Forums46
Topics536,986
Posts9,719,148
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7976980 09/16/20 11:54 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Lonestar97
Originally Posted by RiverRunner
im a rookie at the actual hunting of ducks but its been in my family for generations.. ive been around it my entire life just didnt do it. Mainly a turkey / deer hunter. And thats not my first hunt by any means just my first to find the actual spot lol.

Good deal, my man. Just curious as to how you determined it to be a cinnamon teal in eclipse plumage. What traits did you see to identify as a cinnamon? I may have been killing loads of cinnamon teal without realizing it!

Well its eyes were red, the bill was black, the feet were all yellow, and it was a drake so it was that really cinnamon color on its breast, neck, and head. It had no white streak on its head, the eyes werent black, it had no green streak on its head, aaand not to mention it vocalized twice and it was not the sound of a BWT or GWT call

Could very well be a cinnamon. I had a biologist tell me we get more cinny's this time of year, but can't tell most of the time,because they aren't plumed or colored out yet. Very rarely will you see ANY of the species of teal plumed out in Sept. You tell drake BWG's by the solid white stripe on their wings this time of year.

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7976989 09/17/20 12:04 AM
T
takemking Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I remember my first coot....errr cinnamon teal

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: DUKFVR] #7977060 09/17/20 12:52 AM
L
Lonestar97 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
i could be wrong, but for sure posting a picture of it when i get it back. And its no coot because coots are black with a white bill.. this was rust colored with the tealish color on its wings but no light blue above that like i see in a lot pictures

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: takemking] #7977071 09/17/20 12:57 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Guy
I shot a limit once of bull cinnamon teal...

[Linked Image]

This is the crap I was talking about in the migratory ot thread

One guy posts a pic of gadwall calling them cinnamon teal. Yes, 95% of hunters know what they are, but it's the 5%that don't that we actually need to be helping, not confusing.

Originally Posted by takemking
I remember my first coot....errr cinnamon teal

And above is exactly why duck hunters are our own worst enemy.

Nobody wants to help new duck hunters it seems, just make fun of them for not knowing anything.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7977088 09/17/20 01:05 AM
L
Lonestar97 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
Luckily im not that dumb lol. I knew what it was or i wouldn't have shot it in the first place since its early teal season..not big duck season

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7977100 09/17/20 01:11 AM
L
Lonestar97 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
Regardless im going to abandon this thread now yall until i get the bird back and prove how lucky i got woot

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7977148 09/17/20 01:30 AM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
im a rookie at the actual hunting of ducks but its been in my family for generations.. ive been around it my entire life just didnt do it. Mainly a turkey / deer hunter. And thats not my first hunt by any means just my first to find the actual spot lol.

Good deal, my man. Just curious as to how you determined it to be a cinnamon teal in eclipse plumage. What traits did you see to identify as a cinnamon? I may have been killing loads of cinnamon teal without realizing it!

Well its eyes were red, the bill was black, the feet were all yellow, and it was a drake so it was that really cinnamon color on its breast, neck, and head. It had no white streak on its head, the eyes werent black, it had no green streak on its head, aaand not to mention it vocalized twice and it was not the sound of a BWT or GWT call

Damn, you shot a young woody drake....

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: 2flyfish4] #7977236 09/17/20 02:22 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4

Damn, you shot a young woody drake....

roflmao nailed it.

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7977272 09/17/20 02:44 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I got lucky and popped one when I was 14. Had that thing mounted on the wing and it was hanging on the wall in my first apartment. It was a beautiful mount! My roommate hung some girl’s bra around it’s neck, and at a party we had, that girl came over and noticed her bra up there. She got all bent out of shape and ripped the damn thing right off the wall. Broke his friggin neck off. Man I was ticked.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7978013 09/17/20 05:16 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Lonestar97,
I expected you to say you killed it somewhere farther west. Just to let you know the reason why they are questioning is because of cinnamon teal range. The pineywoods of east texas is either non included or right on the edge of the migrating range on most maps. It would be a rare bird in east texas. But anything is possible with migrating birds. Sea ducks have been known to show up on Texoma from time to time for example. With a red eye it would probably be an adult bird, but still it would be in eclipse and not look much different than any other teal if not in hand. For that reason most people would not get an early season teal mounted either. So don't be surprised when some hunters question it.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Sniper John] #7978573 09/18/20 01:02 AM
L
Lonestar97 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
nah i killed it right here in ETX lol

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7978596 09/18/20 01:25 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
You killed a wood duck dude.

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: ducknbass] #7979222 09/18/20 04:51 PM
L
Lonestar97 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
Poor guy, I’d be mad too if someone killed a cinnamon in an uncommon place but I didn’t 🥺

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7979238 09/18/20 05:05 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
My birdwatching buddies see birds in places they're not supposed to be. I've seen Black Vultures in N. Kansas.

If you said you shot an Emperor Penguin I'd be skeptical. A Cinnamon Teal, nah.

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7979274 09/18/20 05:42 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Poor guy, I’d be mad too if someone killed a cinnamon in an uncommon place but I didn’t 🥺

Post a picture of it ole son!

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7979276 09/18/20 05:44 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Ive been hunting along damn time and still have yet to see a Cinnamon killed. Id love one on the wall though. Beautiful birds!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: ducknbass] #7979331 09/18/20 06:42 PM
L
Lonestar97 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
I think I’ve said multiple times I will be posting a picture when I get it back from the taxidermist

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7979472 09/18/20 08:59 PM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Reminds me of another thread that popped up yesterday on another board - dude posted he shot an albino teal and people called him out for shooting a spoonie. Took the pic down while everyone blasted him. Reposted a couple of hours later stating he confirmed with GW that it was in fact an albino BW teal. I'm no biologist or expert so not commenting either way on the pic below. I'm not saying Lonestar is right but maybe is. I guess we'll find out when he posts his pics.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7979481 09/18/20 09:06 PM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I need another angle, but that bill sure does look spoonie to me

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: js4242] #7979538 09/18/20 09:48 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by js4242
Reminds me of another thread that popped up yesterday on another board - dude posted he shot an albino teal and people called him out for shooting a spoonie. Took the pic down while everyone blasted him. Reposted a couple of hours later stating he confirmed with GW that it was in fact an albino BW teal. I'm no biologist or expert so not commenting either way on the pic below. I'm not saying Lonestar is right but maybe is. I guess we'll find out when he posts his pics.

[Linked Image]

Moral of the story. People with forearm tats really aren't smart.

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7979545 09/18/20 09:54 PM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
A lot of folks are saying the same thing and just because the GW said it was a teal doesn't make it one either. As long as the GW said he was good to go, I guess that's all that matters now. Can't give him CPR. All I know is I wouldn't have posted that on a forum in the first place without being dang sure I knew what it was.

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: ducknbass] #7979568 09/18/20 10:18 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by js4242

[Linked Image]

Moral of the story. People with forearm tats really aren't smart.

Lots of pictures of known albinos online. The bird that man with all the calls is holding looks too big to be a teal, but his arm is outstretched closer to the camera to show his tattoo. The feet on that duck are awful big too. Look at how pointy and short the wings are in the teal picture below and the ones Greg is holding in his pic. Then look how long the wing feathers are on the one above and on the known albino shoveler pic. Teal are really tiny as far as ducks go. But pictures can be deceiving depending on the angle and distance, so I'm not going to call it either way.

Shoveler
[Linked Image]

Blue Wing Teal
[Linked Image]

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Lonestar97] #7979985 09/19/20 03:51 AM
J
Jiggamitch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Geez guys, is it impossible that he got a cinnamon teal? You could at least wait until he posts the pic.

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: Jiggamitch] #7980340 09/19/20 04:50 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
Geez guys, is it impossible that he got a cinnamon teal? You could at least wait until he posts the pic.

If that description is not enough. Stick to deer hunting.

Re: What is the preferred habitat for teal? [Re: ducknbass] #7980654 09/19/20 11:21 PM
J
Jiggamitch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch

If that description is not enough. Stick to deer hunting.

I guess we'll see when he gets it back from taxidermy. Never hunted deer in my life tho.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide