Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
TPWD hunt draw success - advice? #7977090 09/17/20 01:07 AM
jason o Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Been pretty lucky so far on the draws. If anyone has hunted either of these places, please let me know your thoughts or suggestions, what to expect, etc. Would really appreciate it!

Inks Lake/Longhorn Cavern SP - Gun deer either sex
Hill Country SNA - Gun deer antlerless/spike

also

Black Gap - MD archery - hunted here several times before, but always open for any advice anyone has!

Re: TPWD hunt draw success - advice? [Re: jason o] #7977240 09/17/20 02:24 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Dang, I was really hoping for the Inks Lake hunt. I hear it is terrible. You should refuse to buy the permit.

(JK, congrats and good luck)

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: TPWD hunt draw success - advice? [Re: jason o] #7977610 09/17/20 01:31 PM
jason o Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
roflmao

Re: TPWD hunt draw success - advice? [Re: jason o] #7977852 09/17/20 03:40 PM
T
TOO Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
T
J-O, congrats on the hill country hunts.

Both beautiful places.

A buddy & I hunted HC SNA December 2018, same hunt category as yours. There were two or three hunts that year. Looks like there's 4 hunts with a lot of hunters this year. You'll be assigned to a blind, they don't want you moving around at all, but allowed a pop up blind next to their brush blinds. Bring a folding chair.

Staff was very friendly & helpful. Few days before the hunts they trinkled corn at each blind's sendero.

Don't expect any exotics even though listed as legal. Possible on seeing pigs. Buddy hiked up 1/4-1/3 mile south from HQ parking lot to his blind, bitched about it, and killed a pig and a very nice doe.

I saw 3-4 does the first evening late at spot outside of the prepared sendero from my blind. barely shooting light & not a proper shot due to light level. Saw twins fawns, button & doe, all four hunts. Also saw a young 8 pt and the largest antlered 11 pt buck I've ever seen in the Hill county, (not the SNA, all the of the hill county) outside a high fence, easily a 150+ class buck.. Of course didn't bring a camera but described it to SNA staff and they confirmed that they've seen that buck. Absolutely huge.

Be ready for short shots, 60-70 max at most blinds on pre- cut mini-sendero's out of pre-made, pre-corned brush blinds with cattle panel or metal gate frames. Figure if doing one of the last two hunts, the deer probably be a bit spooky. Deer moved early & late.

My area had a bit of a natural almost senderos running close to 100 yds in a couple other directions. With a little adjustment of cedar branches I was able hunt 3 directions. Couple places along the creek bottom have more open fields and edge habitat.

A lot of blinds have senderos cut in only one direction so if can find another shooting lane from the blind it might help with skitterish deer.

We thought the north end was a better habitat & looked more "deer'ish" but most deer & the pig were taken south of HQ. One guy, nicknamed "Alabama", took three anterless deer. Your mileage may vary.

Best advice I'd give is if can find a different shooting lane from your blind not pre-cut that allows for safe shooting, corn that.

They have an old, but redone house/lodge way up north end of the SNA. Potable water, a/c, heat, etc. Very nice place to lodge up. $50 a night? Book it,won't regret it. Full kitchen and wood grill. Didn't have a coffee pot, if remember right, but one of the other hunters brought one.

5 of us stayed there, only buddy & me knew each other but it was like being in a long time hunting camp, enjoyed the hunt tremendously, but the lodging experience sealed the deal on making this one of the most enjoyable public hunts I've done.

You'll enjoy hunting there.

Good luck on both hunts

Texas Outdoor Organizers
www.outdoorstexas.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide