinds, move tripods, fill feeders for days on end. I may have to retract my statement on tripods, my foots in a cast because when I pushed a tripod over to move, one of legs bounced and hit my foot and broke a bone. I don't like tripods anymore.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7985018 09/23/20 11:58 AM
R
Rifleman1775 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Almost done. I need to cut a few more cedars this weekend to be able to see my protein feeder from the blind. I fill my feeders once a month so that's also on the list for this weekend. I if have time, Id like to brush in the blind a little, but as we all know, time FLIES by when you're out working on the lease. I always say, "we have _____ to do and _____, but neither will take much time at all." Then by the end of the weekend, only half got done, because of the heat or something broke and a 45 min drive to town puts a kink in your plans. Especially if the wife came along for the weekend.

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: skinnerback] #7985028 09/23/20 12:07 PM
W
Wildland Systems Consulting Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Gringocazador

Nope. Still have to replace one blind, add one blind, replace another blind, add 2-3 more feeders, and replace 400-600 yards of barbed wire fence. My teammates always elect to do this major work during deer season, when it's cooler. Been round & round with them on this, not arguing any more. Whatever.

That sucks man, just doesn't make sense to wait. You'll be working when it's time to play.

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7985048 09/23/20 12:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I got all my stuff done and ready to go in early July. Just need to roundup my plots or re-disc them after this rain to knock out the grass/weed new growth then drill in the oats in the next 2 weeks. Waiting to see if any army worms popup after the recent rains and greenup. Top off corn feeders the next 14 days and protein feeders this next week or so when they are empty. Been road feeding bowblinds for the last month now so the deer are used to the daily routine now. Now time to sit back and swhack.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7985052 09/23/20 12:24 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I did some serious tree trimming two weeks ago for the bow stands. Also made sure all the bow stands were properly anchored and ant free. Our box blinds get used year round, so no maintenance there. My Father in law lives at the ranch now and is retired, so he will take care of the food plots at his leisure.
I did not get a chance to go to the cabin in OK for a work weekend though. I will be headed up there for the bow opener, and have a ton of work to do. I have a stand that I want to move about 80 yards. To get there, you have to paddle across the creek, crawl up to the ridge, then it is about a 1/2 mile hike. I put it up last year, and all the deer that I saw were out of bow range. I also need to cut wood for the winter and seal the roof. I probably won't get much hunting done, but Bow season goes deep into Novemeber up there, so it should be ready to go for our Nov bow trip.

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7985076 09/23/20 12:44 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Grown Grandsons came and filled feeders last weekend for bow season. Now gotta get their buts back to cut firewood.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7985137 09/23/20 01:35 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I think we are in pretty good shape after last weekend.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7985144 09/23/20 01:38 PM
P
Panhandler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Landowner keeps all the feeders filled for us, all we have to do is go clear any wasp nests out of the blinds and check cameras. I also usually spread some seed inside the feeder pens.

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7985151 09/23/20 01:45 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Got just about everything done except for the grubbers clipped my tower and it’s tweaked....going to take a few guys to fix it as it’s slid off it’s pavers and sunk in the dirt. I’ve got a couple guys smarter than me at this stuff to look at it in the coming weeks but I suspect we’ll have to lay it down and stand it back up. I hate doing work that is risky on getting someone hurt but it’s got to be done. Outside of that, I’m ready. Feeders been going since 8/1 and cameras are up and running.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7985484 09/23/20 06:03 PM
J
jhunter77 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
The wife and I got our feeders filled and batteries replaced, set up a new camera and one of us forgot to grab another camera of the gun safe. Anyone wanna guess who's being blamed for that? My fields look good thankfully the cows got it knocked down. I leave my field open for the cows until September so they take care of most of my mowing. My buddy had a death in the family so we're taking his feeder out on Sunday and getting his spot ready. As for the blinds I killed and the wasps and 3 black widows in my blind just have to take some whips to clean off the chairs and I have one 2x4 to replace since the wind decided that my blind looked better laying on it's back instead of upright. So I have about 2 hours of work left and I'm ready to go...

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7986011 09/23/20 11:44 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Nope. Not even close. I'll be there to mow and get feeders/cameras running the first week of October. Yup, I'm late but it is what it is. Everything should be good for the rut in November, so no issues.

[Linked Image]
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7988242 09/25/20 08:11 PM
V
VMike Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
V
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
most of the needed work has been done.......it's never finished......that would be boring.....making adjustments is part of the fun.....

This

I have a deer problem on my hog lease!!!
Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7988252 09/25/20 08:27 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
....its never "done" but yes, I did everything I set out to do for this year....trouble is, after a few hunts, I'll see more stuff I should have done and start making my to-do's for next spring/early summer....

Re: Did you get all your lease work done/ready for season [Re: Gringocazador] #7988300 09/25/20 09:32 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
gonna put up pop-ups and top off feeders hopefully Sunday, to be ready and in place to hunt next saturday. Its not even for me, its for my 13 year old to try and get his first bowkill. Just got the shredding done yesterday.

Seems we are always running late but fortunately for me, lease is close and there isn't a ton do do in order to set up a couple of pop-ups.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide