Forums46
Topics537,979
Posts9,731,389
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970009 09/11/20 05:49 PM
M
mikereiling5 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I was in 7th grade, my mom was crying on the couch. Then the second one hit....

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: Marc K] #7970010 09/11/20 05:50 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Marc K
Checking out of my hotel room in Manchester, NH ready for a meeting. The meeting was canceled and I already had my rental car, so I ate breakfast and started the 3,200-mile drive home to Morro Bay, CA.

Damn. Long expensive drive.

I had a number of business buddies get stranded and had to do same thing to get home.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970032 09/11/20 06:08 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Headed south on the Tollway to office at LBJ & Tollway listening to the radio. When the story started I thought WTF. Made it to the office when second plane hit I knew something bad was going on.
I'll never forget that day.
flag

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970034 09/11/20 06:10 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I was in a sales meeting at our office in Uptown Dallas. All of us had Blackberries at the time, and they all started vibrating at once with a group message from our Office Manager telling us we needed to take a break and come watch the news. As we walked out, one of our client managers told us that planes had hit the buildings and one of the buildings had collapsed. I called BS and he emphatically told me to go look at the television - I was stunned.

Our building was located between Love Field and the Fed Res Bank, so not know what lay in store, the building was closed and all went home. My wife worked at a hospital and they were kept at work until late that night, so I entertained my son the rest of the day while watching the news. I remember thinking that the world had changed for all of us - unfortunately, I think too many have forgotten...

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970038 09/11/20 06:11 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Working in the back room at Whitlock Instruments in Odessa. The secretary came back to tell us what she heard on the radio so we all stopped what we were doing. The owner (who was arguably one of the most intelligent men I've ever known) was a pilot and immediately started looking into weather conditions in NYC etc. As soon as he found out it was commercial aircraft he immediately looked at where they came from and where they were headed, then started discussing why they were chosen, cross country flights, more fuel etc. It was weird watching his conscious thought stream out loud, but interesting at the same time. He word vomited information that took the experts days, weeks, and months to put together.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970050 09/11/20 06:19 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I was at home, watched unfold on TV.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: 007hunter] #7970070 09/11/20 06:36 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Originally Posted by 007hunter
It is sad to see how far we are from that unity now. Our country is fragmented, imploding on itself, and frankly on the verge of collapse. I pray for that 9/12 unity again…NOT through the same or similar events, but through love and the mighty hand of GOD. That is all. GOD BLESS THE USA 🙏🙏

Don't buy the nonsense that the media sells. Those Americans that stood tall for each other then are still the same today.
And God does bless the USA, he's blessing us with great leadership in a time when it's truly needed. This is part of His plan.
He didn't leave the people of Israel in the desert. They suffered for forty years. We've had a tough ONE.

"I will never leave you or forsake you."

Stand up for America, she deserves it.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970115 09/11/20 07:24 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
working cows that morning. Didn't get to the truck and turn on the radio until mid afternoon. I was so confused with it all over the radio. Didnt really understand and sink in until that evening when i got home and turned the tv on.. I felt so many emotions at once... sadness, confusion, anger... Will certainly never forget.

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970133 09/11/20 07:49 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I was driving to my mom's house when the first plane hit. When I got there I turned the TV to the news thinking a Cessna pilot had an accident and was shocked at what I saw. We were watching when the second plane hit the other Trade Center. My mom looked at me and said we are at war now. Mom was 12 when Pearl Harbor was bombed and said seeing this live was worse than listening to the radio broadcast about Pearl. We both cried as people jumped to their death and as the buildings fell. I can't believe we are electing them to Congress now.

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970140 09/11/20 07:54 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
remember it like yesterday. Didn't know what was going on and got called across the street, watched the 2nd plane strike and put me into shock.

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: Old Rabbit] #7970192 09/11/20 08:33 PM
F
fredeboy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
I was driving to my mom's house when the first plane hit. When I got there I turned the TV to the news thinking a Cessna pilot had an accident and was shocked at what I saw. We were watching when the second plane hit the other Trade Center. My mom looked at me and said we are at war now. Mom was 12 when Pearl Harbor was bombed and said seeing this live was worse than listening to the radio broadcast about Pearl. We both cried as people jumped to their death and as the buildings fell. I can't believe we are electing them to Congress now.

Yes Old Rabbit it is unbelievable we are electing them to Congress!!

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970207 09/11/20 08:44 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I was getting ready for an interview with an insurance company to sell sleazy policies when a friend called and said to turn on the TV that we were under attack and saw the 2nd plane hit. When I regained my composure I called the insurance company to see if they were still holding the interview and they said yes. Turned out to be a "boiler room" type of company so it was a quick and hard no for me. I was working for an ad agency in downtown Dallas at the time, on Elm St. across from Dealey Plaza. Went to work there and everyone was glued to the TV then the order came to evacuate downtown. Me and my roommates were glued to the TV for the rest of the day. Aside from losing my dad, that's probably the most empty, helpless feeling I've ever felt. Will never forget that day.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970266 09/11/20 09:43 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
At home getting ready for work. Got out of the shower and heard that the first plane had hit. Rushed in to work (TXDOT Transvision) and we put the news on both the big screens. Some folks left to get their kids out of school. I didn't...figured my daughter was safer being in school. The events of that day created TSA and I joined the next August.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970267 09/11/20 09:45 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I was watching the news just before leaving a motel in High Island on my way to an Alligator hunt. Watched the first tower fall just before I went out the door. I took an old walkman with me to follow what came next. I was listening on the walkman while sitting in a cafe in Winnie when the 2nd tower fell. There was all kinds of other conspiracy speculation stuff on the radio already like the third plane being shot down and hijackers thwarted in Houston. There was no TV in the cafe so the mostly retiree type crowd eating breakfast had no idea what was going on. I stood up and out loud announced to everyone "do y'all know our country is under an attack right now. The twin towers in New York have fallen. We are at war". No one said a word and they just stared at me with blank stares for several seconds, then went back to eating and back into their conversations. I was a firefighter and very familiar with NYFD and how they operate. I told my father at the table, "you know probably 350 firefighters just died. I was later surprised at how close I was. I listened to rest of the morning unfold throughout my Alligator hunt and kept my dad and nephew filled in as new information came up. Like most firefighters that day I kept saying I wished I was there. Lost a lot of brothers that day. The rest of the year at the firehouse, the closeness between us and how the public treated us was surreal. I imagine it was similar to what those in the military experienced after pearl harbor.

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970290 09/11/20 10:06 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Myself and 3 others were fishing 60mi offshore out of PA in a 35ft Contender......I always took compass readings on way out cause scared my electronics would go down. They had shut down many satellites so electronics were worthless. We heard about attack on marine radio and ran all the way back in on a compass

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: 007hunter] #7970328 09/11/20 10:34 PM
T
tigger Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. I was teaching at Pearl River Community College in Mississippi. Total disbelief, when a fellow teacher said…”Did you hear about a plane hitting a building in New York? They just said something about it on the radio”. No, hadn’t heard anything. We turned on a TV in one of the teaching labs and shortly we saw the second tower get hit…we stood in disbelief. Our minds could not comprehend what we were seeing. We stood in silence with other co-workers and students as our world changed in front of our eyes. Yes, I did tear up, as did everyone else. I know we all were praying in the midst of our confusion. Then we heard about the Pentagon and Flight 93. Time stood still and the crowd in the lab grew. There was no teaching that day…but there was plenty of learning.

That horrible day will always be ingrained in my mind, along with the day that I got the call that my dad had passed away and the day of the Challenger accident. I do remember the great days also...the day each of my children was born and the day I got married to my beautiful wife. I pray for more of the great days, and no more of those horrible days.

Another thing that I also remember about 9/11 is what happened beginning on 9/12. Our nation became one, patriotism was through the roof. Blood banks had lines around the block with people wanting to donate. Charity and giving to those effected was incredible. Military recruiters were turning people away because they could not take any additional applications. Men and women wanted to defend the country they loved, that had been dealt a devastating blow. Firefighters, policemen, military members, paramedics, all forms of first responders became instantly revered as heroes…as they should be. We all worked together…that was a beautiful thing.

It is sad to see how far we are from that unity now. Our country is fragmented, imploding on itself, and frankly on the verge of collapse. I pray for that 9/12 unity again…NOT through the same or similar events, but through love and the mighty hand of GOD. That is all. GOD BLESS THE USA 🙏🙏

I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. I was teaching at Pearl River Community College in Mississippi. Total disbelief, when a fellow teacher said…”Did you hear about a plane hitting a building in New York? They just said something about it on the radio”. No, hadn’t heard anything. We turned on a TV in one of the teaching labs and shortly we saw the second tower get hit…we stood in disbelief. Our minds could not comprehend what we were seeing. We stood in silence with other co-workers and students as our world changed in front of our eyes. Yes, I did tear up, as did everyone else. I know we all were praying in the midst of our confusion. Then we heard about the Pentagon and Flight 93. Time stood still and the crowd in the lab grew. There was no teaching that day…but there was plenty of learning.

That horrible day will always be ingrained in my mind, along with the day that I got the call that my dad had passed away and the day of the Challenger accident. I do remember the great days also...the day each of my children was born and the day I got married to my beautiful wife. I pray for more of the great days, and no more of those horrible days.

Another thing that I also remember about 9/11 is what happened beginning on 9/12. Our nation became one, patriotism was through the roof. Blood banks had lines around the block with people wanting to donate. Charity and giving to those effected was incredible. Military recruiters were turning people away because they could not take any additional applications. Men and women wanted to defend the country they loved, that had been dealt a devastating blow. Firefighters, policemen, military members, paramedics, all forms of first responders became instantly revered as heroes…as they should be. We all worked together…that was a beautiful thing.

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970331 09/11/20 10:37 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Sitting at my desk working on computer. I don't remember exactly what I was doing. What I remember is one of the ladies in the office told me a plane had just crashed in to the towers. At that time I was thinking a small private plane and a an accident.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970335 09/11/20 10:38 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Working construction near DFW Airport. It was very ominous when the planes stopped flying. Very unsettling.

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970353 09/11/20 10:59 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Spanish class, jr year. School was let out so went to a friends house and talked at length about joining the military. Went to see USMC recruiter next day, ended up in the Army. My heart breaks for all of those affected and my gratitude goes out to the heroes of flight 93 and all the brave men and women who selflessly acted to save others. God bless the USA.

Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: Stump_jumper] #7970390 09/11/20 11:38 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Sitting at my desk working on computer. I don't remember exactly what I was doing. What I remember is one of the ladies in the office told me a plane had just crashed in to the towers. At that time I was thinking a small private plane and a an accident.

I was also at my desk at work when a co-worker came and told me that a plane had hit one of the towers. I too thought it was probably a small private plane accident.

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970391 09/11/20 11:38 PM
T
tigger Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Thanks to all
It is very important to remember

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970466 09/12/20 12:46 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
I was on a dove hunt with the Texas Outdoor Writers Association in Hamilton, TX. A guy named Bill Mills and I were the last two left finishing our breakfast at the local cafe. There was a TV with the news running footage of the first tower smoking and at the time we all assumed it was an accident, so we left to drive home. I was on the road about 5 minutes when the second plane hit. All hell broke loose on the radio. Half the radio announcers thought we were in the middle of a nationwide invasion. The drive home was the weirdest 2 hours of my life. As I drove in to the DFW area, I was looking out my window to the sky, wondering if I should turn around and stay out of the city.

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970493 09/12/20 01:01 AM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I was at a business conference in the Bahamas and the wife was with me. We had just started the morning session when someone announced that everyone should go to our room and watch the news. We never completed the conference. We spent the next few days trying to find a way home. Our 3 teenage daughters were there by themselves. Finally the US Ambassador made arrangements for a cruise ship to take us to Florida, Rented a car and drove through hours of rain and wind. You might recall there was a hurricane coming in. I will never forget 9-11

Last edited by Michael W.; 09/12/20 01:56 AM.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970533 09/12/20 01:27 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I had just promoted at TDCJ and was assigned to the George Beto Unit in Tennessee Colony. I had just made it to my office when the first plane hit. That day at lunch I had to do some banking stuff at Regions Bank in Palestine. I walked into the lobby and they had one of those old school (Even for 2001) projection type big screen TVs with the news on. When I got back to the unit I noticed there were no inmates walking the hallways. All 170,000 TDCJ inmates at 112 prisons were locked down and being counted.

Never Forget.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: 9/11/2001 where were/what were you doing [Re: tigger] #7970644 09/12/20 03:44 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
My wife was out of town, so I had just finished getting my daughter off to school and turned the news on, I watched the second plane go in.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide