Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7967419 09/09/20 10:19 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I shoot an Excalibur brand Bolt Cutter150 grain fixed blade and it shoots very close if not the same as the 150 grain field points I practice with out to 40 yards. I never shot any farther due to the fact I was limiting my shots to 25 yards max to start. They group very well also as I sliced the vanes off of bolt or two when practicing. Reading the deer and his posture was key to how far I would shoot with my xbow due to the noise factor on a edgy deer. Excalibur recommends the 150 grain broadhead out of their xbows. Swhacker makes a pretty good xbow expandable also. I would also recommend that you buy the xbow you have confidence in to start it will make you groups better from the get go.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7967436 09/09/20 10:28 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted by freerange
Now that im on the downhill side of deciding what bow to but i'm looking at other things. Im sure on BH the question on fixed blade versus expandable is probably like asking what gun to shoot or what game camera to buy. From what little i can gather it doesn't seem quite as controversial with xbows. Several have told me that with xbows the majority think the extra speed of xbow makes the expandable the better choice. Im open minded on this one and would like some opinions. Ive also been told that with expandables the field points and BH should fly to the same spot...?

You are correct. Lots of debate on xbow broadheads fixed vs expandable, brand, grain, etc and on & on. I've tried many and for last few years have been using fixed G5 I think its the Montec as I get the best consistency 1" group to 25 yards and around 2-2.5" at 40. Several deer, hogs and 2 bears. All pass through. Buddy shoots one of the Rage expandables but has since changed to G5.

I do try to pick up cheaper price broadheads and keep them on cheaper bolts for the hogs though

Last edited by Always ready 2 hunt; 09/09/20 10:29 PM.
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7967519 09/09/20 11:12 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Well, i continue to research and continue to get new opinions. Several have really really raved about the Scorpyd Aculeus. Any opinions.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7967771 09/10/20 01:00 AM
P
Peepaw on Fork Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
P
Swhacker has worked very well for me paired with a Centerpoint amped 415. Read the reviews about its accuracy.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7967833 09/10/20 01:39 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Well, i continue to research and continue to get new opinions. Several have really really raved about the Scorpyd Aculeus. Any opinions.

Check where your dealer support is located for that one.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: kmon11] #7967844 09/10/20 01:44 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by kmon1

Check where your dealer support is located for that one.

Good advice Kmon. I think they may be popular in other parts of the country. Im still leaning heavy to Mission. I really like the On Target shop thats close by and they offer good service and have a range etc and they are big on Mission and Tenpoint.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7968353 09/10/20 02:34 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
The only fixed blade broadhead I have used that actually hits the same spot as field point without any tuning or moving scope setting is the American Broadhead Company Sonic Bolt (and if you use 100 gr BH's just use the Sonic or Sonic Pro). These are also the only direct cut-on-contact 3 blade without vents. The sharpened blade goes right to the tip, and when you put pressure on the tip (impact) it actually presses the tips together instead of the force trying to separate them. The blades are change-able. One pack has 6 uses. In some cases if the BH zips through and doesn't bury in the ground you can wash it and reuse it without a problem. For expandables (which I don't care for as a whole), the SIK seems to make the best wound due to its off-set blades. They basically cut out a 3/8 in wide rectangle that is nearly 3 inches long. They are on sale at the SIK website for $49 for 6 of them. I got a lot of them at the ATA show last year and they did stay closed in flight and open even on a paper towel.I shot them from 380+ FPS bows. Did not use much on game as we were still checking them out. Going to use on black bear in two weeks out of a Xbow that doesn't like fixed blades. SIK is at Cabelas, Academy and other stores and on-line so they are becoming pretty accessible. You can replace the chisel point, ferrule and/or blades after use to put together a new one without full price.

Last edited by JABHunting; 09/10/20 02:35 PM.
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7973052 09/14/20 12:09 PM
B
bonehunts Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Freerange, I think you're headed in the right direction. I've read the thread several times and am just now jumping in the fray. I can tell you that I've been shooting a Mission MXB360 for the past 3 seasons and my only issue is the location of the safety switch. Mine was made BEFORE they moved them closer to the shooter so it's a little awkward. Other than that, and as you're eluding to, the closest archery shop to me is also a Mission dealer (I didn't buy it from them) and are ready to assist any time I've needed it.
All that said, yes, I can get 1" groups at 20-30 yards all day long but I've now been shooting at different bullseyes for the last couple of years due to a couple of "Robin Hood" shots that shattered my bolts.
I was actually just looking online at the new Sub-1 XR and am highly interested in it. I know Ravin's got a great xbow too but I kind of fell in love with my Mission and will have a hard time moving away from it.

As it relates to bolts/weights, you don't have to stick with the stock Mission ones. I got some custom Spynal Tapps made and I've been shooting lights-out with them for a couple of years. South Shore Archery is the place to go for those. Also, Wyvern's, as noted above, is a great source to get answers on questions and their prices seem to be fair.

As for fixed/mechanical, I actually shot a monster wt last year with a Rage mechanical and the buck was dead within 40 yards. That said, I'm considering a switch to fixed this year as I felt like the mechanicals had too many opportunities for error in flight.
Happy to answer more of your questions but I'm also a "casual" xbower.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: bonehunts] #7974036 09/15/20 12:34 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ive been at the lease a few days working very hard so havent been on here much. Im about to run out of time of my xbow research. Ive got a date with an extremely large WT in just a little over 2 weeks. Hes a real regular at the only two bow set ups I threw together last year(stars align sometimes). Since its getting late im gonna go with the Mission since its my gut choice so far in my incomplete research. Probably shoot it again on Wed and if accurate again I will walk out with it. I am learning there are so many different choices on arrows and weights and lengths and broad head(types and weights and brands etc.) that I will have to research further in future. For now I will probably go with the Mission arrows that are recommended for it and see how they shoot. If acceptable I will hunt with them this year and then consider more research next year if I think I could squeeze out any improvement. Still not sure on fixed or expandable but Ill decide by Wed and probably go with what salesman advises on brand. Keep comments coming on fixed or expandables. I normally like to keep it simple with less moving parts but I keep hearing(most often) with an xbow the expandable is the way to go.
I appreciate all yalls replies. PM with Kmon and he was real knowledgeable and very helpful. bonehead, your reply was late to the party but I liked the sound of your reply so I may pm you when I catch my breath tomorrow.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7976103 09/16/20 02:45 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Todays the day I go reshoot and probably buy the Mission. Ive got a last minute question in case any of yall can reply. The crank/cocking/decock device is an add on for 169. I dont mind the money if I gain something. Its not that hard to pull back with rope and the device seems like its just one more thing to drag around and heavy and clunky. They say using the crank may help accuracy a LITTLE bit since it insures even side to side cocking. Decocking can be a hassle but arent those blunt arrows you shoot into ground ok? Still uncertain on Broadheads too but ill wing it and research more later. Thanks for yalls help.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7976246 09/16/20 04:00 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
The crank I bought one and almost never used it. There might be a little accuracy advantage to it but it is very little compared to the cocking rope which is a good improvement in ease of cocking and accuracy.

The reason I bought the Wicked Ridge with a cocking device is so the wife can take care of cocking her own crossbow.

Use the decocking bolts or i just have a target to decock it into with a practice arrow in the truck or at camp, easy and daily when hunting check of your zero.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: kmon11] #7976344 09/16/20 04:53 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks, Kmon. I understand and pretty much agree with all your points. I like the idea of rechecking zero by shooting an arrow at target to decock. Walking out the door with checkbook in hand.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7976369 09/16/20 05:04 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
If you ever hunt pigs or need to get a follow up shot the cocking device will come in handy. It’s hard to kock it in a tree stand but I have done it. On the Ten Point you can get the built in rope. That’s what I have.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7982649 09/21/20 06:55 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Because I posted to your post Freerange, I thought I'd show you what my 325 fps Parker Hammer got done this last Saturday afternoon. 28 yards came in from 1/2 mile away when he saw my decoy. Came by the side of my blind at about 10 feet. What an adrenaline rush. That crossbow is rated at 325 fps but actually only reads about 312 thru my chronograph.[Linked Image]
Actual shot was right at 28 yards. Parker Red Hot Bolt and 100 grain Red Hot fixed blade. Through heart. Complete pass through. Ran 50 yards and DRT. Sorry about the picture. I was all by myself.

Last edited by Huskerron; 09/21/20 06:58 PM.
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7982750 09/21/20 08:13 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Good shot og a good speed goat

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: kmon11] #7982991 09/21/20 11:13 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Husk, good shot. I bought the Mission and ive got more to talk about but im starting a new thread so we can get off the which one to buy idea.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide