Forums46
Topics537,022
Posts9,719,496
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: chrswr] #7969421 09/11/20 05:17 AM
T
Top Jimmy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
The comment about them coming out of a dead cow got me to thinking, does what they have been eating go a lot to how they might taste? I know here, you get a black bear that has been in the berries and they are some of the best eating, but get one that has been in the salmon stream later in the year, and you can't even begin to try to eat it. Totally different taste. So if you had hogs feeding from a feeder on corn or on acorns, would that be different then some that are scavenging on whatever they can find?

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: Top Jimmy] #7969427 09/11/20 05:53 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
The comment about them coming out of a dead cow got me to thinking, does what they have been eating go a lot to how they might taste? I know here, you get a black bear that has been in the berries and they are some of the best eating, but get one that has been in the salmon stream later in the year, and you can't even begin to try to eat it. Totally different taste. So if you had hogs feeding from a feeder on corn or on acorns, would that be different then some that are scavenging on whatever they can find?

-TJ

Absolutely. The biggest factor when it comes to taste, is their diet. Period.

Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: skinnerback] #7969616 09/11/20 01:23 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by skinnerback

-TJ

God has created a creature that can eat anything and make it taste good. A pig's diet really doesn't have anything to do with it's taste, like other animals.

A Healthy Pig Is a Tasty Pig

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/pig-whiskey

Last edited by hook_n_line; 09/11/20 01:24 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: chrswr] #7969667 09/11/20 01:54 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Yes! - low and slow they're quite tasty - whole family gobble's 'em down even ones that don't like 'game'.

Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: hook_n_line] #7969811 09/11/20 03:16 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

-TJ

God has created a creature that can eat anything and make it taste good. A pig's diet really doesn't have anything to do with it's taste, like other animals.

I have to disagree. There's not a mammal on the planet that their taste isn't affected by their diet.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: LFD2037] #7969830 09/11/20 03:27 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by LFD2037

-TJ

I have to disagree. There's not a mammal on the planet that their taste isn't affected by their diet.

I agree to disagree. I've never met a pig I didn't like. grill

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: hook_n_line] #7969996 09/11/20 05:41 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

-TJ

-TJ

Oh I can definitely taste the difference between the pigs I kill in the brush country vs the ones from the corn crop country. They’re all still good, but I can taste the difference in the fat. Same goes for the ones we trap and feed out on sweet feed before butchering. I agree a healthy pig is a tasty pig, as long as they’re healthy they’re all good to me though.
up

Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: chrswr] #7970229 09/11/20 09:00 PM
V
VMike Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
V
Will eat the smaller ones that are killed in the cooler months.

I have a deer problem on my hog lease!!!
Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: chrswr] #7971613 09/13/20 03:46 AM
B
bjankowski Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I take off the loin and hams get them iced down quickly, bleed them out in a cooler with ice changing every day for a week. I like to inject the hams with pineapple juice rub them down with my rub. I put them in the fridge wrapped up tight for two days. Put them in the smoker for 6 to 12 hours depending on how big they are I like to pull them at about 190 degrees. Best pork, it's free ranging and organic, better than that crap you buy in stores. The loins are cut into chops either grilled or breaded and fried. I'd rather harvest a pig (under 100 pounds) than a big buck, those antlers normally end up as knife handles of which I have boxes full.

Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: chrswr] #7974979 09/15/20 06:33 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Absolutely yes. We have always have a freezer full of wild pig. It's unfortunate to me that people still go hungry when we have unlimited grass-fed pork running around tearing up our fields. Yes, every once in a blue moon we get a gamey pig (just like any wild game), but the vast majority of them are great. I think the pregnant ones taste better. Slow cook or smoke the hams, slow-cook the shoulders, grill the backstraps and tenders. Make sure it's cooked through and you don't need to worry about trichinosis.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: LFD2037] #7975110 09/15/20 07:58 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

-TJ

I can say I have hunted killed and eaten many hogs that were feeding on chicken guts, feathers, feet, and blood for months on end. They were great eating hogs with no bad taste or smell what so ever.

Also eaten a few that daily ate from chicken manure piles next to chicken houses... thats right, they ate chicken [censored], with no bad taste or smell.

Last edited by redchevy; 09/15/20 08:00 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: chrswr] #8017019 10/20/20 06:01 PM
J
Jet1902 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
I never eat them, their smell is real bad and they're dirty nasty up close and they have bugs and everything. I have no interest in cleaning them, eating them, and everything in between.

Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: chrswr] #8017039 10/20/20 06:19 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Ours end up in a creek, I’ve tried giving them away for many years and I always get the same question, have you cleaned it yet and when I say no their response is no thanks. I stopped asking, I rigged up a towing rope that I can drag 4 at a time straight to the creek.

Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8019675 10/22/20 07:46 PM
T
Tw0fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Ours end up in a creek, I’ve tried giving them away for many years and I always get the same question, have you cleaned it yet and when I say no their response is no thanks. I stopped asking, I rigged up a towing rope that I can drag 4 at a time straight to the creek.

I bet you’ve got BIG crawfish in the creek! Well fed at least!

Dang, lots of folks can’t give ‘em away.. am I the only one looking to send one to the freezer? Put me down as “Haven’t yet but sure wanna try”!

Jordan

"It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them." -- G. K. Chesterton
Re: Feral pigs - Do you eat them or not. [Re: chrswr] #8019701 10/22/20 08:06 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I will take edible quarters and backstraps during colder weather and I don't mess with gutting them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide