Forums46
Topics537,993
Posts9,731,518
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: sallysue] #7960710 09/03/20 07:50 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by sallysue
Why would you wanna shoot one ? we are taking lot of the animals habitat away from them

Don’t need a reason. Just wanting to is good enough.

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Judd] #7960726 09/03/20 08:04 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Hard to beat Mtn lion Taco Tuesday

You're confusing Mtn Lion with Cougar. bang

Cougars are more like plateau lions, gravity and time have worked their magic.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7960819 09/03/20 09:32 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Why not. Although they are not rare, actually rather plentiful, seeing one while hunting may be a once in a lifetime chance to shoot one for a trophy.
Also they are most plentiful in sheep and goat country and yes they can and do devastate those animals when they get a chance.

I think sitting in a stand and seeing one to shoot would be only 2nd to calling one in while varmint hunting.
I would want to hunt them with dogs though. To me not a lot of sport.

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7960830 09/03/20 09:41 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I ate a mountain lion hotdog once.

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: sallysue] #7960941 09/04/20 12:22 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by sallysue
Why would you wanna shoot one ? we are taking lot of the animals habitat away from them

[Linked Image]

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: redchevy] #7961181 09/04/20 10:27 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy

Yes, but cougars are more "enthusiastic" about their prey than mountain lions.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Grizz] #7961192 09/04/20 10:58 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Grizz
Originally Posted by redchevy

Yes, but cougars are more "enthusiastic" about their prey than mountain lions.

I would eat a mountain lion, not sure about a cougar grin

texas flag

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: jeffbird] #7961234 09/04/20 12:16 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by jeffbird
There are far more people that present a danger to humans than mountain lions that do so.

I see no reason to bother the cats unless they bother me, which has not happened yet despite being in proximity to them doing bird surveys.

Um.....yeah
And that can be stated for any animal I would think.
But, since this is a hunting forum and they are a great predator and would make an unbelievable once in a lifetime trophy, that alone puts them at the top of my list.
Then add in the fact that I do raise a few cattle so I damn sure don't want one hanging around near my place!

I'm guess by this post you made you likely don't own livestock of any kind.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Stub] #7961931 09/04/20 11:11 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R

I would eat a mountain lion, not sure about a cougar grin[/quote]

I have eaten a couple of cougars myself, tasty! Hah!

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7961989 09/05/20 12:06 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Shoot. Have shot one would do it again and again. Those things are hell on livestock and with how elusive they are there is no way hunters have the slightest impact on their population.

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7962135 09/05/20 03:00 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I'm in the would not shoot group.

Good to know that some are around and that their numbers seem to be slowly increasing (along with their range).

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7962237 09/05/20 11:30 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have posted this here several times before. Trail camera caught this guy some years back on our lease. Inside our feed pen - guessing he was looking for a nice deer to take down.

Our LO saw one cross a sendero right around the time this pic was taken so most likely was this guy - we saw other sign of him - would have shot him in a minute had I seen him live

and no that is not a collar around his neck - shadow from the camera

[Linked Image]

You can't fix stupid
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7962323 09/05/20 02:48 PM
C
CSA81 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I know they are on our ranch, just haven’t seen one yet. I think it would depend on the circumstances. Driving around and see it run out, probably a pass. However, if I find one glassing or call it in I’m taking the shot.

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7962633 09/05/20 10:01 PM
ttechcolleyville Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
No, but I would love to see one. Maybe my all time favorite wild critter. Would love to get a pic of one in his or her natural habitat though.

My NM elk guide showed me a few pics of lions caught on a couple of his trail cams in recent weeks leading up to elk season. Said he was out checking cams a couple of weeks ago and heard a noise up in a tree - mountain lion looking right at from about 30 yards away. I asked him if he got a picture and he laughed. He said he was all puckered up and backed slowly the heck out of there.

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #7962861 09/06/20 02:30 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ttechcolleyville
No, but I would love to see one. Maybe my all time favorite wild critter. Would love to get a pic of one in his or her natural habitat though.

My NM elk guide showed me a few pics of lions caught on a couple of his trail cams in recent weeks leading up to elk season. Said he was out checking cams a couple of weeks ago and heard a noise up in a tree - mountain lion looking right at from about 30 yards away. I asked him if he got a picture and he laughed. He said he was all puckered up and backed slowly the heck out of there.

Took this picture in Colorado last year. Fascinating creatures that are crazy elusive. [Linked Image]

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: krmitchell] #7963061 09/06/20 02:23 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted by krmitchell
Shoot. Have shot one would do it again and again. Those things are hell on livestock and with how elusive they are there is no way hunters have the slightest impact on their population.

Houndsmen can have an effect on their population. Our areas have limits . They help keep mother nature in check but they can and do affect deer populations, elk to some extent.
We had a female set up home around the hay meadows where we manage. The deer simply disappeared. We kept seeing sign of it and finally jumped her from the creek bottom in the meadows. Deer are back now.
They are cats and will kill just for the thrill or fun of it. I sat in on a necropsy in California ways back, the big male lion had sat at a fence crossing and killed 32 sheep that came by, didn't eat a one. Just killed them as they kept filing by.
Lion numbers are stable across the west and we've seen them in N Texas.
This female had been feeding well on mule deer.

[Linked Image]

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Wytex] #7963128 09/06/20 03:53 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Wytex

Houndsmen can have an effect on their population. Our areas have limits . They help keep mother nature in check but they can and do affect deer populations, elk to some extent.
We had a female set up home around the hay meadows where we manage. The deer simply disappeared. We kept seeing sign of it and finally jumped her from the creek bottom in the meadows. Deer are back now.
They are cats and will kill just for the thrill or fun of it. I sat in on a necropsy in California ways back, the big male lion had sat at a fence crossing and killed 32 sheep that came by, didn't eat a one. Just killed them as they kept filing by.

[Linked Image]

Should have added a qualifier of “in Texas” hunters aren’t touching their numbers since not as many folks run dogs hunting them. Colorado has quotas as well.

Last edited by krmitchell; 09/06/20 03:54 PM.
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7963191 09/06/20 05:14 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've only seen two in the wild and had shot at one of them, I went for my camera instead. He blew past me so fast I didn't get a picture. If I was on a cat hunt I'd have no problem taking one, if I see one on the ranch it get's a pass. If they were to become a problem on the ranch then they would be removed.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 09/06/20 05:15 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7963318 09/06/20 07:39 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I would take the shot.

When I lived in Trophy Club (On Hwy 114 between Roanoke and Southlake in the DFW Metroplex) we saw big cat tracks many times on Corps of Engineer land between Trophy Club and Marshall Creek.

When I lived and hunted in Nolan County there were some local guys that had hounds that would come out on request. Their one caveat was as soon as you saw a big cat, call them ASAP so they can get on the scent. A lot of folks don't realize that a mountain lion can cover up to 60 miles in one day.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: krmitchell] #7963335 09/06/20 08:22 PM
ttechcolleyville Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman

Took this picture in Colorado last year. Fascinating creatures that are crazy elusive. [Linked Image]

Wow! Great pic. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7963573 09/07/20 12:04 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Had a chance and could have killed one in central Nevada 40 years ago, but passed even knowing they kill a lot of Mule deer.

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: gusick] #7963609 09/07/20 12:34 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by gusick
I ate a mountain lion hotdog once.

Sure it wasn’t a tranny cougar...... bolt

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: krmitchell] #7963903 09/07/20 07:52 AM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D

Wow! What a fantastic photo. Were you hunting at the time that you took the pic?

Mountain lion, leopard, caracal. These amazing cats are super-elusive wherever they exist. I assume bobcats are also elusive?

For a long time I wanted to shoot a caracal because of how elusive they are and the fact that I had not shot one. They also cause damage to livestock farmers in many areas and those farmers generally encourage you to shoot them. Well I have spent a lot of time walking in the bush in my life and also spent lots of time in various national parks and reserves and I have only seen one of these elusive cats and that was while driving on my friend's farm. There was no time to shoot even if I had wanted to shoot from the vehicle which I don't normally do. It seems however that, for caracals specifically, as time goes by so the motivation to shoot one is waning. Unless the farmer specifically requests that I shoot all caracal (many farmers do not insist that you shoot them) I would be shooting it just to tick it off my species list as I do not have the space for a mount. We will have to see what happens when our paths eventually cross.

If I was a landowner and a mountain lion was causing stock loss then I would shoot it. Otherwise I would let it be.

Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #7964100 09/07/20 02:39 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
On my very first deer hunt in Texas, I was 19 years old, my brother and I walked up on a mountain lion.
We were going to stalk up on a field that was known for deer in the morning. As we crept up a mountain lion walked out on the trail in front of us, maybe 30-40yards away. He never knew we were there, he was just walking as if he didn't have a care in the world.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Mt. Lions....shoot or don't shoot?? [Re: krmitchell] #7964121 09/07/20 02:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Wytex

[Linked Image]

Should have added a qualifier of “in Texas” hunters aren’t touching their numbers since not as many folks run dogs hunting them. Colorado has quotas as well.

I know a few TX and NM hounds men that run cats in Texas. Mainly big ranch in South Texas and West Texas, but a lot more then you would think.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide