Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7976154 09/16/20 03:13 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Never in my wildest dreams did I believe posting this would fall into a "discussion" were normally reasonable people utilize an illogical argument to further bolster a completely ridiculous opinion. Earth to Phil, there was nothing alleged about the chasing with the knife. Even a child can see with his own eyes.

Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7976167 09/16/20 03:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Never in my wildest dreams did I believe posting this would fall into a "discussion" were normally reasonable people utilize an illogical argument to further bolster a completely ridiculous opinion. Earth to Phil, there was nothing alleged about the chasing with the knife. Even a child can see with his own eyes.

He wasn’t chasing, he was going on a leisurely exercise run, and found a knife and he was simply removing it from the reach of childern......

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Editor Fail [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7976193 09/16/20 03:38 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

He wasn’t chasing, he was going on a leisurely exercise run, and found a knife and he was simply removing it from the reach of childern......

Oh thats fake news and you know it BOBO. He is a hero who took the knife away from a Gang Banger Criminal robbing a little old lady and was trying to gently hand it over to the Officer so it would never possibly be used to harm an innocent citizen laugh

Last edited by Stub; 09/16/20 03:40 PM.

texas flag

Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7976197 09/16/20 03:41 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

It turned out the way it should have.
He won't chase anybody else.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Editor Fail [Re: reeltexan] #7976220 09/16/20 03:53 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by reeltexan

Yeppers. Brought a knife to a gun fight and found out why that's never a good idea. Regardless of what he learned in Petiki YouTube videos.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7976254 09/16/20 04:04 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Innocent until proven guilty, we still do that, right?

...you are indoctrinated and live your life letting your emotions lead the way.....

Pitchfork, so are you. You are just indoctrinated into a different system and have different emotions. We all are to a considerable degree, whether we like it or not.

And it looks like it was a justified shoot. my 2 cents

Last edited by jdk1985; 09/16/20 04:05 PM.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7976261 09/16/20 04:08 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Lawsuits can be expensive.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Editor Fail [Re: dkershen] #7976263 09/16/20 04:09 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by dkershen
Originally Posted by reeltexan

Yeppers. Brought a knife to a gun fight and found out why that's never a good idea. Regardless of what he learned in Petiki YouTube videos.

rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7976276 09/16/20 04:17 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Sad.

Whats the solution, a tranquilizer gun? Some type of net-like air launched restraint fired from an M203?

Re: Editor Fail [Re: jdk1985] #7976278 09/16/20 04:18 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by jdk1985

...you are indoctrinated and live your life letting your emotions lead the way.....

Pitchfork, so are you. You are just indoctrinated into a different system and have different emotions. We all are to a considerable degree, whether we like it or not.

I agree with your point.......perhaps I should of been more clear......indoctrinated into a system that's emotion driven.....and I was indoctrinated into a system that's logic driven.......thank God for when I was born.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Stub] #7976282 09/16/20 04:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Oh thats fake news and you know it BOBO. He is a hero who took the knife away from a Gang Banger Criminal robbing a little old lady and was trying to gently hand it over to the Officer so it would never possibly be used to harm an innocent citizen laugh

roflmao

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7976458 09/16/20 05:54 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jdk1985

I agree with your point.......perhaps I should of been more clear......indoctrinated into a system that's emotion driven.....and I was indoctrinated into a system that's logic driven.......thank God for when I was born.....

No offense, but you’ve been the most emotional person on this forum the last two days I’ve ever seen.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7976475 09/16/20 06:04 PM
H
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
But, no offense

Re: Editor Fail [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7976482 09/16/20 06:07 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
But, no offense

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

You are a great example of the problems in this country.......I guess if it were you in the role of that police officer you would of let him stab you first just to make sure he is guilty of attempting to murder...... do you think or contemplate before you post? IMO the answer is no.......you are indoctrinated and live your life letting your emotions lead the way.....

If he had stabbed the officer, they still would’ve used allegedly. Or “accused of...” or something similar. It doesn’t mean the paper is giving an out to the guy with the knife.

My goodness. Some of y’all need to take a deep breath.

No offense but I don’t need you to spell it out for me.......the deep breath suggestion is a good one though.....

[Linked Image]
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7976497 09/16/20 06:12 PM
H
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
tit for tat - got it

Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7976503 09/16/20 06:14 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
dead_horse

[Linked Image]
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7976532 09/16/20 06:24 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Allegedly is a term that has been used in court for many years. The media started using it more and more over the last 10-15 years. Used fairly and accurately, the statement should have been that the suspect allegedly attacked the officer with a knife and the officer allegedly shot him and killed him. That is not what was written though, it was written that the officer shooting him was a fact and that allegedly the suspect attacked the officer with a knife. That is a biased statement, there's no way to know if it's implicitly biased, but biased nonetheless.

Re: Editor Fail [Re: ntxtrapper] #7976559 09/16/20 06:44 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I love all you guys and love this forum. Where else can a guy go to waste his day trying to convince others to think like him, or you don’t have to if you don’t want to. No sarcasm, plenty of opportunities on here and they can be taken or left alone. All is good, so carry on....

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Editor Fail [Re: ntxtrapper] #7977097 09/17/20 01:08 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Allegedly is a term that has been used in court for many years. The media started using it more and more over the last 10-15 years. Used fairly and accurately, the statement should have been that the suspect allegedly attacked the officer with a knife and the officer allegedly shot him and killed him. That is not what was written though, it was written that the officer shooting him was a fact and that allegedly the suspect attacked the officer with a knife. That is a biased statement, there's no way to know if it's implicitly biased, but biased nonetheless.

Wrong. The police chief acknowledged that one of his officers shot the guy. A government official saying another government employee did something negates the need for using “alleged.” The government accusing a citizen of something requires the use of alleged. As explained in this thread, media outlets use ‘allegedly’ because it absolves them of civil liabilities.

https://www.wgal.com/article/lancas...y-force-against-man-with-knife/34032852#

Here is what my AP Stylebook says about the use of ‘alleged.’

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The last picture is to show when my copy was printed, which was 2002 (more than 15 years ago, by the way), but the guidelines for ‘alleged’ have been the same for decades. This is my second copy, after I foolishly traded my first copy in after my freshman year of college. There is not a conspiracy around the use of the word in news stories. The AP Stylebook is used by 99% of newspapers and is basically the Bible of news writing and standardizes news reports.

This is not some lame stream media conspiracy. It’s quite simple and easily explainable. Sometimes, it’s silly to use the word alleged, especially when it’s extremely clear from the video, but it’s standard practice and not saying the guy didn’t attack an officer with a knife.

I am no longer in the profession (been out for 13 years but still keep up with current events and how the media covers things, more importantly). I loath what it’s become and Trump’s lasting legacy, no matter what happens, will be that he exposed the media for how biased and truly awful it’s become. He’s done a lot of good, but the best thing is exposing the media.

I’m a Trump voter and conservative, but this is not a conspiracy. It’s stupid and not worth anyone’s time because it’s easily explainable.

Last edited by Duck_Hunter; 09/17/20 01:09 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7977129 09/17/20 01:21 AM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
OK you bunch of screwballs get back on the Thorazine laugh

I’ve searched and read various news reports on the incident. Nowhere have I found the use of allegedly.

To be determined
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7977241 09/17/20 02:25 AM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I'm allegedly offended that we are arguing or opinionating on 'allegedly'

Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7977476 09/17/20 11:44 AM
H
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"This is not some lame stream media conspiracy. It’s quite simple and easily explainable. Sometimes, it’s silly to use the word alleged, especially when it’s extremely clear from the video, but it’s standard practice and not saying the guy didn’t attack an officer with a knife."

Read this and think about it. It's the media's "duty" to report the news not as it is? The square heads around here have a phrase for that - bull schizza.

Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7977686 09/17/20 02:12 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
"This is not some lame stream media conspiracy. It’s quite simple and easily explainable. Sometimes, it’s silly to use the word alleged, especially when it’s extremely clear from the video, but it’s standard practice and not saying the guy didn’t attack an officer with a knife."

Read this and think about it. It's the media's "duty" to report the news not as it is? The square heads around here have a phrase for that - bull schizza.

“Read this and think about it.”

I wrote it, so obviously I have. I took many, many journalism courses in college. I wrote for a newspaper for three years. I still follow the media from the perspective of where their bias lies, whether they follow standard practices, whether they mislead the public, etc. That interests me more than most of the actual news, honestly, and it’s the best thing Trump has done - exposing the media for being frauds.

You can continue to be pissed about something that’s been explained multiple times and is standard practice going back decades. I don’t care. The word “alleged” literally changes nothing. The guy clearly leapt at the officer with a knife. The use of the word alleged is to avoid civil suits, it’s standard practice. It isn’t biased and doesn’t change anything. There are real issues with the news media in this country (and they’re getting worse, not better) but this is nit picky and getting worked up for a silly reason.

[Linked Image]
Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7977869 09/17/20 03:50 PM
H
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Not pissed about anything, just so glad I live my life where people expect the truth and hear it from me without being bridled by some "standard practice" which prevents me from telling it like it. After all, the truth is always what it is. I am guessing the riots and civil destruction are also just alleged. Great way to have to live one's life. Once again, so glad it is not me.

Re: Editor Fail [Re: Hudbone] #7978010 09/17/20 05:15 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Where did the OP find this article or quote?

None of the news reports I’ve found use allegedly.

But I understand the use in journalism.

This could be one of those snippets that gets circulated around the internet but is actually false. Then people fall for it.

To be determined
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide