Print Thread
Be careful out there #7969557 09/11/20 12:31 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Lots will be getting ready for the season and encountering unseen issues. Some friends of mine down by Carrizo found themselves moving some bow blinds around this past weekend. The first three went off without a hitch. Leaning up the fourth one and a little issue popped up. Thousands of little issues. Bees came pouring out and everyone started running. One got overcome and fell to the ground. TG a young'un turned around and spotted his issue. The more mature tall drink of water kept trying to stand up, but fell twice. His head was covered in bees and he kept swiping at his eyes.

The youngtster came to his aid, helped lift the giant of a man in the back of a nearby truck that was running and drove off. May just have saved his life. A 15 year old or so Benadryl was found and that helped stave of the effects of the more than 200 bee stings the sucker got to enjoy. They picked stingers out of him for quite some time. TG (again) that he was not allergic to them, Obviously an Africanized group.

Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7969585 09/11/20 12:57 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Wow...lucky he wasn't alone....

Hope there are no long-term affects....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7969648 09/11/20 01:45 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
OUCH!

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Be careful out there [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7969653 09/11/20 01:47 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Wow...lucky he wasn't alone....

Hope there are no long-term affects....

X2
As you know, my wife hunts with me and she is allergic to bee stings. I always go first to check the stands with a can
of hornets spray. I have found a could of large nests under the stands, and once inside the stand.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7969678 09/11/20 02:03 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I hate the bees /wasp. Good reminder

Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7969792 09/11/20 03:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
That could have had a much different outcome..glad it worked out for them. I had a similar incidence here at home 3 yrs ago mowing the yard with bees...about 15 or so of them got me around the head, arms and back of my neck.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7969924 09/11/20 04:31 PM
F
fishbait Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
I usually give a good look at my blinds but I didn't this year...just forgot I guess. When I shred the pasture I put on a bee suit ...every time. Glad this post came up as a good reminder. Thanks

Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7969952 09/11/20 05:00 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Wow!! That could have ended horribly had he been allergic. I have helped kill a lot of bees and wasps in box blinds. We usually waited until after dark and hit them with 4-5 cans of wasp spray. Gotta be careful.

Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7969957 09/11/20 05:06 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Scary - one of my big fears while tractoring as well. I got hit by a wasp or hornet (not sure which) this past week. I've never been allergic, but my arm was swollen for a couple of days and still itches. This happened just after I had gone in and placed spray/bombs in my stands, so I think one got on me coming out of the blind.

Glad the man mentioned above was not alone. Could have been much worse.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7969966 09/11/20 05:15 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I always kept the Shell or Hot Shot No-Pest strips in my blinds year round in South Texas and the Hill Country starting about 1992. It will not keep wasps or bees out totally but it will kill them if they try to stay in the blinds overnight. I had honey bees inside a hunting camphouse one time when I got there in June. I opened up 3 No Pest strips and tossed them inside after I barely opened the door. I came back 3 hrs later and there was dead bees everywhere and what lived had left. The camphouse was closed and hot inside and the chemical in the Pest Strips spread quickly in that hot air trapped inside. Same thing happens in a tightly closed deer blind.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7970029 09/11/20 06:06 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
The scary thing is how fast it all happened and caught everyone off guard. Another fella, the rescuer, got popped in excess of thirty times. he's real lucky it wasn't more. The good thing is the guy that got stung in excess of 200 times was real ugly before the incident.

Love those pest strips.

Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7970033 09/11/20 06:09 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Hudbone
The scary thing is how fast it all happened and caught everyone off guard. Another fella, the rescuer, got popped in excess of thirty times. he's real lucky it wasn't more. The good thing is the guy that got stung in excess of 200 times was real ugly before the incident.

Love those pest strips.

Hot shot pest strips for the win. Eliminated anything alive in a blind.

Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7970047 09/11/20 06:18 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Very good reminder and glad it didn't end worse. Thank you for posting. My folks bought an abandoned homestead in 1968. It had lots of animal outbuildings. I learned real quick to look up, down, and around before you go barrelling in any enclosed space.

Bees were bad on the last lease I was on north of Sanderson. They'll take over any neglected structure.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7970342 09/11/20 10:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I had an experience recently in East Texas and still don't know exactly the source. I had just gotten out of my truck where I parked it at my lease at the edge of a pasture. I heard what sounded like a large swarm of bees flying by overheard. I tried but could not see them, perhaps because I couldn't determine at what distance to focus, kind of like when trying to see high-flying geese. For a second I thought it might be a swarm of killer bees and even wondered if I should jump back into my truck. The sound continued on in what appeared to be a straight line. I've heard that all the worker bees in a beehive will follow their queen to a new location but not sure that's true or not.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7970359 09/11/20 11:03 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
That most likely was a swarm looking for a new home....all the ones I’ve encountered were very passive....

Actually, one time I was out walking as a swarm passed over me....it was kinda cool being in a whirlwind of bees for about 10 minutes....it was a huge swarm and they were moving kinda slow...had several bump into me...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Be careful out there [Re: stxranchman] #7970768 09/12/20 11:52 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I always kept the Shell or Hot Shot No-Pest strips in my blinds year round in South Texas and the Hill Country starting about 1992. It will not keep wasps or bees out totally but it will kill them if they try to stay in the blinds overnight. I had honey bees inside a hunting camphouse one time when I got there in June. I opened up 3 No Pest strips and tossed them inside after I barely opened the door. I came back 3 hrs later and there was dead bees everywhere and what lived had left. The camphouse was closed and hot inside and the chemical in the Pest Strips spread quickly in that hot air trapped inside. Same thing happens in a tightly closed deer blind.

I use them all the time and keep a can of hornet spray in each blind. Heck, one blind gets a bug bomb just about every year too.

OP, definitely a blessing that everything worked out. Y'all be safe! cowboy

[Linked Image]
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Hudbone] #7970777 09/12/20 12:08 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Wasps and hornets don’t like tractors. I’m always worried on my tractor in East Texas where I hunt now.

I had those big wasps on the solar panel on one of my feeders, I think the are called Cicada Killers. I sprayed them and got most of them, couple that I didn’t get seemed to have a good memory and came back for me, I was amazed at how far they flew but knew right where I was when they came back. I haven’t checked all my blinds, I need to even though they are sealed good, wasps can still find a way in.

Last edited by Gringocazador; 09/12/20 12:08 PM.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Be careful out there [Re: Gringocazador] #7970932 09/12/20 03:40 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Gringocazador
Wasps and hornets don’t like tractors. I’m always worried on my tractor in East Texas where I hunt now.

I had those big wasps on the solar panel on one of my feeders, I think the are called Cicada Killers. I sprayed them and got most of them, couple that I didn’t get seemed to have a good memory and came back for me, I was amazed at how far they flew but knew right where I was when they came back. I haven’t checked all my blinds, I need to even though they are sealed good, wasps can still find a way in.

I swear by this product. Knocks them dead immediately. Kills them so fast many will be left dead clinging to the nest. You'll find the foaming spray more often but I like the regular spray product because it has wider coverage. I did see it on the shelf at my local Walgreens. They won't take the can away from you like they do with some of the other wasp killing sprays. Be careful not to pick up their roach killer because the cans look almost identical. The foaming spray is still better than anything offered by other product makers IMO.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/12/20 03:46 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide