Page 1 of 2 1 2
Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 #7976008 09/16/20 01:45 PM
H
HogNut Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I have been invited on my first elk hunt which is will be 10/24 - 10/29 near Pagosa Springs. I am doing as much research as I can but it is hard to find any information. Being a Texas whitetail hunter and never been on a spot and stalk hunt, I feel a bit overwhelmed. I have purchased merino wool socks, base layers, Firstlite catalyst pant, Firstlite brooks down sweater and am looking to find some decent gloves to buy in the near future. Will this be enough to keep me warm?

I also have been trying to figure out what elevation the elk will most likely be at, I am certain that the rut as well as temperature and amount of pressure will affect this greatly. Any suggestions from any elk hunters would be much appreciated! Thanks.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” – Henry David Thoreau
Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976018 09/16/20 01:55 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good quality, broken-in boots.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976051 09/16/20 02:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
The elk will be where you find them. I was just in 78 and found elk at 6k and 11k. By second season pray for snow, easier to find tracks

You clothing system is about layers. It’s best to be cold when hiking and not hot. When you are hot you sweat, when you stop you get hyperlamina. Toss an extra base layer or tshirt in your pack. It’s going to take a few times before you realize sweating to much is bad. If you sweat out your shirt immediately change it out when you stop to glass or be stationary for awhile. If you have a synthetic shirt with no elastic, it can/will dry out pretty quickly with a puffy over it while wearing it, but a wool or natural fiber, change it

Late season I carry two types of gloves, one set are light/thin wind blocker, the other are mittens for glassing.

Don’t over layer or go to heavy on clothing. You will be surprised how quick your body adapts to those temperatures.

One must piece is a puffy jacket IMO. It’s extremely light, warm and breathes.

Best advice, Find the elk with your binos, seldom will you jump shoot up an elk.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976067 09/16/20 02:27 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
agree with Bobo, and start walking/hiking now, the altitude will have you winded even in the best condition you can get in. walk/hike in boots that you will be hunting in (or similar) to get your legs accustomed to the extra weight/mass of the boots, be sure whatever boots you hunt in are broken in and fit your foot. To me this is one of the biggest things as you can always layer on clothes to keep warm, but get blisters on your feet and you will be done and/or miserable the rest of your hunt.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976118 09/16/20 02:52 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I've hunted 2nd season rifle near Pagosa for several years and I've seen warm and sunny with temps in the 60's and 70's during the entire season and then I've seen temps hovering in the single digits and it snow for 2 days.

Good baselayers, good waterproof boots, good water proof/ resistant outerlayers ( i went with firstlight catalyst jacket and pants and also the Corrugate guide pants, those things are awesome). It snows/rains and you get wet you are done.

Its not a spot and stalk like you are thinking. As bobo mentioned you do most of your walking with your eyes. You can try and spot them from a distance and sneak up on them, which if they are feeding can be effective.

I personally find a good open meadow/spot i can see several hundred yards in any direction and wait for a elk to cross my path. I have several areas like this in the unit i hunt that afford many different fields of view, and i almost always see animals. I've seen elk anywhere from 6500' all the way to 11,000 during that time and they can be in any elevation....they don't stack up around a certain elevation like crappie would on a christmas tree. They follow the food. I've seen tons of elk in early september in the scrub oaks at 8k when everyone else was chasing them in the timber up at 10,500'

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976155 09/16/20 03:14 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Get in shape is as important as anything else. Doesn't do you any good to spot elk on the far ridge if your body won't let you get there.
Start walking stairs. I go to the high school football stadium. Put on my boots, and a backpack with at least 30 pounds in it and go
up and down. It's harder on your knees coming down than going up.
Don't do a certain number of times, but do an amount of time. i do 20 minutes of up and down. When I first start I can do it about 7
times. six weeks later, I will do 14 times in 20 minutes.
You will thank me if you do this and cuss yourself if you don't.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: Mr. T.] #7976169 09/16/20 03:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Get in shape is as important as anything else. Doesn't do you any good to spot elk on the far ridge if your body won't let you get there.
Start walking stairs. I go to the high school football stadium. Put on my boots, and a backpack with at least 30 pounds in it and go
Don't do a certain number of times, but do an amount of time. i do 20 minutes of up and down. When I first start I can do it about 7

T, how many elk points you have banked? You close to 76 draw? If you are and need help I’m in.

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 09/16/20 03:19 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7976178 09/16/20 03:25 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

T, how many elk points you have banked? You close to 76 draw? If you are and need help I’m in.

None, I just buy over the counter. However, at 71 I'm still working as a teacher, so I only go about once every 5 years.
That's all I can take off. I've got a cabin in Pagosa Springs that I stay in all summer and will hunt out of it when I do go.
A nice warm bed at night makes these old bones feel good enough to get up at 2am to trample across the mountains again.

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: Mr. T.] #7976200 09/16/20 03:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

None, I just buy over the counter. However, at 71 I'm still working as a teacher, so I only go about once every 5 years.
That's all I can take off. I've got a cabin in Pagosa Springs that I stay in all summer and will hunt out of it when I do go.
A nice warm bed at night makes these old bones feel good enough to get up at 2am to trample across the mountains again.

I’m more then happy to go with you if you need company, and extra help. Serious.

I’m in no man’s land with 11pts, I though with corona I might had a chance this year, no such luck

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7976230 09/16/20 03:55 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

I’m more then happy to go with you if you need company, and extra help. Serious.

I’m in no man’s land with 11pts, I though with corona I might had a chance this year, no such luck

Next time I go, you'll be the first I call.......thanks for the offer.

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976283 09/16/20 04:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Absolutely

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976310 09/16/20 04:31 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Are you going this year Bobo? It'll be just dad and I this year in 71.

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: ZK-315] #7976397 09/16/20 05:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ZK-315

I had an archery tag I drew third choice, ended up with arm surgery so I turned it back in, but kept my rifle bear tag.

I was up over Labor Day Hunting bears. Saw a few elk, also saw a few hunter killed bulls. I had hell finding bears, hot and very dry. No water or acorns. I did get on a really good bear but she ended up with this years cubs on her. Overall excellent walk about, I got out right before the foot of snow hit also.

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7976444 09/16/20 05:46 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

I had an archery tag I drew third choice, ended up with arm surgery so I turned it back in, but kept my rifle bear tag.

I was up over Labor Day Hunting bears. Saw a few elk, also saw a few hunter killed bulls. I had hell finding bears, hot and very dry. No water or acorns. I did get on a really good bear but she ended up with this years cubs on her. Overall excellent walk about, I got out right before the foot of snow hit also.

"walk about"? Carry 1lb or 5lb bag of salt? grin

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: Western] #7976466 09/16/20 06:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Western

"walk about"? Carry 1lb or 5lb bag of salt? grin

5lbs I was optimistic. FWI I bought the last 35x12.5x18 tire in durango roflmao

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976472 09/16/20 06:03 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Just a tire? sound like you got out fairly easy then, no fires roflmao

Dennis

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: Western] #7976495 09/16/20 06:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I thought so roflmao

Fun trip, one of the few I been on I actually felt zero pressure on. I damn sure didn't want to come home. Much need time off the pavement. I did really regret not having my elk tag though.

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7976513 09/16/20 06:18 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

I thought so roflmao

Fun trip, one of the few I been on I actually felt zero pressure on. I damn sure didn't want to come home. Much need time off the pavement. I did really regret not having my elk tag though.

I cant recall not having a fun trip to the mountians, of course some stand out better than others. From what I have been told, it has be dry up until a couple weeks back, that can change some habits in the herd.

I have had better luck seeing bear in Sept at lower elevation, even into 1st draw. May be more food choices lower, especially if you throw in human activity (dumps/trash)

Dennis

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976573 09/16/20 06:54 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I’m up here right now in 70. First go at archery hunting. Rut doesn’t seem to be in full swing yet. Minimal bugles and not much responding. I’ll have my own write up once the hunt ends for me on Saturday. So far...I am the “rate limiting step”. Flinging arrows is a whole new level of a challenge.

May need to redeem myself in 2nd rifle it this keeps up bolt

Last edited by Theringworm; 09/16/20 06:54 PM.
Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: Theringworm] #7976590 09/16/20 07:02 PM
H
HogNut Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Thats awesome, let me know how it goes. I would like to get an elk this year but knowing I am a beginner the odds are low.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” – Henry David Thoreau
Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: Theringworm] #7976591 09/16/20 07:03 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Theringworm
I’m up here right now in 70. First go at archery hunting. Rut doesn’t seem to be in full swing yet. Minimal bugles and not much responding. I’ll have my own write up once the hunt ends for me on Saturday. So far...I am the “rate limiting step”. Flinging arrows is a whole new level of a challenge.

Can you get PM's where you're at?

Dennis

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: Theringworm] #7976596 09/16/20 07:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

They are there, night bugle to find them

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: HogNut] #7976601 09/16/20 07:10 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by kyle.fricke
Thats awesome, let me know how it goes. I would like to get an elk this year but knowing I am a beginner the odds are low.

Kyle, don't look at it that way, odds are generally low for public land or, statewide. The difference is being in the right spot and ready when oppurtunity strikes.

As a few fellas said, you will usually do best sitting and glassing/looking, then adjust as needed. Elk can move 30+ miles when they want in 24 hrs, focus on food sources, travel routes and security, that's what they look for when under pressure and not in that order. Many times you can adjust to get on elk you see, sometimes it is best to hit that spot with an adjustment the following day rather than bust them out, never met a hunter that could chase down elk. Let the hunters that feel the need to "walk" move them around you.

I have watched many times elk move, wait for hunters to pass thru and then elk move again.
just my 2 pennies worth.

Dennis

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7976602 09/16/20 07:12 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Can you get PM's where you're at?

Yes sir

They are there, night bugle to find them

You are correct. That’s when they are active. The last two days have been the best. I should be quartering a bull as we speak but.......but.....I screwed up
bang

Re: Colorado Second Season Elk Hunt: Units 77 78 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7976604 09/16/20 07:13 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
BOBO has a good point, many times I have been out there and 90% of the bugling I hear is after sundown, or just before daylight, but usually late evening.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide