Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Hunter Daddy] #7976554 09/16/20 06:37 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Hunter Daddy
WOW!!!! I Cannot believe it. I had 17 points for Gun Deer Either Sex and would you believe it. I'm going to hunt the Chaparral WMA in December. Cubing of points worked!

Man that's awesome! Congrats on your win!

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Hunter Daddy] #7976603 09/16/20 07:12 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hunter Daddy
WOW!!!! I Cannot believe it. I had 17 points for Gun Deer Either Sex and would you believe it. I'm going to hunt the Chaparral WMA in December. Cubing of points worked!

Didn't work for us and we had almost 20 points too, hoping our odds are good the next few year with the higher point holders getting picked through

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7976631 09/16/20 07:30 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Binary
Yeah, I'm going to say the cubing system implemented this year just royally screwed a bunch of applicants. I basically won 1 that only 350ish people apply to and has around an 11% chance to win (not counting LPs), and 1 that has 167ish people apply to with around an 11% chance to win (not counting LPs)...maybe I'll take something on 2nd draw... I'm going to guess quite a few people will be spending a lot less on draws next year if they don't reverse course on that cubing nonsense with a quickness :P

Can you explain how it screws people with more LPs?

I have to be missing something here. Also, I have never understood starting to apply for hunts when there will always be someone ahead of you. Are there some hunts that are allocated for LP holders, and some that are completely random?

I really dont get it.

If I had 2 for gun deer, cubed is 8. If you have 15 gun deer, cubed is 3375. You are going to have a lot more points.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976651 09/16/20 07:43 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Congrats to everyone who was successful this draw, hope you all have some great hunts.... Another dozen unsuccessful for us, so adding to the points in the future.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Ktexas14] #7976684 09/16/20 08:04 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Ktexas14
Yeah, I'm going to say the cubing system implemented this year just royally screwed a bunch of applicants. I basically won 1 that only 350ish people apply to and has around an 11% chance to win (not counting LPs), and 1 that has 167ish people apply to with around an 11% chance to win (not counting LPs)...maybe I'll take something on 2nd draw... I'm going to guess quite a few people will be spending a lot less on draws next year if they don't reverse course on that cubing nonsense with a quickness :P

I have to be missing something here. Also, I have never understood starting to apply for hunts when there will always be someone ahead of you. Are there some hunts that are allocated for LP holders, and some that are completely random?

I really dont get it.

If I had 2 for gun deer, cubed is 8. If you have 15 gun deer, cubed is 3375. You are going to have a lot more points.

Damn you math!

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Ktexas14] #7976722 09/16/20 08:20 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

I really dont get it.

I didn't say that it screwed people with more LPs... I'm saying it screwed a bunch of people...namely those that didn't have a ton of LPs (not really sure why there was any confusion about that), like people that are new (and probably now discouraged from applying again because the system was HEAVILY weighted against them) or people who have only been applying for a few years. I got no issues with giving people an extra draw based on LPs but cubing? The value placed on every previous year that someone loses a draw is insane in a cubing system. Whoever came up with that idea should be fired and flogged (lol, JK!). Sure, the system makes a few people happy - who wouldn't be happy if offered exponentially greater odds of winning? There's a few other lotteries that I wouldn't mind those kind of odds LOL

Ultimately, it's a lottery and every single person who enters a specific draw every year pays the exact same amount to enter but gets different odds of winning...1 additional name in the hat for every year you lost was one thing, but cubing? It's crazy... I withheld my judgment on the cubing call until now...but I know at least a dozen people who put in for most every hunt every year and they always take some wins and about 80% of them won nothing thus far this year....was really nearly impossible not to if your name is in every hat...so the results of the cubing system are obvious.

Essentially, in your example the person with 15 LPs (they paid $45 for) is treated as if they paid $10,125 (the cubed value based on the new number of draw entries) ...even more assuming they enter into multiple draws within a category and are losing as the value carries over to the next draw in the category... but the new guy who put in for a draw still just gets a $3 ticket value. Sad thing is a new person who applies for lots of hunts could have easily donated more money to TPWD via the draws in a single year than some of the people with 15+ points have over their 15 years of applying (because some people only apply to a few hunts every year).

Look, TPWD is free to do as they please - I'm simply suggesting the results of the cubing system as I've seen thus far are going to discourage participation not just of the "apply to a few hunts person" newer people but also of the newer people who donate hundreds of dollars every year to TPWD via the draws... it's ultimately going to hurt the system. It was a idiotic move by TPWD and they should switch back to the previous system.

Last edited by Binary; 09/16/20 08:28 PM.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7976739 09/16/20 08:26 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K

I really dont get it.

I didn't say that it screwed people with more LPs... I'm saying it screwed a bunch of people...namely those that didn't have a ton of LPs (not really sure why there was any confusion about that), like people that are new (and probably now discouraged from applying again because the system was HEAVILY weighted against them) or people who have only been applying for a few years. I got no issues with giving people an extra draw based on LPs but cubing? The value placed on every previous year that someone loses a draw is insane in a cubing system. Whoever came up with that idea should be fired and flogged (lol, JK!). Sure, the system makes a few people happy - who wouldn't be happy if offered exponentially greater odds of winning? There's a few other lotteries that I wouldn't mind those kind of odds LOL

Ultimately, it's a lottery and every single person who enters a specific draw every year pays the exact same amount to enter but gets different odds of winning...1 additional name in the hat for every year you lost was one thing, but cubing? It's crazy... I withheld my judgment on the cubing call until now...but I know at least a dozen people who put in for most every hunt every year and they always take some wins and about 80% of them won nothing thus far this year....was really nearly impossible not to if your name is in every hat...so the results of the cubing system are obvious.

Essentially, in your example the person with 15 LPs (they paid $45 for) is treated as if they paid $10,125 (the cubed value based on the new number of draw entries) ...even more assuming they enter into multiple draws within a category and are losing as the value carries over to the next draw in the category... but the new guy who put in for a draw still just gets a $3 ticket value. So sad thing is a new person who applies for lots of hunts could have easily donated more money to TPWD via the draws in a single year than some of the people with 15+ points have over their 15 years of applying (because some people only apply to a few hunts).

Look, TPWD is free to do as they please - I'm simply suggesting the results of the cubing system as I've seen thus far are going to discourage participation not just of the "apply to a few hunts person" but also of the people who donate hundreds of dollars every year to TPWD via the draws... it's ultimately going to hurt the system. It was a idiotic move by TPWD and they should switch back to the previous system.

So are they really putting your name in the hat 3375 times compare to my 8? That gives a 225x greater likelihood instead of like 7.5 times greater.

That is for sure dumb AF.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Ktexas14] #7976759 09/16/20 08:34 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

I really dont get it.

Essentially, in your example the person with 15 LPs (they paid $45 for) is treated as if they paid $10,125 (the cubed value based on the new number of draw entries) ...even more assuming they enter into multiple draws within a category and are losing as the value carries over to the next draw in the category... but the new guy who put in for a draw still just gets a $3 ticket value. So sad thing is a new person who applies for lots of hunts could have easily donated more money to TPWD via the draws in a single year than some of the people with 15+ points have over their 15 years of applying (because some people only apply to a few hunts).

Look, TPWD is free to do as they please - I'm simply suggesting the results of the cubing system as I've seen thus far are going to discourage participation not just of the "apply to a few hunts person" but also of the people who donate hundreds of dollars every year to TPWD via the draws... it's ultimately going to hurt the system. It was a idiotic move by TPWD and they should switch back to the previous system.

So are they really putting your name in the hat 3375 times compare to my 8? That gives a 225x greater likelihood instead of like 7.5 times greater.

That is for sure dumb AF.

Yes, they switched to cubing this year and that is exactly what they are doing. They are essentially attaching an EXPONENTIALLY higher value to people who have participated in the system longer, than to those who have participated for less time (esp. affects people who are brand new or only been applying for a few years). It's insane.. I'm actually going to look up the application of lottery regulations to the hunt draws in Texas and see if they violated any laws with this change - weighting the scales to this extreme is just ridiculous...no one really cared about an extra name in the hat for every year... but cubing? I'm surprised any rational person thought that would be acceptable. If I find a legal issue with the system, I'll be speaking to the attorney general about it. One might argue that they weighted the scales so much they essentially rigged the lottery in favor of a specific group of people.

Last edited by Binary; 09/16/20 08:52 PM.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7976789 09/16/20 08:58 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Yes, they switched to cubing this year and that is exactly what they are doing. They are essentially attaching an EXPONENTIALLY higher value to people who have participated in the system longer, than to those who have participated for less time (esp. affects people who are brand new or only been applying for a few years). It's insane.. I'm actually going to look up the application of lottery regulations to the hunt draws in Texas and see if they violated any laws with this change - weighting the scales to this extreme is just ridiculous...no one really cared about an extra name in the hat for every year... but cubing? I'm surprised any rational person thought that would acceptable. If I find a legal issue with the system, I'll be speaking to the attorney general about it. One might argue that they weighted the scales so much they essentially rigged the lottery in favor of a specific group of people.

It's not only making it more difficult for new people. I enter for literally damn near everything, so I have won in a lot of categories over the last 3 or 4 years and reset my preference points. I get they want to reward the long time customers. But is my $400+ in contributions every year not more valuable than the the guy that spent $60 to get 20 preference points just so he could draw the chap? I mean we also don't want to turn it into a pay to play system. That's what is driving a lot of people out of hunting. No system is perfect. But this definitely means applying for a few years is basically buying a preference point until your count is up. I'm happy to see a lot of the guys that do have 15+ points finally get the hunt they've been putting in after. Sucks for me, but it's great for them. This has been the fewest hunts I have ever won. I got Laguna Atascosa Archery deer, but they give out something like 700 permits, so it's a high chance draw anyway. I've averaged winning 3-5 hunts a year. This year has been quiet different.

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 09/16/20 09:10 PM.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976890 09/16/20 10:29 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
You can't beat The Man because they will just change the rules and this new cube system sucks! So if everyone that did not draw will send in complaint letters, in a couple of years it might make it back on the TPWD agenda to discuss changing again to who knows what.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976979 09/16/20 11:51 PM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
I think it sucks but after the first couple years of this, the odds will shift. Those high LP's guys will get reset and others will start getting drawn. The thing with Loyalty points is just that, LOYALTY, and for awhile now, they haven't really meant much. Now they do. And I'm not even one who has a lot of LPs. My highest point count was 4.

My daughter just drew The Chap today with only 1LP. Granted that was for A/S category.
I drew Balcones Canyonlands general with only 4LP's!

My biggest gripe is that they didn't really announce the cubing until after applications were available. Maybe they did and I just missed it. I had most of my applications submitted and paid for before I learned of the new rules. I honestly didn't think we'd hit on any. I was genuinely surprised today! But oh well, next year I'll be more selective and they'll ultimately make less money.

I don't have an answer but it's not all bad either.

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready!
-Anonymous
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: TxDiver] #7977124 09/17/20 01:19 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by TxDiver
My cup runneth over this year. Earlier I got Javelina at Chaparral, today I got Gun Deer - Antlerless/Spike at Cooper WMA and General Deer at Balcones Canyonlands NWR.

Congrats. I drew the exact same 3 hunts. Drew Chap Javelina back in August for February 26-28 and just saw I also drew 2 more today, General Deer at Balcones Canyonlands NWR for December 4-6 and Cooper WMA Antlerless/Spike for Nov. 28-30.

Over the past 11 years, I have only drawn 3 hunts total, so was quite surprised that I have drawn 3 in one year.

I know we will be at Cooper at the same time, but what dates did you draw Chap and Balcones?

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7977144 09/17/20 01:28 AM
B
Bullets&Broadheads Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Congrats to all drawn, but it's hard dealing with the disappointment of another no-draw year.
After not being drawn for 4 years, I got GD-Either Sex at Las Palomas WMA-Arroyo Colorado Unit with my dad.
I'm most excited about bringing him down to see and hunt that part of Texas.
If anyone has tips for this WMA, please share if you have time.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Bullets&Broadheads] #7977169 09/17/20 01:42 AM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bullets&Broadheads
Congrats to all drawn, but it's hard dealing with the disappointment of another no-draw year.
After not being drawn for 4 years, I got GD-Either Sex at Las Palomas WMA-Arroyo Colorado Unit with my dad.

I haven’t hunted there, but I’ve hunted properties that cracked up to it. They had tons of Nilgai and some dang good deer.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7977204 09/17/20 02:04 AM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L

Essentially, in your example the person with 15 LPs (they paid $45 for) is treated as if they paid $10,125 (the cubed value based on the new number of draw entries) ...even more assuming they enter into multiple draws within a category and are losing as the value carries over to the next draw in the category... but the new guy who put in for a draw still just gets a $3 ticket value. Sad thing is a new person who applies for lots of hunts could have easily donated more money to TPWD via the draws in a single year than some of the people with 15+ points have over their 15 years of applying (because some people only apply to a few hunts every year).

Look, TPWD is free to do as they please - I'm simply suggesting the results of the cubing system as I've seen thus far are going to discourage participation not just of the "apply to a few hunts person" newer people but also of the newer people who donate hundreds of dollars every year to TPWD via the draws... it's ultimately going to hurt the system. It was a idiotic move by TPWD and they should switch back to the previous system.

The sent out surveys last year and asked the customers what they didn't like about the online draw system and TPWD listened, boo friken hoo Binary, something had to be doen, some of us who have applied for almost 20 years and haven't drawn a buck hunt like it.

Yes, they switched to cubing this year and that is exactly what they are doing. They are essentially attaching an EXPONENTIALLY higher value to people who have participated in the system longer, than to those who have participated for less time (esp. affects people who are brand new or only been applying for a few years). It's insane.. I'm actually going to look up the application of lottery regulations to the hunt draws in Texas and see if they violated any laws with this change - weighting the scales to this extreme is just ridiculous...no one really cared about an extra name in the hat for every year... but cubing? I'm surprised any rational person thought that would be acceptable. If I find a legal issue with the system, I'll be speaking to the attorney general about it. One might argue that they weighted the scales so much they essentially rigged the lottery in favor of a specific group of people.

Illegal?! mad the can make whatever rules they want as long as its publicized, many state draw systems use a multiplier on preference points.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 09/17/20 02:34 AM.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Bullets&Broadheads] #7977230 09/17/20 02:17 AM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Bullets&Broadheads

I hunted it last year, its a mosquito infested black gumbo swamp filled with coyotes an rare pygmy sized deer (I know cause I checked the cards on some of their game cams at the feeders that had months of pictures). All in all its not great, the place is surrounded by clear cut blackland surgarcane fields and wind farms, good luck.

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

I haven’t hunted there, but I’ve hunted properties that cracked up to it. They had tons of Nilgai and some dang good deer.

You sure your not talking about the longoria unit? they told us the had one cow nilgai on the arroyo colorado.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 09/17/20 02:24 AM.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7977235 09/17/20 02:21 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I got drawn for antlerless / spike at Enchanted Rock in January

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7977237 09/17/20 02:22 AM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I agree Binary. They should have gone with a squaring of points cubing is just an insane advantage.

Ive been putting in for 10 years and have quite a few LP in some categories but 1 in most as I dont play the pay to hunt lease game. I use the TPWD draw hunts to get the oppertunity to hunt big game, As mentioned Binary and I pay hundreds of dollars to draw while the high level Lps may pay $10s of dollars. I agree they have dont the same with the public draw as with private lease. Pricing me out.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7977239 09/17/20 02:23 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
The only other time I was drawn was 8 years ago at Richland Chambers WMA

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Lone_Wolf] #7977259 09/17/20 02:35 AM
B
Bullets&Broadheads Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
So your saying it will be a trophy hunt for us?!!

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: NDN98] #7977305 09/17/20 03:09 AM
T
TxDiver Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by NDN98
My cup runneth over this year. Earlier I got Javelina at Chaparral, today I got Gun Deer - Antlerless/Spike at Cooper WMA and General Deer at Balcones Canyonlands NWR.

Congrats. I drew the exact same 3 hunts. Drew Chap Javelina back in August for February 26-28 and just saw I also drew 2 more today, General Deer at Balcones Canyonlands NWR for December 4-6 and Cooper WMA Antlerless/Spike for Nov. 28-30.

Over the past 11 years, I have only drawn 3 hunts total, so was quite surprised that I have drawn 3 in one year.

I know we will be at Cooper at the same time, but what dates did you draw Chap and Balcones?

Congratulations to you as well. I'm at the Chap on 2/12-14 and Balcones 12/4-6.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Lone_Wolf] #7977306 09/17/20 03:09 AM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

The sent out surveys last year and asked the customers what they didn't like about the online draw system and TPWD listened, boo friken hoo Binary, something had to be doen, some of us who have applied for almost 20 years and haven't drawn a buck hunt like it.

Sounds to me it was people like you boo hooing about it and complaining that you didn't win a lottery draw...so get that sh$t out of here. You aren't ENTITLED to sh$t just because you've applied and lost a lottery more than other people little man. So, go cry to your mommy or something. In the mean time, I'll be an advocate for a fair lottery, not one that exponentially favors some over others...

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

Illegal?! mad the can make whatever rules they want as long as its publicized, many state draw systems use a multiplier on preference points.

If you aren't a legal expert on the topic, your opinion is worthless... Hell, I'm an attorney and I don't actually have an answer on whether what they did was legal, which is why I said I will be looking into it. There are absolutely rules that must be followed for lotteries - maybe they operated within those rules, maybe they operated within legal exemptions, maybe they didn't. I'll find out. Either way, I'll be speaking with the attorney general on the topic because the system they implemented this year essentially rigged the lottery to favor specific groups of individuals at insane levels.

In the mean time, feel free to not cry about it and if you did have to cry then feel free to cry to someone else.

Last edited by Binary; 09/17/20 03:22 AM.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: jdk1985] #7977310 09/17/20 03:11 AM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by jdk1985
I got drawn for antlerless / spike at Enchanted Rock in January

Nice, I want to hunt there one of these days. Not sure how good the hunting is but I've seen pics of the area and think it would be enjoyable.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: NDN98] #7977313 09/17/20 03:14 AM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by NDN98

Nice, congrats man!

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7977315 09/17/20 03:15 AM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
And congrats to everyone who had some successful draws today. And for those that didn't, best of luck on the the remaining draw dates and the pending 2nd draws!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide