Page 1 of 2 1 2
Long Range Shooting advise needed #7982177 09/21/20 01:43 PM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
I am preparing for an elk hunt next year and one of things I need to do is I need to be comfortable with shots 300 - 400 yards. Before I can get one my local ranges Long Range course I have to shoot a 5 shot group at 200 yards and the entire group has to be within 1 MOA.

Here is my question: When I do this, how fast should I try and do this? Would you let the barrel completely cool?

Greg

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7982256 09/21/20 02:45 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
What rifle is it and what barrel contour? Under general range shooting conditions, 2" group at 200 yards could be a tall order for 5 shots with a light weight hunting rifle.

But being comfortable at the range and being able to shoot in the field out to 300-400 yards is totally different. I've worked with several shooters for longer range shots, and it's never off the bench. It's in the seated or kneeling position or leaning off a tree and being able to execute THAT shot to simulate field shooting positions.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: ChadTRG42] #7982422 09/21/20 04:22 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
wow. Thats a tall order. First of all understand that 1 MOA at 200 yards is 2" and not 1". A lot of every day folks that dont get into shooting that much(like me) are used to associating everything about MOA at 100 yards cause its so common to shoot at that distance. 5 shots inside 2" at 200 yards is difficult for most guns to do without even factoring in the shooter. I guess you are saying its some type of policy at that range...? Im curious if others know if this is a common policy.
To answer your question, I would definitely take a lot of time between shots if they allow it. You dont want the barrel to heat up. You arent trying to simulate field situations, you are just trying to get approval for moving up.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7982455 09/21/20 04:39 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Hmmmmm......5 shot group, 200 yards, 1 MOA????? Good luck with most really accurate lightweight hunting rifles.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7982530 09/21/20 05:28 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Take boxes of ammo and have several targets at the ready

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: Hudbone] #7982538 09/21/20 05:32 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I claim that my deer rifle shoots 1" groups at 100 but admittedly thats on a good day(with ME as shooter). At 200 im pretty sure I would need lots of ammo to get 5 in 2" at 200.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7982552 09/21/20 05:36 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by GPS
I am preparing for an elk hunt next year and one of things I need to do is I need to be comfortable with shots 300 - 400 yards. Before I can get one my local ranges Long Range course I have to shoot a 5 shot group at 200 yards and the entire group has to be within 1 MOA.

Here is my question: When I do this, how fast should I try and do this? Would you let the barrel completely cool?

If you can meet the criteria d\to take the course, you don't need it. Maybe just a few afternoons on their range. This isn't Fossil Pointe, in Wise County is it?

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 09/21/20 05:36 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7982633 09/21/20 06:42 PM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
onlysmith&wes - Yes it is Fossil Point.

Greg

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7982639 09/21/20 06:49 PM
P
papa45 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I'm with Chad. 2" groups at 200 yards is doable with a typical hunting rifle off a shooting bench, but it's a whole lot different in the field, standing, sitting, or kneeling.

I too am getting ready for an elk hunt and have been told to be comfortable with taking a 300 yard shot. That won't be a problem as long as my guide is carrying along a concrete shooting bench for me to use.

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7982669 09/21/20 07:14 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Y’all need to call Jason Garvey (FiremanJG) on this forum and setup a day with him. I promise you’ll be a lot closer to ready to go after a day with him than you would be a year on your own. Pay him to shorten the learning curve...he knows his stuff and is a great teacher. I’ve never heard of anyone not being satisfied with a day on the range with Garvey.

Regardless, good luck on your hunts and I hope you have a great time.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: Judd] #7982673 09/21/20 07:16 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Judd
Y’all need to call Jason Garvey (FiremanJG) on this forum and setup a day with him. I promise you’ll be a lot closer to ready to go after a day with him than you would be a year on your own. Pay him to shorten the learning curve...he knows his stuff and is a great teacher. I’ve never heard of anyone not being satisfied with a day on the range with Garvey.

clap

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: CitySlickerHunter] #7982730 09/21/20 07:51 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by CitySlickerHunter

clap

X3 - I highly suggest taking his course. You will leave a better shooter! And he’s a darn good guy to spend an afternoon with. 👍

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7982748 09/21/20 08:11 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by GPS
onlysmith&wes - Yes it is Fossil Point.

As I recall, it was three shots, and I did it with a Tikka CTR. That was not to take the course, but just to get to use their long range. Are you wanting to take some lessons there, or just use their long range?

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7982752 09/21/20 08:14 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
you will likely be shooting off shooting sticks/tripod

practice with those

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7983681 09/22/20 02:34 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Sight your rifle in for a 200 yd zero and just practice shooting from prone position and with a bipod. I would put a bipod on my rifle if it's an open country hunt, actually I have a bipod that never leaves my rifle while hunting.
You just need to learn how to use the reticle in your scope to hit your targets at 300-400 yds. A steady rest is most important. With enough magnification it is not hard, variable scope helps.
Elk are a big target, learn the drop and you'll be good.
Chances are you will not have the time to dope the wind and mess around before a shot. I think you need to practice getting ready for a shot quickly and settled in for the shot.
Elk aren't going to stand around waiting for you to get settled, well maybe if the stalk is a good one.
Keep your scope dialed down for general hunting and then crank it up for the shot, you will need a big field of view to locate the game before the shot.

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: Wytex] #7983708 09/22/20 02:46 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Wytex
Sight your rifle in for a 200 yd zero and just practice shooting from prone position and with a bipod. I would put a bipod on my rifle if it's an open country hunt, actually I have a bipod that never leaves my rifle while hunting.
You just need to learn how to use the reticle in your scope to hit your targets at 300-400 yds. A steady rest is most important. With enough magnification it is not hard, variable scope helps.
Chances are you will not have the time to dope the wind and mess around before a shot. I think you need to practice getting ready for a shot quickly and settled in for the shot.
Elk aren't going to stand around waiting for you to get settled, well maybe if the stalk is a good one.
Keep your scope dialed down for general hunting and then crank it up for the shot, you will need a big field of view to locate the game before the shot.

Good, practical advice from an obviously experienced hunter. I have bipods on most of my rifles and use them on whitetails, hogs, coyotes, etc. Hitting targets at known ranges is great for making sure your equipment and your skills are solid. After that, go to the long range at Fossil Pointe, and have a spotter tell you which steel target to hit, 3, 4 or 500 yards. Hit what they call in short amount of time. You'll know when you're ready.

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7983859 09/22/20 04:03 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by GPS

What is your level of proficiency now? What kind of groups are you currently shooting at 200?

I would assume you are shooting a fairly light contour barrel for carrying in the mountains. If that is the case let it cool between shots when shooting for groups.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7983910 09/22/20 04:30 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
We have a great friend that came up to hunt, he is very accomplished lang range shooter. He carried a heavy, 308 rifle that he shot lights out at very long range. After a day if him not being able to get a good sight picture the spouse told him dial that dang scope down, no need for 20x for deer or elk.
His biggest issue was getting set up and ready for a solid shot. You just need to get settled fast and get your breathing under control.
My 300wsm is zeroed at 200 yds and with the B&C reticle I know exactly where it hits at out to 500 yds.
I prefer a bipod, less to carry in your hands compared to shooting sticks. Your guide may offer to carry something for you but you should be ready to tote your own stuff. A bipod is less to worry about because it is always there and ready to deploy.

You may also find your point of impact is different at altitude, and in the extreme cold. Check your rifle when you get to the outfitters place.
The first shot is the one that counts the most , imo.

If you drive up stop at a local gun range and check your shooting, our public range has a long range area, no qualifying needed to shoot it.
Curious as to the caliber you will be using ?

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7984026 09/22/20 05:47 PM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
Thanks everyone for the advise and input. I have a lot to do, glad I have a year to prepare. I don't have a set of bipods. I would like any thoughts on what I should consider.

Greg

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7984108 09/22/20 06:24 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Sounds like getting with FiremanJG is a great idea.

pm sent

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7984147 09/22/20 06:43 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
"His biggest issue was getting set up and ready for a solid shot. You just need to get settled fast and get your breathing under control." Climbing the ridges in West Texas a couple of weekends ago, the biggest issue were the danged ear plugs I have started using. Had to wait for the sound of my heart pumping in my ear to stop.

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: GPS] #7984431 09/22/20 09:30 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I zero my rifles at 300 and only practice from that range outward. You need to do a LOT of shooting with a good rifle, with a great trigger and a scope designed for long range shooting.
I have a close friend that shoots in the field out to 1000 yards regularly. He says one of his goals to to eliminate as many things that can cause regular misses and a heavy or creepy trigger is at the top of the page. He has customized a couple of rifles for me, not custom build just tweak, and the triggers are perfect crisp at 2 lbs.

Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: Judd] #7984915 09/23/20 04:24 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler

He told you the best way to achieve what you asked..

[Linked Image]
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7984916 09/23/20 04:25 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Good, practical advice from an obviously experienced hunter. I have bipods on most of my rifles and use them on whitetails, hogs, coyotes, etc. Hitting targets at known ranges is great for making sure your equipment and your skills are solid. After that, go to the long range at Fossil Pointe, and have a spotter tell you which steel target to hit, 3, 4 or 500 yards. Hit what they call in short amount of time. You'll know when you're ready.

This guy... Not so much...

[Linked Image]
Re: Long Range Shooting advise needed [Re: Bee'z] #7984969 09/23/20 10:23 AM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by 2Beez
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

This guy... Not so much...

Specifically, what piece of advice from Wytex or myself is, "Not so much"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide