Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,872
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: I was harassed at gun point by city police while legally hunting dove on my own property!!! [Re: ntxtrapper] #7972899 09/14/20 02:59 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
[

These threads do smoke out the cop haters at least. popcorn

And the people who think it is OK to wipe their butt on the Constitution
bolt

Re: I was harassed at gun point by city police while legally hunting dove on my own property!!! [Re: RJH1] #7972919 09/14/20 03:24 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by RJH1
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
[

These threads do smoke out the cop haters at least. popcorn

And the people who think it is OK to wipe their butt on the Constitution
bolt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-fields_doctrine

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CR/htm/CR.14.htm

confused2

Re: I was harassed at gun point by city police while legally hunting dove on my own property!!! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #7972928 09/14/20 03:33 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
The OP hasn't said much in a while. Guess he got his butthurt cream and left. confused2

Re: I was harassed at gun point by city police while legally hunting dove on my own property!!! [Re: unclebubba] #7972935 09/14/20 03:45 AM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba
The OP hasn't said much in a while. Guess he got his butthurt cream and left. confused2

He went back to his bridge
troll

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: I was harassed at gun point by city police while legally hunting dove on my own property!!! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #7972943 09/14/20 04:03 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Can a police officer arrest or disarm a person who is legally carrying a long gun (e.g., a
rifle or shotgun) in public?

Not without a reasonable suspicion of other illegal conduct. Because the Texas Constitution
allows it, and because the legislature has not prohibited it, carry of a long gun is legal.
Of course, state law does provide restrictions to ensure public safety. Penal Code Section 42.01
governs disorderly conduct. It provides that a person commits a Class B misdemeanor offense if
he or she intentionally or knowingly “displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place
in a manner calculated to alarm.” TEX. PENAL CODE § 42.01(8); see also TEX. LOCAL GOV’T
CODE § 229.001(7)(d).
If a peace officer encounters a person with a long gun, it is within his or her authority to inquire
about the weapon. However, if the person is not holding the weapon at ready, pointing the
weapon, brandishing it in a threatening manner, or otherwise using it in a manner calculated to
cause alarm, the officer—without more—has limited authority to disarm the person. Those
decisions should be based on an officer’s training as applied to all of the facts in each instance

While this is specifically about long guns in public areas, I would assume (dangerous I know), that it would hold true on private property as well. So, if we take the OP at his word, reasonable suspicion seems a stretch. I haven't been able to find anything specific on private property yet unfortunately. Notice that carrying a long gun is legal because the Texas Constitution allows it....

So while the links about open fields and chapter 14 show some about why the city police can show up on the property and ask questions, minor observations would prove what the OP was doing, i.e. dove hunting which is legal. Just because someone calls the police and says they heard gunshots, doesn't make the guy doing the shooting a criminal. I am genuinely surprised at how many people think it is perfectly fine for LEO to disarm a law abiding citizen

All this of course assumes that he OP is being truthful. APD does wear body cams, so finding out should be doable, if the OP really wants to look into it. I would really like to know all the facts

Re: I was harassed at gun point by city police while legally hunting dove on my own property!!! [Re: RJH1] #7972948 09/14/20 04:06 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Can a police officer arrest or disarm a person who is legally carrying a long gun (e.g., a

Not without a reasonable suspicion of other illegal conduct. Because the Texas Constitution
allows it, and because the legislature has not prohibited it, carry of a long gun is legal.
Of course, state law does provide restrictions to ensure public safety. Penal Code Section 42.01
governs disorderly conduct. It provides that a person commits a Class B misdemeanor offense if
he or she intentionally or knowingly “displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place
in a manner calculated to alarm.” TEX. PENAL CODE § 42.01(8); see also TEX. LOCAL GOV’T
CODE § 229.001(7)(d).
If a peace officer encounters a person with a long gun, it is within his or her authority to inquire
about the weapon. However, if the person is not holding the weapon at ready, pointing the
weapon, brandishing it in a threatening manner, or otherwise using it in a manner calculated to
cause alarm, the officer—without more—has limited authority to disarm the person. Those
decisions should be based on an officer’s training as applied to all of the facts in each instance

While this is specifically about long guns in public areas, I would assume (dangerous I know), that it would hold true on private property as well. So, if we take the OP at his word, reasonable suspicion seems a stretch. I haven't been able to find anything specific on private property yet unfortunately. Notice that carrying a long gun is legal because the Texas Constitution allows it....

So while the links about open fields and chapter 14 show some about why the city police can show up on the property and ask questions, minor observations would prove what the OP was doing, i.e. dove hunting which is legal. Just because someone calls the police and says they heard gunshots, doesn't make the guy doing the shooting a criminal. I am genuinely surprised at how many people think it is perfectly fine for LEO to disarm a law abiding citizen

All this of course assumes that he OP is being truthful. APD does wear body cams, so finding out should be doable, if the OP really wants to look into it. I would really like to know all the facts

Seems woke and knows his rights. Officer tells me to drop a weapon I will set it down and we will have a conversation but you do you... Good grief

[Linked Image]
Re: I was harassed at gun point by city police while legally hunting dove on my own property!!! [Re: Bee'z] #7972960 09/14/20 04:33 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by 2Beez

CODE § 229.001(7)(d).

Seems woke and knows his rights. Officer tells me to drop a weapon I will set it down and we will have a conversation but you do you... Good grief

rofl

Re: I was harassed at gun point by city police while legally hunting dove on my own property!!! [Re: Jungleexplorer] #7972962 09/14/20 04:36 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The OP made the mistake of being out in his open field with a gun!
If he had been protesting and carrying the firearm it would have been perfectly acceptable.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide